RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10576473-carf-f4u-1-corsair-build-thread.html)

Greg Wright 06-25-2013 12:58 PM

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

Gary,

Im' just curious why you think that it is a must to put an electric fuel pump on the moki.I have been hearing different stories from a lot of people and i'm just looking for an opinion from you.
OK, fair enough. Here is why I believe this. The internal pump on the Moki engine is marginal at best. Plus, it is vented with a line from the front housing, that is packed with lubricant. This lube eventually works it's way into this vent line and can block it, giving a marginal pump little chance to supply the engine. Now, a guy can keep an eye on this line and maybe head this off, or maybe not. Quite a risk with this caliber of aircraft. Add to that that with the pump, one can expect as much as a 300 RPM increase of cool power to the power range, due to the added fuel, and easier starts. All this adds up to an easy decision for me.

This opinion is shared by some of the most knowledgeable in the Moki use, who I very much respect, like Scott Prossen (the one who started the long running thread here on RCU regarding Moki care and maintenance), and Gotz Voglesang, who personally knows the Moki people, and is a dealer for the engine.

I know there are users here in the US who don't use the pump, Mike Barbee being one well known modeler who I can think of, but I view this as inexpensive insurance for my expensive aircraft. A dead stick is a very sad reason to loose a plane I have put so much time and $ into.

I want my aircraft to have the best chance I can give them mechanically, at least. My thumbs are another subject.:D

On the battery, yes, 2200 would be my minimum, and I may just go larger myself, if I have the space. I was using a 2200 on the engine that was in her, but this is a high energy ignition.

Ok point taken.

Greg Wright 06-25-2013 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Gary, Corsair #2 is officially on the way. Only remotely good thing about this is that I get the plug in wings like I originally wanted. Troybuilt does not carry the electric pump for the moki, where did you order it from? 8 weeks at least before kit arrives.

Gotz Vogelsang should have them in stock.

ram3500-RCU 06-25-2013 02:43 PM

Gary, Corsair #2 is officially on the way. Only remotely good thing about this is that I get the plug in wings like I originally wanted. Troybuilt does not carry the electric pump for the moki, where did you order it from? 8 weeks at least before kit arrives.

Good deal Mike. I'm happy for you for that anyway.

Here is where to get the pump. http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/index.html Tell him you are a customer of mine. It should get you a little discount. We will be making an announcement very soon regarding Voglesang Aeroscale and Prince RC Aviation.:D He also carries the new ignition and is a great source for advise and information on these engines.

Go to Mitch directly for the gear conversion if you are going to do that. I recommend it.

Glad we are back in business.

ram3500-RCU 06-25-2013 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

Gotz Vogelsang should have them in stock.

Yes, I know he did at least. I just took delivery on (3) pumps, and (2) ignition units.

Thanks for posting the phone number Greg.

lecorsair 07-04-2013 09:22 AM

First run this afternoon with MENZ 32 x18
and second run with 4 blades BIELA
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/2791/zlkk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ram3500-RCU 07-04-2013 09:48 AM

That prop actually looks pretty good. First time I have seen one mounted. Thanks for the picture.

ram3500-RCU 07-04-2013 09:49 AM

Any video?:D

lecorsair 07-04-2013 10:05 AM

The propeller is a 4 blades BIELA " HAMILTON "

i'm painted the center in SILVER GREY front and rear

the video will be for next time

ram3500-RCU 07-04-2013 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: lecorsair

The propeller is a 4 blades BIELA '' HAMILTON ''

i'm painted the center in SILVER GREY front and rear

the video will be for next time
Sweet. Very much looking forward to it. What static RPM are you getting with the Biela?

Rowan 07-04-2013 01:42 PM

Gary have you received my emails of late? Just wondering where my lights and gun kit are at?

John Love
Brisbane Australia

ram3500-RCU 07-05-2013 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Rowan

Gary have you received my emails of late? Just wondering where my lights and gun kit are at?

John Love
Brisbane Australia
They are on their way John. Email sent.

ram3500-RCU 07-05-2013 07:34 PM

A note on the gun system, that I have not elaborated on because we are using it here in the WWII Corsair, but the processor on this system has adjustments for rate of fire and trail (duration), so you can use it for anything from WWI to jets. It is very versatile. More on this in the PDF manual that goes with the system.

ReneAlv 07-06-2013 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Gary,

Today I received the gun port fairings and couldn't wait, so I installed them to see how they look and as I expected they are a great scale addition to the Meister Corsair.

GREAT JOB!!

Rene

ram3500-RCU 07-06-2013 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ReneAlv

Gary,

Today I received the gun port fairings and couldn't wait, so I installed them to see how they look and as I expected they are a great scale addition to the Meister Corsair.

GREAT JOB!!

Rene
WOW Rene, that looks very good. I'm very happy they worked out so well. .015 material is the ticket. This should make a lot of Meister builders very happy. Thank you so much for posting the pictures.

BTW, Nice work on the intake detail as well. Looking forward to seeing more as you complete her.

lecorsair 07-11-2013 09:02 AM

one run this afternoon

http://youtu.be/qSx_90QtYAY

pappy 883 07-11-2013 01:33 PM

Bonjour, Thanx for that but, I think you're going to need a lot more brick's!!!

ram3500-RCU 07-11-2013 08:09 PM

Ditto my friend.:D

I think I would also install a throttle link on the test stand. You make me nervous with your hand so close to the collector ring and prop.

Be careful buddy.

Sounds healthy though.

lecorsair 07-22-2013 02:23 AM

Hello
i received my lot of HITEC servos
my F4U in Full HITEC
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1339/h3t8.jpg

MANFRED 07-22-2013 06:45 PM

Gary, Do you happen to have a template for your Moki 250 baffle?

ram3500-RCU 07-22-2013 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Gary, Do you happen to have a template for your Moki 250 baffle?
Yes, I do. I'll also have one for those using the 215. They attach to the cowl and give plenty of room for airflow around the cylinders (not too tight), yet close the frontal area down so you can easily achieve the 1 to 4 ratio of incoming to outgoing air, with open cowl flaps.

BTW, I'm including this with the cowl flap kit. I feel it is that important.

ram3500-RCU 07-22-2013 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: lecorsair

Hello
i received my lot of HITEC servos
my F4U in Full HITEC
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1339/h3t8.jpg

I like the program capability of the Hitec servos.

zelayaroberto 07-24-2013 01:19 AM

Gary, what size of tubing did you use on the tail hook assembly and the pilot seat structure? Brass or aluminium? K&S brand?

Do you have a spare hook around your shop? $$?

Thanks.

Roberto

nine o nine 07-24-2013 10:53 AM

Hi Gary, I read about the Rainbow tronics for the Moki engines. My understanding is that it's only for the 150. The high voltage ignitions for the 215, 250 , and 400 are the old Moki design and the only difference from the original is that they can use high input voltage. I know that you're running a 215 in the Carf Corsair and got confused when I read that you got a new ignition for it. Having said that, have you run the new Moki ignition and did you notice any increase in performance? I recently talked with Goetz and he's using the new high voltage setup in his 400 but couldn't honestly see any change in performance. It's too bad that the cam timing setup in the larger engines can't use the new Rainbow. Hope to here your results. Mitch (the other one....not Down and Locked).

christiaan.geyskens 07-25-2013 11:21 PM

Hi Gary,
Can you tell when you'll be able to ship the Corsair's gun system?
Tried to contact you several times via your e-mail address, but didn't get any reply.
Thanks in advance,
Christiaan

ram3500-RCU 07-29-2013 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Hi Gary, I read about the Rainbow tronics for the Moki engines. My understanding is that it's only for the 150. The high voltage ignitions for the 215, 250 , and 400 are the old Moki design and the only difference from the original is that they can use high input voltage. I know that you're running a 215 in the Carf Corsair and got confused when I read that you got a new ignition for it. Having said that, have you run the new Moki ignition and did you notice any increase in performance? I recently talked with Goetz and he's using the new high voltage setup in his 400 but couldn't honestly see any change in performance. It's too bad that the cam timing setup in the larger engines can't use the new Rainbow. Hope to here your results. Mitch (the other one....not Down and Locked).
Yes. Thank you for the post.

There are two completely different ignitions out there, in addition to the original Moki ignition.

The new Moki ignition is redesigned for higher voltage input (up to 10V with at least 9V recommended). A better spark is the goal. It is new, and is considered an upgrade. It can be used on any size Moki.

The Rainbow Tronics is an "aftermarket" ignition and is available right now for the S150 and S180 only. It also uses high voltage (of up to 12V). It has stronger spark, easy start (spark goes into burst mode), new timing and a ton of features in the software (giving you fantastic LED based feedback on status and codes).

I am replacing the OEM Moki ignition with their new version. Changes by manufacturers are made for a reason, and I like the higher voltage.