RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   EasyTiger Models SBD Dauntless 100"ws (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11303126-easytiger-models-sbd-dauntless-100%22ws.html)

uncljoe 11-19-2012 04:44 PM

EasyTiger Models SBD Dauntless 100"ws

1 Attachment(s)
Just started to get things in order befor I start . I got this arf on the "Sandy Sale " or "First Bus out of the Big Apple" . I'm am not a shill and I will give you an honest assesment of the kit . After its 5 day trip it arrived by grayhound, condition of the two boxes were great, no problems ..I wanted to make an 1939 paint ( chrome yellow wings, red stabs,red/white/blue fin,etc) scheme , so the first thing I did was to fill the GIANTrivit holes( about 3/16" so say 1.75' full scale) and first coat of silver.
More photo's later

I plan on powering it with a DA 85 ......
Semper Fi
Joe

77chickenhawk 11-19-2012 09:22 PM

RE: EasyTiger Models SBD Dauntless 100"ws

What is your inside cowl diameter please. Thank you very much

uncljoe 11-20-2012 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: 77chickenhawk

What is your inside cowl diameter please. Thank you very much
Its 11.00" x 12.25 "
Semper Fi

uncljoe 11-20-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Landing gear arrived today and it impressive .. all that is needed is a servo yo operate the value .
TodayI went through all the areas I could see to see just how the glue joints looked ,Overall Not too bad, few areas I ran another bead of aero poxey ( actually its a lot better constructed that I've seen on a few hi dollars jet kits from chineese mfg.)

Semper Fi
Joe

uncljoe 11-21-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did not like the way the tourque rod for the rudder is secured.just glue the rod into the rudder, so I drilled a hole thru the rudder and tourque rod and pined its place in the rudder.
Semper Fi
Joe

vallawyer 12-02-2012 07:19 AM

Ihave the Easytiger FW190 and P47, both are superb models. The Dauntless looks great. Watch out, now they will call you an Easytiger shill, because you said something nice.
I also am using the stock ETM landing gear, and it is fine. I did follow ET's advice and replace the pins on the scissors with bolts, after some landings, they started gettign sloppy. I followed his advice, replaced them with bolts, and the problem was resolved. I'm a happy customer, never had a problem, and it's sad to see the same people come in and bash every time one of the planes were shown, especially when those people never bought anything.

umitv 12-02-2012 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: vallawyer

Ihave the Easytiger FW190 and P47, both are superb models. The Dauntless looks great. Watch out, now they will call you an Easytiger shill, because you said something nice.
I also am using the stock ETM landing gear, and it is fine. I did follow ET's advice and replace the pins on the scissors with bolts, after some landings, they started gettign sloppy. I followed his advice, replaced them with bolts, and the problem was resolved. I'm a happy customer, never had a problem, and it's sad to see the same people come in and bash every time one of the planes were shown, especially when those people never bought anything.

it is nice to hear good feedback for them. I always wanna order corsair or fw190 but than I change my mind because there are some guys complain about their customer service.
<br type="_moz" />

lrb75 12-02-2012 11:42 AM

Most people call vallawyer a shill because he says he has multiple easytiger planes for years but never posts a single picture. If you post pictures, like you are doing, showing the good points and bad points of the model people will just thank you.

DavidAgar 12-02-2012 01:56 PM

Okay guys, this started of as a build thread on a Dauntless. We are not going to over take the intent of this thread with the pro's and con's of Easy Tiger, nor are we going to discuss shills for Easy Tiger. Thanks for your understanding, Dave

uncljoe 12-02-2012 04:47 PM

Guys if you have a problem with ET take it up with him don't polute this thread. I am pretty pleased with the kit .,been slowed down by a health problems and Just finished the servo installation &amp; linkage on the stabs,&amp; ailerons ,BTW the hardware is great.and all present in the kit . So far the only problem has been with the dive brakes . two were warpped ,used steam and a heat gun to reform them .Monday I plan on finishing the dive brakes (linkage and servos) Again I'm NO Shill just someone who likes unusal kits and willing to do some quality control, IMO this kit is as good as some of the preimer MFG .
Semper Fi
Joe

Chad Veich 12-02-2012 06:24 PM

Lookin' good Joe. I've already got the artwork drawn up for the pre-war American insignia so all I need to know is what diameter you need and I will get some paint stencils cut for you.

Datavision 12-03-2012 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: umitv

ORIGINAL: vallawyer

I have the Easytiger FW190 and P47, both are superb models. The Dauntless looks great. Watch out, now they will call you an Easytiger shill, because you said something nice.

it is nice to hear good feedback for them. I always wanna order corsair or fw190 but than I change my mind because there are some guys complain about their customer service.
<br type=''_moz'' />
I'm a happy customer, multiple planes, amd I am going to visit the warehouse again soon to get more. I have not seen the fw190 up close, except in the box?
This Dauntless look great, I like the new paint scheme. One of these might be my holiday gift to me.

uncljoe 12-14-2012 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Few shots of my progress . a few issues .. the axels provided are either too short (Approx 1/4 ") or the tires are too wide . Had to make a stand off 7/16" to put on axel to keep the tire from hitting the strut . Also cut down the strut lenght by approx 3/8 " so that it would seat in the trundem along with filing a flat spot in the strut to keep the strut from turning (small grub screw on trunden), These are NOT real issues just things a model builder should be aware of . Where the plans call for holes to be drilled (rear of center section ) will not go thru the bering blocks in the wing ,so drill them where they will go thru the blocks . The only BITC* I have is that,the Chineese plastic parts are REAL BRITTLEnot enough flexable stuff made in the plastic ,causing the plactic to crack when cutting . This is a mfg problem which the importer has no control over . I'll post more photos of my final assembly

Semper Fi
Joe<br type="_moz" />

glazier808 12-14-2012 10:18 AM

Looks good uncljoe. Like the new paint.

Casey

uncljoe 12-14-2012 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Looks good uncljoe. Like the new paint.

Casey
Casey
My eyes are NOT what they once were &amp; Need all the help I can get . need the stars &amp; dots (coming)
While I'm thinking about it the servo mount tray need to have some horizonal stiffiners it flexes as the rudder / tail wheel moves ( I'm using CF fiber push rods and I don't really care for the push/pull provided) Hopefully I'm read for the maiden flight around the first of the year.
Semper Fi
Joe
<br type="_moz" />

Alain RONK 12-14-2012 10:57 AM

<span style="font-size: medium;">Hello !

Your Dauntless is very great !http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

In French,we also build Dauntless :
http://www.modelisme-racer.fr/ceux-d...ins/en-photos/

</span><div><span style="font-size: medium;">Best regards !http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif</span></div><div><span style="font-size: medium;">Alain</span></div><div><span style="font-size: medium;">My website : </span><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"><span style="font-size: medium;">www.modelisme-racer.fr</span></span></div>

uncljoe 12-14-2012 01:26 PM

Hello Alain<div>  You SBD has the same scheme I will be using,USMC bombing 2  BTW you have some great looking aircraft on that page</div><div>Semper Fi</div><div> Joe</div><div>
</div>

FireBee 12-14-2012 08:02 PM

Joe,
I love the fact as a scale nut, within 10 minutes you are already sanding and filling to make this your one of a kind paint scheme.

The new Dauntless is looking very nice.

Alain RONK 12-14-2012 10:40 PM

<span style="font-size: medium;">Hello Joe

Thank you for your replie, it's cool !

Best regards !http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif</span><div><span style="font-size: medium;">Alain</span></div><div><span style="font-size: medium;">My french website : </span><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"><span style="font-size: medium;">www.modelisme-racer.fr</span></span></div>

WhoDaMan 12-15-2012 02:10 PM

RE: EasyTiger Models SBD Dauntless 100

Joe she looks sweet

Texastbird 01-05-2013 08:28 AM

What are you planning for a power plant, Joe?

lrb75 01-05-2013 11:31 AM

Uncle Joe, For the brittle plastic parts the ESM warbirds have the same issue with their canopies. I read in another thread if you do the cutting under hot water they won't crack. It worked great on my P-40. Looking forward to a maiden flight video.

Capt G 01-05-2013 04:37 PM

Can you please tell me what silver paint you are using? Thanks
Also what red?

SrTelemaster150 01-05-2013 05:10 PM

My very 1st powered aircraft was a C/L 1/2A SBD Dauntless W/an .049 Wen Mac engine.

That was my Christmas present in 1963.

It even had a bomb drop feature that was controlled by a 3rd line attached to the U-Control Handle just above the "UP" cable..

uncljoe 01-08-2013 12:00 PM

Texastbird  a DA 85  26/10 pro[,  6 pound of ballast ..UG ! to CG..... <div>CaptG  Dulpli-color  chrysler color red</div><div>                                     Toyota Silvermist</div><div>                                     Ford chrome yellow </div><div>  Irb75         Thank you  for the tip on the brittle plastic parts I will use your warm water method</div><div>         I think the ziroli sbd canopy just might br the soluation to cloudiness of the clear plastic,and easy of cutting... [8D]</div><div>Semper Fi,Mac</div>