Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

Hello all,

That time of the year where I gotta get myself a warbird after finishing all my previous projects. I found ESMWarbirds onTroy built models website. Its a fiberglass fuselage, and I was wondering what you guys thought about the ESMWarbirds. I saw the video and it looked pretty nice, (yes it can look nice and be a hunk of junk). Whats the ESMstand for? I think the M is models, what about the E and S? Thats not very important. IDONTWANTACHINAMADEAIRPLANE!!!! Is it China?

Thanks all you warbirds fans such as me!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

ESM stands for ever soaring models.

ESM is made in China.

I have the FW-190 and I like it, however it is not scale. Mine is the older all composite version and it came out quite
heavy so it took somewhat getting used. But the newer versions have built up wings so they are lighter.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
LargeScale88

Are the new wings balsa sheeted or not a solid wing?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
dvs1

They are sheeted.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 AM
LargeScale88

So overall they are a pretty goof ARF with descent quality. How about the custom retracts they have? Those junk?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Its all about the import business . The esm line was sold for years under the name KMP .... KMP touted the qulaity of there planes for years . The breakup published on RCU was quoted(not exactly ) as "well the continued quality of the esm is not quite up to the quality of the KMP line " its pretty much stated in that manner .

So your supposed to believe that that esm was not or will not continue to make quality rc planes up to the once touted qc image of KMP .
Under KMP there were just as many qc issues that some report now with esm - As stated FW190 being off scale and heavy , my corsair with reversed wing scoops or flaps that did not match, very weak canopy plastic all under KMP

Bottom line is this I believe that esm will and had made some of the best warbirds you will ever get for the money . As a rc modeler ,you have to have the skills to tweek , modifiy ect the plane into the best safest flying model I say this because if your flying anything over a 120 size enegine (and all of these planes are large ) you need to look at the model and simply make some tweeks like you would on any model .

For me being able to get a 70" span great looking rc warbird for $300 or less is an incredible steal . I bought the 1/6 Scale Pica P40 new in box in 1992 for $275 , you can see how value has increased and cost have come down .

The retract as sold under KMP as gen 5 were total crap , I paid full price $200 and will need to but sierra and they were never touted as China junk as the KMP teams now states that you "get what you pay for "

Bottom line ESM is very well worth the money in rc warbirds , read the post , for the most part there are rave reviews , the most recent high wing German fighter has some issues that are being reviewed but the rest of the planes are great .
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

I have one of the new stukas and love it. It lands nice and slow and doesnt have any tip stall problems. I have an aerovate 26 cc gasser for power and it weighs about 16 lbs. Check out the thread, kmp stuka build details...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 AM
alanc

the gentleman does NOT WANT A KIT MADE IN CHINA, so no point commenting further, i fear that his quest will lead to a laser cut kit, and a plan build, shame, our designs are quite good,
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Yes they are. I quite like my Stuka. I'll be picking up an Fw-190 this summer. There are some drawbacks to these planes, but nothing that isn't easily remedied. The main drawback for me has been the totally horrendous and useless directions. They have actually caused me to make a couple of critical errors. I was lucky that I noticed early and was able to correct the issues for the most part. If they can get someone who has a good hold on the Engrish language to write the instructions, then these planes will become an unbelievable deal.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
LargeScale88

So if I want the p-47, buy top flites giant kit or zirolis kit? I have the building experience, i just saw the ESMLink and questioned on it. Ive built the ziroli b-25, and p-51. Any threads on the ziroli p-47 out there?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

No China means building a kit , so you really want to go to rcscalebuilders , you will see kits being build , scratch build and so on .
Great reviews , on line builds and all the pros and cons of the variuos offerings
Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

If you're a Ziroli type of warbird guy, then you're not going to be satisfied with ESM ARFs. It's not a fair comparison. I have seen a kit built scaled out TF P-47 razorback version with ZDZ super 80 in it. Boy, I'd love to get my hands on one if I can find a seller. Definitely worth building. The plane weighs a ton but lands super smooth like a Boeing 747. I'd love to get my hands on a Ziroli P47 too. Have not seen up close the Robart P47 though. That ARF may meet your need if not willing to build. I would not say the same about the TF P47 ARF. Finish looks goofy to me.
I saw a big thread on the Robart p47. You can search it out on RCU.
Or wait patiently for a guy who does not want his Ziroli or TF p47 anymore and want to sell, then take it home a clean it up to your taste. That's my solution to getting a scaled out warbird but not willing to build.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

So if I want the p-47, buy top flites giant kit or zirolis kit? I have the building experience, i just saw the ESM Link and questioned on it. Ive built the ziroli b-25, and p-51. Any threads on the ziroli p-47 out there?

Thanks
You should also take a look at Meister designs - they have a nice looking p47 - 102 inch wing I think. There are a couple of other giant scale wabird designers out there in addition to Ziroli and Meister. Also there are kitcutters who will cut the parts for these planes if you want to buy the parts that way and build the plane yourself.

Ed
Old 05-08-2010, 03:57 PM
dvs1

If you do buy an ESM plane make sure you do not get the retracts, they are junk. Make sure you buy a set from Sierra, they are much better.

Personally if I was looking for a giant scale P-47 I would go with the 102" Meister.
They offer an awesome fiberglass fuse so all you have to do is build the wing and tail sufaces!

Ziroli too offers a fiberglass fuse for their 90" sized plane, but as stated I would prefer to build the Meister.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
alanc

dvs1, what esm plane have you got then? i fly 4, all have our own brand retracts, i have only had minor problems, such as 2 air valves, and a couple of crappy t pieces,bit of play, but that doesnt bother me,all work ok, and are still working ok, so, which esm model do you have ?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Neo gold

I cannot fault my Yt Stuka in any way shape or form.....its simply stunning & in the air..words cannot express...
i would like a Hurricane & a Typhoon...

This one comes in @ 7.2kg..i checked weight the other day...could not fly as it was gales again!...its fully laden with extra's & the superb metal 50mm Tank busters, i need a siren.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 PM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a KMP P-47 that I'm very happy with. Power is from a Syssa 30cc gasser. Retracts; Sierra Giant (they are the best!). Weighs 14lbs, 4oz. I found that the recommended c.g. is about 1/2" - 3/4" too far aft. Also, the firewall needs reinforcing. I used carbon fiber cloth and Hysol epoxy (very effective).[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55149.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1433112  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
dvs1

alanc, I have the first version of the FW-190, one of the first released. I started the build thread on it here on RCU. I believe back then they were GENIII retracts. I admit at first I was ok with them, but after a few flights they became really sloppy and alway have had problems with leaking air cylinders. I never could get them to where I was happy with them. That and the fact what I paid for them with the plane when I bought them I could have had a set of Sierra Giant retracts for like 50 dollars more.
So knowing what I know now I would have just bought the plane and bought the retracts from Sierra seperately. Im the type of person if it doesnt work right it goes in the garbage! Other than that though I am very happy with the quality of the plane itself. As stated I have the all composite version and I love it. It isn't scale but it is a great weekend flier!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
LargeScale88

Whats the quality of the fiberglass fuselages? Some are just 2 layers, which is so think its stupid, like paper.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
dvs1

On my FW-190 the fuse is pretty good quality, its not as good as it could be as there are a few spots between the cockpit and the tail that are a little soft. But it is much better than a CMP spitfire I had.

All and all I would say it is pretty sturdy.

There is a build thread here on RCU for my FW-190 if you want to check it out, I know you want a P-47 but it would give you an idea of the quality of the planes.

I have had a few Chinese ARF's and as far as ARF's are concerned and I think ESM offers a decent line.

Again they are great to get you in the air quick but nothing will ever replace the quality and looks of a kit built plane in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

If you like to build !! nothing even comes close to a Meister P-47. Especially in the GIANT catagorie !! The next best one would be a yellow aircraft. Very detailed and very accurate !! Then I would say Zeroli & Top Flight !! If the new T.F. arf is anything like their P-51, it should be a winner !!

Name:	Us53546.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1433141  
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dvs1

If you do buy an ESM plane make sure you do not get the retracts, they are junk. Make sure you buy a set from Sierra, they are much better.

I wish I had paid attention to that advise. I went ahead and bought the retracts with my b-model mustang mostely because it looked like a cheap way to get scale aluminum wheels. Surprise, surprise, the wheels are NOT scale. They are stock aluminum hub with round holes in it, not a mustang wheel.

I haven't started assembly yet, but overall it looks great for the money. Several folks in my area have different ESM models and all have been dis-satisfied with the stock hardware. Not a big deal for my because I usually like to use my preferred setups anyway.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have their Sea Fury with a few added details. Discontinued, but I would buy another (waiting on KMP's Fw-190 D9). Horrible instructions, but enough to get you through it.

Name:	Kh17571.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1433257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58187.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1433258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91194.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1433259  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 AM
alanc

ORIGINAL: dvs1

alanc, I have the first version of the FW-190, one of the first released. I started the build thread on it here on RCU. I believe back then they were GENIII retracts. I admit at first I was ok with them, but after a few flights they became really sloppy and alway have had problems with leaking air cylinders. I never could get them to where I was happy with them. That and the fact what I paid for them with the plane when I bought them I could have had a set of Sierra Giant retracts for like 50 dollars more.
So knowing what I know now I would have just bought the plane and bought the retracts from Sierra seperately. Im the type of person if it doesnt work right it goes in the garbage! Other than that though I am very happy with the quality of the plane itself. As stated I have the all composite version and I love it. It isn't scale but it is a great weekend flier!

AH, the early ones, from KMP, i think you will find the new ones better, on yours, did you know about the eccentric cam adjuster on them? many dont, look at the cross bars, they have a hole through them, untighten the frame bolts, insert a bar into the hole, and turn it, its on a cam, and will remove a lot of play, no doubt sierras are the dogs danglys, but at the price these retracts are now, they are worth a punt,

mention has been made about the ally wheels, they are NOT scale, and we certainly dont class them as scale,have you SEEN some of the scale wheels form the likes of glennisand the price of them? the wheels are generic to the various retractsit would be IMPOSSIBLE to do any other,i for one wish i could find some simple resin wheel covers that just clip in,perhaps a job for a clever guy who does cockpits???
Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

[quote]ORIGINAL: dvs1

No doubt, Sierra's are fine gear but at over twice the price of the ESM gear. I have the ESM gear on a ESM Spitfire and they are more than adequate. They do not leak, the metal works is just as good as Robart or CJM (can't comment on Sierra as I've never owned a set). The only thing I did change on the gear were the air cylinders themselves and I got after-market "air up/spring down" units from YT International and I did use a Robart valve instead of the OEM valve.(personal preference since I had experience setting up a Robart valve). Of course I respect the opinion of others, this is just mine.

Happy Flying!

Loopman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.