Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need 'German' Ground Target for my Vortac Bomb Dropping 1/8 P-47

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need 'German' Ground Target for my Vortac Bomb Dropping 1/8 P-47

Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need 'German' Ground Target for my Vortac Bomb Dropping 1/8 P-47

I've been looking into R/C tanks appropriately sized to act as ground targets for my 1/8 scale Top Flite P-47. I've seen a number of 1/16 scale ones that come with airsoft shooting 'cannon', but they would probably appear to be too small to look right with my P-47. Price is usually under $100 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-Tank-Airso...item3a5cbf2ad4

Then, I spotted this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Giant-Panzer-...item255bc36701

IF, as they claim, it is 32" inches long (I assume counting the 'cannon'): that would make it about 1/10 scale, which would be close enough for my purposes. I would have my wife 'drive' it onto the runway, so that I (and others) could buzz it and 'attack' it with bombs. Price is slightly over $100 shipped, which seems like a pretty fair price if it is all they claim.

But, the big question is: is it really that big? anyone have any experience with these?

1st picture is the 1/16 Tiger I, 2nd is the '32" Panzer':

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97809.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1465920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67217.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1465921  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need 'German' Ground Target for my Vortac Bomb Dropping 1/8 P-47

I don't know, but maybe some of the guys who hang out here would?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not WWII version Panzer
Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MANFRED
Not WWII version Panzer
Really? Can you tell me what it is then? Kinda hard to tell much from the lone pic, any info you have to share would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I looked up "Panzer" in Wikipedia, turns out I made in incorrect assumption: I thought it was the German word for "Panther", turns out it means armour, or armoured. Thus, a Panzer Division is not indicitive of the type of tank used in that division, it is merely another way of saying 'armoured division'.

That all said, the 32" tank that I am looking at could be ANY tank, usued during ANY time period (up to today), which was/ is in service with the German military.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Umm, It's a tiger 1, which is well and truly WWII.

I've got one and bought it for exactly the same reason, but at the time i had a 79" Stuka! couldn't easily get a allied tank so the Tiger was the next best thing. They are really great fun to drive around and anyone who has kids that comes over to visit loves driving it around.

The plastic tracks that come as standard are only ok if you drive it on smooth terrain. once you get off onto the grass, dirt etc, the tend to break pretty easy. The best upgrade is to get the metal tracks for them, makes the all up weight of the tank hit almost 4kg[X(] (nearly 9lbs) but it does make it ride and handle more like a tank should look like. and i haven't heard of anyone bust them up yet. The on-board sound system is pretty loud and works great outside. the smoke system for the exhausts is a little hit-and-miss affair with quality, but most guys turn it off because it chews up battery life and doeesn't pump out that much smoke. the lights are pretty bright, and it's pretty cool driving it around the house in the dark. Our cat is not a fan at all of the tank..... maybe cos she's felt the angry end of a 6mm BB from the tiger!!! you can also get an antenna mod kit that removed the non scale antenna with a short more scale looking one. and from memory there is a problem with the length of the barrel (i.e. I think the modelled it a little too long for the scale) as these tanks are 1/16 scale.

Thomas of VQ models is right into the tanks as well from what i understand so he might be of some assistance as well. and you can also get them heaps cheaper now at Hobby king!!

I can post some pic's of my tiger and the tracks if your interested.

Thanks

dave
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ticketec
..........Umm, It's a tiger 1, which is well and truly WWII.................
dave
Dave, the picture that I posted is definately a Tiger I, as is the 1st link that I posted. The 2nd link however, which is the "32 inch" one, is NOT a Tiger I, as it has the sloped turrent which was incoporated into later German tank designs.

Well, regardless: I just ordered one of these (the 32" tank), and will hopefully have it avaiable to use at the Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day event next Sat (July 17, 2010) in NW Indiana. After that event, I may try to modify it to more closely resemble a WW II era German tank. I will post info here as it becomes available.

BTW, here is pic of my bomb dropping P-47:

Name:	Ig11880.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1466132  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

UPDATE:
I just located this web-site, which seems to be the same tank. Many more pics of it, and they list it as a 1/12 scale Abram tank:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1139.html

OK, so now when I get it: I'll have to figure out how to make it more WW II German tank looking. 1st off, I'll get rid of the missle(s). A new paint job with German markings is definately in it's future.

Name:	By76533.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1466139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51110.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1466140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74197.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1466141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10994.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1466142  
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
G-Pete

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know if you dropped anything on a target - if not let me give you an advise: Do not watch the bomb!!! I saw so many airplanes go in after a simple egg drop, because the pilot watched the egg This with very slow flying sport airplanes [X(]

If you have a video camera tape it and post it here. Even better if you have a on board cam, pointed towards the back in a 25 to 35 down degree angle you see the bomb hit or miss the target.

Again, do not watch the bomb drop...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is most certainly an M1 Abrams tank complete with a TOW missile that is outside of the tube and an external diesel tank that they've never had. That picture also has a most peculiar MG set up on the top where it is not actually hardmounted to the turret top. When it comes down to it, you will forget what the tank is representing as you strafe it and the fun factor will cancel out any discrepencies with the difference in the era represented by said model. I know I would, who gives a rip, its all for fun anyway right!?

May your ordnance fall close to the enemy in high concentrations!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 PM
prop wash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim you have a PM from me. Tom
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are actually quite a few 1/6 scale tanks out there for sale for GI Joe collectors, but they tend to be expensive collecter pieces. One exception is the T-34 or basic tanks at the following site:
http://www.gijoeinformation.com/gallery/SupplyDepot
Its too bad really that the Sherman is no longer available. I'd like to have one. The good thing about the tanks at that site is they look pretty robust and can take abuse, unlike the other ones available out there. Another option is to keep an eye on ebay or craigslist for an Ultimate Soldier/21st Century Toys M4 Stuart. I picked one for only $40 off Craigslist once.

Tim
Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM
jhudak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My jug is ready ! lets kill some nazi iron ! I dont have anymore bombs left, lost em all but one. Though I read somewhere that they filled drop tanks with fuel and fitted detonators to the caps and dropped them. You can go in first and blow off the turret with H.E. then I can come in and cook em.

Name:	Ay75154.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1466340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17398.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1466341  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds good, John. We can re-create our 'Pair of Jugs over Evansville' at this event, but this time with a ground target.
I've still got a fairly good stash of Vortac bombs, haven't gotten around to building those new ones yet. I DID buld a pair of 'fuel' tanks, but lost one in the woods at an event near Pontiac, MI.
Heck, I guess I could let you borrow a pair of my bombs, I'll bring enough for the both of us.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Recieved mine just minutes before leaving for a warbird event in NW Indiana. Only took the time to remove the 'instructions' (what a joke, not worth the paper they were printed on/ didn't even mention ANYTHING about charging the battery pack), battery, and charger so that I could charge it when I got to the motel.

SO, my 1st experience with it was at the Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day event, 2010. In fact, that was when it was taken out of the box for the 1st time.

I can state that: it was a hit at the warbird event. In fact, I DID very nearly hit it with 2 of my '500 lb' Vortac bombs. One was on line with it, but hit about 3 feet short. The 2nd was almost a direct hit, landing about 1 foot to the right.

Size: it is in fact 26" long, without the gun barrel extension. Adding the extension adds another 6" to the overall length, so it is indeed 32" long. Since I want to modify this and eventually make it resemble a Panzer III: I left the gun barrel extension off (except for temp mounting in pic 3 for display purposes). A full scale Panzer III is 21 feet long, so this model could easilr end up pretty close to 1/10 scale.

Pic 1 is exactly how it looks right out of the box.
Pic 2 is the accessories and transmitter. I have now discarded the missles and gun barrel extention, as they would not look right on a Panzer III
Pic 3 is as mentioned earlier: with the gun barrel extension temporarily mounted.

Name:	Fd92733.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	1469633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79846.jpg
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	1469634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53247.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	1469635  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:32 PM
kahloq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even with the repaint....it looks like a Leopard II current era german-esque tank.

If you can remove the side and rear turrent railings, you might be able to get it to look somewhat closer.

I myself have been wanting to get something of this nature as well.
I have a Corsair with two bomb drops on it.

Name:	Fd92250.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1469732  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NICE Looking Corsair! I have already removed the railings (right after the pics were taken for the earlier post), as well as the drum on the rear. The rockets are in the garbage can as well. And yes, it does look a LITTLE better now, but that turrent is still too big. Oh well, I'm not after all out scale detail, just something that looks like a good target for my P-47.
My goal is to have it end up looking SOMETHING like this:

Name:	Ge95144.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1469886  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 PM
mike early

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

I don't know if you dropped anything on a target - if not let me give you an advise: Do not watch the bomb!!! I saw so many airplanes go in after a simple egg drop, because the pilot watched the egg This with very slow flying sport airplanes [X(]

If you have a video camera tape it and post it here. Even better if you have a on board cam, pointed towards the back in a 25 to 35 down degree angle you see the bomb hit or miss the target.

Again, do not watch the bomb drop...

That's a good piece of advice! I've got 2 bombs and have not dropped them yet. I had not considered that aspect. I was expecting to watch the bombs, myself. THANKS!

ORIGINAL: kahloq

I myself have been wanting to get something of this nature as well.
I have a Corsair with two bomb drops on it.

Have you tested them out yet?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PropWash, AKA Tom, just posted this pic taken at the Midwest Sundowners Warbird event yesterday (7/17/2010). If you take it to full size, you can see the cloud of baking soda from my Vortac bomb just INCHES from the tank, and that's my wife cheering me on.

And yeah, I learned a long time ago: keep you eye on the plane, NOT the bombs.

Name:	Gd93537.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1469904