RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite .60 size F4U Corsair Flaps (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11326189-top-flite-60-size-f4u-corsair-flaps.html)

edbu1 12-10-2012 06:29 AM

Top Flite .60 size F4U Corsair Flaps

For anyone who has either built the Gold Edition kit or who has put together the ARF, I have a question concerning the flaps. I am building the .60 size kit. The instruction manual says to angle the joint between the middle and the outer flap, and the plans clearly show this. My question is with the joint between the middle and the inner flap. The plans seem to show this joint angled, but the plans don't point that out, nor does the instruction manual. So if you have the ARF, or if you have build the kit, is this joint at 90 degrees to the flap leading edge? Or is it angled similar to the middle/outer flap joint?

da Rock 12-10-2012 07:20 AM

RE: Top Flite .60 size F4U Corsair Flaps

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the two inner flaps on one side. It shows the alignment that works for the ARF.

The flaps in the picture are completely up. They make a perfect continuation of the wing's airfoil. Their top is aligned to follow the top of the wing perfectly. So is the bottom.

Do the instructions describe measurements for drilling and placing the Robart hinges?

edbu1 12-10-2012 07:25 AM

That photo looks like the middle/inner joint is angled, but the middle/outer joint is straight. Now I'm more confused!

edbu1 12-11-2012 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Top Flite mis-understood my question, as their answer pertains to the mounting of the Robart Hinge Point hinges. Here is what they wrote:

"Thank you for your recent email.

Yes, these other flap hinge hole locations are slightly angled toward the center of the wing as well. "

I'm not asking about the flap hinge holes. I'm asking about the area where the middle and inner flaps meet each other, not where they meet the wing. Where the flaps meet each other, is it perpendicular to the trailing edge of the wing, or is it angled toward the fuselage?

da Rock 12-11-2012 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: edbu1
The instruction manual says to angle the joint between the middle and the outer flap, and the plans clearly show this. My question is with the joint between the middle and the inner flap.
My pictures are of the ARF. Sorry, but never done the kit. The first picture was taken from the side away from the gap and that's why that joint looks angled. It isn't. Neither is the next joint out.

If you look closely at the distance between the two flap section where they meet, you should be able to tell that the gap is constant from wing TE to flap TE.

Sorry that I don't have pictures of the next connection outboard, but I haven't assembled the wing yet. I will edit another picture I have to show you what the hinging should accomplish. The reason I mentioned that the top of the LE of each flap segment should be parallel to the top of the wing is that position is required for flight and that position aligns the flaps to move downward properly for them to wind up in alignment when deployed.

If you look directly down on properly installed flaps, you see their LE is parallel with the TE of the wing. The distance from the TE of the wing to the LE of the flaps will be the same distance apart from root to tip of each flap. When the flaps are at zero deflection is when all the gaps should be equal along each gap. The flap sections will also be aligned as shown in my first picture.

Here's the edited picture from the rear with the flaps deployed.

da Rock 12-11-2012 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just shot another picture that may help. Here is a picture that should give a more 'square' look.

The ARF's 3 flap segments all have square sides. Every flap section's corner is 90degrees, all 4 of them. In the picture, the outer rib where the wing joins, is straight back and as you can see, so is the outer rib of the flap.

I've yet to join the wing sections to see how those 2 outer flap segments work with each other. My picture above shows how the inner 2 segments do.

da Rock 12-11-2012 03:10 PM

Hey edbu1,
I've googled the Gold Edition kit Corsair and looked at pictures of the completed kit models. They all show straight joints.

If the center flap section is centered where the wing is bent, as happens on the ARF, both sides of that center section be alike.

I didn't see a single picture of any kit Corsair that showed an angled joint.

edbu1 12-11-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks, Rock. The kit instructions and plans specifically point out to angle the middle/outer flap joint at 100 degrees. I guess, though, as your ARF shows, it doesn't really matter. The important thing is that when the flaps are up (non-deployed) they fit next to each other and form the continuation of the wing. Thanks again for checking into this for me.

Chad Veich 12-11-2012 05:38 PM

The angle between the middle and inboard flaps should be 90 degrees edbu1. I don't have the plans any longer but I'm guessing that any angle shown was a possible attempt by the drawer of the plans to represent the curved nature of wing rather than just a straight plan view projection.

da Rock 12-11-2012 05:51 PM

enjoyed helping....

edbu1 12-12-2012 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got a reply back from Top Flite after I pointed out that they misunderstood my question. I sent the same sketch that I posted on this forum. Here is their response:

"Thank you for your recent email.

I checked with my Department Manager, a former R&D employee, and he said this joint is angled as well. "

So there ya go! Both sides of the middle flap are angled at 100 degrees from the wing trailing edge. They angle toward the fuselage going from the flap leading edge to the flap trailing edge. Although, as stated earlier, I don't think it really matters. It only matters that they form a continuous surface (except for the tiny gap between sections) when not deployed.

Here's the page from the instruction manual stating how to cut the outer edge of the middle flap. No such instruction for the inner edge of the middle flap or the outer edge of the inner flap.

BobH 12-12-2012 06:10 AM

I built this kit some years ago. It seems that I had to do some fiddling with the flap angels as well. The problem was that when the flaps where retracted they would bind near the leading edge of the wing. Maybe that was due to the thickness of the flaps them selves? I would install them how ever is easiest for you.. say 90 degrees. And if they don't close properly you'll see it. You can adjust your flap edges pretty easily by some sanding and adding material if necessary.

da Rock 12-14-2012 08:13 AM

The ARF flaps are hinged with Robart pin hinges. The lower LE of each flap segment is rounded. Install the hinges so they hinge exactly centered in the circle made by the rounded LE.

You've got to install those hinges in the wing TE so they hinge just a touch farther away from the wing TE than they hinge centered in that rounded flap LE.

Trust me, the people putting the ARFs together don't exactly win awards for accuracy. Getting the hinges right isn't real hard. It just isn't dead simple, or falling down easy.

FireBee 12-14-2012 07:45 PM

Guys, I read the instructions step 8 differently.

They are talking about the leading edge piece of the outer, left most flap in the picture. Part A is the leading edge of the middle flap. It is cut 90 degrees in all directions. Horiz and vertical.

So on the left most flap in the picture, the outer flap, If you we're to look from directly behind the trailing edge toward the wing, not the top view down, then the inboard edge of the outer flap is cut at 100 degrees.

This accounts for the pinching at the top of the outer flap due to the gull. Another way to think of it as basically adding 10 degrees worth of a longer lower edge of the outboard flap to fill the gap on the bottom. The 100 degrees is a vertical type cut on the leading edge piece. An angled edge, not perfectly vertical.

So when full up, the ends of each flapt butt together with only a minimal gap.

Hope this helps.