RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   War Birds at the Toledo Show (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10442132-war-birds-toledo-show.html)

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 10:04 AM

RE: War Birds at the Toledo Show

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

Roger that. 8 b/w photos per page w/ detailed explanations, + 1 color profile Drawing = I'm now
playing by the rules. you just made my year Gary. thanks a bunch!
Yea, you have to do your homework on what they require, and like. It is a little bit of a learning curve. Too much, is just as bad as too little, it would seem. If something isn't as close to scale as you would like, don't show it in the docs. Don't show too much detail in the 3-view. They don't need all the rivet lines, for example. Try to condense what you have to 8 total pages. They have limited time to study what you give them.

There are many scale judges here on the boards. When you find one, pick his brain a little. I do. The learning doesn't stop till you're permanently uncontentious.:D

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Looks like I missed quite a few planes by going early Friday, sure didn't mis the crowded conditions, Those Display tables were half empty most of the day..
We would have been there by 8:30 am Friday, but as we were driving across the turn pike, and less than an hour out, my brother exclaimed OH $%^&#@!!!!!!! I asked what the heck was the matter. He said........I FORGOT THE PROP!!!!!!!!!...........Well, it was another 16 miles till we could turn around. All the way back home to get the darn prop.:eek:

We were a little tardy Friday.:)

Gary / Zombie
I said hi to you as you were just setting up,, you told me the prop story,,, I kinda though you may not have recognized me. I wish I was able to stay longer and shoot the breeze, but I had to run,,

BTW,
The Date for the Warbird Fly in in Grafton is Aug. 27,,,
I may not be able to be there, Wife has Vacation that week
I do remember. Sorry you didn't have more time. Yes, the tables were pretty open at that time.

Thought others may get a kick out of our stupidity.:D

I have to see what is going on in August. I know there is something else as well. Your facility is very nice. Great for the giant stuff.

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

It's a delicate balance between what you have for documentation, and what you present them with. All to meet what they need.

i.e. Prepair your own paint chips, they only have what you have given them...i.e. The paint chips you've provided, so your plane should match your paint chips.
If you use paint chips, this is great advise, and something they addressed in the seminar we attended at the show.

Experten109/40 04-07-2011 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
somethin' like this ;)

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

somethin' like this ;)
yea, if your plane matches the chips, your in.:D

Freddy! 04-07-2011 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bananas P38 i have, great flyer.Retracts junk,trying to put electric ones in .Tight fit.Like to have all of ww2 airplanes.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Freddy!

Bananas P38 i have, great flyer.Retracts junk,trying to put electric ones in .Tight fit.Like to have all of ww2 airplanes.[img][/img]
Saw that at Toledo. I wondered how it flew. Thanks.

eugene 04-07-2011 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

Gary did you buy anything? :D
We did some shopping.:D Got: 1/5 scale pilot and a gun sight for a Corsair project, 5 cell 4000 batteries and a couple 120amp ESCs for a couple Balsa USA Enforcers we built as electrics this winter, a nice kit for making our own servo extensions, some on-board battery monitors, and that was all I think. Got tons of flyers from other companies for on-line shopping.

Sold some Steel Powder, sold a plane in the auction Saturday night, and won 2nd place ($350), so, we didn't do too bad.

the overall purse was something like $21,000 between all the classes, and the other special awards. Best of show was $2000.

Would you explain the Steel powder, and where is it available....thank you..

ram3500-RCU 04-07-2011 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: eugene

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

Gary did you buy anything? :D
We did some shopping.:D Got: 1/5 scale pilot and a gun sight for a Corsair project, 5 cell 4000 batteries and a couple 120amp ESCs for a couple Balsa USA Enforcers we built as electrics this winter, a nice kit for making our own servo extensions, some on-board battery monitors, and that was all I think. Got tons of flyers from other companies for on-line shopping.

Sold some Steel Powder, sold a plane in the auction Saturday night, and won 2nd place ($350), so, we didn't do too bad.

the overall purse was something like $21,000 between all the classes, and the other special awards. Best of show was $2000.

Would you explain the Steel powder, and where is it available....thank you..

Here is a thread I started on it. www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9831343/tm.htm

Briefly, it is a new material my brother and I are making available to fellow modelers as a safe and easy to use alternative to the toxic lead we have used in the past.

It is especially useful to us war bird builders. Short noses, and heavy detail can be a challenge to balance, as you well know.

I had some with me at Toledo, but had no formal display set up.

You can PM me for ordering info if you like.

DaddySam 04-07-2011 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: stephanmk1

Hello Gary!!

Want to know if this spitfire is a ziroli design?... she looks real scale to me!!

Thank you!
Looks like Barry Dallweg's (sp?) BT Spit. There was good coverage of his build in High Flight and a good build on RCSB.
Sam

Chad Veich 04-07-2011 08:43 PM

Don't think that is Barry's BT Spitfire. This one just does not look right to my eye, particularly around the nose and landing gear. Barry's airplane is pretty much dead nuts scale. If I had to guess I would say this one is probably a Fiberclassics or CompARF kit. I've seen pictures of the Ziroli prototype on display at Toledo and it looks more accurate than this one as well.

BobH 04-08-2011 06:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not Barrys spit. I didn't take a real good look at it but if it were Barry's and he didn't win Best WWII I'd be shocked!

hILLVILLE 04-08-2011 07:33 AM

Two quick questions: Did I see a 40 size Taylorcraft in the Horizon Hobby booth hanging up? It is just like the (20cc version)? I could not get a closer look because I believe RCU was video taping and interview. Does anyone know where this interviews are located?

ram3500-RCU 04-08-2011 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: hILLVILLE

Two quick questions: Did I see a 40 size Taylorcraft in the Horizon Hobby booth hanging up? It is just like the (20cc version)? I could not get a closer look because I believe RCU was video taping and interview. Does anyone know where this interviews are located?
Here. Not sure if it is in this one. There is another.

www.youtube.com/rcuniverse#p/a/u/0/Ao6ncuGmW_A

Go to the top of the page and click on 'RC COMMUNITY'. Then hit the u-tube button. All their videos can be viewed from there.

crashproof 04-10-2011 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Ziroli Spit. ZDZ Super 80, not balanced yet so haven't maidened. Hopefully soon it will balance got 4.5 lbs on the engine box now and still tail heavy. Kevin.

zemkes_wolfpack 04-11-2011 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Hello Gary!!

Want to know if this spitfire is a ziroli design?... she looks real scale to me!!

Thank you!
Looks like Barry Dallweg's (sp?) BT Spit. There was good coverage of his build in High Flight and a good build on RCSB.
Sam
The Spitfire belongs to Gary Bussel from Muncie, IN. It is not a Ziroli, but for the life of me I cannot remember who's kit he told me it was.

ram3500-RCU 04-11-2011 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: zemkes_wolfpack

Hello Gary!!

Thank you!
Sam
The Spitfire belongs to Gary Bussel from Muncie, IN. It is not a Ziroli, but for the life of me I cannot remember who's kit he told me it was.
Mayby Gary will chime in and help us out here.:D

ram3500-RCU 04-11-2011 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: zemkes_wolfpack

Hello Gary!!

Thank you!
Sam
Maybe Gary will chime in and help us out here.:D I helped him get it down Sunday, but neglected to ask what it was. looks very good close up though. The pictures don't do it justice.