Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tevans 55, thanks, will need the luck! ha.

cosmo21, I placed all servos up front. I knew I was doing a total repaint, so wanted to keep that weight off the tail end. Glad I did. Ended up putting lots of paint on those tail surfaces to get them looking good. As it was, added a 2 lb diver's weight to the front end TO BOOT. Balanced at 5" behind the leading edge which is right at 28 percent MAC.

Stoat did lots of nice work on his Corsair.

Looks like lots of wet weather here in Fort Worth so have to wait till middle of next week for the field to dry out, to fly. We need the rain however, so let it fall.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
LBJ

Guys, I didn't go OCD on ya, but have wanted to get a label maker for my toys. Masking tape and felt markers don't hold up too long. This one is by Brother, Model PT-D200 and was $30 plus $25 for the 26 foot, 1/2" B&W label tape. The tape is laminated to keep it from getting sogged with gas or glow or whatever. Makes a big improvement on getting the servo wires properly hooked up at the field. Got it at Office Depot.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

When is the maiden? Time to fly.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 PM
LBJ

jimkron, Maiden was going to be this week. But HEAVY rain and high winds has pushed it out to next week, maybe. Forecast still shows gusty winds early next week. July 5th is our club Independence Day meet, so might be then. Nothing like making the first flight in front of 75 folks! No pressure.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
jimkron

Here is a little video I created for anyone interested in the Hangar 9 Tail wheel for the ESM 50cc Corsair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlqWpS0D2dc&feature=youtu.be
Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM
patfairlane
My Feedback: (170)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am here asking again if anyone has a wing mid section for sale for the ESM 50cc Corsair...It can be in very bad to new condition...I tried to buy one from troy built...They showed to have one-claimed to have one-Also said they had 2 that were sent back to them as defects...After buying twice and then refunded,They say they do not have...Mine would have been real hard to rebuild ...Now almost impossible since I cut it all apart to save the outer wing tips...Maybe someone has internal wood parts ???...I just do not have the money to buy another complete plane if one was even available...Buy the way LBJ..Your plane looks so good...I have the Saito 450 converted to gas-Robart electric retracts- and so on - will all be for sale if I cant get a wing..I also have extra stabs and cowls...The Tail feathers For the Jenny are still going strong..Thanks LBJ
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM
LBJ

Patfairlane, stay with the search for a center wing section. Maybe one will turn up. Never know what's around the corner. You can put a WANTED ad in the SALES section and see what turns up.

Glad the Jenny parts are working out. I hated to lose mine as she was a great flyer and won several awards with her.

Glad you like my Corsair. It's been almost too much work. I don't know when this wind is going to let up so I can fly. Gusting to 30 mph today. Almost the same forecast until middle of next week. I am in no hurry to take out in the wild winds. It will settle down one day. Always does. Got several other warbirds to mess with till then. Ha

jimkron, I like the tailwheel. Doors function flawlessly. Great job.

Last edited by LBJ; 06-27-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM
jimkron

Thanks LBJ...
I also tried to get a center wing section from Troy Built to no avail. Mine was defective out of the box...bad fiber-glassing. I waited several months...and then gave up. They gave me a credit towards the 3 bladed prop and some other parts. Now I have to fix the bad one. I don't blame Troybuilt. Seems like they have a bunch of defective parts that the Chinese are not making good on. Some of the replacement parts I got were even mislabeled and were for the 74" Corsair instead. Not sure I would buy ESM again.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 PM
LBJ

Yes, I'm going to build my next plane. Already got all the parts and pieces. Shown it here a couple of times - Bates P-51A. ARF's have now priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned. The current price on TBM's 85" Corsair is $850 PLUS shipping. That would make it $1K. Crazy. Quality isn't that great either as you point out.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 PM
patfairlane

I do not want to sound mean, but the center section that was sent to me they thought was a corsair but was a Tigercat...Well the color was right...I even gave them the part number...I offered twice the asking price...I love the look, but I would rather be flying...I sold my ziroli and mister to fund this...I do have the memory of 1 great flight...
Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 PM
LBJ

patfairlane, I have a policy about selling one thing for another BEFORE I have the new one in hand and tested. I sold a Colt 1911 automatic many years ago, thinking they all were that good. Well, in the end after I bought the replacement 1911, I found out that NOPE they are not all that good! Seems that one was especially nicely fitted and accurate. Oh well, now, I sell something only AFTER I KNOW I have a suitable replacement. But, I know how it is, hard to buy the new item till you sell the old one, etc. I hear ya.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 PM
patfairlane

The sad part was that I was talking to troy built and they said they had 3 center sections...1 new and 2 returns with defects-fitting problems...I said to them that I would take anything...And that's what I got...He had it in his hands...He described it to the tee...I guess someone made a better offer...He would not even talk about it when I called to inform about the wrong part...He just said to return the wrong part and they would refund it...I was very nice and said to please look again...Marylou email me saying they could not find one...I put a wanted ad...I hope someone has something...
Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 AM
BJ64

Originally Posted by LBJ
...Masking tape and felt markers don't hold up too long...
These things are worth their weight in gold

BJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	multiplex plug.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2009504  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 AM
LBJ

I've seen those connectors. But, I have LOTS of planes with the usual servo leads all hanging about and no plans to retrofit those. So, makes sense to label them and live with 'em. Ha
Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM
BJ64

Yep - going back over things is a PITA.

Happy Brother-labelling

BJ
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
jimkron

L..B..J! L...B...J! L...B...J!

Lets see some Flying!

I fear you're watching re-runs on cable.

jim
Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
LBJ

The wind godz have not been allowing me to fly. Not only gusting to 25-30 mph, but cross winds too! Yikes. Today was the first fairly calm day in a while. Maiden might be next week, but got to do some warbird flights with the Zero or one of my others to get my fingers and brain working together. Haven't flown in several weeks. It's coming!

Oh yeah, slept right thru last Sunday's Mad Men reruns. Musta been really zonked. Dang, hated to miss what the old stud-muffin Don is doing (and that's about as clean as I can say it). ha

Last edited by LBJ; 07-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maiden flight........ Wait for good weather!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got done repairing a friends ESM Corsair 50CC wing. It had ripples in the gull section which I hear is very common. Eventually the oil cooler sections broke out on each side of the wing.
I removed the oil coolers and upon inspecting the inside found cracks in the main spar on one side of the wing. I have built four of the Top Flite Corsair kits which are approx. the same size.
There is no comparison between the spars of the two planes. The TF spar is two pieces of one eighth ply sandwiched around a quarter inch balsa core with the ply layers running cross grain to each other. The ESM spar is two light ply one eighth ply with a quarter inch air gap between them and lightening holes cut in them which takes out about 2/3 of the material. The grain on the cracked spars was running with the stress instead of against it so it probably cracked on the first landing. The wing had no leading edge structure. The oil cooler section is a plastic molding. I am sure that contributes to the ripples in that area. I reinforced the skin with plywood but the ripples were set into the fiberglass skin and only partially came out. The ESM is put together with what looks like an epoxy and micro balloons mix or maybe cabusol, the stuff that is put in the corners of fiberglass parts to reinforce them. The inside of the wing looks really well engineered but is not very strong for it's weight. The TF is much stronger and better built. Like most ESM planes I get the feeling that the person designing them does not fly or build r/c. They look great on the outside but are at least 20% overweight compared to the TF. I am talking about the kit not the ARF. Built and covered with fiberglass or Solartex the TF comes in between 25 and 28 lbs. with a g-62. I have had experience with several of the ESM, TBM, CMP etc models and they have all looked very good and been overweight and weakly built with terrible accessories. Just my 2 cents.
Larry
Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM
captainron

Ok all you Corsair Jocks out there, here's the rest of the story by the owner of the above mentioned F4U. BTW, thanks Larry for an awesome repair on a wing that probably didn't have another flight in it. A couple of pics for ya also. The first one is the taxi out to the active runway. The second one is of course the after math of the not so good landing. The grass in the wing? Oh yeah, that. Got that after a missed landing approach and a very bad but successful attempt at a go around. I was abit low and slow once I decided to go around............Thanks to the mighty 4.2 Brison I got a second chance at the landing and got her down safe but the wing showed the results of the first attempt and a bounce and a trip out through the tall grass and prairie..........WOW. After the landing however, I did have one guy bring me out a roll of toilet paper. Don't laugh, I needed it. I kind of had to go when I was taxing out and after I landed...............I DIDN;T HAVE TO GO ANYMORE...........SHEEESH

IT'S ALL GOOD............. CAPTAIN RON
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair on taxi out.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	931.9 KB
ID:	2011648   Click image for larger version

Name:	corsair taxi in.jpeg
Views:	438
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2011649  
Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like that wing does need a stronger joiner.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 PM
cosmo21

. I kind of had to go when I was taxing out and after I landed...............I DIDN;T HAVE TO GO ANYMORE...........SHEEESH

Gold! Funny.

Matt
Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM
jimkron

I did a quick assembly of my plane. With FG 57 and all the parts, I'm guessing around 32 lbs...is that about what others have gotten? This would include 2 lbs for nose weight. Hoping for 30lbs...but this boy is fat.

jim
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM
captainron

Sheesh..............Mine came in at 28ibs. Zenoah G62 for power. Don't know why there would be such a big difference.....

CAPTAIN RON
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM
LBJ

jimkron, my F4U with FG-84 is 34 pounds. Haven't flown yet, but that's getting a bit heavy on 1,5XX sq inches. It will fly fine, but takeoffs and landings must be handled correctly. A bit of wind is hoped for, right down the runway. Ha.

Watched a fellow club member maiden his CARF Corsair on Sat. Wow, very nice. DA-120 for power and about 45 pounds. Those Sierra retracts were sweet. He did a nice job on the assembly and flying. Looked like he'd flown it many times it was so smooth. He's an MD, so guess he has a few more shekels in his pockets than me, but I'd like to own one. He elected not to go with a Moki because he said they require too much maintenance between flights. Cannot argue with the way his DA-120 flew it. His rudder tiller arm came loose on the second flight and fluttered the rudder a bit, so he landed. He says it was CARF's poor design. Overall a very schweet plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.