RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   DeHavilland Mosquito 81 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10907536-dehavilland-mosquito-81-a.html)

PSJDBF 02-18-2012 07:55 PM

RE: DeHavilland Mosquito 81

Hi no Prob's, It was a year or so a go the last time I dealt with unitracks but after a couple of phone calls to verify measurements & what I wanted it would have been about four weeks before my struts turned up, which was faster than my seira gear !!.
The situation may have changed since then though.
Cheers Steff.

Duplicator41 02-18-2012 08:59 PM

Robart used to make retracts for the BT Mosquito. You might contact them to see if they still do so.

Cheers,

Duplicator41 02-18-2012 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ps. Here is a drawing of the Robart retracts for the Mossie.[img][/img]

splinterz25 02-18-2012 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Duplicator41

Ps. Here is a drawing of the Robart retracts for the Mossie.[img][/img]
Duplicator41 I just looked at there site and there discontinued, thanks for trying to help anyway!
<br type="_moz" />

Duplicator41 02-18-2012 09:41 PM

You might give them a call and convince them to make you a set.

Cheers,

splinterz25 02-18-2012 10:10 PM

Duplicator I think I have some one that has made these landing gear and it's in the USA so it won't cost so much to ship! now if I could just find some one in the USA that makes these glass parts and canopy for the 81" BT mosquito I would be realy getting some where. well I did do some more this evning but did not get as much done as I hoped I was running out of steam and that's when you make mistakes so I called quits for the night: I'll post pics after this post.

splinterz25 02-18-2012 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are the pics.

wulf190 02-19-2012 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: splinterz25

ORIGINAL: wulf190

It took a pretty good while to get my units, but I was totally not in a hurry, and I had no problem at all waiting, especially since I knew I would like the end result. This was probably like the 6th or 7th set of gear I've ordered, so I knew that the outcome would be as good as it always has, and it was. Lenny has done a set or two for the Lancaster as well, so he's pretty well up to speed on what is required for clearances and angles. It was helpful when I got mine. I figure that if my Mossy has a short life, then I already have a nice set of mains for a Ziroli P38 :D
Does Lenny include pneumatics pistons, valves,tank. lines etc with his price?
<br type=''_moz'' />

I've always just ordered the retracts themselves and have never asked about gear door pistons and air kit. I'm kind of picky about which valves and air tanks and lines I use, so I usually source those from other sources appropriate to the needs of the project...an air kit from Robart is a good start, but I would use a valve with a little higher volume of air allowed through it, like a Universal Precision valve. All that stuff is available from different places, so no big deal really.

Duplicator41 02-19-2012 09:45 AM

Splinterz, have you tried Traplett publications for the glass parts? I believe they still sell them.

Cheers,

Duplicator41 02-19-2012 09:47 AM

Splinterz. Have you tried Traplett for the glass parts? I believe they still sell them.

Cheers,

splinterz25 02-19-2012 10:20 AM

Splinterz. Have you tried Traplett for the glass parts? I believe they still sell them.

Cheers,
Yes they are the only ones that I have found so far, Again in the UK.
<br type="_moz" />

Duplicator41 02-19-2012 11:30 AM

The last I heard they had an office in the Illinois area 217-355-2970.

Cheers,

splinterz25 02-19-2012 11:37 AM

The last I heard they had an office in the Illinois area 217-355-2970.

Cheers,
OH very cool thanks a bunch Duplicator41 that should make it easer.
<br type="_moz" />

splinterz25 02-19-2012 07:06 PM

Alright I'm back I got a little bit done today add suport members in the top of the wing were the nacelle is I left one of them out because the carbon fiber tube runs through very close to that spot then I sheeted the top of the wing and added the radiator scoop top half. well then I removed the wing from the board so I could see what I will have to do to fasten it to the FUSE, what I think will happen is I'll make the second wing half and get both of them in the FUSE at the same time so I can make a good plan. What I have in mind is to use the dihedral brace like a wedge so as you slid the wing on it will lock in then run bolts through. Now I just have to make it work there looks to be enough space to do this and sitl use the bolts that Brian has in the plan. so the day was spent mostly thinking on this next move, but I did get some done the pics will be on the next post.

splinterz25 02-19-2012 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

straitnickel 02-19-2012 08:59 PM

Just watched the video, that was cool

splinterz25 02-19-2012 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

Just watched the video, that was cool

What video are you talking about straitnickel? Hey I see that you belong to the SW flyer club Balt. I want to join that club who is the best person to speak to about joining?

splinterz25 02-20-2012 03:47 PM

Back again today I didn't work on this bir so much I had just receved graphics for my Stinson Reliant SR-9 so I was applying those most of the day. But I did get the wing to fit into the FUSE so I could start to think just how to and what materials to make the conneting brackets out of I will still need to cut two slots in the FUSE where the LE of the wing wich will have the bracket on it can slide into the FUSE. the other thing I will have to make is a paded spot on the LE of the radiator scoop so it will blend w/ the fuse. I'm think of some kind of alum. L bracket for both forward &amp; aft to make the mounting brackets out of. pics will be on next post.

splinterz25 02-20-2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here they are I will glass the top of the FUSE because of the wear and the wing

splinterz25 02-26-2012 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry I've been away so long I have been putting the final touches on my Stinson Reliant SR-9 it has been over a year long project and I'm trying to get it finished so I 'm posting some photos of this bird.

glazier808 02-26-2012 11:50 AM

Nice Stinson! Love the dash.

Casey

splinterz25 02-26-2012 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Nice Stinson! Love the dash.

Casey
Thanks Casey I know It's a war bird thread but I couldn't resist posting some photos of my baby.
<br type="_moz" />

splinterz25 03-02-2012 01:15 PM

Alright I'm back haven't been feeling well and can't focus on the build when I'm like that, but this morning I started to lay out the the secon half of the wing. I was smart and made all of the pieces that I will need for the seond side when doing the first, so I lined up and pinned down all of the ribs and spars. The one thing that I didn't do was cut the holes for carbon fiber tube In case I had to make a adjustment, but I did mark where they should go. Well at rib three I had to make the hole larger (you will see it in the pics) but this will just get another ring of balsa around the shaft and be glued to the rib. The shafts by the way are 5/16" arrows there cheaper and you can get them at any outdoor store that sells hunting supplies, so after making the adjustment I was back on target w/ my marks. I have about three more ribs to do befor this part is finished but I 'm taking a break and then I'll get back to it, I'll post some photos after this one.

splinterz25 03-02-2012 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys it's not letting me upload all of the photos.

splinterz25 03-03-2012 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok finaly got them up.