RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Another Fliteskin ME 109 build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10698905-another-fliteskin-me-109-build-thread.html)

glazier808 03-03-2012 07:42 AM

RE: Another Fliteskin ME 109 build thread

It works quite well actually...you will destroy it be befor it ever comes apart!

Keep up the good work erans....it won't effect anything (that spot)

Casey

JGrc 03-03-2012 03:45 PM

I do not for sure about the cavosil, epoxy does not work as well as polyurethane because the latter fills the gaps, epoxy is also much heavier.

JG

erans 03-11-2012 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
jaka - apologies for the late reply. As said by Jose and Casey, using the polyurethane glue is very strong solution which will not come off. Iam sold on this solution and quite a few of my club members who saw it were very impressed, to the level that they have asked me to demonstrate to them the covering so they can utilise it on their own coming projects.

Back to my wing, I covered with Fliteskin the left bottom side today. This time I took some additional photos of the glue application. The photos below show the sequence from last test fit to the lifting of the "weight" with the only omission being applying moisture with wet cloth to both wood and Fliteskin sheet.
First impression after lifting the "weight" is that it came out quite good.
With the work load I currently have with my new job, the build will be slowed down dramatically, but I hope to manage both flying and building somehow.

erans 03-24-2012 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It has been two weeks since I last touched the aeroplane. Finally this evening I had 1/2 hour free, so, it was time to pull out the T-Pins which were still "holding" the Fliteskin in the perimeter. Then Idid a "rough" clean up of of the edges and released the flap which had some Gorilla glue holding it in place (in the gap to the wing TE).
Overall the result is quite good. Ihave some work to do on the joint between the wing tip and the Fliteskin at the bottom, nothing major.

The last thing for this evening was to mark the wheel cutting using the same template I used on the other half wing.

erans 04-25-2012 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It has been a while since I touched the Me-109. Starting a new job sacked all my energy and motivation.
Jose was asking what is going on with my build in his TA-152 thread and Irealised it is about time to get moving (thatnk you Jose). The perfect opportunity came with the public holiday today here in Australia.
So, I continued where Ileft last time and cut both bottom wing Fliteskin covering from the landing gear bay.

I then took the left wing outside and sanded the Leading Edge to Fliteskin "transition line" and some Gorilla glue where it run over the LE.
This is part of my preparation to fibre-glass the LE.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do the other wing today.

saramos 04-25-2012 12:28 AM

Good to see you back at it.

Prekin 04-25-2012 12:38 AM

Hello Earans,
I like your Bf-109, the idea with the slots on leading edge is great, but be careful with the deviation and with the speed. The airplane is very sensitive on the method of the makeing bigger lift force.
As I see, you chose engine MVVS 30. I had one, but sometime I had problem with starting, because engines MVVS 26,30 and 40 have walbro in front of. This is the reason, why I now useing MVVS in my Bf-109.

erans 04-25-2012 02:09 AM

saramos - Thank you, it is a great feeling to get back to it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
Prekin - I have the MVVS 40 in my Great Planes SU-31. It is very reliable and strong engine. I start it with a heavy duty starter and never had a problem.
We have assortment of petrol engines at our airfield in many sizes and capacities, from cheap Chinese engines to expensive well known brands. From all of them, the MVVS seem to be the engine which just works, no fuss.
As to the slats, Iwill see how it go. Jose had no issue with his, so Ido not expect issues with my setup. By the time I will get my Me-109 flying Iwill have flying review from Casey as well, so plenty of time to take a decision.

Prekin 04-25-2012 05:43 AM

So now I understand, if you use starter, you have no problem.
What weight of your Bf-109 are you expecting?

erans 04-25-2012 06:19 AM

The weight is the Million dollar question. I hope not to pass the 7Kg, which in Australia require "Heavy Model Permit", but am not sure what will be the final weight.
Maybe Jose will tell us how much his Me-109 weighted when he reply. I think my Me-109 may be slightly heavier due to the use of the MVVS petrol engine (Jose used the OS 160).

glazier808 04-25-2012 06:23 AM

Erans,

good to see you take a break from the new job...remember, we work so we can play!

I put mine on the scales a couple days ago, and as mine sits I'm at 8 pounds 6oz for the fuse and 4 pounds 4 oz on the wing. That under 13 pounds! The battery pack weighs about a pound and a half...so I think I will be right in the neighborhood of 17 pounds, if not under that. Not bad for all the detail work thats gone in to it.

I hope to have something to post shortly, I got side tracked finishing the paint on my 109E and changing out some digital servos that I didnt care for in my flaps.

Casey

erans 04-25-2012 06:32 AM

Hi Casey, Ican't weight to see where you are at with your build. I was actually giving myself "mental note" the other day to have another look at your wing radiators. Ithink to do them before Ijoin the wing.

17 pounds is 7.7Kg, and you do have much more details then I will have, so Imay just be able to get it under 7Kg.

This little work Idid today lifted my spirit. Ithink I found my building "Mojo" again http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

JGrc 04-25-2012 08:11 AM

HI ERan,
my 109 weight was 17lbs. and that's not a heavy model! [>:] :D

JG

Prekin 04-25-2012 08:14 AM

7kg?!! It´s great for 2m wingspan warbird. My Bf-109G is 9,5kg it is 20,9 pounds. Some CMP Zero has about 11kg! If you will have 7kg, you will be able to hang on the prop! :D

erans 04-27-2012 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ididn't had the opportunity to update the progress yesterday, but Ihad 20 minutes to sand the LEof the other wing. Every minute counts http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif
Next is the "fine" sanding and getting the LE surface ready for fibreglass.
Ihope to get some of it done this weekend.

erans 04-28-2012 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After some more sanding to the LE today with a fine sandpaper, Iam ready for the filler.
I saw in Casey's build that he was using the "SuperFil", so Idecided to try it.
I did "chickened" (trying it first time on the LE), so I am testing it on some scrap balsa (which I "dented" with a hammer) first.
The drying time is 8-12 hours, so results will be published tomorrow.

glazier808 04-28-2012 05:48 AM

Erans,

I used an old credit card when putting it on. Its really nice to work with.

Casey

erans 04-28-2012 06:38 AM

It is very nice to work with, Iam looking forward to see how easy it sands.

If it will keep raining as it is at the moment, Iwill have plenty of time to do both wings LEtomorrow instead of going to the airfield...

erans 04-29-2012 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The weather was good enough to go to the airfield, but, Idid found the time to do the "fine" sanding to the LE of the left wing.
I then applied filler to both LE and on the connection of the wing tip.

JGrc 04-29-2012 08:34 AM

Eran, did you glass the leading edges?

JG

erans 04-29-2012 03:39 PM

Not yet. This filler is preparation for it to get the surface reasonably smooth.
Unfortunately the surface, after the sanding of the Fliteskin "edges", was not that great, so I had to do something about it.

JGrc 04-29-2012 03:49 PM

I always glass cloth the leading edges after the skins are glued down. After that, I use body filler only where is needed. Saves a bit of time.
JG

erans 04-30-2012 12:55 AM

That was the plan. The skins are glued down and it was supposed to be the next stage.
Unfortunately, I had couple of larger "dents" that required filling, so while anyway mixing the filler, I did the lot...

erans 05-01-2012 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Isanded the LE today and now Iam fully converted. This SuperFil is awesome, So easy to sand. Thank you Casey http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif
Then, I did the first fibreglass section and must admit that Iam not very happy with my workmanship on it.
Iwill have to wait and see how it went when it is dry.

erans 05-04-2012 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As expected, the LE fibreglass work Idid earlier this week was nothing to write home about...
There will be fair amount of sanding to do to fix it.

So, while at it, I fibre-glassed the Slat area today, trying not to repeat my mistakes.