Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Voltage Regulator on my 109

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Voltage Regulator on my 109

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Alex 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Regulator on my 109

Has anyone put a votage regulator in an airplane to control the voltage to 5.0 volts?
I went to a 6 volt pack it charges up to 7 volts. I don't like the voltage that high it makes my servos to fast. I have a spectrum system. I ordered two regulators from Batteries America
VR5.0 I plug the battery in to the regulator 6.59volts and the voltage out is 5.07 volts. I put the bind connector in turned the switch on and no fast blink like there should be. I turn on the transmitter no bind. Check it on another plane with a 4.8 battery with 5.25 volt same thing. The company said they sell lots of these to spectrum users with no call backs. Anyone have any Ideas on this.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Voltage Regulator on my 109

Hi Alex, Why don't you use a four cell pack. You are reducing the overall reliability of your airborne system by adding those electrically complex regulators. They can fail either in an off state or over voltage condition. In either case you are going to crash.Dan.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 AM
arobatx

Ditto...if you are not interested in the servo speed/torque benefit from running 6v, I'd run dual 4 cell packs. This way you can still drop a cell without browning out.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Alex 51
Has anyone put a votage regulator in an airplane to control the voltage to 5.0 volts?
I went to a 6 volt pack it charges up to 7 volts. I don't like the voltage that high it makes my servos to fast. I have a spectrum system. I ordered two regulators from Batteries America
VR5.0 I plug the battery in to the regulator 6.59volts and the voltage out is 5.07 volts. I put the bind connector in turned the switch on and no fast blink like there should be. I turn on the transmitter no bind. Check it on another plane with a 4.8 battery with 5.25 volt same thing. The company said they sell lots of these to spectrum users with no call backs. Anyone have any Ideas on this.
This is not only strange this is very strange - I use voltage regulators on my Acrobats and spectrum receivers without having any problems.

What is more baffling is your statement about the servo speed - your speed on the servo should be the same as your movement on the radio control sticks. Are you saying the servo moves faster then your sticks?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
arobatx

ORIGINAL: Alex 51

...leave everything plugged in the way you had it, including the regulator, and instead of using the bind plug through the charge port, or chargeswitch port, plug it directly into your receiver and re-test. Your regulator likely only uses a two wire connector, eliminating the signal wire included on your chargeport/switch. Without the signal wire making it all the way from the chargeport/switch to your RX, binding won't happen.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

If you don't want the increased speed and power from using a 5 cell pack I don't think you should be using one. I use 5 cell packs in all my planes without using a reg with my 72mhz Multiplex receivers. I want the speed, power and weight of the bigger packs.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Alex 51

Yes your correct Arobatx the voltage reguator that i recieved only had the red and black wire
spectrum needs the yellow wire also to work. All the specs on the servos i have they are faster with 6 volts. The only reason I want to slow them down is this air plane does not need the speed. It is very responsive even with lots of expo. Thanks everyone for your suggestion and thoughts.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:43 PM
vallawyer

I think you just need to wiggle the sticks for a while, my 5 cell batteries only read far above 6 volts when they come right off the charge, and drop to 6v or less after just a few minutes of use.