RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP's New 88.5 Spitfire (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10173202-kmps-new-88-5-spitfire.html)

flytaildragger 12-02-2010 10:12 PM

KMP's New 88.5 Spitfire

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Spitfire fans, I just got KMP's pictures for the new Signature Series Spitfire hopefully being delivered in February. It is the Mark 9. One of the features that I haven't seen to date is the one piece fuselage and wing root. Notice the smooth fillets to the plug in wings. She is a Spitfire dream and these are the preliminary photos of the bird itself. Enjoy.

ho2zoo 12-02-2010 10:53 PM

RE: KMP's New 88.5 Spitfire

Right off hand that looks pretty nice. But is that color scheme accurate? Green and silver camoflage?[sm=50_50.gif]

800mZero 12-03-2010 07:10 AM

The sape is gorgeous the paint scheme is highly inaccurate.

MANFRED 12-03-2010 07:16 AM

And Cheesy

spaceworm 12-03-2010 08:55 AM

Sweet looking except for the paint; is the plane available un-painted?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard

fockewulf37 12-03-2010 10:11 AM

If this is a preproduction pic I would send them some paint chips... Get the colors right or you will kill your sales....

IL2windhawk 12-03-2010 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37
Get the colors right or you will kill your sales....
Totally agree. great shape, paint looks like a bad $85 arf. Get it right now, before you go into production. This is an easy fix

Id prefer a primer version, for what that's worth

ForcesR 12-03-2010 11:05 AM

What on earth is KMP thinkingofreleasing preliminary photos showing their soon to be releasedSpitfire with such a pathetic paint scheme? Bright green and silver, barf!! I for one was looking forward to the release of the new KMP Spitfire, but after viewing thesephotos the ESM Spitfire wins hands down.
If KMP wanted to impress potential buyers theyshouldhavereleased photos of their Spitfire in a paint scheme more suitable to the iconic WWII Spitfire, Olive Drab/Sea Gray, Olive Drab/PolarGray etc.

Roger

spaceworm 12-03-2010 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: ForcesR

...If KMP wanted to impress potential buyers they should have released photos of their Spitfire in a paint scheme more suitable to the iconic WWII Spitfire, Olive Drab/Sea Gray, Olive Drab/Polar Gray etc.

Roger

Maybe Olive Drab/Sea Gray, Olive Drab/Polar Gray etc. translate to puke green and silver in Chinese???

Regards, Richard

Experten109/40 12-03-2010 11:34 AM

I'm no expert by any means in Spitfire lore, but IF the Mark IX came with invasion stripes, wasn't it done
at the field with a a couple cans of paint & brush, or even just white chaulk w/o the black stripes?
complete with runs, blemishes, and general messiness?

smchale 12-03-2010 01:09 PM

Let's hope they get the gear correct. ie. mounted inboard folding out towards the tips. Paint can be fixed...totally silly looking and functioning gear can't. :eek:

Chad Veich 12-03-2010 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5
I'm no expert by any means in Spitfire lore, but IF the Mark IX came with invasion stripes, wasn't it done
at the field with a a couple cans of paint & brush, or even just white chaulk w/o the black stripes?
complete with runs, blemishes, and general messiness?
No airplane came with invasion stripes, they were all applied in the field. Yes, the Mk.IX participated in the invasion and the quality of the application of the stripes depended upon many factors. Cases can be made for hurriedly applied and tatty looking stripes as well as those that were a bit more tidy.

From the pics above I'm not impressed with either the scale fidelity of the finish nor the outline but I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen the ultimate product.

AirplaneMan04 12-03-2010 01:18 PM

For some reason this picture looks very Cheesy! Almost like an Easy Tiger Models airplane.... doesnt look
like a typical KMP or ESM at all. Just my 2 Cents

SJN 12-03-2010 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dont like it [:'(]

Hopfully it will look different in the field in the final paint scheme.

flytaildragger 12-03-2010 02:49 PM

Well, fellas, I asked Andrew the same question... I thought the paint looked a tad cheesy too. He told me it was an accurate representation. Please send him your opinions. This is only the initial release and he is going to the manufacturer in January to finalize the production. Another thing is the paint can be changed easily. Write him all of you...KMP IS NOT KNOWN for delivering sub quality. These planes are our new Sig Series so let him know what you think. [email protected]

flytaildragger 12-03-2010 02:51 PM

The gear is set up to easily fly the model.

fw190 12-03-2010 03:02 PM

Looks great but the canopy framing is a bit off. For a big ARF it would be nice to have some scale hinging. Agree colors... [X(]

AKondor 12-03-2010 03:53 PM

HI All:

I will collect and post the pictures that were used as reference material for this paint job and the colors. Believe it or not the colors are accurate.. yes it does look a little like a flashy shiny "show-room" finish but these are initial prototype pictures to makesure the line seperations and color molds are correct. Keep in mind this color scheme was used by the RAF and the Czechoslovakian Airforce. The final version will have some changes to it for sure. For now we thought we would post what we have as a sneal peak only!!
More pics coming soon and with final revisions after I go come back from China next month. :D

WarbirdPilots 12-03-2010 04:42 PM

Hello Andrew,

I am a big fan of KMP and the high quality line of products you have released in the past. Especially the original KMP Spitfire and its paint scheme. So I must say that just because your current choice of paint schemes is accurate doesn't mean you have to use it. The paint scheme on most all your warbirds is one of the original reason customers flocked to your products. They were not only accurate but they were accurate representations of good schemes.

I would highly suggest you drop this color scheme all together and go for a more traditional scheme similar to your original spitfire. Even if this is the first attempt at these colors, there is literally no way to make these colors look any better.

Just my opinion.

Chad Veich 12-03-2010 08:24 PM

The model's paint job is supposed to represent MJ840, a Spitfire IX operated by 312 Squadron which was comprised of Czech pilots who had joined the RAF. The airplane would have carried standard RAF day fighter camouflauge consisting of Dark Green and Ocean Grey over Sea Grey.

And for P-40K-5, it appears as though the invasion stripes on MJ840 were indeed quite haphazard in their application!

http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfiel...go/72/312p.jpg

Experten109/40 12-03-2010 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
And for P-40K-5, it appears as though the invasion stripes on MJ840 were indeed quite haphazard in their application!
as opposed to how the USAAF wanted the RAF to apply the Invasion Stripes....
quite the contrast I would say!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...onOrder_x5.jpg

dasintex 12-03-2010 08:45 PM

Andrew; Any news on a Signature Series 'Zero'.

mike early 12-03-2010 08:57 PM

How did they eliminate the gap between the wing and the fuselage?

Chad Veich 12-03-2010 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mike early

How did they eliminate the gap between the wing and the fuselage?
Plug in wings Mike. The break is at the inboard edge of the first white stripe.

Also, for Andrew or anyone else who may care, the letter code for 312 squadron is DU while the remaining letter (L in this case) is the individual aircraft letter. As such the "DU" should always appear together as shown in the wartime photo. The codes on the side should read DU-L rather than D-UL.

Chad Veich 12-03-2010 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: flytaildragger

The gear is set up to easily fly the model.

That does not sound promising for scale enthusiests. Care to elaborate?