RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10880219-spitfire-brotherhood-all-spitfires-welcome.html)

WARBIRDRCER 07-12-2012 07:28 PM

RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Spitfire Mk IX (Spitfire in action #39 squadron/signal)

In 1942 a FW-190A-3 was test flown in England and this test showed the British they were going to need a fighter better than the Mk V. Because it would take to long to put a completely new variant of a Spitfire into production the answer to this need was to modify the earlier Mk Vb Spitfire airframes. These modifications took place at Supermarine at Castle Bromwich as supplies became available.

The first produced was the F model Mk IX and became operational in July of 1942. Initially they used the ( b ) and ( c ) type wings, but later the new ( e ) or “Universal” wing with 4 x 20mm Hispano cannons or 2 cannons and 2 Browning 0.5 inch machine guns which were fitted to later aircraft.

Early production Mk IX Spitfires retained the rounded vertical stabilizer and rudder of the Mk V aircraft.

WARBIRDRCER 07-12-2012 07:40 PM

Hal,

Could you post some photos of the install for the keleo exhaust?

Thank you,

WARBIRDRCER 07-12-2012 07:58 PM

Chad,

Thanks for providing me with the detail below. This along with your other combined information is greatly assisting me in my build decision.

I will be posting my thoughts on my build soon, so you and others please comment as needed to help keep me as close to a full scale counterpart subject as possible.

Thanks,

Copied from post 812

“4. The CARF airplane is also supplied with the early style elevator counterbalances which, again, were features for the Mk.I, II, V, and XII. All but the earliest of Mk.IX Spitfires had a revised counterbalance as seen on the right in the picture below.”

77chickenhawk 07-12-2012 08:42 PM

Aww ya gotta tell us you have video or going to make some of this monster in the air??!! :o) inlines have a sound all there own! I have the ZDZ inline 100 in a P-40. Havent flown it. Yet but OMG what a sound she makes… made a sweet mandrel bent two into one header for it and it has a F-1 indy car sound to it WoW

saramos 07-12-2012 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mk. IX I modeled was MK 732 which still flys and is owned by the RNAF. This is one of the early Mk IX using the earlier wings and stab. There are good photos of this particular Spitfire (as well as a lot of others) in the book Spitfire Flying Legend.

Scott

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

WARBIRDRCER;
Here are some update pictures of the Top Flite Spitfire Mk IX build. As you can see I still have lots of work to do. Sitting the left and right wing to the center section. The link that I gave you has been a big help on the wing build. I am going with Robart retract in the wing, but, if you are going with C.J. gear, take a look at his setup. Will sheet the center section tomorrow if I have time. It is so good building again. This is the part of the hobby I love!!
Stay tune for more build update!!
Brotherhood #12 back to the hangar!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Sonny,

How is your build coming along?

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: hal_bert

brothers,
a few shots of my Carf spitfire....DA-85,keleo exhaust,Down and Locked converted sierra retracts,Flightline graphics
has not had maiden...picture 5 and 7 is the real JH*C BM597 ..notice later stab..
walkarounds available on internet

I had decided there was no way I could build a completely scale MKV so I used features and colors I prefered
and tried to replicate the plane I liked..there were probably MKV's with 6 port exhaust[img][/img]

Nigel Wagstaff of Flightline Graphics scaled all the paint masks and nomenclature to 1.433

Paint is a combination of flat krylon spray,acrylic latex and flat Krylon clear over all.....

teflon tape wrapped around exhaust tubes per Kelvin and auto heat shields

1/4 scale Premier british pilot and 1/4 scale dbalsa cockpit

handmade antenna, Hobby king guns,Robart wheels

Hal,

Explane the converted sierra retracts

Hobby king guns?

How is the Dbalsa cockpit interior fit and function?

Thanks,

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:16 AM

David,

Can you explain this photo and provide some installed photos after it was completed?

I am taking notes on cooling and carb air ducting ideas for my DA-85 install.

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:17 AM

Scott,

Thank for the lead on Spitfire Flying Legend.

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:28 AM

Brotherhood Update, we now have 108 in our squadron.

Welcome all!

Spitfire Brotherhood
Start Date: 12-28-2011
Current Date: 07-13-2012
Roster

1.Warbirdrcer
1.5 Talimena Kidd
2.tfarmer96
3.KP
4.Helijet
5.Brad3301
6.MajorTomski
7.Daddysam
8.FireBee
9.denoferth
10.Landeck
11.jcpenney
12.jet22b
13.funfly-RCU
14.flyingpiggy
15.glazier808
16.Super Chief
17.verbails
18.jetjockey 3
19.triumphman49
20.Trent Smith
21.rtigg
22.saito18
23.warbirdguy
24.stephanmk1
25.Rotten40851
26. kenair
27.aerofalcon
28.DGUY
29.dasintex
30.Chad Veich
31.Asanders
32.hy flyr
33.dgiokas
34.Capt Easy
35.Meschmidt
36.Cal Branton
37.Pitts532M
38.dennymo
39.lovehydro
40.YellowAircraft
41.flyingchef
42.thrawn150
43.j-d
44.tevans55
45.H. Dale
46.bonemadderek
47.flyntruk
48.discusmike
49.HAM639
50.redtail
51.barron
52.Saramos
53.discusmike
54.tclocs
55.Vasek
56.Saburo Sakai
57.Nordicz
58.Orvis
59.Tony Iannucelli
60.Lifer
61.Crash Bandicoute
62.CRJDriver
63.fytrjok
64.mad web tv scientist
65.David Bathe
66.77chickenhawk
67.stimul8tor
68.hockeypilot
69.JoeSpitfire
70.Flakbait
71.SIX GUNS
72.spadsriver09
73.ForcesR
74.rogera
75.Hairy46
76.markhamregular
77.JL636
78.wpdunn3
79.Warbird 1
80.Moparmaniac
81.moto-x
82.baldeagle
83.2001az
84.schulze rocks
85.Skopik
86.Syd Byrne
87.albsurfer
88.KiwiKid
89.shanksow
90.JORDY200
91.mistermnkim
92.SuchIsLife
93.RCdude13
94.wphilb
95.hal_bert
96.prgonzalez
97.bogeyp38
98.TwinTurboZ
99.Jimmy Skids
100. SafetyWrench
101. Peter OZ
102. Old Navy Flyer
103. tahfiet
104. Pakcikjo
105. marquisvns
106. TheEdge
107. ahgoodman
108. F4u5

If you would like to join the Spitfire Brotherhood please send me an e-mail at [email protected], send me a PM, e-mail right here from RCU, or just make your request on this thread. I will track and assign you a number. Who knows, maybe in the future we can have some squadron shirts and/or hats made.

Never can tell when you may run into another Spitfire Brother somewhere, so join now.

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 09:31 AM

ASanders,

How are things going on your Spitfire and how much time in service do you have on it now?

davidhand 07-13-2012 09:37 AM

A while ago I started to build a 1/6 scale spitfire which I intended to finish like the prototype K 5054. To accomplish this I have an almost complete set of Vickers-Supermarine plans of an actual Mk I spitfire. I have been somewhat discouraged however by people who have told me that a Mk I model will not fly well because of its short nose and small tailplane (horizontal stab) area. It has been suggested that I lengthen the nose and increase the tailplane area, but then of course its not scale any more. Does anyone have any input (solution) on this?

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 10:22 AM

Flyingchef,

Can you give me some guidance on where, or how to fabricate the cannon fairings as you did?

Flyingchef's aircraft below:

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 10:41 AM

David,

I am merely shooting in the dark here, but I have seen and flown many aircraft that have had short to no nose and small to no tails at all and they flew just fine. I like the idea you have and even thought of it too with the one I have until I discovered the differences. I say build on and prove the others it can be done.

Keep us posted on the progress,

Thanks

K5054 below

jet22b 07-13-2012 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

WARBIRDRCER;
Here are some update pictures of the Top Flite Spitfire Mk IX build. As you can see I still have lots of work to do. Sitting the left and right wing to the center section. The link that I gave you has been a big help on the wing build. I am going with Robart retract in the wing, but, if you are going with C.J. gear, take a look at his setup. Will sheet the center section tomorrow if I have time. It is so good building again. This is the part of the hobby I love!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Sonny,

The build is going great!! The wings are almost done, ( I will post picture later ). The sheeting on the center secton is so thin and very easy to break. Ask me how I know!!!:D:D The 1/6 ply flaps skins that came with the kit was so bad out of shape, I had to cut new skins. I am thinking of going with a retract tail wheel, but I can't find info on if the MK IX had them. Like I said, I will post build update pictures.
One quick question, is the Spit you are working on, is a ARF or Kit??? Thanks for the info.
Sonny
aka
jet22b

rcnats 07-13-2012 11:45 AM

I just got a Pica 1/5 Spit all built, painted, retracts installed, and even a few servos! Tried to put a ST 4500 in it but settled on a 50cc instead.I'll send some pics. Please sign me up! Thanks!

Chad Veich 07-13-2012 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: davidhand

A while ago I started to build a 1/6 scale spitfire which I intended to finish like the prototype K 5054. To accomplish this I have an almost complete set of Vickers-Supermarine plans of an actual Mk I spitfire. I have been somewhat discouraged however by people who have told me that a Mk I model will not fly well because of its short nose and small tailplane (horizontal stab) area. It has been suggested that I lengthen the nose and increase the tailplane area, but then of course its not scale any more. Does anyone have any input (solution) on this?
David,

Lots of 1/6 scale models of the Spitfire have flown just fine with scale size tail feathers. The Mick Reeves kit comes immediately to mind as well as the various offerings from Brian Taylor that are just slightly under 1/6 scale. The tail surfaces of a Mk.I Spitfire are no smaller than those of any other Spitfire with the exception of the very late models. The trick with an airplane like the Spitfire which has relatively small tail surfaces and a long tail moment is generally to keep the CG a bit more forward. As for the short nose, it certainly makes things a bit more difficult but is not insurmountable by any means. Once again I will point to the many models of the Mk.I/II Spitfire which have been built and flown from the 69 inch span Brian Taylor plan. It pays to be very dilligent about keeping the tail light and getting as much weight forward as possible. Will a Mk.I Spitfire be more challenging than some other types? Probably. Can it be done and fly well? Absolutely.

Saburo Sakai 07-13-2012 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's one tasty lookin' Spitfire, Flyingchef!

#56 S.S.

flyingchef 07-13-2012 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Flyingchef,

Can you give me some guidance on where, or how to fabricate the cannon fairings as you did?

Flyingchef's aircraft below:

I purchased the hardest dowel at home depot then cut two pieces slightly longer than what I needed for the two canons shrouds. I cut as well two other pieces for the base where the shroud screwed in. The dowel pieces were turned down to the proper diameter and the center hole drilled on my metal lathe(a big mess to clean after words).
I shortened the canon dowel sections to the proper length on the lathe as well to obtain the flattest section so it fits tightly on the base to eliminate any gap possible. Once I was happy with the fit of the base and the canon shroud I went on tapering and finishing the canon shrouds. Some wood sealer, primer were applied then installed on the plane for finishing and painting. the canon ends are turned of aluminum, painted with flat black then glued on the shrouds.
Hope this help!
Bruno

John Taylor 07-13-2012 03:57 PM

Hello Spitfire Brotherhood Just want to say what a great thread. I'm suffering Spitfire info overload. I plan on building the Top Flite Gold edition Mk 9
and plan on making it electric. with electric retracts. Still plotting out which equipment to use. So sign me up. John T.

hal_bert 07-13-2012 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hobby king 1/5 spitfire guns....$13 ea...need 2 sets

sierra retracts converted to electric by Down and Locked ....Mitch Stott

I think dbalsa cockpit kit is gonna be ok....using top of wing as cockpit floor....real plane had no floor or wing top in cockpit

spent about two weeks building it

Ziroli spitfire accessories..inner gear doors,rear view mirror,etc.

vacuum formed scale wing blisters

spitfire brother #95

jet22b 07-13-2012 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

WARBIRDRCER;

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Sonny,

Here you go, WARBIRDRCER,
As you can see things are moving along. The radiators almost look like the ones in your kit!! Still have to build the bottom flaps and ailerons and add the tips. One thing I am going to be is to mix some 30 min epoxy and thin it with alcohol and paint the center section with it. Like I said before, the sheeting is very thin!! Oh well, taking the weekend to do some flying!!
HAve a great weekend brotherhood!!! I will be back with more build updates!!

jet22b 07-13-2012 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: John Taylor

Hello Spitfire Brotherhood Just want to say what a great thread. I'm suffering Spitfire info overload. I plan on building the Top Flite Gold edition Mk 9
and plan on making it electric. with electric retracts. Still plotting out which equipment to use. So sign me up. John T.
John T,
Welcome to the Brotherhood. I am build the Top Flite Spitfire Mk IX right now and its a joy to build.
Again, welcome to the hood!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

lkruse 07-13-2012 06:35 PM

Just acquired a NIB Kyosho Supermarine Spitfire 50 GP which will go together later this summer. Put me down as a provisional member!

Larry Kruse
Lawton, OK

WARBIRDRCER 07-13-2012 07:54 PM

Larry,

Good to hear from you and welcome. Welcome to the others too.

When in the OKC area be sure to contact me, or just come up and visit one weekend and fly with me at our new field.

Are you still writing for Flying Models?