RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11117314-top-flite-focke-wulf-fw-190-d9-build.html)

mike day 06-25-2012 06:25 PM

RE: Top Flite Focke Wulf Fw-190 D9 Build

do you still have the cockpit kit to. mike?

Nordicz 06-27-2012 06:45 PM

Hey Spit,

I see you got the parts I sent your way. As you stated they are a good fit for the build. Keep the progress coming. I didn't get to install the cowl before by loss but that is 10X better than the factory one. Good luck and keep posting.

Z

Spitfire222 06-28-2012 09:49 AM

Thanks again Marty!

Progress has been ongoing but slow; not enough to show photos really. I only get a little bit of time each evening to work on the Fw. I've been working on the lower fuse sheeting (which is a pain to get it to curve properly! Lots of filler in my future....), and also doing some work on the turtle-deck/canopy. I received the 0.5 oz/yd^2 fiberglass cloth I ordered from Thayercraft, and tried my hand at glassing the turtle-deck. It turned out great so far! Very easy to work with, and very lightweight. Might try the elevators next...

Hopefully, I should have enough progress to post some more photos this weekend. :)

Nordicz 06-28-2012 03:51 PM

I don't have a huge amount of builds under me but I am currently working on a Giant Scale P-47 and glassed for t he first time. I found I like the process much better than Monocote. I can't cover worth a darn. Anyways I will glass every time now that I have been through the process. Only drawback is finding a place to paint that doesn't smoke the wife and kid out.

Z

vertical grimmace 06-28-2012 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

Thanks again Marty!

Progress has been ongoing but slow; not enough to show photos really. I only get a little bit of time each evening to work on the Fw. I've been working on the lower fuse sheeting (which is a pain to get it to curve properly! Lots of filler in my future....), and also doing some work on the turtle-deck/canopy. I received the 0.5 oz/yd^2 fiberglass cloth I ordered from Thayercraft, and tried my hand at glassing the turtle-deck. It turned out great so far! Very easy to work with, and very lightweight. Might try the elevators next...

Hopefully, I should have enough progress to post some more photos this weekend. :)

On bending the wood, try wetting one side only with alcohol. It will bend one way as it has been thrown out of balanced and softened. This works great.

Not sure if you have decided on a radio yet, I have experience with both Futaba and Hitech 2.4 now. I bought an Aurora last summer and have all of my planes on it now. I have to sa that the Futaba is much easier to bind. I also do not like having to tell the transmitter to transmit everytime I turn it on. I am still up in the air as to which I want long term. I think I personally have more faith in the Futaba, even though I lost my triplane to it last year, for complete unknown reasons. It just unbound. I have not had any serious problems with my Hitech as of yet though for the record.

Nordicz 06-28-2012 06:29 PM

Spit and Vertical,

First off Vertical is right on gettng the balsa to shape. I have used a spray bottle with water also. It depends on how severe the curve is. Vertical. I sort of like the fact I have to select transmit with the Aurora 9 simply because it gives me a second chance to verify which plane I am flying. Just my preference. I am a electronics and communications tech by trade and feel that the big three, JR, Futaba and Hitech all have there advantages and weak points. I used to use Futaba but when I lost the Top Flight D9 to unknow reasons - suspected BROWN OUT. I switched to Hitech because I liked what they were doing for their programing, updating and telemetry initiatives. Just a preference for me but I still think any one of the big three you cannot go wrong.

Z

Javier-RCU 07-22-2012 01:58 PM

Some update? BTW if someone is looking for top flite scale parts, IMP uses to sell 1/6 scale D9 kit. The FG parts looks too scale and have a pretty good fit on the Top Flite kit.

I bought the cowl, gun hood, canopy and even a cockpit kit. Some blisters and extra details are included in the package.

Take a look at http://www.impscale.com/html/fw_190_d9_.html

Javier

bigtim 07-23-2012 12:11 AM

got any pics of the IMP parts I have some fiberglass specialties parts for about half the cost of the IMP stuff http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

gree 10-27-2012 12:56 AM

Hey great to see you building this plane. It may be next on my building board too (or my Holman D9 I haven't decided yet), so I'll be following along closely.

paladin 10-28-2012 01:19 PM

My son has been very happy with the handling of his Kyosho Tank, to the point he wants to build another. I have one of these kits, TF fw190, in inventory and we would use it as a template to make two. I saw that fiberglass specialties (FS) has a stock and improved cowl and gun cover. The stock are pretty Mattel-ish, anyone have any pictures of the improved from FS. I recall the IMP was slightly larger, do i remember correctly? how does the imp canopy fit?

I need two of each, alot of $$$ to toss if they r not what we want.

Joe

Chad Veich 10-28-2012 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: paladin
...how does the imp canopy fit?

I know it's been a loooong time coming but I will (hopefully) be offering a canopy for the TF 190D kit. It's a direct copy of the kit canopy except that the framing will not be quite as prominent as the original. I worked on the plug yesterday and will be pulling some test parts this coming week if all goes as planned. Assuming I can get a satisfactory result I will be offering them for sale for anyone interested.

bigtim 10-28-2012 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: paladin

My son has been very happy with the handling of his Kyosho Tank, to the point he wants to build another. I have one of these kits, TF fw190, in inventory and we would use it as a template to make two. I saw that fiberglass specialties (FS) has a stock and improved cowl and gun cover. The stock are pretty Mattel-ish, anyone have any pictures of the improved from FS. I recall the IMP was slightly larger, do i remember correctly? how does the imp canopy fit?

I need two of each, alot of $$$ to toss if they r not what we want.

Joe
here is a pic of the gun hood and the top of the cowl,my cowl is the one with the flaps open, fiberglass specialties makes a open and closed flap version, a major improvement over the ABS plastic parts offered in the kit

paladin 10-29-2012 10:26 AM

Thanks guys,

Chad the canopy sounds good, keep us informed.

Bigtim, the gun hood looks good! the front armor on the cowl looks much better than stock, but i cant tell if they corrected the AT-6 cowl look of the sides.

Joe

bigtim 10-29-2012 02:22 PM

Joe I will snap a pic of the side of the cowl for you, hope all is well with the big storm heading your way BT

vertical grimmace 10-29-2012 03:38 PM

Those two items look identical to the parts for the Pica 190D. I think it looks pretty good actually. I have the fiberglass cowl from FS on my 190 D.

mike day 03-18-2013 11:19 AM

were did you get the spinner?

paladin 03-18-2013 11:47 AM

here mike:

http://www.skysharkrc.com/item/FW190...e-Spinners-101

Quikturn 11-23-2021 10:06 AM

Plans???

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if someone has a set of original new or used rolled plans they would be willing to sell?

thanks I’m advance.

Joe

bigtim 11-24-2021 04:35 PM

top flite was acquired by Horizon hobby you may be able to get a digital copy or even actual plans from them, they still sell some of the TF ARF's for how long who knows at the prices these sell for now its a wonder why they don't do some limited production runs.

Quikturn 11-24-2021 06:26 PM

Thanks bigtim, I’ll give them a try but not holding out much hope. I bought the kit at my LHS on consignment and the store owner said he tried ordering the plans but had no luck. It’s such a neat kit I bought it anyways. I was hoping someone here that already built the kit may still have the plans to sell.

ww2collector 12-28-2021 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigtim (Post 12704091)
top flite was acquired by Horizon hobby you may be able to get a digital copy or even actual plans from them, they still sell some of the TF ARF's for how long who knows at the prices these sell for now its a wonder why they don't do some limited production runs.

Although Horizon bought the rights to the kits they did not purchase any of the tooling to manufacture the kits. The speculation by hobbyists at the time was that perhaps there would be future interest in kit production with manufacturing in China. We aren't holding our breath that they will ever reproduce the kits and all indications are that Top Flite is being phased out of existence by Horizon.

Quikturn 12-28-2021 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ww2collector (Post 12708868)
Although Horizon bought the rights to the kits they did not purchase any of the tooling to manufacture the kits. The speculation by hobbyists at the time was that perhaps there would be future interest in kit production with manufacturing in China. We aren't holding our breath that they will ever reproduce the kits and all indications are that Top Flite is being phased out of existence by Horizon.

That would really be a shame. I’m guessing the thought is there’s no money to be made in selling TF kits as there are fewer builders these days.

As an update, I did find a set of plans for the Dora. I also found and purchased the cockpit kit as well so now I’m all set.

ton2di 11-23-2022 09:08 AM

Hello guys. Recently got this beautiful, preserved TF FW 190D. I have a few P51’s, Corsair’s, etc, but not this one. Does it fly well?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9d769fef1.jpeg

Quikturn 11-23-2022 06:56 PM

That’s a nice find. From what I heard and seen, they fly nice. Do you have flaps & retracts? What will you use for power?

ton2di 11-23-2022 07:14 PM

Thanks. Yea. It has flaps and air retracts now. Currently has an OS91FX. Will fly it first then maybe change into a 4 stroke.