Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions - First EP Balsa ARF Warbird for ..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Suggestions - First EP Balsa ARF Warbird for ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
cobrajocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions - First EP Balsa ARF Warbird for ..

My son has progressed past "beginner" to almost Intermediate with high-wing and shoulder-wing foam and balsa electrics and is itching for his first EP Prop "Warbird", something in the 32 to 44" WS. In his area of LA, the clubs are EP only.

He'd like to stay economical on the price, balsa built-up only ARF in the $90 - $130 range and a Warbird that flies more easily like a fat winged sport plane than a twitchy thin winged Warbird that has to be flown fast all the time including landings. 4 -5 ch (flaps OK, but not necessary). Fixed landing gear is OK, retracts maybe. The important thing is it's more like a managable tame sport flyer that you can fly slower. I'm out of touch on Prop Warbirds, only fly 3D, EDF's and Powered Gliders, so I have no clue on what to suggest.

We appreciate all suggestions and tips about the planes suggested, especially if you have first hand experience with the model.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions - First EP Balsa ARF Warbird for ..

don't you mean orange county pops lived in san clemente for 20yrs

I think kentuckycolnel is from your area, he lives in Mission Viejo they have a nice club field where they fly all kinds of models elec. and glow powered

you got to look at the Parkzone planes there right in the price range and they have several warbirds that have decent looks and fly well and there RTF .

your really not going to find many built up balsa models, with full house additions like flaps and retracts in your price range that I have seen, try doubling that and your going to get closer, and then your going to need a radio and engine for them.

but as soon as I make a statement like that some one will post a link and prove me wrong got to love RCU
Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got to Hobby King website there is a balsa Beaver 40" span plane for about $55.
Its out of stock , they usually replenish in 7 to 30 days but you have to order to get on back order list .
You cant beat the price for the QC
Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 AM
AviationNut

The World Models EP Spitfire should fit the bill. It is around 40" wingspan and is very light, so floats pretty well for a warbird. It also comes with a decent brushless motor for around $110. I put an APC 9x6 prop and Dubro spinner on mine and extended the battery tray to just behind the motor. Had to add some lead still, but on 3S 2100mAh batteries, it has a reasonably low wing loading and 10 min. flight times.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recall that Great Planes has a few balsa warbirds about that size for combat. ARFs I think... maybe kits too. E-Flite might be another good place to look.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: bigtim

I think kentuckycolnel is from your area, he lives in Mission Viejo they have a nice club field where they fly all kinds of models elec. and glow powered
you got to look at the Parkzone planes there right in the price range and they have several warbirds that have decent looks and fly well and there RTF .
your really not going to find many built up balsa models, with full house additions like flaps and retracts in your price range that I have seen, try doubling that and your going to get closer, and then your going to need a radio and engine for them.

but as soon as I make a statement like that some one will post a link and prove me wrong got to love RCU
Unfortunately, south OC ain't west side coastal Los Angles, it's a hour and a half drive each way on a lucky day and way too far to drive (afford - gasoline) to fly often. He's only interested in EP and balsa planes as Inoted. I disagree, there are a lot of balsa Warbirds in the sub $150 range, it's just a matter of finding out which behave more like a sport plane than a balls to wall warbird in the air.

Ps. the Parkzone planes are not cheap, costing just as much or more as balsa ARF planes. The Cosair ARFis nearly $200 and it has no flaps or retracts either. I have one. Way too "floaty" for him (or my tastes).
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: LDM

If you got to Hobby King website there is a balsa Beaver 40" span plane for about $55.
Its out of stock , they usually replenish in 7 to 30 days but you have to order to get on back order list .
You cant beat the price for the QC
HobbyKing is a rip-off on shippig costs and their shipping department is the lamest in the industry. The shipping for a $55 plane will be $70 - $90 for less than a month delivery time (Tower Hobby members, shipping is free if you're over $125, what I'd expect to pay for a "Good" model, that you can actually get parts for). And Hobby King's shipping department is notorious for being slower than ice melting in the Arctic. My last order sat in their warehouse for TWO weeks! (it was in stock) Then another two weeks in the HKPost Office for a "registered airmail package". Sorry, HobbyKringe in on my chit list. He'd like to get the plane before he's another year older. Besides, a Beaver is hardly (not) a "Warbird". Thanks anyway.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
cobrajocky

AviationNut - like the first hand owner suggestion of the "The World Models" EP 40inch Spitfire, always a great looking plane too. Nice to hear that you've had good flying experiences with it and that it can fly slow as well as hot. That we're looking for is first hand flying experience with a particualr model. I have a TWMSky Runner EP "warmliner" glider to park and desert fly. I love this plane and it's a blast to fly as a almost hot plane or as a damn good glider on a good thermal day. We will check out the TWM 40" Spitfire for sure.

IL2windhawk - I've had a few Great Planes and E-Flite planes, mostly 3D models. No doubt that they make very good quality Balsa ARF's, especially for the price. I wouldn't hesitate to have him buy either brand, based on the quality on construction I've seen. But I've never had any recent Warbirds of theirs, would like to have some suggestions on which models are tamer to fly for a first timer with a Warbird.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cobrajocky

Unfortunately, south OC ain't west side coastal Los Angles, it's a hour and a half drive each way on a lucky day and way too far to drive (afford - gasoline) to fly often. He's only interested in EP and balsa planes as I noted. I disagree, there are a lot of balsa Warbirds in the sub $150 range, it's just a matter of finding out which behave more like a sport plane than a balls to wall warbird in the air.

Ps. the Parkzone planes are not cheap, costing just as much or more as balsa ARF planes. The Cosair ARF is nearly $200 and it has no flaps or retracts either. I have one. Way too ''floaty'' for him (or my tastes).
san juan capistrano is in S.OC guy,so mabee you might list your corect town if you live in LA city or county its the next town over between san clemente and mission viejo,last time I was there, last summer visting my brother and sister, I have surfed almost every inch of that area from HB to Mex.I know the area pretty well
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: cobrajocky

Unfortunately, south OC ain't west side coastal Los Angles, it's a hour and a half drive each way on a lucky day and way too far to drive (afford - gasoline) to fly often. He's only interested in EP and balsa planes as I noted. I disagree, there are a lot of balsa Warbirds in the sub $150 range, it's just a matter of finding out which behave more like a sport plane than a balls to wall warbird in the air.

Ps. the Parkzone planes are not cheap, costing just as much or more as balsa ARF planes. The Cosair ARF is nearly $200 and it has no flaps or retracts either. I have one. Way too ''floaty'' for him (or my tastes).
Cobrajocky -

I fly mustangs quite a bit, and recently flew the parkzone rtf mustang (the brushless motor version). It flies a LOT more like a warbird than the parkzone corsair flies. So you might consider the mustang. for $200 you get the ready to fly version. Its an easy to hand launch plane - doesn't drop off if you give a decent toss at full throttle. I consider it the only decent flying parkzone warbird.

Ed
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 PM
cobrajocky

san juan capistrano is in S.OC guy,so mabee you might list your corect town if you live in LA city or county its the next town over between san clemente and mission viejo,last time I was there, last summer visting my brother and sister, I have surfed almost every inch of that area from HB to Mex.I know the area pretty well
Please restrict your replies to the original topic and reason for this thread (what balsa ARF plane and how if lies, not your geography attitide, surf dude dissertations, or smart-a** remarks), or please go elsewhere.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: rc34074

I fly mustangs quite a bit, and recently flew the parkzone rtf mustang (the brushless motor version). It flies a LOT more like a warbird than the parkzone corsair flies. So you might consider the mustang. for $200 you get the ready to fly version. Its an easy to hand launch plane - doesn't drop off if you give a decent toss at full throttle. I consider it the only decent flying parkzone warbird.

Ed
"He'd like to stay economical on the price, balsa built-up only ARF"

I've seen the PZ Mustang, it does fly nicer than the Corsair, but it's foam and not what he wants.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

"Hey "GUY", maybe you should learn to actually READ the posts and note that I said MY SON lives in LA! QUOTE: " In his area of LA, the clubs are EP only." While you might still be living at home with you parents in the basement, some sons and daughters actually grow up and live somewhere else .... wow, even in another County, State or City! Whoa, what a concept! Surfer huh, that explains a lot. If you can't direct your replies to the original premise of my thread (what plane, not your geography and surf dude dissertations), please go elsewhere.

You know , I have never actually seen one of these post before , especially since your asking for help , if you are so perfact and the rest of us on RCU need to learn to read , how about learing how to friggen use google , I can find your house from Pa , I can find a missing legal document in Canada for a couple that needed to prove they were married in 1940 (true ) in a chuch that no londer exist , so while you need all of us to learn to read , you need to read a book called "The Power Of Nice '
good luck with your life , I am am sure your a great success with that incredible attitude

hey Tim , need a book I have one for you , we can practice reading

FYI , if I grew up with you , I would have moved out at 12 lol

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0s132jzpP