Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Opinions on Century Jet Gears

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

So go with the Robart set? I've seen about 3 warbirds that cost alot of $$$$ that crash on landing because of stupid CJΒ*gear. I've been flying my B-17 Don Smith without any gear collapse and its a robart gear. Thanks Guys
    Just curious...why did you ask for all these opinions if you have seen all these crashes with "stupid CJ gear"? If Robart has worked for you go with it. Sounds like you have had much success with Robart. This thread can go on forever with good and bad experiences. I do wonder what your motivation was to start this discussion when in your own opinion you witnessed crashes that were the result of "stupid CJ gear". You started this thread with an objective question but it looks like several responses later you shared your own preconceived opinion about CJ gear.

I suppose from time to time it is good to have discussions about the good and bad of all the products we use in our hobby. But there are a lot of people who have had good and bad experiences with CJM, Robart and Sierra. I have many years of flying warbirds with CJ gear and never a failure but that is only me. Fly with what you love and if you see failures due to poor design move on. Thats what I would recommend.

Now let's talk about something really important...who makes better radios FUTABA, JR or someone else??? I fly FUTABA...I've seen to many crashes from guys using JR!
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK...my vote is Airtronics then [sm=cool.gif]. 26 years straight.
    Where's my glue....I gotta build!
    Spitfire Bro #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent response from Century Jet. I only have one pair, but I really like the attitude of trying to improve. I personnally like the looks of century jet retracts and availability, which is the reason I purchased. I can not speak for anyone else retracts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bruce Sanders

Product Announcement Effective May 18, 2010

Effective today, we will institute a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty against manufacturing defects.
    Rivets will be replaced with screws.
    Special pivot pins will be use on all Centurion and 1/5 Scale Landing Gear to eliminate excessive play
    Life Time Warranty still applies to Centurion Inner Struts for gear purchase after 2008
    We will develop a stronger landing gear with 90 days for 30-50 pound landing gear
    Retro-Fit standard Centurion inner strut with the Bullet Proof Struts is $25.00 with free P&H within the USA
    We will begin to phase out the cast P-51 aluminum Centurion lower strut and replace it with a stainless steel lower leg.

Although we have continually tried to product top quality gear, the above areas require immediate improvement. How about giving us an opportunity to reflect what is on paper?

Wow.

Now that is stepping up.

No bull about it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bruce,

You have taken an amazing attitude in this thread and many of the posts appear to be more negative than positive. You accepted the criticism and have taken affirmative steps to address the issues which have been raised. I have read in this thread about your excellent customer service and the attitude you have displayed backs up these favorable remarks. I look forward to seeing your newly enhanced products hit the market.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

F4u5 Jeff,

You are correct. Tim Evans is from Louisville and buys (full retail price) a lot of landing gear for his kits. You are wrong if you think he is or has been associated with my company. He pays for his gear and is one of many modelers I have selected throughout the country for operational testing. I know he had them in his B-25 and other kits with posts on RCU. He is a respected man in his community.

Reference the 1/16'' steel side plates, if you want the Drone side planes which at .100 thick, you can get them fora few dollars more.

Attached are photos of custom landing gear we made for Mike Barbee and Damon Atwood. See Damon's 100'' B-36 build thread is on RCU. He sent the gear we built for him to a structual engineer and was told they exceed Damon's specifications. We have made drone landing gear for the Florida Institute of Technology and Aerotonomy (who was a subcontractor to Georgia Tech University). Both of these company's came to Century Jet Models. One of these gear had to meet a critical design review for NASA.

Bottom line, if you want custom gear, give us a call. Give us the same specifications and drawings. See who gives you more bang for the buck. You might be surprised.

Cheers

One thing Bruce missed by a mile, my B-36 is not 100" span, it is 257" span.

Thanks, DAG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will say that I have 2 sets of CJ's and both have been crap. I had a set in a H-9 Corsair and yes while I was not the best lander (I will admit that) Anything other than a PERFECT landing required readjustment! I now have a set in a Top Flite mustang 60 size and while they are better the pins that hold the strut to the retract BEND WAY TO EASY!!!!! I have bought replacement pin after replacement pin! I am now trying to decide what to replace them with in the TF mustang. The Corsair i sold and now have a ESM Corsair on the table with a set of Sierra retracts in it. They are first rate.

I will be honest the CJs retracts are not that bad but they (to me) need a stronger strut to retract joining! And the bottom end that rotates needs to be something other than aluminum.
    Michael.M Waco brother #187

P-47 Brotherhood #22

And Certified Warbird Nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most of my gear are CJs , I love the gear . I started in the hobby with Robart and after I bought them I went to look at my pay chech and it did not say I worked for Robart .
    So I wondered why I need to do about 75% of the assembly on Robart , cutting , drilling , tapping ect and then in the end after spending $132 on the 615 and another $70 on the struts and another $39 on the air support kit I was so happy when the scissor on the 615 teens bent in on a less then (but not bad landing ) .

So I ordered a pair of CJs for my P47 . I was so elated on how they were assembled , the solid feel , the P47 look ect and they worked great . I even wrote Bruce as a total unknown on how happy I was with the gear .
    Since then I have owned over 10 sets of CJs and every set but one of my rotating gear is CJs .
    I own sierra Fw190 gear , and Sierra P40 rotating gear , yes they are also very nice but they are my most expensive gear .

Bruce is all over these threads and has fixed my gear if and when i landed poorly and I mean poorly lol , I like CJ gear and have always suggested them
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 10 year old fw-190 with over 200 flights on it and my cj gear STILL works fine! CJ also made a custom set of gear for a Tigercat that are spectacular. Try and get Robart to custom make some gear....and have it look and function in a scale fashion. Aint gonna happen!
    \"I dont have an attitude, rather, you have a perception problem\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny you say that when Robart announced about 5 years ago they were comeing with out some new gear for some of the new ARFs I spent an hour on the phone with them about the most popular arfs ect and addressing the market . They asked a ton of questions bla bla bla and noting , niltch , nada no new products that we addressed at that time .
    We spoke about the new launch of the h9 warbirds and how they were going to address the P40 , Corsair , P51 ect by Hanger 9
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[:'(]But for me, other experiences with this company. I ordered a set of landing gears for Zirolli A6M5 "Zero". What could be simpler? Everybody knows it - the high struts 11" and 85 *. But it turned out that the employees of this company is very difficult. Instead of 11" struts, they sent me the chassis with 7". But then (after my call), they sent 11".Like all OK, but after I installed the landing gears on the plane and opened them - guess what I saw? That's right - instead 85* they were 90*. I'm not talking about that instead of the promise of 1-2 days I waited for my order 2 weeks .
    \"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a set of Fw 190 gear for the Meister D9.
    Evil Merlin - So you haven't actually used the revised CJM 190 gear? Back in 01' I built a Meister D9 with their 'original' design (no downlink assembly). Flew the plane just six flights before covering up. The angle on installation was simply too great for their gear. In fact the gear would flex like a wet noodle with just the weight of the model.
    With Dean G's assistance, CJM modified my old gear with the downlink strut and provided a new sequential valve complimentary! Nine years later I'm resurrecting the model and installing this gear. Hope all goes well...

Not to contradict myself but for what it's worth, I successful flew the daylights out of a Meister P-47 for 10 years without one single gear issue; gear used - Century Jet. Yes, they may have wobbled, but never collasped or failed to operate.

NICK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking of having Bruce custom make me a set of rotating retracts for my 125" wing span Ziroli Corsair. The fuse is 101" from the front of the cowl to the tip os the tail cone. I want dual cylinders and 1" struts for extra strength. I spoke to him last night and was impressed when he answered his phone at 7:00pm his time. He said we could design them together with my spec's and his knowledge. What do you if any think of the Century Jet Jumbo Retracts? I asked him for all bolts and locknuts for everything and he said there won't be any rivets in them as they have quit doing it. The two air cylinders will be used to make sure if there are any leaks that they will always go down. I have a two Jumbo air tank setup already. Here is the fuse of the Corsair they will be used on. I'm waiting for the retracts before I build the three piece wing.

Barry
    www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96739.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1469101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl31095.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	1469102  
    Barry - Owner of Canopy Rails For Warbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nor will I ever, the downlink works in the WRONG DIRECTION.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Evil Merlin is wrong, once again! Look at the photo of the REAL FW-190 gear and the picture of the CJM FW-190 gear. The over-center link goes the same direction. Check out the other gear manufacturer's gear and I think you will find they go the wrong direction.

Who cares? You don't see it when the gear raises and extends. As long as the over-center works, it works.

Sorry guys but the Evil Merlin is being vindictive for reasons unknown!

Name:	Qo39007.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	1469765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99295.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1469766  
    Bruce Sanders
    Century Jet Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

For those who would like to see the factual operation of the FW-190 landing gear, please click on this link:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f...dinggear_1.htm

The facts speak for themselves.

Bruce Sanders

Name:	Om33602.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	1469857  
    Bruce Sanders
    Century Jet Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are right Bruce, on both accounts, about the gear and Merlin. Here is a close up shot I took of the FW 190 in the national air and space museum.
    I know the Germans were the best engineers in the history of the world but not even they could make an offset hinge fold in on itself.

Name:	Yw68721.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	1469858  
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your comments.

For everyone. If you have an issue with a manufacturer, take a minute and contract them and express your concern. About 2 years ago I retired and normally available 5 days a week. If I am in Louisville, I normally have the phone forwarded to me so give us a call if you have an issue.

There is one comment about the Ziroili Zero landing gear and the extension angle not being 85 degrees. When I read the email, I went to the office Saturday and searched our documentation and could not find anything that indicated 85 degrees. I am not doubting my customer's statement. It doesn't cost us a penny more to make a set of gear 85 or 90 degree extension angle. We have the plans for this plane and when we don't see specifications on the plans, we default to 90 degrees. I know the next statement...everyone knows a Zero and P-51 landing gear are 85 degrees. Ziroli, Platt, Don Smith, and many more kit designers angle the landing gear plate which allows a set of 90 degree landing gear to only come down 85 degrees. We do it on our P-51 and Spitfire kits by rotating the landing gear in the X, Y, and Z axis to achieve the desired extension angle and rake forward/rear angle and use a standard 90 degree landing gear.

Have a nice day!
    Bruce Sanders
    Century Jet Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

As far as my experience with CJM and their products are concerned, I've commented in the past about that. No big secret I've either returned or sold most of what I bought immediately. What I'd like to add now is that aside from my experience with the product, I've always admired their tenacity. It takes guts to keep plugging away amidst so much criticism and now, with that latest announcement, it shows more than just tenacity but also humility. I think that things can only improve for them if they stick to this new attitude, and maybe one day I'll give them another shot. Frankly, I wish there were more American companies in this hobby.
    Yellow Aircraft, JetCat Engines and Turn Key Jets
    yellowaircraftplanesdotcom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have owned two set's. Both for .60 size airplanes. TF- P-51 and TF P-40.
    I would not do it again...... Try Sierra. You will not be disappointed.

I have received a couple of E-mails from Bruce regarding my post. It sounds like he
    is making some changes and I wish him all the best in his efforts. I hope he makes it happen.

Flakbait

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is one comment about the Ziroili Zero landing gear and the extension angle not being 85 degrees. When I read the email, I went to the office Saturday and searched our documentation and could not find anything that indicated 85 degrees. I am not doubting my customer's statement. It doesn't cost us a penny more to make a set of gear 85 or 90 degree extension angle. We have the plans for this plane and when we don't see specifications on the plans, we default to 90 degrees. I know the next statement...everyone knows a Zero and P-51 landing gear are 85 degrees. Ziroli, Platt, Don Smith, and many more kit designers angle the landing gear plate which allows a set of 90 degree landing gear to only come down 85 degrees. We do it on our P-51 and Spitfire kits by rotating the landing gear in the X, Y, and Z axis to achieve the desired extension angle and rake forward/rear angle and use a standard 90 degree landing gear.

Have a nice day!
    You don't have to be a rocket scientist to find out what kind of gears need to be on a A6M5 "Zero".Pay more attention on a Ziroli documentation.Thay are mentioned Robart gears 154, and Sierra retracts,but not a CJM-wondering why?

Name:	Ay75398.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	1471239  
    \"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Phantom4

Have a nice day!
    You don't have to be a rocket scientist to find out what kind of gears need to be on a A6M5 ''Zero''.Pay more attention on a Ziroli documentation.Thay are mentioned Robart gears 154, and Sierra retracts,but not a CJM-wondering why?

Not to mention I don't think it would be possible to even come close to the scale angles on a Spitfire using 90 degree retract units as suggested by Mr. Sanders here. You may be able to get them to work but it aint going to look right!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a real good gears for this size( 40 and 60) try LADO Technologies [link]http://www.lado-tech.net/[/link]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing but junk in my opinion
    Greg Wright
    Not a Team Horizon member/ But would love to be one!!!!!!!!!!!! BVM Jets/Jetcat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not going to make any statements about who's landing gear is better than who's..

But I will say that I fly a 12lb mustang with CJM 60-size oleos & retract from a grass field without any issues at all. I'm very pleased with them. The connector pins bent once after a nearly catastrophic takeoff-gone-wrong, but that was my fault not CJMs. And the bent pins saved my model because they absorbed the impact and my retract mounts were completely undamaged. I had my landing gear fixed in 15 minutes with a little hammering to straighten out the pins. Peice o' cake, and they have worked great since.
    Fly War-Clouds.com
    WWII Online Air Combat \\\\ Western Front

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast