RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10880219-spitfire-brotherhood-all-spitfires-welcome.html)

DGUY 05-23-2012 06:17 PM

RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

JORDY200,
You have one fine plane.

WARBIRDRCER 05-23-2012 06:23 PM

Which PICA Spitfire do you have?

SuchIsLife 05-24-2012 12:41 AM

Sign me up please!<div></div><div>I am halfway through adding as many scale details as I can to a Dynam 1200mm Mk.IX Spitfire. It's my first Spit, as I refused to crash one due to inexperience (Saw it as disrespectful :) )so made myself wait until I could fly well. Then got distracted by my Camel and half a dozen other models.</div><div></div><div>Got the rivets, paint and cockpit done, sliding canopy, I'll post pics when my new camera gets here next week.</div>

spadsriver09 05-28-2012 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Memorial Day!!!
I would like to say THANK YOU to all of our Vets
I would also like to salute a recently fallen Vet of the Battle of the Buldge
Lloyd Hamliton Fly your Jenny PROUD!!

Well I have been busy working on DW-O to try and catch up with Ham639 who is doing DW-K. Finally got some color on her. Now the fun will begin with the weathering. Right now she is prim and proper, but we want a dirty girl !
Specs:
Ziroli 100" Spitfire
3W 80xi
Robart Retracts and Wheels
Futaba radio gear
24x10 Mezjlik 3 blade
Latex and Modelmaster Acryls paint

jetster 05-28-2012 05:14 AM

Great job on your spit spadsriver09 and from the picture,you will be leading the flight! your friend Rich, hope to see it at cards

spadsriver09 05-28-2012 07:18 AM

Hey Rich, Thanks buddy I hope it will pass your inspection!!! I Still need to CG it and finish the canopy. Oh yeah also just finishing up "OUR" Vacuum Former first pull later today!!

We will be there @ the Cards you guys put on a event and I would love to bring her but we will see how all else goes

Thanks
Lee<br type="_moz" />

jet22b 05-28-2012 11:05 AM

spadriver09;
Great looking Spit!!! In one of your pictures, I see trim tabs on the tail. Do they work??? Very nice touch anyway. Good luck on the maiden flight, and please let the brotherhood know how it went!!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

WARBIRDRCER 05-28-2012 12:47 PM

Greetings all,

I recently picked up a 60 size PICA Spitfire from a friend the other day. It has been sitting for years in sort of a SAARC “Sand And Almost Ready to Cover” state of being. Today one of my RC friends took it off of my hands to complete it for me. We are looking to just stiff leg her and bolt some variant of a 2 stroke 61 series powerplant up front to have a fun windy day flyer, which we have a lot of in Oklahoma.

I will keep you posted.

Out,

spadsriver09 05-28-2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jet22b, The trims tabs are "fixed" but could be ajusted if needed. Its the small things like the trim tabs that start bringing the plane to life. My goal is trying to do each plane better thatn the one before ( really taxes the patience thing though)

Lee

RCdude13 05-28-2012 04:35 PM

Lee,
Can you or Chuck (Sam639) explain how set up your exhaust and muffler on your Ziroli Spitfires? I'm considering a Z Spit as my next build. I've built 4 Ziroli warbirds, 3 of which have ZDZ 80's with round cowls which makes it pretty easy to hide the muffler. Got any engine pics with the cowl off? The tight cowl on a Spit makes me think it will be hard to hide the exhaust.
Andris.
p.s. I'd like to join the brotherhood when i start my Z Spit.

spadsriver09 05-28-2012 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Andris, we both used "pitts" style mufflers, I had to Shave a little off of the can itself and chuck needed to shave a little off the header as he is using a zdz80 here are some pics of my set up
Lee

I will post some pics later as I keep getting the 500 error
<br type="_moz" />

mistermnkim 05-28-2012 05:45 PM

Guys how do I upload pics here? I can get them to my personal account but not to any thread? What am I doing wrong?

mistermnkim 05-28-2012 05:52 PM

I have the Larger PICA spitfire!

WARBIRDRCER 05-28-2012 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: RCdude13

Lee,
Can you or Chuck (Sam639) explain how set up your exhaust and muffler on your Ziroli Spitfires? I'm considering a Z Spit as my next build. I've built 4 Ziroli warbirds, 3 of which have ZDZ 80's with round cowls which makes it pretty easy to hide the muffler. Got any engine pics with the cowl off? The tight cowl on a Spit makes me think it will be hard to hide the exhaust.
Andris.
p.s. I'd like to join the brotherhood when i start my Z Spit.
No need to wait, Welcome to the Squadron. Spitfire Brotherhood #93

saramos 05-28-2012 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

Guys how do I upload pics here? I can get them to my personal account but not to any thread? What am I doing wrong?

Use the Reply button in the upper right corner of a preceeding post instead of the Fast Reply at the bottom of the thread. Then, at the bottom of the window where you type your post, there will be two choices.

Beta: Muti-File Upload with Progress Bar! and Click here to upload images and files!

Not sure if the BETA is working, but Click here to upload images works.

Actually, the BETA worked and the Click here to upload images didn't!

mistermnkim 05-28-2012 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok thanks!! let me try..

mistermnkim 05-28-2012 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW it worked!! lol thanks!

mistermnkim 05-28-2012 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

mad web tv scientist 05-28-2012 10:13 PM

THANK YOU FELLOW VETERANS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE AND WHAT MANY OF YOU ARE STILL DOING!

:)Thank you Spitfire brothers for your continuing contributions to this thread regardless of flack or fighter interference.
I do have yet another confession to make in reference to big R/C model aircraft. First of all let me say that your approach to modeling is priceless for the well being of not only modeling but also for the preserving of history. There's no way to beat what the big birds have done in film like the Battle of Britain and continue to do in the hands of skilled modelers to remind us of the subtleties of full size aircraft like behavior. Yes, I was one of the "big bird bad mouthers" back in my formative years. You were simply too dangerous for me then. I'm sure many of you still remember the big lawsuits, etc. that happened in the now rapidly disappearing past.

As a former control-line aerobatics and combat competitor I used to spoof R/C'ers about saying they were "feeling their airplanes" fly. Now that I am hooked on R/C fighters - no more such spoofing.

Another really great thing that is becoming increasingly obvious here is the deep devotion for building models of this truly great aircraft as expressed in the posts on this thread. There is a sense of the kind freedom inherent in the joy of victory over tyranny by airpower that makes fighter planes so intoxicatingly heroic and irresistible! That said, it is important for us to strive to remember that there are causes greater than ourselves that we must try to appreciate as we enjoy our planes; not only for our own benefit but for the benefit of our non-Spitfire Brothers as well.

Please keep up the good work. Check Six. Two thirds (2/3rds) of my "Battle of Britain" Commemoration Air force put up a very successful air show recently (landings need more work - since I like belly landing airplanes because they don't humiliate me as much as ROG beasts do, my landings don't count in the scores I award myself).

Out.

:) :(

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

TALLY-HO Chaps! World changing batteries can now be learned about by typing "mad thorium batteries" into YAHOO!

RCdude13 05-29-2012 07:22 AM

I'm in as Brother #93...Thanks. This is a terrific thread. I can't wait to start my Ziroli Spitfire!

wphilb 05-29-2012 07:25 AM

Please add me to the lbrotherhood list. YA Spitfire, MN-E<div>
</div><div>Whitney</div>

mistermnkim 05-29-2012 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my engine, hope it enough!! MOKI 1.8

Ham639 05-29-2012 08:32 AM

RCdude,

On my Ziroli Spit I did use a Pitts style muffler that was cut down to keep in the cowl. I will try and send pics later.

But to make things easier, or if I had to do it all over again, I would rotate the engine about 5-10 off bottom center to get more clearance for the header.

Initial engines run have been fine, but it was a lot of work to modify the muffler. It would of been simpler to modify the exhaust tubes to come out of the bottom of the A/C.

Cheers,

Ham639

spadsriver09 05-29-2012 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics of the 3W-80xi with pitts style

wulf190 05-29-2012 02:56 PM

Spad: What spinner did you use? It looks good. I got the plans and parts recently, but it's well down the list of construction tasks on hand. Pretty sure that the Don Smith Mosquito spinner I have on hand is the spinner I will use for a MkII. Good scale profile for an early mark, but it will require a thicker backplate which won't be too tough.

You guys might not happen to have a wood list for the Z. Spit would you? The parts and plans are fantastic. I may have to push it forward on the to do list.