RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11137589-top-flite-1-5th-f4u-corsair-arf-group-build-modification-thread.html)

Warbird Man 06-30-2012 07:13 AM

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Well I broke down and finally got one so I decided to start a separate build thread on this.
I"m not usually into ARfs but I've had the kit and all the parts and accessories sitting on the shelf for along time now. (to many projects/not enough time)
So I decided to give it a shot as it would probably take me atleast two years to build the kit version and another two before I get to it.

My plan is to build the ARF right out of the box with only a few slight modifications. I realize there are a few "scale" discrepancies to it but I don't plan on entering it in scale competition either. Just going to make it look nice and have fun flying it.

I know some have already put this one together so feel free to post your thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

For those just getting theirs in, feel free to join in.

Warbird Man 06-30-2012 07:17 AM

RE: Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

1 Attachment(s)
Well here it is in one big @$$ box!
Currently going through it all inspecting all the parts. So far everything looks great. The model is well packed.

Warbird Man 06-30-2012 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to jump ahead abit and get an engine mounted first. Using a G-62 in this one. With a thinner carb block and inverted wraparound pitts muffler, the only thing sticking out will be some of the plug boot.

willey 07-01-2012 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wow!....Warbird Man, if I were to have started this thread it would have sounded pretty much like the same song... seems like the older I get the less time there is to build. So....... (LOL!) so far...sounds like there are two kits available for sale.:D

Really looking forward to your progress, A buddy of mine and I picked up my BIG box yesterday, man... it is nice! I have everything except the servos, I'll order those soon, plenty to do before they arrive.

For me... I also have built many kits and about haft dozen arf's... As for my quick overview on this arf, First- "the cash" maaan...I have never dropped that kind of $$$ on an ARF, never thought I would, but after seeing it & knowing what it takes to build to the level of this arf, plus what you get with it it's worth every penny! This arf has a ton of potential. First thoughts were to strip it and glass it and do what I had planned for the kit.... buuuuuut I really want to fly it, so......

The Plan... Going Korean War...only 2 mods are going to happen, first I am replacing/adding a scale tail wheel retract I picked up here on RCU a while back, then its headin to the paint booth, other then that it will be built as per plans or say... book in this case.:D

I'm a slow builder with work n' all but I'll post pics along with Warbird Man, Talk to you all later.

willey

Warbird Man 07-01-2012 07:05 AM

I hear ya. I had to think about it for awhile before I decided to order one. But when you consider the time it would take to build the plane VS being able to have it in the air in a matter of a few weeks, I guess it's not so bad. The $ 85.00 shipping charge is ridiculous. If you have your local hobby store order one you can usually avoid that.

Also don't forget, as of right now until the end of August, there is a Top-Flite $30.00 arf rebate. Check Top-Flites web site for rebate form.

That tail wheel retract looks sweet!! Who's making those??

One thing I noticed right off with this arf is that the tail wheel/retract mount is not in the scale location along with the tail retract doors which are not even close. I might have to do something about that.

bob8619 07-01-2012 08:09 AM

Do you know if this is the same as the .60 size arf? Build wise that is, I know its bigger and requires different engine and all that jazz funk.

Warbird Man 07-01-2012 08:37 AM

Can't say as I haven't built that one. I'm sure it probably close. There is a build thread floating around here on that one. Search: I saw it TF .60 size Corsair arf.

willey 07-04-2012 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well I have received my dle 55, threw on the bisson muffler, just by eye balling it, seams that it might not fit in cowl without modding the muffler, the angle brings it to low for one, two the corners would need to be cut and a plate be welded, if the angle brought it up higher that would be the only fix needed I believe. I know they recommend the jtec, but I thought/hoped that the bisson just might fit, I have a few bisson"s and they are a nice muffler.

has anybody else used the bisson yet? or are you all using the jetec?

thanks guy's

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZNR5[/link]

willey 07-04-2012 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
also wanted to share, threw the tail section on quick and taped up the retract just to get a look at whats to come.[X(].... lot of work! LOL!!

Warbird Man 07-04-2012 06:25 AM

I had the same problem with a Slimline. It's too big and wide to fit in cowl. So I ordered a TF P-51 from Jtec.

willey 07-04-2012 06:28 AM

when you get it let me know how it fits, thanks

Warbird Man 07-04-2012 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's atleast 2 weeks out yet as they build to order. But here is a pic of the Jtec TF P-51 muffler I have for a G-45. I assume they are the same with the exception of the exhaust port angle on the G-45. I still need to shim out the engine from the fire wall some.

Where did you find that awesome tail retract? Did you custom make that?

willey 07-04-2012 06:56 AM

Found it on RCU a while ago, i will have to do some digging later and let you know

spitfire66 07-04-2012 07:23 AM

I orginally bought the tailwheel that Willey has from a guy that was building them in the Top Flite Giant Kit build forum. DaddySam is who I got the tailwheel from, (Sam Sorem) and he did an amazing job. At the time he built quite a few by request, and I am not sure if he will anymore. I bet he will have people requesting them like crazy now that the arf is out. I really wish I would have kept my hands on that retract, but wasn't sure if/when Top Flite would ever come up with the ARF. I eventually got my hands on p-51 retracts and switched planes. I am really happy to see that Willey got the arf and the tailwheel on so quickly. It looks fantastic! Keep up the good work. We are all watching!

booker-RCU 07-04-2012 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I did with the tail wheel. I converted it to electric and extended the the wheel so it goes down further. It raises the tail about an inch from what TF has it. I also adjusted it so when retracted the wheel shows just below the gear doors.
I received the electric mains from Tower. They are really nice - except one doesn't work. But I'm sure they'll make it right.
Galen

spitfire66 07-04-2012 12:23 PM

I cant believe how affordable robart made the electric retracts. only 80 extra for the mains and 35 for the tail over the air operated system is quite a deal. I hope the same holds true for the mustang 622 gear. I'm really starting to think I should have held out for the corsair, but there is enough room in the garage for both!

Warbird Man 07-04-2012 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny, I was working on the same tail retract modification to help remedy the stock squaty setup.

This is for those of us who don't have the fancy scale gear set up:D:D:D

This can be done with the existing parts from the arf and some 5/32 music wire. If you been in this hobby awhile, you probably got a box with some old landing gear or cabane wire.

First I took the fixed ARF tail gear and drilled out the shaft hole to 5/32. Then I dissmantled the unit to remove the spacer shaft and filed the ends flush.
I cut a new piece of 5/32 wire (about 2-3/4) and removed the one in the retract unit and reassembled with the new parts. I used the arf tail wheel and in the stock mounting location, it just fits.

A little shimming might be required to get the tail wheel shaft straight up and down when at rest. (or some where close to that) On full scale Corsairs, the tail wheel does stick out abit and the doors close around it.

I'll probably move the unit back farther to a more scale position and make a new set of doors. (well, maybe);)

alb1661 07-07-2012 03:35 PM

Warbird Man

That's a great mod. Thanks for sharing

Warbird Man 07-08-2012 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your welcome.

I forgot to mention that I also padded the stock mounts with 1/4" blocks to further push out the retract unit to gain alittle more height. That's about all your gonna get out of the stock robart unit. There isn't enough angle in the "A" arms for the post mount in order to lenghthen it more. The post will start to be sweeped forward instead of back or straight up and down and also without too much interference with the stock gear doors.

Warbird Man 07-14-2012 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things I've been working on was a bit of rudder modification. The shape of the top on my particular plane just looked wrong. So I removed the covering and added a bit of balsa and re-shaped rudder top to a more scale apperance. Since I had the covering off, I drilled out some lightening holes and recovered with solartex.

Also the spacer between the horizontal stab. and rudder doesn't look right at all as it's about a 1/2" too tall. Sorta looks like a cross between a regular F4U-1 and a F2G. I was going to modify that as well but decided it's not worth it. After all, it is an arf.

handyman 220 07-17-2012 03:47 PM

Glad I found this thread. I' like the mod for the tail wheel, the stock Robart sits too low!

RICK9303 07-18-2012 01:07 AM

Great job on the mods so far. I saw the tail wheel in the ad being low. I'm picking mine up tonight from hobby shop. I have a old Byron Corsair that I'm restoring. It needs some work on the wings. I have striped the paint from the glass fuse and covering from all control surfaces. It is basiclly the same size as the TF arf. I got the TF arf so I can get one in the air right away, as my build time is reduced during summer. I plan on using Robart electrics in mine.

Rick

Warbird Man 07-30-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got my Jtec muffler today. For those interested in using a G-62, The fit is pretty good. Also using a cup and vibra-loc mounts.

Helijet 07-30-2012 08:02 PM

Glad I found this thread. I have just received my TF 1/5 ARF F4U. Got the servos and the DLE 55. I spoke with the owner at JTEC and discovered that the part number did not match with what Top Flight recommended. JTec has a different number with a cost of arond $ 89.

I start construction tomorrow!

Dean W.

booker-RCU 07-31-2012 12:58 PM

Hey Dean!! Long time no see!! I'm also doing the Corsair ARF and I'm still contemplating the engine and whether to have gear doors or not. I have the electric retracts and a 5 inch wheel. The wheel fits but doesn't leave much room for actuators. I really would like to stay with a simple mechanical door but can't seem to make anything work. I've found several good suggestions on other threads but because of the wheel size I run into problems. I am going to stay with the 5” wheels so I may end up not using the doors. Are you going to install wheel well doors? If so what are you going to do to open and close them?

You do excellent work - please keep us well posted on how you put together this Corsair.

Galen