RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10880219-spitfire-brotherhood-all-spitfires-welcome.html)

WARBIRDRCER 12-28-2011 04:09 PM

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Spitfire Brotherhood,

I took delivery on a Comp-ARF Spitfire in January 2011. Lazy Eight and I started a build thread then, but I was delayed by other projects and Lazy Eight decided to sell during his build.

Because of all of the interest I have seen in Spitfires on the former build thread, I thought there would be some interest also in forming a Spitfire Brotherhood.

I invite all Spitfire builders and flyers to join the brotherhood and ask you to post your Spitfire builds here regardless if it is from Scratch, Kit, ARF, or RTF.

If already complete, please post some photos and let us know what you chose for the Powerplant, radio, and how it fly’s.

If you would like to join the Spitfire Brotherhood, please send me an e-mail at [email protected], send me a PM or e-mail right here on RCU, or just make your request right here on this thread. I will track when I receive request and assign you a number based on the order by date and time when received. Who knows, maybe in the future we can have some squadron shirts and/or hats made.

Never can tell when you might run into another Spitfire Brother somewhere, so join now.

Steve Keesey
Spitfire Brotherhood #1
Flight Leader
Warbirds Over Oklahoma
www.warbirdsoverok.org

KP. 12-28-2011 04:17 PM

RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

I would like to join, I have a Platt 88" Spitfire. Thanks....Ken Pavlak

Helijet 12-28-2011 04:30 PM

Oh yes...love the Spitty! Lets see....a Parkzone version, Hangar 9 electric, KMP version powered by an OS 120AX, Yellow Aircraft with an OS twin ( originally built by Garland Hamilton ! ) and just finishing the 80" ESM with Sierra retracts, TYs cockpit, DLE 55.

Did I mention I like the Spit!

Cheers

Dean W.

Brad330l 12-28-2011 04:56 PM

I'm in.
PM sent. This is going to be a great thread.

All the best,

Brad

da Rock 12-28-2011 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread needs some Spitfire pictures.

Check out the funny little mountain in the background, btw.

She is just a H9 ARF, but hauls the mail with the OS91 and Master Airscrew 3 blade. Don't have the exhaust stacks finished yet, and that's a pity, but the ones that came in the box would look worse.

No kidding, she'll do over 100 and not break a sweat. Looks really nice beating up the field at speed.

MajorTomski 12-28-2011 05:16 PM

Hi Steve! I'm in with: all unbuilt

A topflite gold edition Nk IX with century jet retracts
a GWS foamy MkV
a Sureflite 40 sized foamy Mk II
A guillows 500 series Mk II
A Westwings Mk I (rubber powered free flight)
A Westwings Mk 22/24

and around 2 dozen 1/48 plastic kits from the Mk I to the Sptieful

One of these days I'll build one of them.

DaddySam 12-28-2011 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sign me up. Had a Pica 88" and have two BT 83" waiting in the shop for completion of my current Hurricane project. That plane had two wings. two engines, and three paint jobs!
Sam

tfarmer96 12-28-2011 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ill get in on this one. My first warbird was a topflite spitfire and to this day i still say the best flying 60 warbird i ever had

I have a comp arf spit in the box and a Brian Taylor in my fleet. Thanks for geting back to me so quick!

My topflite spitfire 2004 video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH54MtSLqxk[/youtube]

FireBee 12-28-2011 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in too. Great idea.

1978 Guillows free flight and I was hooked.

Dynaflight 40. (still a partial kit for my kids??)

Two Pica 88' spits.

- First was silver and Belgium cockards with cannons for high altitude MkIX. ST3000 and 26.5 lbs
Later converted to gas 3w-50. Lost to enemy action 2008. Ignition magnet came loose and gas engine died during a loop. I thought I had the field made and lowered the gear. you know the rest...Stall, spin, crash, burn and die. Should have bellied it in.

- Second Pica done up in American colors in Sicily scheme: Dark earth and sand HL*K .
Moki 2.10. 23 lbs. Upgrading with yellow scale wheels , Mk IX fiberglass cowl from England and smoke system for 2012 season.

Future Goal is the CARF Spitfire. So really looking forward to this.:)
I may paint in restored colors from www.militaryaviationmuseum.org. see pics.

r, Mike P.

FireBee 12-28-2011 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Left of the best one. thrilling!!!

denoferth 12-28-2011 07:48 PM

Great! Sign me up.

Dennis

youngguy 12-28-2011 10:20 PM

My favourite WWII fighter. Started with a Gillows kit many years ago, did a Platt 60 size and then his 1/5 version, a 70” Brian Taylor MK XIV, an 88” version of the same MK XIV (blew the plans up) which I still have with a rebuilt wing. I have two 1/5 scale versions under construction and Iam considering 1/4 scale version.

JR 12-28-2011 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Messageedited didnt join yet to brotherhood. Sorry.
Any way enjoy spitfire pics, if its allowed. -J-

Brad330l 12-28-2011 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: J�R�

Full composite small 51'' Spitfire mk1a still on process. Rcv 90 sp engine 3-blade scale size prop. Will not be easy flyer but... trying to make scale as can.
-Jukka-

Wow, a lot of work has gone into that.[X(]
Please keep posting.

Brad

Lifer 12-29-2011 02:08 AM

daRock,

What prop are you using on your H-9 Spitfire?

da Rock 12-29-2011 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Lifer

daRock,

What prop are you using on your H-9 Spitfire?

I'm running OS91 2-cycles on all my 60-90 size warbirds: H9 Spit, Thunderbolt, Corsair and Hellcat and the new TF P40. The Master Airscrew 14x7(3) is what's on all of them. I was worried at first the pitch would hurt landing approaches. No problem. The OS idles down perfectly and the airframes all seem to provide enough drag to get the airspeed down. That's a really lucky thing, as there are almost no 3 blades around.

BTW, the Hellcat clocked 113mph on radar a couple of months ago. Then came in to land as slow as can be. So that prop and engine can do it all.

I've recently gotten a Zinger 3-blade to test. It's got bolt in blades, so testing pitch and diameter is going to be possible. That's planned for the spring and will be done with the P40. It's got a huge spinner that can hide the huge hub setup on that Zinger. Man, I wish there were more 3s available. It really looks to me like our RC modeling community has shot itself in the head with the "efficiency" bullcrap.

FireBee 12-29-2011 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of my Pica 88" American spit under improvements. Cowl upgrade, not shown, is from Richard Rawle in England.

spitmad 12-29-2011 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

My Mk Vb Spitfire build can be found here, 96" span 3mm 53cc and around 38 - 40 lbs

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8074709

Cheers Alan

Lifer 12-29-2011 11:57 AM

da Rock,

Thank you for the reply! My H-9 Spitfire has a JBA 15 (corrected). I have a 13x8x3 but it will be test-flown this coming Spring. I'm a native mid-westerner, but a bit of a houseplant when it comes to cold weather flying. Build, build, build!

jcpenney 12-29-2011 01:38 PM

would like to join and inquire has anyone built the Hacker import of this model. bought one several years and the instructions that are there are vage. before I get to old I would like to build it. fusalage is a white gel coat and wings pre covered foam. thanks for your help and a very happy new year

WARBIRDRCER 12-29-2011 01:40 PM

Thanks for sharing your Spitfires with us. We now have our first ten (12) squadron members of the Spitfire Brotherhood.

1. Warbirdrcer
2. tfarmer96
3. KP
4. Helijet
5. Brad3301
6. MajorTomski
7. Daddysam
8. FireBee
9. denoferth
10. Landeck
11. jcpenney
12. jet22b
If you want a number please request one and I will add your information to the roster.

jet22b 12-29-2011 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PM Sent!
Here are a few pictures of my Spitfire!!
It a Hangar 9 Spitfire 60 ARF. Power by a Saito 1.00 Four Stroke.
Onboard glow system.
Keleo Creations, Inc exhaust system.
A sweet flying plane!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

funfly-RCU 12-29-2011 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im in, Here is my mick Reeves 1/4 scale.

flyingpiggy 12-29-2011 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. PM sent
I have a 73" Mk XVI From a set of moulds that I traded some time ago. The Fuz looks similar to the Mick Reeves mouldings. The wings & tail are built up from plans, the retracts are home made and the spinner + decals came from Mick Reeves Models. Power comes {un-reliably}from a YS 140L. When the engine runs well the power is just right I have also found that at 14lb the spit is also a resonable glider!!!
I plan to replace the YS with a Saito gasser.
On the wish list there is either a Ziroli Spit or an ESM 50cc Spit. I would like to see large models of the later Griffon engine Spitfires available in kit or ARTC form as these longer nose mks would make better models {wider LG spacing, heaps more fin/rudder & less ballast} How about a nice scale bubble canopy, Griffon spinner and a set of conversion drawings from the Ziroli team {hint hint}

glazier808 12-29-2011 05:48 PM

I guess you can count me in for number 15?

Fliteskin MkIX on the bench

Casey