Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:42 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that should work real good. I remember the issues you had with the mustang and I had the same ones on mine until I built some ducting to really force air through the motor. With the muffler sitting on top of the carb it adds a lot of heat to the carb.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

raptureboy, I went ahead and put the cowl flaps in the open position. Best I can measure now the intake air is about 3-3.25 sq in, Now the exit, measured at the rear of the cowl flaps in almost 8-9 sq in. This should be plenty as it's almost 3 to 1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2015.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	2143665   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2013.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	614.4 KB
ID:	2143666   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2014.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	2143667  
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM
RBean

We had nice whether today. Not too cold and light winds so I got the new P-40 out to the field. Checked all the controls again. Started and ran ok. Take off was the usual warbird take off. Full up elevators and gradually feeding in power keeping straight. Eased off up elevator and tail came up. Got a little more left than I wanted but no problem. Climb our was normal. Needed a few clicks of up trim and two of right trim. Throttled back some the gear up. There was some trim changed needed about 2-3 clicks down trim with gear up. Plenty of power with the DLE 20. It ran great. Loops, rolls, cuban 8s and reverses. Put gear and full flaps down. Did approach stall. It fell off to the left and the nose dropped, but didn't snap. I then landed with half flaps. The half flaps didn't quite cancel out the gear down trim change. Landed on the mains carrying a little power.

The test flight was without incident, which is how I like them. I need to do a little twiking and some mixes but the plane flys good. I used 1100 mha Fife batteries trying to keep the weight down, but I think I'll change to 1,800 mha Lifes. I'd hate to loose the plane because lose of radio batter power.

This is a good plane. I have no idea why it was discontinued.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:37 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations on a good test flight. As far as the issue of it being discontinued, I can't make sense of it either. They must be popular or else these threads wouldn't last so long. Aren't they in the business of selling products?
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
raptureboy

Congrats again. I'm still waiting on my cowl yet. Just got my new wings for the Mustang so I should be working on that soon. I forget, did you use stock wheels or something else? I started out with 4" robart wheels on mine but when you dropped the gear it went way nose heavy on landing so I went to Dave Brown foam wheels. I can't believe they did not sell a ton of these, enough to keep making them. The mustang has been going since 08 and it's still available. The GS version of the P-40 is still avail. I am using a single 2500 mH Life in mine powering both the receiver and ignition and never run out of power.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting on Tower to get the P-40 back in stock to no avail. But...I found one at the swap meet this month. NIB .60 size TF P-40 ARF for $225. I ordered a set of EFlite 60-120 retracts for it.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM
RBean

Raptureboy, I used the stock wheels. I trimmed with the gear up. Put gear down. Then flaps. Took about a 3% elevator up mix with gear down. Can't avoid the cg shift. First we have the gear below center of thrust so that in itself will cause the nose to drop some, the cg shift as the gear goes forward. Just have to fix it with trim and mix/
Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 AM
raptureboy

Yep, I did the same thing. I hope I can get mine up and running again for the season. Since we lost our field in Dec we are still without any real leads for a new place to fly and many are joining other clubs like Qtown and LV. Going to the lebanon swap in march so hope to find a new one.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A lot of flying field are located on closed landfills. Check with the local office for Waste Management, Inc. Also, the AMA might be able to help. Public land has been used by modelers for decades.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 AM
RBean

I think I'll leave the 1,100 mha batteries. Only used 68 ma from the radio battery on the flight. There are a number of decals/stickers, access doors, stencils etc. But I don't know exactly where they go. I've looked on line and can't find info on their location. Found some for a Mustang but not P-40. Anyone have a website reference or sources? Here are what I found for a Mustang.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P51_1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	701.7 KB
ID:	2149342   Click image for larger version

Name:	P51_2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	864.7 KB
ID:	2149343   Click image for larger version

Name:	P51_3.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	2149344  
Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 AM
raptureboy

Originally Posted by Lifer
A lot of flying field are located on closed landfills. Check with the local office for Waste Management, Inc. Also, the AMA might be able to help. Public land has been used by modelers for decades.
thanks, we have already contacted the AMA and are working on 2 sites. Unfortunately they are pretty far for many of our members. Hope to here back soon.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 AM
raptureboy

Look for the books Scale in Detail also some of the plastic model sites have good pictures
Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RBean,
I believe the TF P-40 is modeled after Rudy Frasca's P-40 out of Illinois. Problem is I think the Full Scale is a P40N instead of an "E"

Originally Posted by RBean
I think I'll leave the 1,100 mha batteries. Only used 68 ma from the radio battery on the flight. There are a number of decals/stickers, access doors, stencils etc. But I don't know exactly where they go. I've looked on line and can't find info on their location. Found some for a Mustang but not P-40. Anyone have a website reference or sources? Here are what I found for a Mustang.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Rudy Frasca's P-40 is definitely an "E" model.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure looks like an "E". I stand corrected
Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
RBean

We had a window of nice whether and I got to fly the P-40 twice. Both flights uneventful with good takeoffs, good manuvors and good landings. 5% elevator up with gear down mix worked about right. Went up high and did tight turns and it didn't snap out. My kit built would have. I can't believe how much better this plane flies compared to the kit built I had. Being a pound lighter and more washout obviously helps. It's a shame they discontinued this ARF. It is still a warbird and you can't fly it like a sports plane, but so far I have found no bad habits. If I could find another I would get it and do the P-36 conversion.

The DLE 20 ran great. This one has a Bowman ring and I did the "Bowman" reed valve treatment. Helps the engine start easier and run smoother.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 AM
raptureboy

Wish I had ordered those rings when he was still in business. I have a DLE20 I am rebuilding after many hours of use. Glad to hear your maiden went well and she is performing well. Going to look for one of these at lebanon next week for spare parts.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:41 PM
raptureboy

GREAT! Now I am screwed, Tower just emailed that after waiting months for a cowl and canopy to be in stock they decided they wont have any now and canceled my backorder. Which also invalidates the coupon I used to order other items on. I guess I am going to have to figure out something else now. They SUCK!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM
RBean

You might be able to find a canopy at Parkflyersplastics.com . I know they have some P-40 canopies but don't know if they are the right size. Also at Trans and Lanes near me, they have what appears to be a Hanger 9 P-40 cowling in a display case. It will probably work but is not a scale at the original Top Flite Cowl. Too bad about Frank Bowman going out of business. I had an old SPE 26 that was worn out. No parts for it anywhere. But got sealed bearings that fit from Baca Bearing and rings form Frank, just a few months ago. It now runs fine.

With regards to the DLE, their rings are now much better than when the engines first came out. Do the "Bowman" treatment to the reed valve mount when you have it apart. This just involves facing the molded mount with fine emery cloth laying flat as on a piece of glass to smooth it out so it seals better. This eliminates most of the popping etc that DLEs sometimes do in mid range. Also make fuel draw better and starting easier.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by RBean
You might be able to find a canopy at Parkflyersplastics.com . I know they have some P-40 canopies but don't know if they are the right size. Also at Trans and Lanes near me, they have what appears to be a Hanger 9 P-40 cowling in a display case. It will probably work but is not a scale at the original Top Flite Cowl. Too bad about Frank Bowman going out of business. I had an old SPE 26 that was worn out. No parts for it anywhere. But got sealed bearings that fit from Baca Bearing and rings form Frank, just a few months ago. It now runs fine.

With regards to the DLE, their rings are now much better than when the engines first came out. Do the "Bowman" treatment to the reed valve mount when you have it apart. This just involves facing the molded mount with fine emery cloth laying flat as on a piece of glass to smooth it out so it seals better. This eliminates most of the popping etc that DLEs sometimes do in mid range. Also make fuel draw better and starting easier.
I would take that hangar 9 cowel in a heartbeat I need one!!!! I'm in CA though. There are some topflite canopies but cowels are long gone now, such a shame!!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
raptureboy

Thanks Bean, may run down there this wkend. I still have the original cowl but will need to serious glass work to repair but may be the only option I have now. I may still look at building the nose out so I could use the kit built bottom cowl. from what I see in the instructions it may not be all that hard to do. Part of being a modeler.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
raptureboy

double post
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by raptureboy
double post
Cool if you did!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 AM
raptureboy

Well I had to email Hobbico service and ask why they no longer were going to produce this kit or supply parts. The response was that the vendor making them suddenly decided not to produce them for them any more, and that they have been unsuccessful in finding another vendor. So in the future I am going to buy spare parts that may become easily broken later when I buy a new model. Update: just got another update from the rep at Hobbico and he said they are continuing to search for another vendor to produce parts. said he regrets not having picked one of these up himself because it's his favorite and he comes from Buffalo where the real ones were produced.

Last edited by raptureboy; 03-10-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 AM
RBean

raptureboy, I went to Lebannon flea market. Didn't find any used or new ARF Top Flite or Hanger 9 sixty size P-40s. Didn't buy a plane just some odds and ends which I needed. There was one kit built Top Flite 60 size P-40. Been there, done that and didn't want another. No or little wash out and too heavy. Did you find anything, if so you beat me to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.