RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   82'' HAWKER TEMPEST Mk V 'Unknown Origin' build thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10269101-82-hawker-tempest-mk-v-unknown-origin-build-thread.html)

trent smith 01-17-2011 02:11 AM

82'' HAWKER TEMPEST Mk V 'Unknown Origin' build thread.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Guys, I thought I would start a thread for a 82' Hawker Tempest that I obtained quite a few years ago. I found an ad for this model with a fiberglass fuse and plans for a good cheap price and snapped it up. The chap who sold it layed up the fuse himself after modifying the original which was glass with foam wings,tailplane and vertical fin which he added panel lines and moulded in the vertical fin also a set of plans which showed no name or designer who produced the kit. The fuse is probably a bit heavy due to generous amount of glass and resin but it seems fine and not over thick in the rear end. No formers are shown on the plan aft of the wing hold down area except for the vertical fin post.I chose to do a built up wing which I sorced from a laser cutter who scaled down a 'Vailly Hawker Tempest' 96" down to 82" for me which will work fine. The weight of the fuse is 1.186 kg as is and the plan indicates an overall weight of 20 pounds for the completed aircraft. I will use Custom Retracts and looking at a engine of around 40-50cc gas. I chose to kick this thread off as my next major project will get most of my attention but I thought another plane to play with when drive and enthusiasm seems to dry up. (P.S the other project is a Comp ARF Spitfire) Here are a couple of pic of the fuse and a few bits of wood getting layed out on the plans.Cheers Trent.

ticketec 01-17-2011 04:54 AM

RE: 82'' HAWKER TEMPEST Mk V 'Unknown Origin' build thread.

Hey Trent

Man you are smashing out the builds!!!! time to see you get some maidens in;):D:D

My first thought were, take a mold from it and re-lay a lighter weight one, cos i'd be keen for one as well... and then it was like as if i had received a whack in the back of the head..... I'm still in the dog house with the wifey because of the sierras and wheels I just bought for my Fw-190:D

I'll be watching!

Thanks

dave

MaxAdventure 01-17-2011 07:09 AM

Nice! Looking forward to following! I was very close to starting an 82" Tempest myself last fall. I was hoping to build light enough to get away with a 36cc for scale flight only. I've moved on, but still love the plane!

trent smith 01-17-2011 02:18 PM

Thanks guys, yes I need to get some maidens done as I seem to be building all the time and not much flying of my big warbirds. Due to the plans being scaled down approximate 20% I have found that a lot of timber sizes don't exist in common wood selection I.e the original used 1/2 x 1/4 spruce spars but if you reduce by 20% it falls into a not so common size. I have chosen to plane and sand down parts to make it work .cheers guys Trent.

WhiteRook 01-17-2011 03:22 PM

hey , great plane , 82 is exactly 1/6 scale. what are you going to power it with , i got plans for a B TAYLOR tempest , enlarged to
84.5 and i sat a ST 4500 on the plans to see what it would look like and i couldnt believe all the room in the engine bay, I could
probably use a G-62

trent smith 01-17-2011 04:23 PM

Hello whiterook, I was thinking a zenoah g-45 but I don't want a carby sticking out the side so I might go a d.l 50 which has a rear carb. A bit of extra power won't bother me at all and the weight may be needed as the planes nose is not very long.

WhiteRook 01-18-2011 04:44 PM

good choice . an engine with a rear exaust would be good too ,so you could pipe it out the back of the bottom chin cowl

trent smith 01-21-2011 05:18 PM

Hello people, I have continued to read other threads for vailly hawker tempests to get a feel for the wing build and it will help. I had to have a knee operation so at the moment I have the time and material but no way of getting into the workshop to build, gee its frustrating. Im sure I will get mobile enough to do a bit soon. Cheers Trent.

trent smith 01-25-2011 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again dudes, I have started to build the wing center section after studying other threads on RCU. I also made the retract mount rails by laminating 2 layers of ply to obtain the desired thickness. I used my timber thicknesser to dress the spars the desired thickness and this worked well for anything over 4.0mm I made some ribs for the tailplane by making a ply template for each end and placed the balsa sheet between and sand to shape. Cheers Trent.

WhiteRook 01-25-2011 03:47 PM

thats how i made the ribs for my C A P Dauntless, using that same bolt setup. bolting a template on a stack .

tally ho

trent smith 01-26-2011 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HI guys,today I continued to work on the centre wing panel with remaining spars and shear webbing. Then I started one of the outer wing panels, which is straight forward enough. I will build in the washout which will start with the webbing right through to the final sheeting. Speaking of sheeting I intend to sheet the top of the centre section. I have also framed up the tailplane to a basic frame ready to sheet with 1.5mm balsa. Thats it guys...Trent.

spitmad 01-26-2011 02:18 PM

G'day Trent

Man you are a building machine...........you need to make some time for flying though!

Another Pracs club member has a scratch build 82" Typhoon that flies beautifully on a G38 so a 50cc donk will be more than plenty ...........(it'll break the sound barrier[X(])

Alan

trent smith 01-27-2011 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello gents how are we all, I have continued with the Tempest wing with sheeting the upper suface of the centre section. I have only glued from the main spar forward to ensure I got it spot on following the curve of the leading edge portion of the wing. I found that if I sprayed with water the opposite side of the balsa skin that I wish to bend it curves on its own and holds shape easier. Once the front portion is glued I will do rear section. I also wet and placed under weight the wing tip with washout twisted in and this should start to keep the tip where it should be ready for webbing and sheeting.' Thats all folks' Trent Smith.

trent smith 01-28-2011 02:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there guys, I finished sheeting and trimming up the top skin of the centre panel. I ended up weighing down the remaining skin with heaps of R>C> mags to help conform to the sshape of the airfoil. Then I started the other outer wing panel with basic frame up and trying hard to keep trailing edge dead straight. I have a chap who works for a company importing all sorts of things including RCGF petrol airplane engines who will sell to me cash in hand very cheap. So far I have a 50cc and a 20cc, so I am considering getting a 45cc rear carb if he has any in stock. This motor produces 4.3 Hp and weighs 1.55 kg so if he can come up with one cheap enough I just may buy it. See ya

trent smith 01-30-2011 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello people, I have finished sheeting the horizontal stab and then made the round tips out of 2 layers of 1/2 inch balsa. I hollowed out as much as posible with the round tip of the belt sander to try to save every little bit of weight, it all adds up at the tail end.

WhiteRook 01-30-2011 05:53 AM

trent , looks great .

trent smith 02-01-2011 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi gents, Done a bit more on the Tempest with seeing how the tailplane fits in the fuse. I dremelled out around the flared bit where the tailplane joins the fuse as to get a fit without a bulge.( that was hard to describe). It worked well and will req only little filler to blend nicely. I have decided to construct a new bench to build from, one which is long enough to accomidate a 100 inch wing but not too wide. I have started by welding 40mmx40mm angle to get the desired size and then add legs and lockable castors to wheel around.... Bam!

trent smith 02-03-2011 01:49 AM

Hello again, I have continued with the tempest with glueing the sheer webbing on the tips as well as weighing down and twisting washout into the tips whilst glueing to start the process of obtaining 2 deg of washout. I have also carved the basic leading edge shape into the laminated L.E. so I can overlap the wing sheeting and do a final carve and sand. I have also continued to build my new workbench which is nearly ready for the top which will be 20mm M.D.F. See yah

trent smith 02-03-2011 01:52 AM

Hello again, I have continued with the tempest with glueing the sheer webbing on the tips as well as weighing down and twisting washout into the tips whilst glueing to start the process of obtaining 2 deg of washout. I have also carved the basic leading edge shape into the laminated L.E. so I can overlap the wing sheeting and do a final carve and sand. I have also continued to build my new workbench which is nearly ready for the top which will be 20mm M.D.F. See yah

trent smith 02-03-2011 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

spitmad 02-03-2011 05:04 PM

Trent - you gotta slow down your making us all look like a bunch of slackers :D

Al.

trent smith 02-04-2011 02:53 AM

Hi Alan, yeah I know, but I go through slack periods now and then which evens things out. Where did you get the 3 view drawings to do all your panel lines and rivets? I went for a couple of flying sessions at the 'springers leasure centre' and had a ball. I took down a little foamie panther jet and it went very well, after I dialled down the elevator rates a bit. Im giving the workshop a tidy up before I get stuck into the Comp ARF spitfire......Bam!

trent smith 02-05-2011 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again guys, I have been doing a bit more with building the elevators which are done in half over the plan with 2.5mm balsa sheet in the center I also made the rudder post which I will epoxy into place once I sort out the tail wheel. I'm not sure weather to do a retractable one or minimize weight and make a simple one out of piano wire. I have completed my new work bench with all bits placed under in the proper location. Cheers Trent.

trent smith 02-06-2011 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello chaps, I have built the rudder today which was similar to the elevator with 2mm balsa outline with ribs both sides built over the plan. Its now ready to be drilled for hinge points and covered using solartex. I have started working on the fuse with sanding the join line with the dremel ready for filler and I have cut out cockpit and opened up air intake under spinner. Word!

WhiteRook 02-06-2011 06:10 AM

build is progressing i see , nice p-40 in the background, got my bates MKV TEMpest plans last week