RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TROY BUILT MODELS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11184725-troy-built-models.html)

midastouch_73 08-07-2012 02:19 PM

TROY BUILT MODELS

Is it just me or does it seem as if TMB charges astronomical rates for shipping. I recently purchased ESM 74 Corsair. The shipping came to around $70 or $80. I purchased a ESM Sea Fury 2 weeks ago and the charge to ship it was $150. When I asked why the shipping rate was so high I was told becuase it's a large plane and the box is large. When the box came it was the same damn size as the corsair. I'm furious at this point. To make matters worse I needed to replace the center section of my ESM Hawker Typhoon. The section cost $70. They want $61 to ship it!!! That's totally ridiculous. They told me USPS was not any cheaper? I'm cakking BS on this one.....

show871 08-07-2012 06:27 PM

RE: TROY BUILT MODELS

How about just dont buy from them. Arf pros is super honest and has awesome service on the esm line

Whistling Death 08-07-2012 06:29 PM

No it's not just you but the shipping companies are sticking it in and breaking it off. Fuel prices have brought an end of the golden days of shipping.
I can remember getting giant scale planes shipped back in 2007-2008 for $20.00-$30.00.

Mpizpilot 08-07-2012 08:13 PM

Shipping for the TF giant warhawk is $85

Chris Nicastro 08-07-2012 10:00 PM

My TF GS Corsair ARF came on a pallet and cost me $90 to ship. A pallet? Really? It weighed 5lbs more than the kit itself!! Thats the over size charge from Tower. Thats the first time Ive ever seen that.

midastouch_73 08-07-2012 10:21 PM

You would think they would offer free shipping or discounted rates. They would sell way more airplanes and parts. That's why horizon and tower are so large....

predman 08-07-2012 10:34 PM

Well i wouldnt complain about getting a plane shipped on a pallet, but troybuilt is ridiculous! I ordered their ESM p-40 cockpit, i wanted them to send it priority mail they said it would cost $38, yea right! I ship stuff priority larger and heavier and its nowhere near that! They are just jacking up the shipping price to put more money in thier pockets. Also my cockpit had a few pieces broken off and it had dust on it and smelled like smoke. So obviously it was a display or one they had open sitting somewhere. Sad pay for something new and they send me a opened display one.

oriole 08-08-2012 06:23 AM

Let's just call it what it is... additional profit for the TBM.

Oriole

F4u5 08-08-2012 07:56 AM

Can you say shipping AND HANDLING.....the handling is where they make the money

Mpizpilot 08-08-2012 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: predman

Well i wouldnt complain about getting a plane shipped on a pallet, but troybuilt is ridiculous! I ordered their ESM p-40 cockpit, i wanted them to send it priority mail they said it would cost $38, yea right! I ship stuff priority larger and heavier and its nowhere near that! They are just jacking up the shipping price to put more money in thier pockets. Also my cockpit had a few pieces broken off and it had dust on it and smelled like smoke. So obviously it was a display or one they had open sitting somewhere. Sad pay for something new and they send me a opened display one.

I always try to stay out of these types of discussions, but this one hit home. I ordered a set of ESM retracts for my bf-110 from tbm. I recieved them in a home made brown cardboard box with the parts wrapped in bubble wrap. I've also ordered ESM retracts from vq and those came in a very nice white box with a foam insert with the parts fit inside. I had zero problem with the vq ordered parts, however the tbm retracts have been nothing short of a nightmare. I had to order lado,s finally so I could finish my plane.

The tbm ordered retracts were obviously a returned set.

kork 08-08-2012 11:27 AM

I  found out that shipping is crazy now days, over the last 6 months i have shipped may kits to people and a average 60 size kit is around 40 to 50 dollars(usps) I had to start using fed ex. anything 120 size or larger you can plan on spending around 70 dollars for shippiing. Those companys are rolling in the bucks. It makes fun of buying and selling kits alot tougher these days.
jason

Chris Nicastro 08-08-2012 12:00 PM

You would if you get it just sitting on the pallet with a couple of weak stretch wrap attempts that dont tie it down to the pallet. Basically it was needlessly doubling the weight of the shipment and not offering any protection. The box still arrived damaged but luckily the plane was not.
Anyway, they stick you for this "handling fee" just the same.

midastouch_73 08-08-2012 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: F4u5

I guess it takes a degree in material handling to peel off a sticker then drag the box next to the door for the UPS man...lol For all the extra handling charges this is what you get...... A box that looks as if it was handled by some chimps!!!! I wonder if the stain on the box is urine?
<br type="_moz" />

glazier808 08-08-2012 03:20 PM

Perhaps your thread should say, "look how UPS treated my package after charging TBM an arm and leg"

Their pricing on shipping isn't that far off IMO. The boxes that the larger 80"+ kits come in are larger than the 74" kits.(I've ordered both)

Casey

midastouch_73 08-08-2012 03:30 PM

Noted... The damage just added insult to injury....

predman 08-08-2012 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

I always try to stay out of these types of discussions, but this one hit home. I ordered a set of ESM retracts for my bf-110 from tbm. I recieved them in a home made brown cardboard box with the parts wrapped in bubble wrap. I've also ordered ESM retracts from vq and those came in a very nice white box with a foam insert with the parts fit inside. I had zero problem with the vq ordered parts, however the tbm retracts have been nothing short of a nightmare. I had to order lado,s finally so I could finish my plane.

The tbm ordered retracts were obviously a returned set.
Yea i used to collect toys and know what to look for, things like if they have been taken out of the box,used,repainted etc, so i know how to spot stuff. I could have returned what i got from TBM but that would have cost me more time and money, just know better for next time. Bad way to do business! The other hand I ordered a new Topflite p-47 gs kit from towerhobbies, it was missing parts and started as it was missing tail plans and pieces, they paid for shipping back to them and shipped me a new kit free of charge,thats what I call customer service!!!

stoneenforcer 08-08-2012 06:09 PM

i just paid 38 bucks for a box bout that size shipped via fedex. it arrived perfect

ORIGINAL: midastouch_73

ORIGINAL: F4u5

I guess it takes a degree in material handling to peel off a sticker then drag the box next to the door for the UPS man...lol For all the extra handling charges this is what you get...... A box that looks as if it was handled by some chimps!!!! I wonder if the stain on the box is urine?
<br type=''_moz'' />

do335a 08-08-2012 07:02 PM

You can't win on shipping these days. It just gets higher and higher.

It's much worse when you send that stuff across your border into Canada. The rates you guys are talking about are quite low compared to the international stuff. Doesn't matter if it's through UPS or the USPS.

Don't forget that you also have that dimensional weight calculation, which is a way of cranking up the rate for whatever size box that you have by assigning an artificially higher weight to it to increase your charges.

Here, in Ontario, we also have the privilege of being able to bend over one more time and pay 13% tax on top of the shipping charge.

Johnny_Zero 08-08-2012 07:34 PM

My LHS will get me anything I need. I don't pay shipping....all I pay is tax. I can look over the kit and not buy if it is damaged. This works way better for me!

DMichael 08-08-2012 07:55 PM

Extreme Flight passes on their shipping cost with no additional markup. I recently received a 78" Extra from them and the shipping was $120. UPS I believe. Cant tell you if TBM is adding to their shipping or not- but the prices the shipping companies are charging is very high now and TBM might not be giving you "the business" as much as you might think.

telejojo 08-09-2012 03:50 AM

With fuel at 4.00 a gallon for trucks you can forget cheap shipping.......................

Brad330l 08-09-2012 03:54 AM

It just cost me $70 to get an electric motor from Hobby Lobby to my home in Western Australia.[:@][:'(][X(]:eek::(

Brad

BOLTMAN 08-09-2012 04:49 AM

I was once quoted US$90.00 shipping to send 6 rolls of chart tape ( panel line tape ) from the USA to Australia. [:@][>:][:'(]
Ended up getting it off Terry at Wyliewarbirds and he only charged me about $5.00 :D

TJC333 08-09-2012 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: telejojo

With fuel at 4.00 a gallon for trucks you can forget cheap shipping.......................
That is exactly the cause of the problem. A few years ago 60 Minutes did a report on how oil price speculation on Wall Street is driving up the price of oil &amp; gas by about 30% and it had nothing to do with supply and demand. I don't blame Wall Street as they are not doing anything illegal. We need Congress to put regulations in place that prohibit oil price speculation. It won't happen however because almost everyone in Congress gets re-elected no matter how bad a job they do. In the last election the re-election rate for incumbent members of the House was 93% and 83% in the Senate. If you want to pay less for shipping, gasoline and food go the the voting booth inNovember and kick your Congress person out of office.

JL1 08-09-2012 05:32 AM

Just complete the Canadian pipeline and the speculators will back off