Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Captainron:

Thanks. You know the more I've thought about it, the more I realize how lucky I was. If that wheel had of come off a few seconds earlier , the strut would have dug in the runway and caused a flip or spin out cartwheel, etc causing much more damage. If it had stayed on, but just barely, the wheel would probably not have fit in the wheel well, then not knowing the problem it could have come off the rest of the way on landing causing again much more damage over asphalt. So all in all, I'd have to call it a success.
I agree...this group of corsair lovers is a great bunch of talented flyers and I have enjoyed keeping up with everyone during my build. I couldn't have done it without this forum.

Take care and Happy Flying

Marc
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 AM
captainron

flejter1

You are so right man........There are master builders............and then there are master assembleres............We are master assemblers. AND I'M OK WITH THAT...!!!!!

CAPTAIN RON
Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well stated, I'm good with being a Master Assembler!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM
stoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kwik

That looks nice, Stoat!! How many flights do you have now on the Corsair?

And if it is easy for you to check;

What is the fabrication of the ignition module? Inquiring minds wants to know.

Here is an idea; Why not just use those two mounting holes I see there to screw a canopy rail
on top of the cockpit interior lip you have there? It would snugly camouflage the lip and give you the
rails for a sliding canopy....

Holy crap that cockpit looks good!!!

You know that soft edge on top of the instrument panel, that black tube....I used the insulation from a cable....
Did you use that as well?
Kwik, do you mean the Instrument Panel? If so I seem to remember posting some build pick earlier on here somewhere.... If not I will post them tonight.
The soft edge came with the Ty's models cockpit kit. Just split it and pushed it on.
Yep, I will be adding rails to the cockpit edges. Found some really small curtain track so will give that a go.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Yep, we are master assemblers - the only way to go! I dont have the patience for scratch building any more and I am now really allergic to balsa dust after 25 years of breathing it...

The old Horse has had around 30 flights so far and is now nicely run in. Makes a huge amount of noise with the 27in prop! Really has some athourity in the air. Love this plane. There are now at least 3 other 100-111 cc Corsairs being built here in Kiwi Land. Hopefully we will all meet up next Feb for the big national Warbirds meeting. 4 of these will sound incredible!

mmflytie - yeah my wheel fell off as it was coming into the pits. Your right, if it comes of at speed then it tears the wing apart, bends the leg and crushes the canopy and breaks the tail off as it goes over... seen it happen.[&o]
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Retract question for you guys. My ESM air retracts have developed quite the slop in the rotating mechanism - when extended you can wiggle the wheel from toe-in to toe-out almost 1/2". If I get the landing attitude the slighest bit nose down on touchdown, the wheels toe out and once the speed bleeds off (quickly on our rain soaked grass runway) a nose over occurs. The amount of toe-in required to prevent this excess toe-out makes the plane almost impossible to taxi/take-off.

Anyway - was thinking about replacing the gear with some Robart air retracts. Thought I saw on here that one or more have installed the Robarts.

If so, a couple of questions:
1. Has the rotating mechanism held up well such that you don't have much/any slop?
2. Was there any serious modification required to the mid-wing retract area to mount these?
3. Did you use the 150 series or the 148 series Robart retracts?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
mmflytie

Alfa:
I have the robart 150 series and I must say I am very impressed with the machining and robustness. The open is a little wide but I made some plates to extend the width and it has worked just fine. If you are using 4" wheels, there is no problem fitting in bay. I used 41/2" and its very tight...less than a mm of clearance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15100.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1794311  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM
higharc

Alfa: My 1/8" axles on the original ESM air retracts are bending more and more each time I land. I would like to "grease" my landings every time, but!! I wish I could replace those axles, still looking. Wish they were a larger diameter.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Higharc,

I bent an axle in one of my early nose-overs when I hit a pot hole in the grass. Was able to straigten it out, but figured it was now weak and ordered a replacement from these guys:
https://www.arfpros.com/contactus.sc that I had bought the plane from. Haven't had any axle problems since.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
stoat

Ok kids, Toast to the rescue....!
Firstly, bin the stock axles. They are made from cheese. Go and but an M6 stainless bolt and use that. You will have to drill out your wheels and dremmel down the bolt to a precise length, but then you will have a super reliable system.

Rotate mechanism. I have sleeved mine befor I installed it and it is still sweet as after 30+ flights. Drill out the top of the leg where the pin goes throuh to accept a piece of brass tube. The tube must fit over the pin nicely with no slop but still be able to turn freely. Cut this tube about 1mm longer than the top of the leg. Loctite the tube into the top of the leg. Then re-assemble as per with some top quality high pressure grease and tighten the pin up so that it is just got the slightest drag on the tube. I recon you will have to replace the tube about once every 100 or so flights.

These retracts are typical of ESM - the ball system, leg and pivot are over engineered, but the rest hasnt been thought out properly. So easy to fix with a little extra effort on their part, but a pain for us to do. One day, ONE DAY, they will get it right. I may be long dead by then of course....[&:]

If ya'll need pics let me know.

Working on the sliding canopy - what a *****!@$^&%#$. Almost there, so will post when I'm done....

Oh yeah, Im off to see this next month.....

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...d=16707&page=9

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 AM
stoat

Well, its on. Slides ok and there are a couple of gaps but nice and strong and clips closed so shouldnt need to have a catch to keep it shut while flying.

Will give it a run tomorrow without the pilot and see how it goes...

Next up will be the handle and catch (yellow button) and mirrors.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 AM
mmflytie

Stoat:
Nice job. That plastic "construct" stuff is perfect isn't it. I don't know about you, but I had already put my cockpit in so I couldn't get access to the area of the fuse where I put the rear rail in . Didn't have much to glue to but the edges of the fuse. So now after a few flights the vibration has caused it to break loose. What did you use to stiffen the edges of the canopy? I bought this scale rubber windshield edge stripping that was perfect for the front canopy edge and the bottom and back edge of rear canopy. When I slide it forward the wind just blows over edge and rear canopy doesn't balloon, but vibration will open it if I don't use tape. I have to be able to open my canopy to start the plane because I disguised my choke lever as one of the levers coming out of instrument panel. It looks like you had two hole posts on each side of front canopy edge . Is this what the rear snaps into to align it?

Happy flying
Marc

Name:	If10540.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1794613  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
flejter1

Stoat,

Nice job, is yours a manual open & close or did you construct a air or electric opening mechanism? I am still debating to tackle an automated canopy system to open and close it or just screw down my canopy.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
stoat

THanks guys,
the rails are aluminium curtain track. The sliders I made from Plastruct (brilliant stuff!). Laser cut the 2 hoops from 3mm ply. I may have to still use a clip to hold it closed while flying. There is a hole just behind the canopy so I can always put a screw into in. Its just manual opening as I dont have room inside for a mechanism (seriously its realy full in there!).
I used some hard balsa to lay behind the rear rails to help support the fuse. Means they should never pull out as everything is well epoxyed in. The cockpit is removable - just - with the sides and rear being held together with canopy glue. Means I can cut them apart if I need to get to the rudder servo or air tanks.
Bit more detailing to do then onto the dummy radial... Then new tail wheel and detail inside the main gear bays and then some paint and weathering.

Thinking about adding lights... anyone know where they were located? There was one on the underside of each wing but they point straight down...? Why?

Cheers
Brett
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
nudger

Hi guys
You've done a excellent job on the cockpit and sliding canopy stoat,really does look the part...A+
Thanks for the input on my engine flejter1 stoat and kwik but still no joy.Ive contacted the distribitors and gonna do a video diary of the engine acting up to prove its not me or my setup ,and see what happens One thing I know is I can't carry on flying with the worry of a missing engine.

Cheers nudge
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 AM
stoat

Man, that sux Nudge, but you are right, not worth the risk of killing that beautiful model for the sake of a couple of flights. I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it - bet it will be something so simple you will kick yourself [&:]

Chin up and keep us informed.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 AM
ya33a

Hi Nudger,

I have an original Saito FG20 with similar issues to the ones you're talking about, the 'new' series Saitos have, a new carbie, new ignition system (Rexci), and new hardened inserts for the exhaust valves to seat against...... So if there was nothing wrong with the original series which should run reliably why the changes?

Just FYI, I run the FG 20 on about 4 turns out for the idle needle and run the main needle at about 1 to 1 1/4 turns max, the idle is quite high, I run a fully charged 400mamp 4.8V NMH on the ignition which lasts all afternoon flying, (I have a H9 Taylorcraft) the plane doesn't go inverted much so I can't say if it runs that way but I mounted the engine inverted and it runs 95% now, I don't get deadstick landings anymore either.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 AM
ya33a

Ok,
Here is a wing lighting plan I found which details the F4U-1 to F4U-4 (Some models), which is 'typical' of the general layout, it should help to get the details correct, the colours of the formation lights are Red at the front, Amber / yellow in the middle and Green nearest to the aileron.

There are heaps of variations to the colours, layout of different models and field modifications with more and less lights, the prototype appears to have had two sets of nav lights on the top surface of the wings, one at 1/3 span the next about 2 feet in from the wing fold on both sides. (Red port, Green Stbd),

There appear to be 3 'night lights' in the cockpit, 2 Stbd and one to port, the dorsal light near the antenna, and the white light at the rear near the tail hook fairing. I haven't found the landing light layout yet, but I'll keep looking, or someone else may have some pictures of the full size one for reference?

Name:	Mk26460.gif
Views:	142
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	1794836  
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 AM
ya33a

Here are a couple of 3 views with the nav and formation lights clearly marked, they have a slightly different layout to the 'factory' drawings, plus it's for a 1D model, so that shouldn't be a drama, as I believe the ESm 50CC plane is based on this model.

Name:	Vt57097.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1794843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95101.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1794844  
Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 AM
ya33a

Here is a picture in the differences between models, the formation lights are different, also note the oil stains on the leading edges of the tailplane

Name:	Pm34866.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1794855  
Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 AM
flejter1

Nudge,

You could always put the Saito on EBAY and join us with the AWESOME Evolution 7-77 Radial. It is now widely available, just an idea!!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM
mmflytie

I looked at this engine and it sounds great. Has anybody ever converted one of these to gas. Just not sure I want to go back to the glow fuel mess. How is its reliability? I have a DA60 right now. You can beat it but I sure get chills when I hear that radial engine. Mine will always sound like a "model " plane.

Marc
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have Seidel radial, yet unrun. From what I have learned about the engine the fuel mess is minimal at best. Plus it fits within the cowl. There maybe a youtube video of an ESM flying with the Seidel radial. One showed up at a scale meet a few years ago.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Magnum RC

I have a Saito 450 radial in mine, yes it is quite the mess after a flight, but I would trade the mess anyday for that sound. It is definitely a showstopper. I radared my plane at a clear 100MPH on a high speed pass. That engine is a stump puller. My plane weighs all up 30lbs. and when I shove the throttle forward, the prop blast kicks up the tail and she is off like a jackrabbit with a 45 degree climbout. I have my eye on that Seidel/evolution radial in the same class for the next radial project, the 91" Japanese Zero that KMP is working on. Good stuff.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
flejter1

Magnum,

What prop are you turning with the 450? I am almost finished with my plane but I have ran the radial to break it in. It was a chore to get its air fuel set, but now it purrrrrs. I have a 22x10 4 blade prop and on the stand it turned it @ 5K rpm. The 7-77 radial max RPM is 6K and I should pick up 4-500rpm in the air so it seems like the perfect prop. ORION has the same engine and I think he posted a video of his plane a few pages back. The other nice thing about this engine is you can run 0-5% nitro. I have a mcdaniels on board glow for it but I have let it idle for over 5 minutes without the glow on and had instant throttle response, very impressive!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM
nudger

Ay up Guys
Yes a seidel would be very very nice and mybe one in the future,but Ive got alot tied up in this saito and it should work out the box,but it dont just like my fg30.These engines in the last year have really wound me up and by the sound of it other people all over the world too.I think saito have brought these engines out with two main problems the ignition and carb,and if you are unlucky like me have ended up with all the problems on 3 engines....ho i forgot to tell you like an idiot I got another fg30 for a yt p51d that I am building on this site ,thinking I could not get 3 bad engines....but I did over £2000.00 pounds ive spent so ive got to get them to work.

Ether Im one unlucky dude or saito are sh#t

Nudge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.