RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New Hanger 9 P-47 30cc and electric friendly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10774597-new-hanger-9-p-47-30cc-electric-friendly.html)

bbrundle 10-30-2011 06:50 AM

RE: New Hanger 9 P-47 30cc and electric friendly

E-flite does not make a retract that is of the size required for the P-47

show871 10-30-2011 09:27 AM

:D

rowdog_14 10-31-2011 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: oriole

I just wish Horizon/Hangar 9 would continue to support their previous 150 P47 (See Prop Wash Pic) release. They are discontinuing the parts. Good luck trying to find a replacement cowl.
[&o]

Would also be nice to see a giant scale warbird offering that hasn't been done before by H9....i.e. corsair.
Other Giant Scale options that would be nice:
T-28 trojan
Gee Bee
Hellcat
Bearcat

mobyal 11-01-2011 05:47 PM

Dave, or Bill, or both
Do you all have a projected delivery date for this one? Reason I ask, there are four of us at our club (RVRC in Salem VA) who are thinking about getting this one, set them all up electric for flying in formation etc....
Thanks
Al

bbrundle 11-01-2011 08:08 PM

MobyAl,

We are looking at Late December early January for the first shipment.

The model will include 3 decal sets so I would sure like to see some photos once you guys have them all finished up and flying.

The model is designed to use our Eflite Power 160 on 10S. The EP standoff mount and a really cool battery tray will be offered as an optional part. The tray has a mounting platform that you assemble and glue into the are where the fuel tank would reside for a gas model. The batteries are secured to a plywood removable tray using velcro straps and then inserted and held in place by a tab towards the front of the tray and 2 4-40 SHCS at te rear corners.

bladebender 11-02-2011 01:27 AM

bbrundle will robart eletric retracts fit

mobyal 11-02-2011 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

MobyAl,

We are looking at Late December early January for the first shipment.

The model will include 3 decal sets so I would sure like to see some photos once you guys have them all finished up and flying.

The model is designed to use our Eflite Power 160 on 10S. The EP standoff mount and a really cool battery tray will be offered as an optional part. The tray has a mounting platform that you assemble and glue into the are where the fuel tank would reside for a gas model. The batteries are secured to a plywood removable tray using velcro straps and then inserted and held in place by a tab towards the front of the tray and 2 4-40 SHCS at te rear corners.

Thanks for the info, Bill .
Let the games begin!
Al

gade600sdi 11-02-2011 08:29 AM

Tower Hobbies is no comparison to Hangar 9. Monokote vs. Ultra Coat is just one example. H9 always costs 10-15% more, but you get more. I'm not bashing Tower, to each his own, but I used to fly tower stuff until I got my first H9 and I havent looked back.

gade600sdi 11-02-2011 08:37 AM

Bill,

Nice Plane! Very nice, I have been waiting for new H9 giant warbirds for a while as several older versions seem to be now discontinued. Looking at the specs, this appears to be a little larger than the previous 150 size, can you confirm that its larger or same size.

Also, I would think that a 30 cc size would probably be the minimum engine size for this model, with a 50cc possibly being too large...so benchmark engine Saito FG36 or Evolution 40GX? What engine(s) did you use in your prototypes and what is a good engine balance to keep the wing loading fairly light but still have good power and not add lead to the nose?

Thanks,
Brian

Chad Veich 11-02-2011 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Tower Hobbies is no comparison to Hangar 9. Monokote vs. Ultra Coat is just one example. H9 always costs 10-15% more, but you get more. I'm not bashing Tower, to each his own, but I used to fly tower stuff until I got my first H9 and I havent looked back.
I would have to respectfully disagree. I own a H9 giant scale P-47 (among other H9 aircraft) and I have several flying buddies who have the Top Flite giant P-47 ARF. After looking over the TF version I would take it over the H9 airplane in a heartbeat. The TF birds are much more robustly built with tighter and cleaner glue joints and a far better surface finish. (As in they are sheeted better and are prepped better prior to covering.) As far as I'm concerned plastic iron on coverings are pretty much all junk so the difference between Monokote and Ultracoat is of little importance to me. I also have, or have had, other "Tower" brand ARF's and it is my opinion that all of them were of equal or better quality than Hangar 9 stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like my H9 birds too. I just don't find them to be quite up to the same standard as Top Flite/Great Planes. Just my .02 cents of course.

Whistling Death 11-02-2011 11:43 AM

I needed a good laugh.

Tower Hobbies is a hobby retailer. Hanger 9 is a plane manufacturer.

Thunderbolt47 11-02-2011 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I would have to respectfully disagree. I own a H9 giant scale P-47 (among other H9 aircraft) and I have several flying buddies who have the Top Flite giant P-47 ARF. After looking over the TF version I would take it over the H9 airplane in a heartbeat. The TF birds are much more robustly built with tighter and cleaner glue joints and a far better surface finish. (As in they are sheeted better and are prepped better prior to covering.) As far as I'm concerned plastic iron on coverings are pretty much all junk so the difference between Monokote and Ultracoat is of little importance to me. I also have, or have had, other ''Tower'' brand ARF's and it is my opinion that all of them were of equal or better quality than Hangar 9 stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like my H9 birds too. I just don't find them to be quite up to the same standard as Top Flite/Great Planes. Just my .02 cents of course.

+1!!!!

Ron101 11-02-2011 03:09 PM

I have had two top flight P-51's one ARF and ARC, the 60 sized P-47 arf, and have built two of there kits in the past.
The are very good planes no doubt

I also have had three hanger 9 P-51's and have looked over several 150 P-47's in the past

As an electric pilot the Hanger 9's are built very light, they have all landed so light.... almost like a sport planes. It's very easy to get good performance and flight time from a Hanger 9.

The Top flights are built very strong... maybe over built for electric.

What I really like about Hanger 9 is they evolve there kits, this one looks even better thought out than the last. The top hatch makes it great for a E conversion and the plug in wings are so much better than having a huge surfboard wing to bang around the shop

Both are great planes, but I would like to see Top Flight update there kits and ARF's..... the design in 30 some odd years old, still great, but updates would be nice
Plug in wings and hatches molded in would be a great place to start.... Top Flight P-51 ARFs have also had there share of problems with the spare webbing wood grain being the wrong way, weak landing gear rails, hate the glue on wing fillets on the ARF (I molded them in on the ARC), the stock cowl looks way off scale with a small spinner ( I changed out to spyhalla on the ARC)
The top flight arf canopies are way off scale, the plastic isn't clear and two of mine were all scrathed up... The TF P-47 canopy looks silly it's so off scale

As much as I don't need another plane :D I know this hanger 9 is going to be a really great plane. I set aside the money for it and will take time off a kit build yellow F-18 twin I'm doing to bang out this ARF.
No bells and whistels... build it light and have it perform.

I'm almost 100% the Hacker A-60-14 or 16L on 12s 5000 with a 20x11 or 21x14 prop.... I think I'll go with the 14L (192 KV) the higher KV should spin those props right around 8000 RPM and give some great speed!!

bbrundle 11-02-2011 08:06 PM

Guys,

I really enjoy reading your comments as I am a modeler at heart with a passion towards scale. At Hanar 9 we are trying to provide you with some of the innovations that we feel help to provide you with a positive hobby experience.

bbrundle 11-02-2011 08:18 PM

Brian,

The wing span is identical to the previous P-47 razorback as this model shares the same proven airfoil and planform.

I am currently flying the model with an Evolution 40GX gas engine. THe FG 36 would be a good choice for power, but you will need to modify the modelt to allow the carb of the big Saito to recess into the firewall.

We are waiting from some calm days to shoot video. I will let you know once it is up on HH.com and will also let you know once the manaul is available for review online.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you guy next year as we are planning to travel to quite a few events next year with this bird.

Stay tuned for some really cool new releases next year as we have been extremely busy lately with development

bladebender 11-03-2011 01:12 AM

bbrundle would like to see the video and any pictures you have of the plane keep up the good work Hanger 9 has some very nice plane have flown a lot at the field .Highlight me on some of the new stuff

Ron101 11-09-2011 10:22 AM

Looking over the instructions I'm even more excited to get this plane
The include a stand off for electric motors and a battery tray . Multi decal schemes, options full cockpit, comes with inner gear doors which I'll make functional.... really nice!!

Really slick, looks like a great ARF

here a link to the instructions:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...485-manual.pdf

bbrundle 11-09-2011 05:14 PM

The EP standoff motor mount and the EP battery tray are available as optional items for those wanting to use electrons for power.

We are still working on the video so stay tuned.

foundryratjim 11-09-2011 06:22 PM

In looking at the manual i am wondering how engines such as a Saito 180, DLE 30, Zenoah G-26 etc will fit under the cowl without having to cut it up too much?

mobyal 11-09-2011 06:28 PM

Bill
Alreadt have mine w/ retracts on (back) order. Looking at the manual and the recommended servos, will the ST 126MG on 6v be adequate for this?
Thanks
Al

bbrundle 11-10-2011 03:57 PM

Foundryratjim- You should have no problem fitting the Saito or the Zenoah into the P-47 as the firewall is set to allow for the Saito FG 30 and it requires 158mm from firewall to prop hub. Not sure of the DLE, but I suspect you will need to add standoffs.

I think you might find that the performace in the Zenoah might be marginal as the model is a 30cc warbird.

Mobyal- Yes thoes servos will work fine for all surfaces. We are using a new premade aileron servo mount that will require you to glue the included servo spacers onto the mount to align the JR servo arm with the center of the servo cover slot. The fuselage and flap servos will not require the spacers.

Still looking at the end of the year to receive the first shipment.

foundryratjim 11-10-2011 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a Saito 180 waitng for the kit!

oldtyme 11-10-2011 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I would have to respectfully disagree. I own a H9 giant scale P-47 (among other H9 aircraft) and I have several flying buddies who have the Top Flite giant P-47 ARF. After looking over the TF version I would take it over the H9 airplane in a heartbeat. The TF birds are much more robustly built with tighter and cleaner glue joints and a far better surface finish. (As in they are sheeted better and are prepped better prior to covering.) As far as I'm concerned plastic iron on coverings are pretty much all junk so the difference between Monokote and Ultracoat is of little importance to me. I also have, or have had, other ''Tower'' brand ARF's and it is my opinion that all of them were of equal or better quality than Hangar 9 stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like my H9 birds too. I just don't find them to be quite up to the same standard as Top Flite/Great Planes. Just my .02 cents of course.

+1!!!!

+++++1!!!!

I own the H9 P47 60-size and I just got the TF P47 60-size and I gotta say that they are in way different leagues. The TF is much better built and is really alot more scale. And as far as the age-old comparison of Ultracote as opposed to Monokote............I've used both in my 30+ years of building and the thing I don't particularly care about Ultracote is that you have to shrink it over and over again. Also............on the same subject, I have a buddy that had the original H9 Giant P47 and he had nothing but troubles with it. I have a friend who just got the TF Giant P47 and it is kick-butt right out of the box. I am in the process of building the kit of that model and the kit is awesome!!!

Cheers,
Andy

Whistling Death 11-11-2011 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: foundryratjim

In looking at the manual i am wondering how engines such as a Saito 180, DLE 30, Zenoah G-26 etc will fit under the cowl without having to cut it up too much?
This bird is the same size as the Razorback and I had a Zenoah G38 in that one. The cowl swallowed the G38 and it had plenty of power to fly this plane.

rowdog_14 11-11-2011 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Bill
Alreadt have mine w/ retracts on (back) order. Looking at the manual and the recommended servos, will the ST 126MG on 6v be adequate for this?
Thanks
Al
Yeah those will be more than enough for that plane...even at 4.8v they still will be adequate.

Even the A6000 servos will be good

I have DS821 servos on 4.8v 3600 mah nimh battery (to much battery :) ) in my Hangar 9 p-47 150, I have been flying it for I think three years now...