Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Mick Reeves 1/4 Scale Spit Project

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Mick Reeves 1/4 Scale Spit Project

Old 07-23-2003, 06:19 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mick Reeves 1/4 Scale Spit Project

Ok Guys tonight my project starts. I dont have kit or anything yet but started designing my cockpit kit. I will start posting tonight with tons of pics how I "LAYOUT" my cockpit for size etc. with the dimensions I will post it will give ppl measurements to start with then just divide by the scale of their plane. Am working on it and should have something up sometime tonight just check out the cockpit construction link. In case ya dont have the URL it is http://home.mchsi.com/~proflooney/sp.../spitfire.html

I was asked by the guys at RC Scale Products http://www.rcscaleproducts.com/ to do a COMPLETE construction article as I go. We are talking showing a lot of How-To-s. Now there are probably other ways to do things than the way I do them But I will be trying to do it in ways a novice and expert alike can understand and do it. The first part like i said will be something I am asked all the time. "How do I design my cockpit?" well starting tonight with lots of pics and diagrams I will be showing how I personally figure out my cockpits and what size to make everything from how deep to the floor to distances from the seat to pedals etc. The Dimensions I use are From a Hurricane cockpit my friend Sabre was so able to crawl around and measure for me from the real thing. Now we all know some cockpits were more cramped than others but for our purposes it will work for any of our models and always fit. After you learn my techniques you will have enough knowledge to adjust to suit your needs.

This documentary will go from detail design through building, glassing, finishing, and detailing it out for a scale masters quality plane. when the entire project is done I will be creating a PDF Book for download so you can have it for reference to look back on during your builds. This project I will have everything on hand before I start it so unlike my FW and Hurricane projects I wont have to be twiddling my thumbs waiting for parts. The actual construction of the plane will prob start in a week or two. in the meantime we shall be designing and making our cockpit details.

I hope you all enjopy this project as it will be loaded with tons of pics and info. and next season you can follow it as it hits the Competitions in Team Scale
Joe
Old 07-24-2003, 01:13 AM
ProfLooney

Default Cockpit Page 1

Well I just posted part 1 of my Cockpit Design and Construction article. If you guys see anything that needs to be clarified please let me know so I can fix it so anyone can understand it.

Joe
Old 07-24-2003, 04:58 AM
ProfLooney

Default Page 2

Worked on and added Page 2 tonight also. will finish the second half of page 2 tomorrow sometime hopefully.

Joe
Old 07-24-2003, 03:02 PM
iatemydingo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant belive no one has replied to this... your site looks great and your models are awesome. i cant wait to see the spit, good luck!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:05 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Uh....no one is replying because we don't want him to get sidetracked from the 109E project
Old 07-24-2003, 05:40 PM
grahamd1

Dont worry Joe, I'll talk to you
Old 07-24-2003, 05:50 PM
ProfLooney

Default Projects

HAHA you guys are nuts but I love ya all. Dont worry i wont get sidetracked on the 109 actually i will be working a little more on it this weekend. I have been working on my spit cockpit section to give you guys something to look at as i get tons of emails from ppl going through withdrawl. Also I am working some on my 1/6th scale lockheed hudson plans as I need to get a few more things done on them. Jerry Bates is interested in looking at them and since i am not really a designer he may be interested in them to finish them up and market them as I was mailny just wanting to do one for me so I would be willing to let an expert make good use of a twin plan so i know it will be done right and safe.

People may not be posting here but I know they are watching as in 13 days (cause i started the page abt 11 pm on the 10th) I have had 363 hits on that spit page and thats not too shabby. though chatting here with you guys is fun and would like to have feedback on it. what did you guys think abt the cockpit thingy i have started? i forgot to put a poll up.

JOoe
Old 07-24-2003, 06:27 PM
grahamd1

Go on ignore me
Old 07-24-2003, 06:32 PM
ProfLooney

Default lol

Sorry graham I got sidetracked with the lawer on the fone abt my work comp he needs me to come sign a release for them so i can get my check sent to me. looks like jesse will be shipping my spit kit and inst panel out tomorrow. will talk with ya tonight or morning your time

Joe
Old 07-24-2003, 06:37 PM
grahamd1

OK, speak to you 05:15 (UK time)
Old 07-26-2003, 01:36 AM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very interesting ...

I just finished my "latest" Spit... hope to fly it soon.

And this plane is on my "next" Spit list.

Very nice info sir ... I 'll keep checking it out.

keep up the good work !

Old 07-26-2003, 01:50 AM
ProfLooney

Default exhaust

Well it is the weekend time to update. Checks in the mail for my retracts so should see them next week or so hopefully. Jesse shipped my kit today along with the instrument panel and my FW parts. And my Spit Guru DR M Franke just sent me a link to my working scale exhausts http://www.jtecrc.com/scaleStacks.htm they have them for several planes so checkem out. for my 1/4 scale spit they only want 129.00. I will be updateing my site this weekend too

Joe
Old 07-26-2003, 08:12 PM
ProfLooney

Default Update

Ok Guys sorry I am being a little slow updating my puter went goofy and i had to go out and buy one last night and still trying to get it set up and organized. I hope to update site later this afternoon.

thanks for your patience
Joe

PS this system is a hell of a lot faster than that 233 dinosaur i had :0) webpages open in a snap
Old 07-27-2003, 04:40 AM
ProfLooney

Default Site updated

I updated my spit cockpit page 2 tonight and added tons of reference pics. grab them up for your projects there are some very nice factory drawings donated to me by Dr. Franke.

Joe
Old 07-27-2003, 07:40 AM
rcfanuk

Hey Joe, been working away for the last week and still catching up, but the cockpit page is great . It will help loads on my Stuka cockpit build.

Keep up the good work

Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 10:42 AM
ProfLooney

Default site

Thanks Steve I still have to get my pilot and seat file up prob be there later today that way ya can download it at 1/5 scale so you have a ref for designing. thats the whole trick to it have ya a pilot in a seat at the proper scale and then once it is in positionyou can set everything up with that as a reference.

Joe
Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Razor44

Hi Prof
Just curious. Is the Hurricane flying yet??
Randy
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 PM
ProfLooney

Default HurriMonster

Hi Razor no i been waiting on my retracts. I ordered my spit retracts and Darrell said i will get my tailfork with my spit retracts. I posted updates and more info on my thread construction begins!!! this weekend might check there for whats going on

Joe
Old 07-29-2003, 02:18 PM
ProfLooney

Default Update

Well my Short kit arrived yesterday and it was just awesome!!!!!!!! I get a lot of kits from jesse and do most of the vectoring for the kits I get but it really amazes me that it is one thing to see my vectors and is totally different looking than I imagined when I see the actual parts. I should be getting more supplies in today and this week and cant wait. I will be taking some closeup pics of my kit tonight and get them posted along with the other stuff that comes in.

Joe
Old 07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
ProfLooney

Default Update

Well got done with my vectoring work so hopefully be cleaning shop in the next couple days getting ready to start building. I posted a few pics of my shortkit and will post more pics of other parts I will be using as the parts come in so that people can see what the supplies actually look like in case they ever want to order them. The direct link to my parts page is http://home.mchsi.com/~proflooney/sp...spitparts.html

Joe
Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 PM
ProfLooney

Default CAMS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Guys the Cams on I did some work on the FW's this afternoon and tonight gonna work on the spit.

Joe
Old 07-31-2003, 08:28 AM
ProfLooney

Default Fuse Construction

Well I started fuse construction tonight and posted plenty of pics. I am now in the process of planking the top section of the fuse. so far everything going smoothly with only 1 or two minor problems which I address. Plans are pretty decent but for the fuse construction more instructions or documentation would help. seems there is more info on the wing and tail feathers than the fuse so you need to do some thinking before you dig in.

Joe
Old 07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Joe, I am a big fan of the Spitfire so like many others I am enjoying the progress you are making.

Have you and/or Mr. Lizard given any thought to using your cowl and canopy as a plug to produce a mold? It would be nice to obtain those two components along with his wood kit.

If there is a lot of interest in the wood kit, offering these items could help to further increase the demand.

Thanks

Norman
Old 07-31-2003, 10:50 PM
ProfLooney

Default cowl mold

Naw too much work hehe Jesse doesnt know anything abt glassing and i dont have time to do production. besides the fact it is just as cheap to get from mick and sent here. canop[y cowl wheels and something else only runs abt 150 US shipped

Joe
Old 08-01-2003, 01:52 AM
ProfLooney

Default tonights episode

well i got the turtledeck area planked tonight and the pics are posted in the fuse section. cam is still on and hope to finish planking the top half of the fuse tonight. gonna be a late night so if ya have yahoo messenger ya can add my nick ProfLooney and view my cam and chit chat or ya can view it through my website. you get a larger image on messenger though.

joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.