RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11116763-why-not-transport-your-fully-assembled-aircraft-field.html)

ESSAR 06-14-2012 10:19 AM

RE: Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

Nice technique roger!</p>

ForcesR 06-14-2012 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: ESSAR

Nice technique roger!</p>
Andrew, looks as if I have opened a Hornets nest with this posthttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif
I didn't realize how many Aerospaceengineering experts visited these siteshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Rogerhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/punching.gif

eddieC 06-14-2012 10:47 AM

I didn't realize how many Aerospace engineering experts visited these siteshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif 
Also many with plain ol' common sense...  :)

Charlie P. 06-14-2012 11:30 AM

Or 50 years of doing dumb things and learning from Hardknox Eastern Anglican University's School of Logistics and Applied Physics. (HEAD-SLAP)  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...apSmiley-2.gif

I got my first sailboat cheap because the prior owner tied it to a roof rack almost well enough to keep it from going airborne.  Learned to sail right after learning a lot about polyester resin and fiberglass cloth.

Have you ever ridden at 60 mph in the back of a pickup truck?  The worst of it is the bouncing and the backwash from the blow-down draft coming over the cab roof.  You sit behind the cab facing rearward and catch dust and whatever is loose in the bed up into your face.</p>

hsukaria 06-14-2012 11:50 AM

Besides all the turbulence, you get dirt, bugs, and sometimes pebbles flying around that would hit your nice plane and ruin the finish. Besides, what if it starts raining all of a sudden?

hsukaria 06-14-2012 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

I also built a trailer for hauling my planes to the field. Final cost (including $109.00 for a permanent license) was just under $800.00

The trailer frame was built from 2'' square tubing, and has a final dimension of 4'x8'. It is 43'' tall inside.

I've been thinking about doing an article on the trailer - anyone interested? I took pictures as I built it...
Yes, I would be very interested in a trailer build thread. Thanks.

DESERT RATT 06-14-2012 12:14 PM

Wow,

Just how dam LAZY have people really gotten to be to not take the time to dismantle and reassemble it back together at the field... Simply friggin Amazing!!!

Exactly why I built a trailer.

My favorite plane is a Biplane I want to check everything out (Servo leads, battery placement, any loose things flying around etc.)[img][/img] The things that will cause a crash. Guess I'm just the kind of guy that wants to BE SURE, not taking the chance it may not be.

I really do wish you the best of luck, Besides being a very nice looking plane you've got a lot of time and money into it. Yes it's an honor and makes a guy feel Great when someone pulls up to you at a stop light or even pulls you over to admire your plane and ask questions about flying Radio Control. But is it really worth it.?

I don't have any pictures of them and not sure if I even have any left but there is a holder that I build out of 1/2" or 3/4" schedule 20 and or 40 PVC that holds the wing and Fuselage separately strapped to the holder and is strapped down to the bed (Tie downs) of the truck for transport

I did find this picture, sorry it's so small but you can get the idea. even with these there are two straps that go over the holder legs and tightened up for security.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...yintrailer.jpg

Best regards.
Ratt

eddieC 06-14-2012 12:38 PM

Yes it's an honor and makes a guy feel Great when someone pulls up to you at a stop light or even pulls you over to admire your plane
Someone who needs the attention could get a trailer and have plane pics and a big 'PILOT!" splashed all over it. The hot chicks are sure to be impressed.  :)</p>

GerKonig 06-14-2012 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Yes it's an honor and makes a guy feel Great when someone pulls up to you at a stop light or even pulls you over to admire your plane
Someone who needs the attention could get a trailer and have plane pics and a big 'PILOT!'' splashed all over it. The hot chicks are sure to be impressed. :)</p>

It's a chick magnet!

Gerry

Iherling 06-14-2012 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have been transporting my planes in the back of my pickup and don't even tie them down. BUT I only go a couple of hundred feet to my field on my farm. Boy amI the luckiest guy in the world or what http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

wesaysoracing 06-14-2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
most of mine are taken to the field assembled , this is what i use

jpjamie 06-14-2012 06:13 PM

I'm waiting a few more years for a used Ford Transit.

BOLTMAN 06-14-2012 06:24 PM

I don't see a problem with carrying a model on top of the car the way Ticketec is with his FW, up there the model is is relatively clean air.

However the back of the pick up is a concern. The air there is very turbulent. I can only think of when I carry my dog in the back of my ute ( that's a pick up to you Americans ), his hair is blowing all over the place, not just straight back as it would if the air was clean.

When I was a kid of about 10 years, my Dad had a model of an Avro 504K, which is a double bay biplane, it had funtional bracing wires and was very time consuming & fiddley to assemble. He used to transport in on a small open box trailer with conections to the undercarriage to hold it in place. One day he thumped it in after a deadstick and busted the undercarriage off. So guess who had to sit in the trailer holding onto the model for the trip home! These days you would get shot for making your kid ride in a trailer for a 10 mile trip through Canberra ( Australia's capitol city ).

I just know with my luck if I tried any of these methods I would have a permanent rain cloud following me all the time!

chistech 06-14-2012 06:24 PM

I only have one 1/4 scale cub but the rest of my planes are all 50 size as I like the fact that I can put 4 or 5 in the back of my pickup (with cap) and not have to reassemble. I have fastened down my 1/4 cub on floats in the back of my pickup and gone down the highway but only at 50. I put two pieces of hardwood sandwiching both the fin and stab to keep the flight surfaces from moving. Don't do it often but have done it. What I think is funny is some of these guys with big planes and trailers that come to field, open the back of their trailer, sit in a chair, spend a few hours, close up their trailer, and go home. I think they are the lazy ones! I see more that 50% of them do this weekend after weekend. Maybe it's just to get away from the wife! I don't like putting together my planes at all. Time wasted as I go to fly, not talk, not to tell other people what they're doing wrong, or to talk about my disassembled plane in the trailer, but to fly. This is another reason I fly fuel planes. Flying electric planes constantly requires charging and I hate to wait for that.

msuviper68 06-14-2012 07:35 PM

Given the wings are not on the plane when I transport it. I carry my 27% Yak in the back of my truck every time I fly, and when I travel 7 hours back and forth from college to home. For some reason I always transport with the nose of the plane facing the back of my truck. I cant explain why I do that but I've never once had a problem, and when there is any chance of rain its wrapped up water tight in plastic. Even hauled 10'-16' wing span completely assemble planes to the flying field in the back. During those trips we had a convoy of cars leading and following though. I have used a trailer before and that would be my preferred method if always available to me.

ESSAR 06-15-2012 04:05 AM

Roger has been using this method for quite some time now with zero issues!
I don't know why this topic got people so fired up, Roger is just sharing a technique that has been working well for him. I believe if there was something wrong with this method of transportation He would know it by now.

Essar.

Mastertech 06-15-2012 04:50 AM

I'd think riding in the back of a pickup would pose far less danger to the airplane than at the field and the pilot flying it.

Just sayin'...................

Tim

3136 06-15-2012 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

I KINDA LIKE THE SQUIRREL IDEA MYSELF. :)
Yeah they could start their own thread and call it "The official squirrel transport squadron brotherhood"
They could even get their own T shirts madehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

da Rock 06-15-2012 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I'd think riding in the back of a pickup would pose far less danger to the airplane than at the field and the pilot flying it.

Tim

Well, flying it certainly has it's risks, right? So why expose a model to even a less similar risk level when you're not flying it.

Riding in the turbulence of a pickup, tied down and rigidly held really doesn't compare to what a model feels while un-fettered in the air. The forces on the model in the air move the plane around for sure, but the plane simply moves around in response. G-forces come and go, but not like road shocks, and air turbulence encountered while flying isn't like encountered while strapped down in the bed of a truck.

The differences are not great, but they do exist. If a truck is the only way to transport, then LET'S GO FLY !!! But if there is another way...... LET'S GO FLY for sure.

The plane in the picture didn't fly that day. I don't remember why. Something about the servos.

tomfiorentino 06-15-2012 05:21 AM

I don't get it? How do you guys get the vehicle to separate from the airplane when you go inverted?

Tom

glazier808 06-15-2012 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: 3136

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

I KINDA LIKE THE SQUIRREL IDEA MYSELF. :)
Yeah they could start their own thread and call it ''The official squirrel transport squadron brotherhood''
They could even get their own T shirts made[img][/img]
I can see your being all girly again...If your sour your not in the Spitfire Brotherhood, stop fly'n your miss america arf mustang (that your knocking others for having) and go buy a foamy spit....you can be the towel boy.
squirrels are okay..... you I'm not sure about
Casey

glazier808 06-15-2012 05:58 AM

dbl post

Check6 06-15-2012 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Tim

Well, flying it certainly has it's risks, right? So why expose a model to even a less similar risk level when you're not flying it.

Riding in the turbulence of a pickup, tied down and rigidly held really doesn't compare to what a model feels while un-fettered in the air. The forces on the model in the air move the plane around for sure, but the plane simply moves around in response. G-forces come and go, but not like road shocks, and air turbulence encountered while flying isn't like encountered while strapped down in the bed of a truck.

The differences are not great, but they do exist. If a truck is the only way to transport, then LET'S GO FLY !!! But if there is another way...... LET'S GO FLY for sure.

The plane in the picture didn't fly that day. I don't remember why. Something about the servos.
Hope the pilot flies his plane better than his driving skills. Something about crossing over the double yellow lines into oncoming traffic can really ruin your day!!

smperry 06-15-2012 06:45 AM

Drive slow and take the back roads to the field.

Get some cheap wooden yard sticks and cut them about 8 or 10 " longer than the chord of the wing at the ailerons. Use #64 rubber bands on the ends to attach a pair over and under each aileron. That will prevent turbulence from flapping the surfaces and damaging your servos.

sp

ESSAR 06-15-2012 07:36 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">"Before I actually transported the Mustang, I took into consideration the things that may be unsafe, fail and potentially cause an accident. I work at an Aerospace consulting firm and I have friends in the engineering department who were asked to look at my cradle design and point out any flaws with the design and what could be done to improve the cradle. They made a few suggestions for improvement and those improvements were incorporated. They were satisfied with the changes and were confident that I could transport the Mustang in the cradle without having a wing failure and causing a potential accident."</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

I guess the above mentioned aerospace engineers have no idea what they are talking about then eh??</p>

</p>