Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LBJ
Kwik, I got that one figured out. Hence, my next project, a Bates P-51A Ha
I see you got your hands on one of Vic Catalasans's fuselages.

You lucky man! Wish it was me, but they cost too much to ship to Norway.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, after a good many flights its time to say goodbye to my Troybuilt Corsair. She veered off the runway and I made a bad decision to go ahead with the takeoff. Everything would have been fine except I didn't see the pilot gate in my peripheral vision, slamming full speed into it while still on the ground. It caught the wing , causing it to flip and did major damage to fuse , etc. I contemplated a long time on fixing it but since I don't have my workshp anymore, and no place to work on it I decided to scrap it for parts. So if any of you guys are in the building phase I have a couple of great deals for you. I have a "best Pilot" pappy pilot, 5 giant scale aircraft servos and Robart 4 1/2" wheel, retracts set which have been converted to electric by down and locked with the sequencer module.
Pilot= $50. All servos for $100( a couple are about that each), and the retract set for $150. ( I have almost $500.00 in them). None of these items were damaged in the crassh and all work just fine. my email is [email protected] and my number is 864-680-5601 I am located in central florida but will be moving to Nashville very soon.
I hope pictures turn out
Marc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1508.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1986428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1986429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	1986430  
Old 04-12-2014, 04:23 PM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Kwik, there is a guy by the handle of Remklep who lives n the Netherlands. I am fairly sure he is a pilot for KLM. Maybe he can drag one back and ship it to you from there. Look at Page 16 of Vic's P-51A/B build thread on RCSB. Remklep's post is there.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...59&PN=2&TPN=16
Old 04-12-2014, 04:39 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik
Those whistles looks like a great idea! But will the sound be generated inside the wing now?

Here is a picture of how it turned out with a 0.01 inch fiber-glass sheet on top of the inner part of the center section.

I hope it will prevent the buckling of the skin;

I buy 0.01 inch sheets from here;

http://www.acpsales.com/Solid-Fiberglass-Sheets.html

According to the guys at RCSB ; For a plane already buildt in balsa, one can use 0.007 inch glued to the balsa instead of glassing.

The advantage is no sanding afterwards. Ready to paint!.

Something to consider for the Top Flite Monokote ARF's.
kwik since you are in Norway, I beliece the "ProSkin" from Mick Reeves in the UK is the same thing. Take a look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~mickreev/Access/accessories.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	proskin1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1986462  
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
LBJ

In the mean while I ordered a prop hub from Tru-Turn. This is a "A" style hub and isn't all that pricey. Very heavy construction. Needs a shaft adapter for the mounting bolt I will get from Dave Brown spinners. Saito could have drilled and tapped the prop shaft for a spinner setup, but left it solid.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy the set-up through Horizon as an accessory for the H9 Corsair. It comes with the Saito adapter for the FG-57. I'm not sure if that's the same shaft as the FG-84.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-TRUTTH1500AG
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-TRUTTH1500AG

Originally Posted by LBJ
In the mean while I ordered a prop hub from Tru-Turn. This is a "A" style hub and isn't all that pricey. Very heavy construction. Needs a shaft adapter for the mounting bolt I will get from Dave Brown spinners. Saito could have drilled and tapped the prop shaft for a spinner setup, but left it solid.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 AM
sdcranford

I just tried to order this airframe from ARFPros. The price on their website is $669.00. Upon ordering over the phone she attempted to tell me it was $699.00 and according to her website I'm suppose to call for pricing. Well folks, that's called bait and switch. Before I'll pay a business owner like that full price I'll look elsewhere to buy it. They just lost any business from me.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
sdcranford

ARFPros are $30-$50 cheaper than somebody like TBM (another place I won't buy an aircraft from) on other ESM models. They have to be doing this on purpose.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
LBJ

Fly2xs, that's the same thing as Tru-Turn and same pricing. I might have saved a couple of bucks by not paying TX sales tax, but about the same price overall. Shaft washer on the Tru-Turn was 9mm and I had to open it up to 10mm with my prop reamer on the drill press. Minor work.

I post things like this prop hub and all the details of the F4U, not because I am "showing off" but for info to those who want to know what's out there and how to do certain things that are not explained elsewhere. So, these threads are tutorials in my opinion.

SDCranford, ARF Pros have shown me that they cannot get a simple order out without a major screw up. I also heard they cannot match TBM's pricing on ESM planes and are getting out of the ESM business. Not sure how correct that info is however.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

I love your work!
Thankyou for the thread!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcranford
I just tried to order this airframe from ARFPros. The price on their website is $669.00. Upon ordering over the phone she attempted to tell me it was $699.00 and according to her website I'm suppose to call for pricing. Well folks, that's called bait and switch. Before I'll pay a business owner like that full price I'll look elsewhere to buy it. They just lost any business from me.
That lady pulled the same when ordering a new canopy for the Corsair. The price got jacked up 40% over the web price. She blamed me for not reading the fine print. They should get out of the business. Too lazy to keep up on web pricing. Bill at Troybuilt is trying...they just seem over-whelmed at times.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM
LBJ

Gull Gray over Insignia White.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
jimkron

LOVE it!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice, LBJ!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM
LBJ

Got to the pics from the last 2 days painting.

Dark Sea Blue on the rudder and elevator. Also painted the top of the cowl gull gray.

Got the black anti-glare panel painted on today.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:11 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

LBJ: You sure make it look good (and easy to do). I like it.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
LBJ

aghost, thanks, glad you like.

It's a lot like Monokoting. If you take your time and do each piece painstakingly correct and don't think about what's ahead of you and how many hours to go you have, then you can do good work. Each little piece of tape and masking paper is very important to get just right. So far, I only have one small blow thru from the sea blue paint right on the tail cone. So, it's easy if you do the hard part correctly. Ha

That being said, I kinda wish I had left the Corsair the way it came out of the box. Even after painting, it takes up to a month for this latex to really get dried. After one week, it's pretty tough, but takes a while longer than that. To install the rub on's it has to be pretty dang hard dried. I'll be lucky to fly this in mid to late June. After all this painting, I cannot afford to rush it and ruin all my work.

I will say that if anyone is doing some painting, by all means BUY the $12 a roll 3M blue 1/4" plastic striping tape from the auto-body paint store. It's worth every penny. And follow that edge with BLUE masking tape to make the line wider for the masking paper. DO NOT use the regular vanilla/beige colored masking tape on BARE LATEX PAINT. It will pull it right up! Always use the BLUE tape on recently painted latex. I used some regular masking tape on the white elevator just to protect a small area and it pulled the white paint right up about an hour later. It wasn't even pressed down hard either. So, won't make that mistake again. I used that blue 3M striping tape on every color dividing line on the Corsair. Wow, it's hard to believe how great it works.

After looking at the anti-glare panel for several days, I may repaint it. It shouldn't be so tapered toward the front end. Also, the "satin" finish is more glossy than flat. So, will do it over. Hate to do that, but when something eats on ya, you just gotta fix it. Ha. I was not taking a step back when I laid out the lines. Too close to the work. Oh well, just about an hour and a half to redo it.

Last edited by LBJ; 04-21-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM
LBJ

I repainted the anti-glare panel today. Also painted in the Sea Blue detail in front of the leading edge of the wing area.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM
jimkron

Originally Posted by LBJ
aghost, thanks, glad you like.

It's a lot like Monokoting. If you take your time and do each piece painstakingly correct and don't think about what's ahead of you and how many hours to go you have, then you can do good work. Each little piece of tape and masking paper is very important to get just right. So far, I only have one small blow thru from the sea blue paint right on the tail cone. So, it's easy if you do the hard part correctly. Ha

That being said, I kinda wish I had left the Corsair the way it came out of the box. Even after painting, it takes up to a month for this latex to really get dried. After one week, it's pretty tough, but takes a while longer than that. To install the rub on's it has to be pretty dang hard dried. I'll be lucky to fly this in mid to late June. After all this painting, I cannot afford to rush it and ruin all my work.

I will say that if anyone is doing some painting, by all means BUY the $12 a roll 3M blue 1/4" plastic striping tape from the auto-body paint store. It's worth every penny. And follow that edge with BLUE masking tape to make the line wider for the masking paper. DO NOT use the regular vanilla/beige colored masking tape on BARE LATEX PAINT. It will pull it right up! Always use the BLUE tape on recently painted latex. I used some regular masking tape on the white elevator just to protect a small area and it pulled the white paint right up about an hour later. It wasn't even pressed down hard either. So, won't make that mistake again. I used that blue 3M striping tape on every color dividing line on the Corsair. Wow, it's hard to believe how great it works.

After looking at the anti-glare panel for several days, I may repaint it. It shouldn't be so tapered toward the front end. Also, the "satin" finish is more glossy than flat. So, will do it over. Hate to do that, but when something eats on ya, you just gotta fix it. Ha. I was not taking a step back when I laid out the lines. Too close to the work. Oh well, just about an hour and a half to redo it.
Correct. Anti glare should be flat...if not very very flat. Depending on your final look, I would take some 0000 steel wool to the plane as well. Obviously, salt to taste.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
LBJ

jimkron, I used 4 ought steel wool today. It leaves a steel residue color on the light colors. Will only be good on the dark blue and black. May have to use some fine scothbrite or 400 grit wet or dry.

Back on the paint. Got the Orange band on yesterday. The fuselage is pretty much done on paint.

Got the outer wing panels primered with gray today. Had some entertainment watching the Blue Angels do a practice show for this weekend. They were flying for about 2 hours. Never seen them do so much on one day. All over the sky.

After I got home, the Blues flew another 2 hours practice. Wow. At one point the flew DIRECTLY over my Apt! At 200 FEET! My ears rang for an hour. I was outside watching them and it was really cool seeing them on the deck at 400 mph. Lots of smash too. That was better than watching at the base. Three more days of Blue Angels to go.

Last edited by LBJ; 04-24-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:53 AM
cosmo21

Gday fellas,
some questions concerning the ESM Elect Retracts.

I brought a used Corsair from a bloke, very new, only one flight. He says he got it from the Aussie importer about 12 months ago.

What I need to know is. How do you tell if the retracts are the V2 or V3 versions of the elect retract? Are they meant to have a controller board? He said he just plugged them in to his rx and off the went, and controlled speed with servo slow function. I will be running a separate battery for them thru a y lead.
The trouble starts here, I pugged them in and nothing, except for the servo leads getting hot! I promptly unplugged it before I seen magic white smoke...

I cant understand why this happened, I set em up as I was told to. Something aint right. Only diff from his set up was, I used Spektrum/JR, he is using Hitec. Should matter a damn.

Ive set up plenty of the Eflite gears and all work as per explanation. But properly.

Any one with experience with these, can you please explain. Of coarse there are no instruction...

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the email address for Bill at Troy Built Models. Bill is the person who can best help you with ESM retract issues. [email protected]
Old 04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
rampage-1
My Feedback: (18)

Try testing the retracts with a servo tester. That way you take the radio out of the equation
Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 PM
cosmo21

Thanks fellas, on closer inspection, they are the G 3 gear. Will require a control box. I'll get one sent to me from the Aussie importer.

Very usefull thread this, I'v a Saito FG 84 ready to go in her, will get the Tys cockpit, might do full lights. Whats the best retractable tail wheel for this plane?

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 AM
jimkron

Horizon Hobby sells a very scale one for $49(us) that fits perfectly. I'm having mine converted by Down and Lock to electric. How is the workmanship on your wing centersection? Any fiberglass areas that are thin or rippled?

jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.