RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   WingSpan Retracts into a Hangar 9 P-40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10800776-wingspan-retracts-into-hangar-9-p-40-a.html)

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 08:16 AM

WingSpan Retracts into a Hangar 9 P-40

Hello fellow R/C flyers. I am in the process of installing a new set of retracts into the Hangar 9 P40 Warhawk. What I am doing is doing a "start-to-finish" retrofit of a new rotating retract into a previously built and flown airplane. Follow along with the install to see what, if any complications I encounter, and my attempts to overcome them.
A little about me; My name is Richard Seng, and I have been flying/building for close to 30 years. Although I do not consider myself an expert in either, I admit that I love both aspects of this hobby. I fly anything from foamy park flyers, and composit hotliners, to giant scale 3D ships and helicopters. I'm a big fan of the Spektrum/JR radios and I currently use a JR11X. I have two sons that also fly, and they too are Spektrum/JR users, and they both utilize Spektrums DX6i's.
The install; The install of the retracts will be into a Hangar 9 p-40 Warhawk that I built close to 6 years ago. Other Hangar 9 warbirds that may be similar are the Corsair, and anything with the "rotating" type retracts. I realize that there has been alot of discussions concerning the plane, and its flight characteristics, as well as the substandard retracts that these models originally came with. Yes the bright Monokoat isnt exactly scale, and the model has many shortcomings if you are a "scale" guy, but the Hangar 9 warbirds have some truely great attributes as well. I believe the main one is just how terrific these ARF warbirds fly. They are very close to what I would expect of a "sport" type model. I have always enjoyed the high speed, low on the deck passes, and the non-scale inverted loops that are within these airplanes flight envelope, but eventually, all good things come to an end when it is time to land. Horror stories abound concerning the failures of the retracts during this critical, but mandatory manuver. After a few flights (and close calls), I relagated my airplane to mothball status hopeing to find a decent set of retracts that would correct this aircrafts one major flaw- landing mishaps.
The field that I usually fly from is grass, however, it is nicely mowed and relatively smooth, and free from rocks and weeds. In flying the plane using this type of surface, the P-40 could be coached into a smooth run-up down the flight line, lifting the tail shortly before rotating into a graceful climb-out. The trick comes when it is time to land. Knowing before hand just how fragile the stock retracts are, and the fact the the P40 does not include flaps, the landings have been known to increase my blood-pressure a few points. The plane does have excellent slow flight capabilities, but even a slow gentle touch-down can and will wreak havoc with the stock retracts. Even if you were fortunate enough to keep the retracts extended, the forward momentum of the aircraft decelerating once on the ground would usually mean an embarrasing "nose-over" as the bird slowed. Granted this can all be made only slightly better if your field has a paved runway.
A few years ago, a small company called "LADO" manufactured a set of rotating retracts that were advertised to be a "direct fit" into the Hangar 9 ARF warbirds. I purchased a set, and did a complete install with postings eventually finding their way onto LADO's website. The Lado rotating retracts were all electric, fairly robust, and did address some insufficiencies with the stock gear. I had finally resorted to shifting my CG as far reward as possible to help ensure that the nose would'nt plant its prop every time I landed. This was marginally better during landings, but the plane flew tail-heavy, NOT FUN. I remember posting that the overall weight difference between the stock landing gear (including removing the un-needed retract servo and all associated linkage) and the LADO's manifesting a reduction of weight of .04 oz of the LADO's. The complete stock system, including the JR retract servo, and linkage/bellcranks had a weight of 6.90 oz, and the LADO's had an all up weight of 6.86 oz. The LADO retracts did solve some problems, however, because the LADO's were still a 90 degree strut throw, the P40 noseing over upon landings were still present. I longed for a simple, robust, electric retract that had a throw of 100 degrees to place the extended main wheels further forward of the CG to help reduce the planes willingness to nose over. Since nothing existed at that time, I again moth-balled the plane, and brought it out only during the rare ocassions that we would fly out of town at a field with a known paved runnway.
There is now a new retract company that looks to have a retract that has addressed "all" of the problems that we have had to endure. While visiting at the great Joe Nall in south Georgia last year, I met a fellow named Michael who was occupying a tent in the vendors area. Micheal had a sign posted in his tent that displayed the name of his company- WingSpan retracts. The lone inhabitant was enduring the Georgia heat to display his products to the masses. As an intrested party, I stopped by his tent to see his offerings. In meeting Micheal, I quickly learned that he was an avid R/C flyer who simply was frustrated with the shortcomings of the retract industry, and set out to build a better mouse-trap. He was enthusiatic about his new products, and had a few of his lastest creations displayed on the table. Micheal was very knowlegable about not only his products, but of most, if not all of the other retracts available.
It was clear he had done his home work and studied hard as I observed his wares displayed upon the table. On display was a "mock'-up" of an airplane consisting of plexiglass that housed a set of his most recent endeavors. The retracts included a tricycle type set with a steerable front nose wheel. As the set was installed into a clear plexiglass model, this allowed you to see the entire rotating mechanism throughout its travel. I watched him cycle the gear numerous times and he gave descriptions concerning the operating voltages, built in safety mechanisms and robustiveness (is that a word?). Although at that time, his inventory did not include a rotating retract to fit my specific application, he claimed that he did in fact have an electric rotating retract that would be 100 degrees that would be availible soon. Micheal gave me a card, and I vowed to keep in touch with him concerning the release of his newest release.
As promised, Micheal and I have keep in contact, and I was pleasantly surprized with a phone call from him a few weeks ago concering his 100 degree, rotating retracts being available. I quickly ordered a set, and I'm on a mission to install them into my H9 P40 asap. Please feel free to follow along as I pursue the install, and feel free to make suggestions, as I realize that there are often better ways than my own at getting something accomplished.

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 08:46 AM

RE: WingSpan Retracts into a Hangar 9 P-40

1 Attachment(s)
This is the wing, post WingSpan install. The wing now houses the Lado rotating retract, and the new WingSpan retracts are sitting on top. Since these are high resloution pictures, I may be limited to posting one or two pictures per post. What I liked about the Lado's versus the stock retracts is that the Lado's were fairly robust. They do have many flights, without a single failure (except 1 landing induced bent jackscrew). They offer a slight weight savings over the complete stock assembly. What I dont like is that they are VERY slow. I use a 4.8 volt nicad flight pack, 2000mAp. The Lado's instruction manual states that they can be operated with a 5 cell 6.0 volt pack. On a four cell pack, the time required from either fully up- to fully down (or vice versa) is 11 seconds. I can tell you that is an extremely long time to wait. Expecially if you encounter the dreaded "dead-stick". That's a whole 11 Mississippi's. If you are not entirely sure that you have enough time to fully deploy the LADO retract, you may be better of simply not deploying them, especially if you have a smooth grass field. If not fully deployed, you will encounter the first flaw with the LADO's. This is that the Jack-screw in the LADO's that operates the mechanism is made from brass. Brass is soft! If pressure is exerted against the brass jack screw, as would be the case if the retract is somewhere in the middle of its cycle, the jack screw will bend. A bent jack-screw renders the retract unuseable. Since the LADO company is now owned by an overseas company, service can be very difficult. Magnum RC is the United States distributor for LADO's, and the authorized service center. Although Magnum RC does have a somewhat detailed inventory of LADO parts, I have found that they are many times "out-of -stock" of needed items. In fact, I have a friend and local flyer who has been waiting for LADO stock to return at Magnum RC for a defective LADO circuit board. He has been waiting for over 6 months! From looking into the WingSpan retract, I was pleased to see that the jackscrew is made from steel.

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a close up of the complete LADO assembly before I get started removing them . Only the plastic gear housing cover was removed. The LADO, although not a direct drop in replacement, was a relatively easy fit. What I did'nt wish to do was remove any material from the wing that could be structual. Because the retracts fold back from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the wing, the stut assembly travels through the main spar. As we all know that the main spar is necessary for wing strength, any additional cutting in this area was something I had wished to aviod. I'm glad to report that in installing the LADO'S, no additional cutting of the spar was needed. In fitting of the new WingSpan retracts, I have the same hopes of not modifying anything in the wing that could be deemed "structual".

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One LADO out, and sitting beside the new WingSpan retract. After I removed the LADO, I did some time meassurements of cycling operations between both manufactures, as well as weights. Connecting both the LADO and WingSpan retracts into a Y harness and utilizing a 4.8 volt battery, cycle times are as follows;
LADO=11.1 seconds
WingSpan=9.3 seconds
Every second counts, and the WingSpan is the winner in this trial. Next up is the weight, and the following results are from my digital postage scale;
LADO=96 grams each, which is 192 grams for both. Converted to ounces = 6.86 oz for two LADO's
WingSpan= 4 oz each, or for both=8 oz.

The set of WingSpan retracts are exactly 1.14 oz heavier than the set of LADO's. I dont like weight, any weight. It's also clear that the WingSpan retract itself is slightly bigger overall than the LADO's. The weight of the WingSpan retract as stated in the companies installation manual is 4 ounces each, which lines up perfectly with my postage scale (thanks for being honest WingSpan).
The retracts that I am installing are indicated for models in the 60-120 size. They do appear well constructed, and I like the scale looking "scissors" mechanism. Most everything appears to be metal, with the excepion of the yolk assembly that houses the strut (which look to be a form of very heavy nylon). The yolk has two large pivot bosses that are molded into the yolk that allow the complete assembly to pivot up and down throughout its travel inside the aluminum case . From my modest experience, this appears capable of sustaining very heavy loads.
If your intreasted in inquiring about these new WingSpan retracts, this is their website; www.wingspanretracts.com

I would like to add that I am in no way affiliated with WingSpan the owner Micheal. I am only an R/C modeler who is just sharing my knowledge (or lack of) of fitting these retracts into my aircraft.

More to come:

WSRetracts 11-07-2011 11:20 AM

Richard,<div>
</div><div>Just to clear things up, none of our retracts have any plastic in them.  The trunnion or yoke as you called it is CNC machined from 6061 aluminum as is the rotating shaft inside the trunnion.  The jack screw is 304 stainless steel and is supported at the free end.  </div><div>
</div><div>Michael</div><div>WingSpan Retracts</div>

landeck 11-07-2011 01:08 PM

I am very interested in following this thread for two reasons:

1. I am in the process of installing E-Flite electric retracts in a TF P-47 60 size and I have read mixed reviews on them.

2. WingSpan is local to me.:D

First question, I notice that the retracts are bottom mounted. Do they also come with a top mount?

Bruce

WSRetracts 11-07-2011 01:13 PM

Hi Bruce,<div>
</div><div>Yes they do come in a top mount configuration.</div><div>

landeck 11-07-2011 01:22 PM

Great!

Bruce

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 02:06 PM

Thanks for keeping me straight Michael, that's good to know. The retracts are so bright and glossy that the trunnions (yolks) appeared to be nylon. Feel free to chime in Bruce, and good luck with the Top Flite P47. Another friend of mine also has the same plane. He installed a set of mechanicals into his (I'm not sure of the brand) after some major modifications. I hav'nt flown with him in months and I have no idea as to how well they have held up. I have about 4 weeks left of nursing school and havn't had alot of spare time lately to fly.
What I enjoy most is when a few of us warbird fans all fly together in close formation. All of us try to take off, fly a close formation, and land together. I seem to gravitate around the 60 size airplane for many reasons. They're easy to transport, fly well, and they're relatively inexpensive (my girlfriend may object to that last statement). Currently, we have a P47 (modified to a razor back), a blue-nose Mustang, my P40, and a slightly larger CMP Zero. The Zero is down now awaiting parts to repair his LADO's. That's the fellow I spoke of earlier. We like em loud, fast, and low, and we all take turns making strafing runs on the Zero!

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 02:25 PM

For those who are technically savy, below is listed the voltage and current specs of the Wingspan retracts that I am installing.
Voltage 4.8 to 7.2 volts
Current draw (idle) 5mA
Current draw (operating) 900ma
Cycle time w/ 4.8 volt- 10 seconds
Cycle time w/ 6.0 volt- 8 seconds
Cycle time w. 7.2 volt- 6 seconds

While I have verified the operating speed with a 4 cell, I have not done so using a 5 cell. I will meassure the current under load within the next few days and post the results.
It seems that these retracts can operate on the voltage supplied from a 2s lipo.

Other features as stated in the manual are;
Smart Sense technology
Each retract is independently reversible
Each retract has a built-in 4 second delay (I'm not sure what this is for?)
Ball bearing supported jackscrew
Positive up and down locks
Shock/vibration isolated circuit borad
All metal gearbox and drive train
2 over current protection schemes
Suitable for aircraft weighing up to 10 lbs (4.08Kg)
Accepts 5/32-3/8 struts (3.9-9.5mm)

Dash7ATP 11-07-2011 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a note regarding the gear strut cutting into the spar on the P-40. On the full scale P-40, the gear strut is actually on the outside of the wing so that it does not compromise the spar. That's why the P-40 has the gear housing and cover on the outside of the wing. I have a photoItook that shows that. I was lucky enough to get a flight in an Avenger two years ago and the P-40 flew with us to an event.. You can see the lower end of the gear strut (the light colored object in the center of the wing) is completely below the wing surface.

I have a CMPP-40 and on that kit,it came from the factory with the lower spar completely cut in two so that the gear could retract completely inside of the wing, incorrectly. I actually added about a half inch to the top of the gear mounting pads to raise the gear mounts. It still allows the struts to remain inside of the covers.

Dash

flutter caused it 11-07-2011 02:45 PM

Didn't know that, thanks Dash. I guess thats reason enough why the P40 had those large pods surrounding the gear. Nice photo too.

flutter caused it 11-08-2011 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The one thing that is clear is that the WingSpan retracts are slightly larger than the stock and the previous set of electrics. Something was going to have to change. Either I could modify the wing panel to accept the larger gear, or I could attempt to modify the gear itself (which could potentially void the warranty). Although the Wingpan gear appear to be sturdy, and constructed with quality components, I have no data to confirm their longevity once installed into the aircraft. In the unlikely event that something should fail, I wanted the option to refit the previous gear. After considering all options, I decided to modify the WingSpan retracts to fit the wing. After comparing the WingSpan retracts to the previous stock or even the LADO's, this should be a relatively simple procedure. Remember that WingSpan does not state that these are an exact drop in replacment for the Hangar 9 warbirds, they do appear that they can be made to fit with very little effort. Modifying the gear itself is only my choice, and someone else may elect to pursue a different option. My hopes are that if only the base (mounting area) of the retract was modified slighty to fit the aircraft, WingSpan would still honor their warranty concerning the electronics or operating mechanisms if something should fail that could not be attributed to the modified base. In comparing the WingSpan retract to the old electric set, it was plain to see that I would need to remove some material from the sides of the base only. It was also apparent that the four mounting holes in the WingSpans base did not line up with the screw holes already in the aircraft. If you are building a aircraft as new, the holes in the WingSpan retracts base may work for you without modification. Since may desire was to make the retract fit my aircraft, will need to remove material from each side of the base, and drill four new holes through the base to mount them into my P40. I've photographed the sets fairly well. The first photo shows both the previous gear and the WingSpan to give an idea of how much of the mounting base would need to be removed.
Also note that the size of the housing that encloses the operating mechanisms and electronics are virtually identicle to that of the old landing gear, this is a good thing!

flutter caused it 11-08-2011 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What I did was to wrap the mounting area with masking tape. I layed my old retract on top of the WingSpan retract and using a ball point pen, I marked the sides to give me an idea of how much material needed to be removed. Since the retracts case is made from aluminum, removing material should'nt be very difficult. Any number of methods could be utilized. A band saw, hack saw, dremel with a drum sander or even a file could potentially be used. Just remember that as well constructed as the retracts appear, there are very delicate components located within the housing, so care should be used to avoid anything to jarring. I am lucky enough to have a neighbor who has a woodworking shop. Inside the shop is a Shopsmith table that just happens to have the perfect tool to gently remove the excess mounting area. A 14 inch sanding disc that is mounted perpendicular to the table. Not shown in the picture was a flat piece of wood that I had layed on the table top to avoid placing the retract itself on the tables metal surface. I should also note that there are small micro switches located on the retract that allow a delayed sequence to occur, and also for reversing the retracts movement. CARE must be utilized to prevent damage to these switches.

flutter caused it 11-08-2011 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These photos were taken after the material was removed using the sanding disc. It took about 1 minute for each side. The entire process took me a total of about 10 minutes. The second photo shows the WingSpan retract (with modified base) next to the old retract. There is still plenty of area left for which to mount them. I did chamfer the corners slightly also. The second photo also gives you an idea of how the mounting holes differ. Again, this may not pose a problem for you if this is a new installation, but as I am not wanting to modify the wing, I now need to redrill some holes. Drilling new holes is a very critical procedure, as the holes have to line up perfectly with those in the wing. My plan is to apply more masking tape onto the bottom of the WingSpan, also place the old retract upside down on top of the new retract, and use a ball point pen to mark the screw hole locations. I'm thinking that I will once again need to borrow my neighbors shop, which gives me access to his drill press. I can use a very small drill bit to start a pilot hole, and then drill the four holes to the proper diameter. This is a job for tomorrow. Everything has gone well so far. In looking forward, the WingSpans housing is just ever so slightly wider than the old retract. In looking at the photos, the difference cannot even be seen. Since the old retracts were such a tight fit, it will be necessaary to slightly widen an area inside the wing to allow the WingSpans to fit. Although I didnt want to modify the wing itself, I have no problems with this mod, as it will not hinder reftting of the old gear if I so chose. The amount of material on each side of the wings servo compartment is so miniscule, I cannot meassure it. It is less than 1/32 inch. I could probably wiggle the new retract into position if I used a little force, but I would rather do it the right way. I will use a small handheld rasp file to slighty widen the area at the ball point pens tip.

flutter caused it 11-08-2011 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a friends Top Flite P 47 arf, 60 size (I think it is the "gold" edition). Although the warbird didn't come with the razor back, he decided to modify the brand new plane to razorback status. He did an excellent job!

Whistling Death 11-08-2011 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: flutter caused it

Each retract has a built-in 4 second delay (I'm not sure what this is for?)
Maybe a safety feature to prevent the "igno-second". The second after you realized you accidentally hit the retract switch when you are still on the ground. Gives you time to switch it back.

Flutter, too bad you don't have access to a milling machine so you could elongate the screw holes. Then you wouldn't have to modify the wing.

WSRetracts 11-08-2011 07:48 AM

The 4 second delay is a feature I have added to the retracts to allow for a staggered retracts sequence. In many full size warbirds like the P-51 the gear did not retract together, they were slightly staggered as a result of the hydraulic system.  Turning on the delay in the retracts gives very much the same effect.     That is what the delay feature is for.  <div>
</div><div>As for the warranty or return with respect to modifying the retracts, here are our policies.  First, since we offer a 30 day money back guarantee we will provide a full refund no questions asked provided the retracts are returned in like new condition.  Any modifications (i.e. cutting down the mounting flange) to the retracts during the 30 day period that are returned will result in a 15% restocking fee.  Any retracts that have been modified and returned in non working condition will be evaluated to determine if the modifications caused the retracts to fail.  If the modifications caused the one or all of the retracts to fail then a 30% restocking fee will charged.  If the modifications did not result in the retracts to fail then the 15% restocking fee will be charged.</div><div>
</div><div>Very similar conditions apply to the warranty as well.  Modifications such as cutting down the mounting flange will not void the warranty unless it is determined that the modifications caused the failure.  Any miss-handling of the retracts that causes damage will not be covered by the warranty.  More information on the details of the warranty can be found at http://www.wingspanretracts.com/Warranty.  </div><div>
</div><div>If anyone has any questions please contact me at [email protected].</div><div>

flutter caused it 11-08-2011 10:15 AM

A milling machine would be the ticket for sure. It's not out of the question, as I have another friend whos best friend who owns a machine down the road. This friend just so happens to owe me a favor. Moral for the day- Sometimes it's good to have alot of friends, sometimes!!

WSRetracts 11-08-2011 12:03 PM

I highly recommend being very very careful with the metal filings. While I have done my best to isolate the electronics and the motor from outside contaminants any metal filings that get inside the retracts units could short the electronics. This would void the warranty.<div></div><div>Michael</div><div>WingSpan Retracts</div>

Steorts Airport 11-11-2011 05:12 AM

I recently recieved a set of the Wingspan Rotating Retracts. After installing them in a Great Planes P40 60 size warbird, I noticed a play in the left/right movement in the york (the mechanism where the strut sets in). Is there any adjustment to be made to tighten this play?

flutter caused it 11-12-2011 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Im not sure if there is a way to adjust out any play. Is it excessive, or simply a culmination of all of the moveable parts necessary for operation? I may have forgotten to mention that I am a RN nursing student, with only a few weeks left for graduation. I've been busy with homework, clinical rotations, case studys, and the like. The P40 wing still sits on my table, and I have made progress on the install. I will post pictures today. The retracts are finally in (only one of them). Since the WingSpans work opposite of the lados, I reversed the micro switch on the WingSpan to allow both the WingSpan and the Lado to work in harmony. I plan on taking a video of the two in operation, and posting it also. I was able to fit the WingSpan without cutting out what I believe is a structual component- the lower spar. Only slight trimming was needed. I was happy about this.

flutter caused it 11-12-2011 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have also reattached the plastic gear covers to the wing and determined that everything will fit. I was once worried that because the WingSpan retracts were slightly larger overall as compared to the old gear, that I might have problems when re-installing the plastic covers. This was not the case. I did have to dremmel out a very small portion of the covers, but they are back on the wing with no interference issues.

vallawyer 11-12-2011 09:10 AM

Will these be big enough for a real giant scale plane, like my Easytiger FW190?  I have never had electric retracts before.  There is a big difference between retracts for a 60 sized plane like that and a 30 pound giant, do you make stuff big enough?

Steorts Airport 11-12-2011 03:01 PM

Sorry that was ment for Micheal from Wingspan