RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10436714-i-saw-tf-60-size-corsair-arf.html)

handyman 220 12-13-2011 01:04 PM

RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Looked real close to me, might be different in natural light vs indoor lighting.

lablover 12-13-2011 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Anyone know if the color match was corrected for the cowl?
I wish they would have left it all blue like what they are proposing for the giant scale, the grey scheme on this model is just plain daffy.

I thought there was a three tone blue /gray for real......?

BTW...STILL NO PICTURES...Aghhhhhh Then again, mine should be here by weeks end.

CorsairJock 12-13-2011 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: lablover
...........I thought there was a three tone blue /gray for real......? ..................
The 'original' F4U-1As were painted in 'three tone', AKA tri-color scheme. However: the undersides were painted WHITE, not gray. The F4U-1s, which precceded the F4U-1As, were originally painted the same 2 color scheme, a medium blue gray on upper surfaces and a light gray on underside surfaces, as was used on ALL Pacific theatre U.S.N. and Marines combat aircraft during the period from late 1941 to late 1942/ early 1943. In late 1944, the scheme went to 'overall glossy seablue', meaning the entire aircraft was the same color.

scottrc 12-16-2011 11:18 AM

Reference the ESM corsair for the 3 tone scheme, it is accurate. Their SBD shows the late 1943 emblems with the red outline.

I guess one could make a birdcage canopy and cover the outer wing bottoms gray, and just use the star in blue circle without the bars, then it would be a little more convincing. There are pictures of F4U-1s qualifying on the Enterprise circa early 1943 with this scheme.

This kits looks like it may to be a fun kit to detail.

CorsairJock 12-16-2011 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Reference the ESM corsair for the 3 tone scheme, it is accurate. Their SBD shows the late 1943 emblems with the red outline.

I guess one could make a birdcage canopy and cover the outer wing bottoms gray, and just use the star in blue circle without the bars, then it would be a little more convincing. There are pictures of F4U-1s qualifying on the Enterprise circa early 1943 with this scheme.

This kits looks like it may to be a fun kit to detail.
The EARLY scheme (2 tone) had a lighter blue, than what is used on this ARF. It would be the same blue that was on the upper surfaces of the Dauntlesses and torpedo bombers which were flying combat at the battles of Coral Sea, and Midway. Ans as stated: the underside were a light gray.

I belive you are mistaken about the carriers trials: altho they were F4U-1s ('birdcage canopy version): they were pretty much factory fresh with the new tri-color schemes. Also, I believe the trials were on the U.S.S. Bunker Hill (CV 17), not the Enterprise.

scottrc 12-16-2011 02:26 PM

I forgot that the ARF is covered in flat insignia blue.[:'(] Oh well.

I was wrong about the Enterprise, it was USS Sangamon that did early carrier quals. The Bunker Hill did squadron qualifications.

handyman 220 12-18-2011 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright guys finally had a few minutes to get some pics, didn't open all the bags but you'll get the idea.

handyman 220 12-18-2011 09:48 AM

On a scale of 1-10

covering = 7 / 8

sanding = 7 / 8

fiberglass work = 8 / 9

overall quality = 8 / 9
'
Yes , there are areas that could have been better, but it's an ARF. If you want perfection you have to start with a kit and do it all yourself. Overall I'm very pleased with the plane, TF did an excellent job. For the ARF bashers this is a great beginning to mod to your own satisfaction!

Lifer 12-18-2011 09:48 AM

DLE 20 with a 16x8x3 MAS prop. Really powers the H-9 version well. In any event, enjoy the project!

handyman 220 12-18-2011 09:56 AM

My Hangar 9 version has a .91 powering it, can't even imagine what a power house like the DLE 20 is doing to the airframe over the long run.:)

CorsairJock 12-18-2011 11:21 AM

Thanks for the pics, handyman 220 , covering looks pretty good. I'm with you: I've got a Saito .91 looking for a good home, and if I ever scape up the funds to buy one of these, that will be it's home. And, I would be bashing it too, remove all covering and give it a tri-color 'glassed finish.

handyman 220 12-18-2011 12:05 PM

I had an old Jemco kit way back when that I did that color scheme to, love to see pics of the bash if you do it. :D

scottrc 12-19-2011 09:15 AM

Looks really good handyman, especially the covering, I used that Top Flight Flat covering on my last Corsair and it is a challenge to apply on large curved surfaces so kudos to those who put it on. Too bad though, like Corsair Jock, I want to strip it and try my hand at tricking it out with a tri-color paint job and some scale details, maybe even a tail wheel. With past builds, I was always burned out with the project by the time it was ready to the point of finishing to do any scale touches. This ARF may fit the bill.

iflircaircraft 12-19-2011 06:36 PM

Not only did the F4U -1A have tri color scheme but the tail fin and rudder were the intermediate blue as opposed to the insignia blue. After all it was painted to blend in over the ocean and in the sky. I've never glassed and painted any project but this seems to be a great candidate. I also want to go with electric Robart mains when they are available.
Also #29 of VF-17 (Jolly Rogers) was flown by Ira Kepford who had 19 kills. Just my $.02.
My ARF is sitting here in gift wrap over the brown shipping box. I didn't even get to see the pictures on the box :(
This ARF may also be a good platform for my RCV90.

Tom

CorsairJock 12-19-2011 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft
Not only did the F4U -1A have tri color scheme but the tail fin and rudder were the intermediate blue as opposed to the insignia blue. After all it was painted to blend in over the ocean and in the sky. ...............Tom
Ya mean like this? This is my re-covered ('glassed and painted) electric powered Hangar 9 Corsair. BTW: it has 'red box' decals, Top Flite cowl and canopy, plus a few of my own scale additions:

iflircaircraft 12-20-2011 01:24 PM

Yes, just like that CJ. One question though. When did they go to the red surround? All the references I've seen didn't have the red for the F4U-1A.

Tom

Chad Veich 12-20-2011 01:29 PM

The red surround on the US insignia was used very, very briefly from late June of 1943 to September of the same year.

CorsairJock 12-20-2011 02:14 PM

The U.S. national insignia was evolving thru-out the war, beginning with the white star within a blue disc with the red 'dot' within the star.
The first change (asside from changes in side) was the removal of the red 'dot', which was sometimes confused with Japanese markings.
Then, for a brief period: a yellow ring encircled the blue disk/ white star (most commonly seen in operation Desert Torch).
The yellow rings were removed, and 2 white squares added, 1 to each side of the blue disk/ white star.
Then came the red outlines, which were eventually replaced with the blue outlines to close out the war.

The same insignias were generally used by all (U.S.) branches of service, and on all fronts. Thus, pictures of B-17s flying over Europe can be found with the same type of red-outlined markings. However, the F4U-1As are probably the most well known aircraft to use those markings because they coincided with the arrival (to the front lines) of the U.S. Navy's famous Jolly Rogers Squadron (VF-17), from which most of the U.S. Navy's most famous Corsair pilots and aces came from.

wheels down 12-21-2011 09:22 AM

My kit should arrive today
I will be using magnum 91 4 stroke
Does any one know the size of the 3 blade prop in the top flite video that the have on os 95v 4 stroke
I like the scale look of the 3 blade dont need extra speed of a 2 blade

CorsairJock 12-21-2011 10:35 AM

A Master Airscrew 14 x 7 (3 blade) is my guess, I know that size worked very well on my Saito .91.

cerralvo78 12-22-2011 05:01 AM

:D:DI got mine yesterday!!!:D:D
I agree with the previous posts
SANDING WAS BORDER LINE[:o]
but overall it looks real good

I will be installing a DLE 20, last night i did some measuraments and I think it will barely fit!!
have someone knwos if the dle 20 will fit??

Lifer 12-22-2011 06:08 AM

I don't have the Top Flite version but I do have the H-9 version and they are approximately the same size. The DLE 20 fits with only the sparkplug cap protruding, plus a small. round cutout for the muffler pipe. I beveled and shortened the muffler pipe so only about 1/8th protrudes. It has a clean look. I run it with a Master Airscrew 16x8x3 with the tips painted yellow. Good appearance and good flight qualities and surprisingly quiet. I did add a brass tube inside the muffler with holes drilled in it to act as a mufffler baffle-pipe, and cut it to match the length of the exit pipe.

CorsairJock 12-22-2011 06:23 AM

Assuming you are talking about the '60 size' Hangar 9 Corsair, as opposed to the current '50 size': the H-9 cowls are significantly over size/ out of scale. No doubt, this is so the engines can 'hide' in them better, but the Top Flite cowls are much more true to scale/ smaller in diameter, so an engine that will fit inside an H-9 cowl may not necessarily fit in a Top Flite cowl.

Lifer 12-22-2011 06:32 AM

.60-size to be more specific. My post was for a reference only. Sorry if it offended you.

scottrc 12-22-2011 11:52 AM

Hey CJ, nice job on the tri-color H9. That is how I would like to bash this TF.