Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Old 04-24-2016, 12:55 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew mine a couple of times this weekend, too. I noticed that the plane was acting "funny" in the air. Found one aileron servo stripped.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I hope you got it back in one piece!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the good thing about having two aileron servos. If the elevator servo strips it will be ugly.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:32 AM
DanIsGo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just ended up finding one of these new on Tower Hobbies scratch and dent section for a good price. Only issues is it's missing the left flap and the landing gear mounting blocks. If anybody has a spare flap from a crash, or can make a pattern and/or has spare landing gear mounting blocks let me know! I have a OS FS110a that I just rebuilt that I will be putting in it, but it will be some time since I have a top flite p-51 .60 kit I need to finish.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to let anyone know who needs a cowl that Tower has these back in stock. I thought it was some kind of fluke but I ordered one and got a confirmation it's shipping. WOO HOO!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Zipperneck
My Feedback: (1)

Default P40 renovation

[QUOTE=warhwk;11990549]I just started mine. I've got the top camo covering replaced with solid Olive Drab to match Robert L. Scott's "Old Exterminator" as in the attached pic.

Sounds great!

I'm doing the same thing for an old Kyosho P-40 (wingspan 1.42m). The vinyl shelf paper camo covering got ragged pretty quick. Now, after years of sitting around, I'm installing a set of Kenner (German) mechanical retracts and going to redo the covering. I figured I'd use Olive Drab Oratex covering and Callie graphics.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your conversion and what covering/graphics you used. Got any pics?

Tnx, Zipperneck
Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After moving from PA to Florida, finally got to fly the TF P-40 again. But now operating off a paved runway instead of grass. Put a little more negative expo in the rudder. Managed to take off with out running off the runway. Landings on the hard surface were ok. Come in with full flaps carrying a little power and landed on the main. Had to be real quick on the rudder on roll out to keep her straight. I have not flown off pavement for years. Flying great. Had to use the electric started on the first start up and has been months since it last ran. Got in about five flights. The plane is mostly stock except for gear mount mod to use Lados and opening up cowl flaps. Here some pictures at the new field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	2185133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	2185135  
Old 10-09-2016, 08:34 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still looking for another one of these to convert to a P-36. I have the cowl, and all that is required is to cut off nose and install new firewall. I have a DLE 20 to use and E-Flite electric retracts. Maybe one will turn up.

I've had a TF kit built P-40, the old BH P-40, and the VQ P-40.This one flys the best. The kit built was too heavy and a real hand full to fly. I sold it. The VQ was better, but a bit small for the DLE 20 I had in it. I lost it from radio failure. I lost the BH (converted to P-36) when I got it too slow on landing and initiated a go around too late. It was torquing to left and I applied right rudder to correct, but apparently too much as it snapped and cart wheeled down the runway. It was a total loss except for the cowl and hardware. Here is the P-36 RIP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-36 Project 068.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2185136  
Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM
DanIsGo

If anyone has some free time can someone take measurements at each corner for me of the landing gear mounts as far as how they protrude from the outside of the wing. I have to fabricate my own because mine was missing them. Any help is greatly appreciated!