Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Revoloution 50 eng.?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Revoloution 50 eng.?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revoloution 50 eng.?

Has anyone heard any recent reports on the Revolution 50 eng. I 'am thinking of buying one for my Jerry Bates P-40 B . I know there were reports of some problems a few years back but has anyone heard or run one of these engines . Any information would be appreciated.

thanks bob
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Revoloution 50 eng.?

I had one a couple of years ago Bob. I bought it new for a TF P-51 ARF and ended up selling it after 3 dead stick landings/crashes due to it shutting down after overheating. It would run perfect with the cowl removed but not cowled in, which is why I attribute the shutdowns to heating. I built the model with baffled air around the head, opened up the back of the firewall behind the head with a tunnel for the hot air to exhaust all to no avail. It started great and when it ran it made excellent power. I put a DA-50 in the setup and it ran flawless for over 2 years.

The manufacturer is apparently aware of this problem as they offer a cooling impeller for 70 bucks, which is silly in my opinion considering what you pay for the motor. My uneducated call is they designed the motor without sufficient cooling fin area. When you look at the head it has the same fin depth as a glow motor. The other data I offer is do a casual sample of how many of these engines are out there and being used successfully.

DA, DLE, AEROVATE, 3W...there are plenty of engines with proven track records out there.

Good luck, Jerry Bates stuff is cool.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
masteromodels

Greg The only reason I was thinking of using this eng. is that it looks like it has a long crank and that would make it a easier fit then most other engines. The P-40 B has a shallow cowl that sits back futher then the E- model. I will see if I get any other response befor I make any decision. I do appreciate the feed back. If I go with some other eng. I will probably need to have an extension made.

thanks bob
Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw the first Evolution engines at Toledo some years ago. I told the designer that his metal spacer between the carb and the crankcase was going to cause heat problems. He just looked at me and smiled. I told him I had a lot of years in 2cycle engine design etc.. didn't seem to matter.. I believe that part has now been replaced but I'm not sure. The problem now with the engine appears to be heat soak. There may be work arounds but I haven't heard of any that are really sufficient for cowled engines.. Take a look at the 3W engine line up. I think they may have something that'll work.

OR you could go with a Moki 2.1. For sure that'll work in the plane with little or no exposed parts. Its glow but very powerful.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 PM
masteromodels

Hey Bob thank you for your expertize. I was also thinking an OS BGX would probably work with an extension. I have one in one of my TOP-FLITE P-51 's and it pullys it fine. The Jerry Bates P-40 B plans actually show a Super Tigre 3000 with an extension, but I think back then that was abot the only game in town. The OS BGX is almost 2.2 cu about the same as the Moki. It is also some thing to think about.

thanks bob
Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Growler84

I can confirm that will work. I ran a BGX in a Yellow Spitfire for years without a problem. It pulled 20 pounds of static thrust with an APC 20-8 prop running 5% nitro.

I have heard of guys having success with prop shaft extensions on DA's. Before Wayne Sewiert (Aerotech) stopped producing his scale P-51 the DA-50 with a prop shaft extension was what he recommended and sold with the Mustang. Leo S of Spitfire fame also uses a DA-50 with an extension. I'm not sure who makes the extension, it may be Tru Turn. Check the Yellow Aircraft Spitfire build thread and you'll be able to dig up the data with pictures on the DA-50 extension.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sierra makes a prop extention for the DA-motors. We have a guy here that just made his maiden flight on his Skyshark P-40. It has the Revolution 52 in it. I was a little skeptical about it..It had no problems whatsoever.It flew very fast and had alot of vertical climb. got it down(still running), and we checked the temp, and it was not overheating at all.
I would not hesitate to use that motor on a plane like that. An enclosed cowl...No way.

Rebel
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
masteromodels

Hey Rebel the intake on the P-40B is not as much as the P-40E or N . Do you think that has enough opening for the Revolution 50. the hot air out is about the same in area.

thanks bob
Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Rebel Flyer

It will be plenty. I will see if I can get him to post some pics.

Rebel
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
turbo1

I have two brand new, never run Revolution50 if anyone is interested
Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 PM
masteromodels

E-Mail me with a price, and if you have any Photo's

thanks bob
Old 05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
pilotx
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: turbo1

I have two brand new, never run Revolution50 if anyone is interested
you Have PM on engines

-Tracey
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Redwulf__34

Hey guys,
I'm in the same arena but different plane. I'm planning the Meister Scale 84" Me 109. I dont' want half the engine hanging out the side and / or bottom. I was looking at the evolution but after reading around have become skeptical. What else is out there? I'm new to Gas engines so I'm at a real disadvantage. I always used glow before and I am excited about not having to fuel proof a model again!!

Bubi
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Rebel Flyer

It will overheat if you dont get it into the wind.

Rebel
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

What about some reports on the Revo 52 using the cooling fan and shroud on the TF GS P-51, does it solve the cooling issue and any problems with it?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have heard that the problem may be vapor lock because the carb is very close above the muffler and you can solve the problem by putting a heat shield between the two.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Hey JL1, do you think you can find out where you read or heard about the heat shield ? Any pictures or drawings/mounting or what material was used for the shield . I have one of these engine ,haven't run it ,and have a fan/shroud ,and I want every piece of info I can to keep this engine running in my P-51 when I get it going.
Thanks
Joe
Old 07-01-2010, 05:35 AM
JL1

Joey, sorry, I have told all I know
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
dasintex

Joey Snaproll;

I have some photos of the Heat Shield I can post later, I got them from the TF GS P-51 ARF Thread; I also have some websites where the material can be purchased from; I am also putting together this plane with the Revo52, Fan and Shroud.

Doug.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
masteromodels

I have decided to go with the OS BGX , I had the extension made by Gene Barton , who is a great person to deal with , I made a mistake on the nut thread and he made a new one no charge. I have dealt with Gene in the past for spinners and adapters. he is one of the good guys in this hobby. I think what made me choose , was the way The OS BGX is running in my Top-flite P-51, it has not missed a beat turning 8500 rpm on a master air screw with 5% nitro . I figured if I had to purchase a shroud and fan and a heat shield for a new eng. something is not right. My OS has a very nice idle and great response to full throttle , my P-51 weighs approx. 22 lbs. and the Jerry Bates P-40 B will weigh approx. the same.

thanks bob
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Growler84

Good call. Like I said early on, I flew a 28 pound Yellow Spit with a BGX for years. I think you saved yourself a bunch of heartache. It seems like most modelers anymore hear "glow" and run screaming for the hills. Fuel cost aside, they are perfectly suited for many scale models due to their turbine-smooth operating characteristics and power. I'm building another Yellow Spit and was going to put my trusty DA-50 in it until I realized that it won't fit without serious nose butchering because unlike a lot of folks, I cannot run a simple exhaust diverter since we have a 98 dB field restriction. So I dusted my BGX off and its going back in service on my new Spit.

Keep an eye on your bearings in the BGX with the extension. It will work perfectly well but you may see enough wear to warrant replacing the bearings after a season or two. I say this because on my Spit I used the Yellow spinner with a heavy backplate and after 2 seasons I had to replace the engine bearings. It was a very easy job by-the-way.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
masteromodels

Hey Greg I hear you on replacing the bearings especially with the Yellow back plate and spinner . I have a couple of the Yellow P-40 's and those backplates are very heavy. Gene Barton made the spinner and back plate for the Jerry Bates P-40-B and he hollowed out the back of the backplate and it made a big difference. I think this will help with not wearing out the bearings to fast. I drilled out the back plate on one of my Yellow P-40 's and it seems to be working fine. I 'am flying that P-40 with Tigre 4500 and it pulls it fine.

thanks bob
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks JL1, Dasintex, Yea that would be great if you could post those things,Any help to to keep that engine cool and running will be surly looked at.

Joe
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 AM
JL1

Dasintex, that would be great if you could post or link us to that info.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 AM
dasintex

I don't have the Photos, at least not on my Computer, I had printed them off, I found them on the TF Giant P-51 ARF Thread; here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1158439

A RCU guy named Gunny had put together a great build of Baffles and Shielding, the thread is long and the photos are somewhere in the middle; he had a problem with excessive vibration of his Revo52, but the heat shielding and baffles were impressive.

Heat shielding material is available from numerous sources, automotive and/or industruial supply, do a Google search, you will get plenty of hits, I did bookmark one as a good candidate with a product called Infernal Shield http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/in...eat_shield.php

I havn't gotten that far in my Build so I havn't built any baffles or heat shielding yet.

Doug.