RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10880219-spitfire-brotherhood-all-spitfires-welcome.html)

Mart (Ham) 01-28-2013 02:23 AM

RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Hi guys,
I have a new esm 72" spit and was wondering if anyone has tried fitting the new Dle 35 with the rear exhaust, I was going to fit the Dle 20 but not sure if its going to give me enough power to rip the strip up on some nice low passes :)
I've seen the Dle 30 being used but the cowl has to be cut up the side to much for my liking.
So anybody tried the 35?

Brad330l 01-28-2013 02:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

There you go :) Thats a happy ending to a ''having a bad day'' story lol

BTW here is a link to a site that has some decals for 1/5th spitfire http://www.iflytailies.com/store/decals/

WBG
Very cool!! Bookmarked.
Thanks for posting.

Brad

f16man 01-28-2013 10:19 AM

Looked at the small spit over the weekend and it is a ziroli 65" wing span the plans are sill ok and could be reproduced if anyone is interested...........................

BobH 01-28-2013 11:11 AM

Don't think ziroli ever made a small spit..:)

jet22b 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Hopefully it will get patched back up and flying soon :)
That particular accident happened back in December of 2009. The Spitfire, MH367, has been repaired and flying again for quite some time.
Chad,
Thanks for the info. I am glad they repair it and its back flying!! Can you recall what happen to make it crash??
Thanks!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

tevans55 01-28-2013 02:00 PM

Mart (Ham)-

I have the ESM SPit with a DLE 20 and the ESM Corsair 74" with the DLE 35 RA. The 35 should fit fine. THe length of the engine from firewall to thrust washer is 160 mm and the Spit calls for the thrust washer to be 158 mm from the firewall. You will have to cut open a good portion of the bottom of the cowl but that is not really a problem. You also need additional nose weight so that is a plus. Good Luck, hope this helps.

TTRotary 01-28-2013 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Mart (Ham)-

I have the ESM SPit with a DLE 20 and the ESM Corsair 74" with the DLE 35 RA. The 35 should fit fine. THe length of the engine from firewall to thrust washer is 160 mm and the Spit calls for the thrust washer to be 158 mm from the firewall. You will have to cut open a good portion of the bottom of the cowl but that is not really a problem. You also need additional nose weight so that is a plus. Good Luck, hope this helps.
I'd be curious as to any details you can provide on the ESM Spitty. I have the 72.5" ARF and am preparing a build pretty soon. I hear this plane needs a TON of nose weight and the CG provided by ESM is way off. Curious how much weight you have to add, what your flying weight is, and what CG you wound up at. Also curious which retracts you went with and how that's working out.

Marc - Spit brother #147

tevans55 01-28-2013 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't want to hijack this great thread. Here is a thread on this plane with lot's of great info.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

I have been flying this plane for 4 years with an OS 120 AX and just changed the engine to a DLE 20. I am using the prototype Century Jet retracts. We used my plane to develop the retracts and they are strong and have never developed any slop. The CG should be at 107 mm and I added around 2 lbs of nose weight. That sounds like a lot for this size plane but it's a Spitfire...it will fly great! I also use about 70 degrees of flap for landing and it handles it extremely well. One thing I noticed with the flaps on this plane is that the plane does not balloon as I add flaps, it just slows down. Here is a shot of the retracts and the DLE 20 inside the cowl before I installed the JTec muffler. I also have a SR Batteries 3500 mAh NiCd mounted on top of the engine for nose weight. Hope this helps!

Mart (Ham) 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

Mart (Ham)-

I have the ESM SPit with a DLE 20 and the ESM Corsair 74'' with the DLE 35 RA. The 35 should fit fine. THe length of the engine from firewall to thrust washer is 160 mm and the Spit calls for the thrust washer to be 158 mm from the firewall. You will have to cut open a good portion of the bottom of the cowl but that is not really a problem. You also need additional nose weight so that is a plus. Good Luck, hope this helps.
Tevans55
Thanks for that helpfull info, how does the Dle 20 pull the corsair around? I wasn't sure if it would be quite enough power for the spit.

jet22b 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

tevans55;
Thanks for the link!! I am looking to build another Spit and this will give me a lot of info.
Sonny
aka
jet22b

WARBIRDRCER 01-28-2013 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Hi guys, I few pages ago (post 1713) I mentioned that we have a new Spitfire flying. Here's my little GWS Spit at TORKS field in OKC. Not very happy with it yet. I have the CG where it is supposed to be but it is very twitchy. I'm going to try more nose weight.
Tom,

How is the spitfire? How is it flying and holding up in these Oklahoma winds?

Chad Veich 01-28-2013 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

That particular accident happened back in December of 2009. The Spitfire, MH367, has been repaired and flying again for quite some time.
Chad,
Thanks for the info. I am glad they repair it and its back flying!! Can you recall what happen to make it crash??
Thanks!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
I'm not sure what the official report concluded but, as I recall, the pilot was blaming a sudden change in wind direction as the airplane was rolling out after landing. It was a bad year for that particular plane and pilot as he damaged it earlier in the year with a hard landing. Been incident free ever since so far as I'm aware though!

tevans55 01-28-2013 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Mart (Ham)

Mart (Ham)-

I have the ESM SPit with a DLE 20 and the ESM Corsair 74'' with the DLE 35 RA. The 35 should fit fine. THe length of the engine from firewall to thrust washer is 160 mm and the Spit calls for the thrust washer to be 158 mm from the firewall. You will have to cut open a good portion of the bottom of the cowl but that is not really a problem. You also need additional nose weight so that is a plus. Good Luck, hope this helps.
Tevans55
Thanks for that helpfull info, how does the Dle 20 pull the corsair around? I wasn't sure if it would be quite enough power for the spit.
Mart (Ham)-

I have the DLE 35 RA in the Corsair and the DLE 20 in the Spitfire. It is a lot more power than the OS 120 AX and the 120 flew the plane very well. Weather here has been to bad to fly since I changed the engine.

facia 01-28-2013 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well brothers,
this is about as far as I am going to go with the mods to my Hangar 9 Spitfire.
I am happy with the gunpowder weathering now and all that is left to do, is
ironing out some wrinkles in the monokote and the flat clear.
Hopefully I will be able to do the clear coat this coming weekend.

Andreas
Happy building and flying.

Quikturn 01-28-2013 07:55 PM

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience or recomendations for a Pica Spitfire? I recently purchased a 60 size Pica Spitfire kit. Looking over the plans, I see there are provisions for optional retracts but nothing for split flaps. I would really like to have flaps but I'm not sure if there is an easy way to build them on a wing that is not designed for them.

Thanks,

Joe

catboater 01-28-2013 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TTRotary

In addition to reversed expo, it looked like a classic tail-heavy situation. Definitely sickening to watch. I strongly recommend that one flies the maiden on any Spitfire at CG = 25% root chord. No further back than that until one is comfortable with it. I just wound up leaving mine there on my elliptical wing birds because they fly on rails that way with straight mush-ahead stalls.

For landing, it also helps to add 3-5 deg aileron reflex with flaps to increase the tip stall margin.
Hate to see that. She was obviously tail heavy.

Emil The Swede 01-29-2013 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: TTRotary

Mart (Ham)-

I'd be curious as to any details you can provide on the ESM Spitty. I have the 72.5" ARF and am preparing a build pretty soon. I hear this plane needs a TON of nose weight and the CG provided by ESM is way off. Curious how much weight you have to add, what your flying weight is, and what CG you wound up at. Also curious which retracts you went with and how that's working out.

Marc - Spit brother #147
My ESM Spitfire weighs about 6,35 kg with an OS-200. I had to add about300 grams in the nose. Use a heavy aluminiumspinner. I found that having the CG av 115 mm from the leding edge is perfekt. I use the ESM gen2 pneumatic retracts and think they work good.As allways on a warbird: try to get the servoinstallation as close to the engine as possible and be careful with adding weigt on the tail. I have made a log on my build, its in Swedish but google translate might help. http://www.amfk.se/forum/viewtopic.p...&start=100

Good luck on the build!

ForcesR 01-29-2013 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: facia

Well brothers,
this is about as far as I am going to go with the mods to my Hangar 9 Spitfire.
I am happy with the gunpowder weathering now and all that is left to do, is
ironing out some wrinkles in the monokote and the flat clear.
Hopefully I will be able to do the clear coat this coming weekend.

Andreas
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial">Andreas, H9 aircraft come from the manufacturer covered in "Ultracote" not Monokote. Top Flite aircraftare covered withMonokote.When I build I prefer tocover the aircraft withMonokotevice Ultracote. I find that Monokote does not wrinkle as much,when applied properly as does Ultrcote.Others will say just the opposite; this is my experience with usingboth coverings.
</span></p>Roger

F4u5 01-29-2013 06:40 AM

OK, question for the brothers....I am about to start my Comp-ARF Spitfire. I will only be working on it in passing, as I am using it as fill time as I work on my Mosquito. So updates will be far betwen. I can post updates here, as I do not plan to do an entire build thread. I plan to power it with a Quadra 75 I have. Any interest in my posting?

Jeff

tevans55 01-29-2013 06:57 AM

Yes, Yes!

facia 01-29-2013 07:29 AM

Hi Roger,
you are correct. I mix up the two regularly.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ssed_smile.gif
It should be UltraCote.
I have had another look at my pictures and just realized that the
landing gear is reversed. The bottom short side should be facing to the rear.
Oh well, just have to change it around.

Andreas
<br type="_moz" />

facia 01-29-2013 07:32 AM

Hi Jeff,

yes, please.
I am thinking about my next fall winter project already and it will be another Spitfire.
I am torn between the Comp-ARF and the ESM Spitfire.
So following a Comp-ARF build would be great.

Andreas
<br type="_moz" />

F4u5 01-29-2013 08:08 AM

OK, so I will post updates of my Comp-ARF Spitty here. Stay tuned.

Jeff

jet22b 01-29-2013 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: facia

Hi Jeff,

yes, please.
I am thinking about my next fall winter project already and it will be another Spitfire.
I am torn between the Comp-ARF and the ESM Spitfire.
So following a Comp-ARF build would be great.

Andreas
<br type=''_moz'' />
Andreas,
I have the sane problem!!!:D
BTW: You are doing a great job on your H9 Spit. Like I said before, you will turn heads at your field this spring. Good luck when you maiden your bird and we want a flight report and or video!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

jet22b 01-29-2013 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Chad,
Thanks!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
I'm not sure what the official report concluded but, as I recall, the pilot was blaming a sudden change in wind direction as the airplane was rolling out after landing. It was a bad year for that particular plane and pilot as he damaged it earlier in the year with a hard landing. Been incident free ever since so far as I'm aware though!
Chad,
Thanks again for the info. Maybe the plane was just to much for the pilot. I had a pilot friend of mine told me years ago, that the plane pick the pilot and not the pilot pick the plane!! I don't know if that true or not, but, some time I think so!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b