RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   9th Annual Warbirds Over The Rockies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11160424-9th-annual-warbirds-over-rockies.html)

Bird of Paradise 07-18-2012 03:43 PM

9th Annual Warbirds Over The Rockies

1 Attachment(s)
9th Annual Warbirds Over The Rockies
September 28-30, 2012

Scramble, Sramble, Scramble!!!

Love Air RC is excited to announce that it will again be hosting Warbirds Over The Rockies, one of the nation's best warbirds events. More 125 pilots and many, many great aircraft are expected at Drake Field east of Ft Collins CO. In case you are a first time flyer at this event, the runway is 800 ft. x 70 ft wide and there are no obstructions.

Last year the event raised $13,000 for the Colorado chapter of Mental Health America. Proceeds will again be donated to this worthy cause.

This event is designed especially for the warbird pilot. The landing fee of $50.00 includes $7.00 in “Warbird Bucks” that can be used for purchases at the Cool Stuff Store. Please note that the onsite fee is $60.

All aircraft must have been used in the military and be in military paint schemes. Aircraft of any scale, including arfs, are welcome. This means lots of open flying without interference from flying lawn mowers or 3D planes.

The noon show will feature full scale fly-bys including a Mig, T-33 and more; the pyro show will be spectacular as always and there are openings for big bombers and fighters to participate. There will also be mass foamie warbirds launch. Oh by the way, did we mention the spectacular pyro show provided by Angel Light Pyrotechnics?!!!

Thousands of dollars of donated R/C merchandise will available a prizes or sold at auction during the Saturday night banquet.

Famous Dave’s BBQ will be the official food vendor for 2012 including an expanded menu.

The banquet on Saturday night will be held at the Lory Student Union, at Colorado State University. The sit down dinner features prime rib, salmon or a vegetarian option with all the fixings, soft drink and dessert. Cost is $40 per person. A no host bar will also be available. The banquet will be both entertaining and full of surprises. The guest speaker will be Col. Mac MaGee of the Tuskegee Airmen who flew a P-51 called Lil Kitten. He flew more combat missions over three wars than any other American pilot. He is 92 and a true American hero.

Banquet tickets are available on-line or by mail; a limited number of tickets will be available at the field. Please buy your tickets early as seating is limited.

For complete information for pilots and vendors please go to: [link]http://www.warbirdsovertherockies,com[/link] and the attached event flyer.

Questions? Call: Brian, 720-937-3944 or Mike, 970-420-1309
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Bird of Paradise 07-20-2012 09:50 AM

RE: 9th Annual Warbirds Over The Rockies

Anyone planning to attend beside the 10-12 folks who have apready registered?

mmorg1 07-20-2012 11:24 AM

My pops and I will be up from NM with tuskegee mustangs, a corsair, thunderbolt, and whatever we get done in the meantime.

lfierro1 07-20-2012 01:07 PM

retracted

Growler84 07-20-2012 02:07 PM

Team Vegas Warbirds will be there with 9 pilots and:

Moki-powered CARF Corsair
CARF Mustang
TF Giant P-40
TF-Giant P-47
TF-Giant P-51
TF-Giant F-4U-1
1/4 Scale Navion
1/3 Scale Fockker D7
ESM-Corsair
ESM-T-28
ASM-A-26
KMP-OV-10
BH-Corsair

mmorg1 07-23-2012 07:17 AM

You cant bring a Navion, I have been tinkering with a 105" Navion for a few years now. I was going to be the first!

Growler84 07-23-2012 10:42 AM

This weekend our Navion builder, Keith, was concerned about how much he still has to do to be ready in time. So there is a chance...

lmangum 07-29-2012 06:14 PM

I cant wait to be there P-51 just finshed</p>

RCKen 07-29-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-family: Arial; ">Hey guys,</span><div style="font-family: Arial; ">Brian has asked me to post this here in preparation for the event this year</div><div style="font-family: Arial; "></div><blockquote style="font-family: Arial; margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px; "><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Hey guys:</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Here is the letter that Mental Health and O'Meara Ford is sending out for sponsorship of WOTR and Mental Health. UMB Bank has committed $2500 for Mental Health and we are looking for other corporate sponsors. Last year we raised $13,000 for Mental Health.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Lots is happening for the event on my end. Mike H sent out a letter to our 700 favorite friends a few days ago and pre-registrations are now coming in.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">I am meeting with General Mike Edwards next week as he is very involved with Mental Health and our veterans. He may get us a F-16 flyover. I will know more next week. General Edwards is the Adjutant General for the 5000 members of the Colorado Army and Air National Guard and serves on the Governor's cabinet. He will be able to reach all of the veterans in Colorado and invite them to the event.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Bob Violett has decided to become a Platinum Sponsor of the event this year. Dustin Bucher will be attending and representing BVM. He won the Pro class at Top Gun this last April. Frank Tiano, along with ZAP will be sending the glue kits for all pilots the second week of september. Horizon Hobbies and JR radios are also a Platinum Sponsor and will have a huge vendor tent. Peter Goldsmith, the JR team manager will be attending. KMP is the other Platinum sponsor. Of course, Aeroworks has been a Platinum sponsor for all nine years. Model Airplane News also is a Platinum Sponsor.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Stan Alexander will be attending from the AMA and will write an article for Model Aviation. We should have ads in Model Airplane News.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Although we are not a competition, we will have 22 hand made trophies at a cost of about $3000. Each is a "one of a kind."</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Col. Mac McGee is now fully committed to attend the event as our speaker at the banquet. He was a Tuskegee Airman and flew more combat missions than any other American pilot during WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. He lives in Arlington Va. He flew a P-51 C "KITTEN" during WWII. He is 92 and still full of energy.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Mental Health would like a reception for him in Denver on<span class="Object" id="OBJ_PREFIX_DWT1897_com_zimbra_date" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 139); cursor: pointer; ">Thursday</span>night for local news and dignitaries. I am trying to get the Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum to host it.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">JP Thibodeau has submitted our application to the FAA for the full size flyover waiver. He is also arranging for the pilots personal application to the FAA for the waiver. It is a 108 paige document as we are considered a full size airshow.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Mike Harrington has the application submitted to the county for the "Assemblage Permit" and also the "Emergency Management Plan". This covers emergency situations such as fire, heart attack, snake bite, crash planes, cut off fingers etc. We will have both fire and emergency medical staff on site.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">With full size flyovers, licensed pyro show, speakers such as Col McGee and Bud Anderson and the prime rib banquet, our event has become so much more than the standard warbird event.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Our CD, Mike Harrington is in the hospital in Houston undergoing Chemo for leukemia, I thought it wise to keep everybody updated.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Our thoughts and prayers are still with Mike for his speedy recovery.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; "></div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Below is some information I received<span class="Object" id="OBJ_PREFIX_DWT1898_com_zimbra_date" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 139); cursor: pointer; ">today</span>from Laura Cordes at Mental Health.</div></div><div><div style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Also check out the attached letter.</div></div></blockquote><span style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; ">Brian</span>

Slope Pilot 07-30-2012 12:41 PM

I will be spectating this year, it will be my 3rd year going.

tfarmer96 08-03-2012 08:54 PM

I am so ready to head that way and get out of the Texas heat!

Bird of Paradise 08-04-2012 03:07 AM

Terry - me too, we've been Houston for 3 wks where is been very hot and humid. I don't know how y-all tolerate it!! Mike

TSHARK203 08-09-2012 08:21 PM

I cant wait to get there to get out of the Alabama heat. I hope I can get another bird up there with me on Delta if they dont want to kill me on the shipping.

George

quist 08-17-2012 09:58 AM

What is the field layout like? Anyone have an overhead shot of the field during the event? Will I end up in the back 40 if I bring my own easy up tent and dont rent a tent?

tfarmer96 08-17-2012 10:11 AM

They line the runway with pop ups and its a long runway. I went for a few years without renting a tent and it wasnt a problem however i would recomend getting sooner than latter.

RCKen 08-17-2012 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: quist

What is the field layout like? Anyone have an overhead shot of the field during the event? Will I end up in the back 40 if I bring my own easy up tent and dont rent a tent?
Here is an overhead shot of what the grounds are layed out.

The entrance to the grounds is at the top of the picture. Then you can drive down pit row to unload your planes. They have tents you can rent, or you can bring your own as well.

Ken
<br type="_moz" />

quist 08-17-2012 11:11 AM

Thanks Ken. That answered my question.

MarvinLoomis 08-22-2012 05:36 PM

Anybody got an address for Drake Field?? Trying to plug this into my Garman and figure out my route. Any help would be appreciiated.

tfarmer96 08-22-2012 05:50 PM

here are the gps n40 34.531'w104 49.081

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...t=h&mra=ls&z=7

i head north at limon because i dont like going up 25. Above is a googel map from Salina KS

Live Wire 08-22-2012 06:35 PM

4 1/2 miles west of Ault on Hi 14.

RCKen 08-22-2012 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

i head north at limon because i dont like going up 25. Above is a googel map from Salina KS
Terry,
I'm just the opposite. I hate that drive across Kansas. But that comes from when I was a kid and we travelled across Kansas every summer for vacation in a car with no air conditioning which always made for a hot miserable trip!!!

Ken
<br type="_moz" />

tfarmer96 08-22-2012 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Terry,
I'm just the opposite. I hate that drive across Kansas. But that comes from when I was a kid and we travelled across Kansas every summer for vacation in a car with no air conditioning which always made for a hot miserable trip!!!

Ken
<br type=''_moz'' />
dont forget about hitting every bug in the world on the way

Live Wire 08-22-2012 07:05 PM

Terry
Put Ault in you little machine and you miss all the heavy traffic.
Larry K

tfarmer96 08-22-2012 07:13 PM

yes i agree. i take the hard right at Limon for that reason

RCKen 08-23-2012 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Terry,

Ken

Oh yeah, you got that right. And the things we had to do to entertain ourselves. That was back before the days of having a smart phone with internet, a DVD player in the back of the seat, or an X-Box to play games on to stay entertained. Back them we had to do things like counting oil wells on my side of the road, or counting cattle, or counting license plates. Or the best game was tormenting my little sister. But that game always ended the same way, with my dad mad at me and yelling those famous words that have come out of every father's mouth down through history, "Don't make me stop this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

Now I'm sure nobody else here has ever had that happen to them have they??? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/rolleyes.gif;) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif<br type="" />
dont forget about hitting every bug in the world on the way