RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10576473-carf-f4u-1-corsair-build-thread.html)

panhandler 01-29-2013 03:55 PM

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: AngusMc

Just received my exhaust yesterday, wow it is first class, anyone thinking of ordering a set it is well worth it [img][/img]
Thanks Guys!

Angus
Thank you very much for the feedback. We are glad you like them.
Thank you AngusMc . When you get them installed how about some pics ? ;}

No worries lecorsair your set is just about ready for shipping.
Dan

panhandler 01-29-2013 03:58 PM

Dan, call me tonight if you can. I have had another idea while eating lunch today. I'm pretty pumped about it and I know guys would love it.:D
Look out guys Prince Aviation is going into overtime http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

ram3500-RCU 01-29-2013 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: panhandler

Dan, call me tonight if you can. I have had another idea while eating lunch today. I'm pretty pumped about it and I know guys would love it.:D
Look out guys Prince Aviation is going into overtime [img][/img]
Well, Dan and I had a nice discussion about an idea I had for another accessory that I think would enhance our scale models. He confirmed the feasibility of producing them, so now I will get him my prototype parts and let him go to work on it. More soon on this. This will expand into other aircraft of the era.

My brother had what I think is a great idea for the controls located on the CARF Corsair wing. On our last CARF, we used the bottom hatch on the center section of the wing for the air valve, pressure gauge, switch for the gun lights, switch for the gear, and the switch for the wing fold. Problem was, you needed a mirror to see what you were doing.

He created a swing down board that will face forward when lowered and have all the equipment you need to see, for controlling the functions on the wing. Here is the outer hatch.

ram3500-RCU 01-29-2013 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the swing down board above it. You unlatch it and swing it down at the field. On this board will be the air fill valve, the air gauge, the power switch for the gun system (both lights and sound), and the power switch for the gear. This is the plug-in wing version, so no switch for the wing fold power.

Also, we have decided to install the complete gun system (sound with it's batteries, lights with their batties) in the wing. Only one wire will go to the fuselage for the 'trigger' channel.

BTW, those are Meister micro piano hinges, and Shulman hatch latches.

ram3500-RCU 01-29-2013 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is part of the nav lighting kit. The wing tip lights. We provide the light installed in the aluminum tube, and the lenses. The builder makes the wood parts to fit his wing tip cutout, and drills the hole for the assembly. We can provide a basic pattern for these wood parts, if you guys think it would help.

Each bulb assembly includes a tiny currant limiter soldered in line to prevent over-amp of the LED. You don't want to have to take these things out.

I'm thinking of also including the screws for the lenses. We found some that seen to be just the right size.

We were thinking of using standard 3 poll servo wire, but have decided to use the two poll red and black wire instead, with the smaller plugs. No confusion this way as to what these wires are for, during assembly at the field.

ram3500-RCU 01-31-2013 08:05 PM

I'd like to do a better explanation of what we are doing with the lighting systems for our warbird aircraft. Electronics is my brothers area of expertise, and he is virtually a non-poster:), so please bare with me.

Our goal was to produce something specifically tailored to our needs. We don't need strobes, and other flashing nav lights on these aircraft, with their fancy controllers. We wanted a more scale system, tailored to specific aircraft. We do want a system that will not draw batteries down quickly, as some do with high watt bulbs. We are looking for a reasonable days flying on one charge, with lights that are clearly visible.

For these reason, we decided to design and build our own systems. We limit the amps to each LED with a limiter attached at the LED. All LEDs need some sort of resistor, but most are set for a specific voltage. Go over that voltage and you will likely blow your LED. Our system will handle anywhere from 4.8 to 7.4 volts with no change in intensity, because the amps are limited with the current limiter, not just a resistor. Actually, the limiters will handle all the way up to 48 volts, more than they will ever see. The result, safe operation for the bulbs, and long run times for your lights.

The lenses for the formation lights are custom, as are other specific lenses like the wing tip lenses. All our systems will be tailored to specific aircraft, like the CARF Corsair. Not all lights on the full scale are the same size, intensity, or obviously, color. Ours are not either. Each LED is chosen for a specific location on the aircraft.

All the things that we make available to our fellow modelers are born from our own needs in scale building, and a desire to make it easier for others to add scale detail to their creations. It would be easy to just build, and move from project to project, with some flying added in for effect. For me, sharing has always been part of the fun. I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

I have some ideas for other offerings that I am looking forward to adding to our list of scale options for war birds. Things that are not available anywhere right now, that I know of. So much scale, so little time.:D

ram3500-RCU 01-31-2013 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the tail nav light (white) installed. We had an issue with this light on the last Corsair build. We had installed an LED housed in a lens. Problem is that this particular light is very vulnerable during handling. This time, we frosted an 8MM LED and did away with the outer lens. This one can be bumped with no damage, and looks the same from the outside. Still need a bezel around it.

ram3500-RCU 02-02-2013 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gatta love the Corsair tail.:D

MRadu 02-03-2013 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary,

Still wanting gun lights and sound system for CARF first, however, here is the dimensions for the Top Flite Giant ARF Corsair.
Also leading edge at holes is 1"

ram3500-RCU 02-03-2013 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the tail light bezel with screws (0x3/16 pan heads). The cone screws are #1x 3/16 pan heads. They were a little larger.

ram3500-RCU 02-03-2013 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: MRadu

Gary,

Still wanting gun lights and sound system for CARF first, however, here is the dimensions for the Top Flite Giant ARF Corsair.
Also leading edge at holes is 1''

Thanks for the info Michael. This will help in the future.

Joe Allen 02-04-2013 04:24 PM

Hi Gary; Sent you an email this morning, but not sure you received it. My buddy and I just purchased a CARF Corsair and we both have been doing lots of reading on this thread. Great job with lots of info. My hat is off to you. We saw you at Top Gun in '11. Have been attending for the past 6 years. We only live approximately 120 miles from there. We have already contacted Down and Locked and will be going with the electric setup. Also will be contacting Andy on the Mears mod he offers.
Not sure which scheme we will be going with, but have looked at the #51 Reno racer. Only problem is it has a bubble canopy. Not sure if we can reproduce that to our liking.
We will be installing the 250 Moki on this bird. Will you be attending Top Gun again this year?

Thanks again for all the work you have put forth and the sharing.

Joe Allen

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Allen

Hi Gary; Sent you an email this morning, but not sure you received it. My buddy and I just purchased a CARF Corsair and we both have been doing lots of reading on this thread. Great job with lots of info. My hat is off to you. We saw you at Top Gun in '11. Have been attending for the past 6 years. We only live approximately 120 miles from there. We have already contacted Down and Locked and will be going with the electric setup. Also will be contacting Andy on the Mears mod he offers.
Not sure which scheme we will be going with, but have looked at the #51 Reno racer. Only problem is it has a bubble canopy. Not sure if we can reproduce that to our liking.
We will be installing the 250 Moki on this bird. Will you be attending Top Gun again this year?

Thanks again for all the work you have put forth and the sharing.

Joe Allen
Hello Joe. I got your email and replied. Hope you get it.

If not, the hinge covers you asked about were part of the Mears mod kit that is out of production at this time. I have been in contact with him recently, and he does not know when he will be able to make the stuff again.

Top Gun is a real top shelf event. Last year I had two planes entered. I don't see myself doing that again. One is plenty to deal with. Although we did very well with the Corsair, I believe it was at the expense of my competition with Zombie, my Meister P-47. Some guys may be able to do well with multiple aircraft, and my hat is off to those who can, like Dino, but I'm a one trick pony in the future.

I was invited this year again, but we have some serious medical issues we are dealing with in the family, with one of our grand children. I don't think I will be able to attend this year. I hope to make Monster Planes later in the year. We will see.

Glad you enjoy the thread. There is more to come as we complete this latest Corsair.

Joe Allen 02-04-2013 05:08 PM

Sorry to hear of the medical issues, especially involving children. Not sure about Monster Event, but will be attending TG again this year. No way the corsair will be ready, but will most likely see Dino and the gang there.
As we start this build, will post pictures and questions, etc.
Hope you come up with hinge covers.

Regards,

Joe

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Allen

Sorry to hear of the medical issues, especially involving children. Not sure about Monster Event, but will be attending TG again this year. No way the corsair will be ready, but will most likely see Dino and the gang there.
As we start this build, will post pictures and questions, etc.
Hope you come up with hinge covers.

Regards,

Joe
Thanks Joe. Yes, the little guy, his parents, and my wife are in Omaha right now. They flew there yesterday. He has his first operation, to have stainless steel rods inserted in his bones, tomorrow. He will be in the hospital till Thursday or Friday. They come home Sunday. He is just two years old. 4 weeks later, another trip, and more rods.[:o]

He loves planes, and really enjoyed the plane ride this time. His favorite cartoon character is Buzz from toy story, because he flies.

I would be happy to see your build postings here. Feel free anytime.

We are considering more items for the Corsair, but for now we are concentrating on the lights, gun systems, and the exhaust, which is in production, past the R&D, and being shipped.

Some other things being considered are for the cockpit, tail gear doors, engine mounting, and cowl flap systems. Most being considered as just the first of what we can also offer for other fighters of the era.

Planes in this category are worth all the detail we can muster IMO.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the way we do the wing tip lights. The plywood is fit to your cutout in the tip, then the lens is mounted, then cut to fit the plywood. We line the inside of the light with Aerofoil.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been asked about installing the aileron servos. Not an easy task, but it is not necessary to resort to cutting a hatch.

Here are some pictures of the screw driver we use. The driver has a hex drive end, and the bit is a 6" #2 Phillips bit. If you use the screws CARF supplies for the servos, a #2 bit will work. If you use the ones that come with most servos, you will need a #1 bit.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The servo is installed with an extension attached and the arm in place with the link and push rod also attached.

A fish tool made from a coat hanger comes in handy to work the push rod out it's hole.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A look at the hard points of the ailerons and flaps. We recommend Hysol for both places.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Light cut outs for the formation lights, and the tool Brian uses to smooth the holes (these are not finished yet).

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A buddy told me that one of my planes was in the latest M.A.N. magazine. Had to pick up a copy. Acquired this plane from Frank last summer. She is 14' and a ball to fly.

Eventually, when I get time, she is going to become this war bird.

JSZ 02-04-2013 08:44 PM

Your up late tonight

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 08:55 PM

Winding down.

ram3500-RCU 02-04-2013 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Giving these tanks a try this year.

they also come in 40 and 50 oz sizes.

Rob Howarth 02-05-2013 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I'd be very grateful of some assistance please.

I took delivery of my Corsair plug in wing ARF yesterday and have been working through the parts supplied. I have a few questions that others may be able to assist with;

1 - What are the parts in the attached picture?

2 - I cannot see how the attachedment of the outer wing panels to the main centre wing panel section is supposed to be. Any ideas?

3 - I would like to run two 8711 elevator servos and need the stabs to be detatchable (they seem to have done this in the factory for the stabs) yet, how are the elevators detachable? Even if I cut the supplied carbon control rod for two servo operation I see no way that these can be attached to the elevators apart from bonding them in. Therefore, how are you supposed to remove the whole stab and elevator section? Tap holes in teh elevator l/e and through the carbon rod?

4 - The fin seems to have only one hinge at the top and then the base ball raced hinge. Is this adequate and normal?

Any useful help that can be offered here would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Rob