RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Retract drawings wanted, (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11331169-retract-drawings-wanted.html)

alanc 12-14-2012 06:48 AM

Retract drawings wanted,

Next year, we are going to start a 1/4scale FW D-9, from meister plans, i would like to make the retracts, but i am more machinist than designer, there are plane plans, cut wood packs, etc etc, but why no retract drawings? many of us are machinists, for us, it would be childs play, but finding info is difficult, anyone help? the 190 has oddball retract angles, anyone know what they are? and are electronic actuaters available off the shelf so to speak? i have no objection to air, but electronic seems so easy

glazier808 12-14-2012 06:53 AM

RE: Retract drawings wanted,

Have you thought about asking Darrel from Sierra? It's hard to think that he wouldn't share a little info with ya, as he seems like quite a nice guy.

EDIT:

Also there is a gent named Allen Ronk(I think thats correct) from France that is doing a 1/4 scale FW 190 that has posted here. I know he had a fellow make some for him. He might have some info as well.

Casey

BobH 12-14-2012 07:23 AM

Manufacturers won't give out drawings they develop on products because its their business to sell them :) Darrell IS a nice guy who is in the retract business lol.

You're best bet would be to do all the head scratching, designing etc. like they did and come up with your own design. I know there are drawings available for the FW190. Try Bentley, I believe he's in the UK. and good luck.

da Rock 12-14-2012 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

ORIGINAL: alanc

Next year, we are going to start a 1/4scale FW D-9, from meister plans, i would like to make the retracts, but i am more machinist than designer, there are plane plans, cut wood packs, etc etc, but why no retract drawings? many of us are machinists, for us, it would be childs play, but finding info is difficult, anyone help? the 190 has oddball retract angles, anyone know what they are? and are electronic actuaters available off the shelf so to speak? i have no objection to air, but electronic seems so easy
I doubt you will find plans for retracts for the plane you're doing or the size needed for the plane. As you've noticed, there isn't a market for machinist plans at all, and you'd want plans for a less popular airplane in as somewhat new size. If you wanted P51 gear plans for a 60 size model, there might be a slim to none chance. Odds are your chances are less than that.

With the exception of the trunion, the design is fairly simple. Since Lado sells trunions, why not start with that part. Designing a gear from there out should really be fairly simple.

What angle do the 190s gear retract? Measuring this drawing from the internet looks like about 90-17degrees to me. Then if you measure the forward angle of the side view looks like 15degrees there. That angle would also give you the angle to have each gear housing set into the wing so the tires would be enclosed in the wing.

All that sounds complicated, but for anyone familiar enough with gear design, it's really not.

Click to enlarge the drawing and it's large enough to measure the angles right on your monitor.

da Rock 12-14-2012 07:49 AM

Trust me, you will need that forward rake if you plan to fly the plane off grass.

Lado also sells electric drive mechanisms separately.

Their 75 degree trunion could be the basis of a design that was sufficiently strong for your model.

t_burley 12-14-2012 08:02 AM

alan,

send me a PM with your email. I will send you what I have.
I started drawing my own gear a couples years back.

todd

tunakuts3d 12-14-2012 08:08 AM

have a look at the Hafner archive's, he seems to have a lot of info available for the FW190.You have to purchase the C.D.s or printed stuff but it may be worthwhile if it give the details you seek. Try giving Mr. Hafner an E mail explaining what you're looking for and possibly he could tell what to order. 
http://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/

alanc 12-14-2012 08:30 AM

WOW, GUYS, such a swift response, DONT think someone like sierra would release his drawings for the home constructor, some other great leads here that i will pursue, and Mr Burley, i have sent youa PM, many thanks, good lead forthe lekky bits, and the advice Mr rock, thanks, keep themcoming guys, i cant imagine why thisquestion has not come up before

invertmast 12-14-2012 08:37 AM

All of the strut angles and stuff are listed in the bentley drawings.

Im planning to do a 1/3 FW-190A8 in the future and the gear is one think i've got to start working on soon

t_burley 12-14-2012 08:39 AM

email sent your way Alan with all the info I have
drawings, pics etc showing angles etc

glazier808 12-14-2012 08:40 AM

Bob,

I doubt he'll give you the whole cow. Lol

I was referring to him sharing the angles and such, which is what Allen said he was looking for.

Still don't think it would hurt to ask, it would be a solid starting point instead of trying to pull the angles(without error)from plans or a drawing

Casey

BobH 12-14-2012 09:18 AM

Casey, I would maybe use the Bentley drawings if I were to try. I've seen machined retracts, electric, on the net. They were for a pretty big bird too. They look like they operated much like the full scale plane. Electric and cam driven system.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Sis-T is selling a 1/4 scale FW190..so someone is making the gear for them... Maybe Sierra.. Me thinks that other than the self satisfaction of doing it yourself, there wont be much in the way of savings.. just my opinion.

glazier808 12-14-2012 11:53 AM

Ah here we go... This was the gent I was thinking of.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11089183

He's had a set made for his 1/4 scale project.

Casey

invertmast 12-14-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Ah here we go... This was the gent I was thinking of.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11089183

He's had a set made for his 1/4 scale project.

Casey
While its an impressive project, i dont understand all the work to build a plug with so many in-accuracies, same goes for the wings.

glazier808 12-14-2012 02:03 PM

I'm only pointing him in this direction for retract info. Don't know bout all that.

Casey

FireBee 12-14-2012 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alanc,
here are two pics of retract info I picked up on RCU last year. I only used it to help with my spitfire retracts to get the angles correct.

Good luck , mike

t_burley 12-14-2012 03:16 PM

alan,

I just sent you the PDF files of my 190 gear drawings that I made
to you as well now.

alanc 12-15-2012 01:25 AM

GUYS, if you could only see what i have been sent, what can i say? this week, i put in the hours finding a set of plans for an elderly born again modelor, this has been my fabulous payment, such a great response from all of you,but extra special thanksto T Burley, FIREBEE, love those calcs, next year, the build of the retracts is on, i will be investigating Lado actuators for the push pull bit, we build models as a team, Dave builds the airframe, Alan glasses and paints, i do all the engineering, and we have another maistro who details, in build at the moment are the following,
118" Mitchell, 2nd one, (first crashed and burned on test, after just 10 flights)
144"DC3 (to be finished in band of brothers scheme)
96" DH Vampire for wren turbine,
88" RAF chipmunk
88"Boeing peashooter (barn find, structure done, metal covered fuselage, needs extensive detailing)
88" Brit Norman Islander, (old Svenson kit, from a deceased great friend of all of the group)
plus a couple of refurbs, Byron Corsair, great planes big Corsair, cumbersome lump,, wings like a surfboard
when all these are done, the meister 190 D-9 will be on the board, this will be NEXT winter, so that gives me a few months to build the retracts, looking forward to it,
AGAIN, many many thanks,

if any of you guys are coming over here, let me know, we will make plans, i know every museum, and every model show over here,

ticketec 12-15-2012 05:47 AM

I have chased this info before and come up pretty empty handed too, other than this..

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschi...sbn=0887404707

Looks the good, but I just haven't jumped on it yet. It's printed by schiffer, who's books are not too bad most of the time, but then again, how many books do you come across that are dedicated to the design of landing gear? we beggers can't always be choosers.[:o]

One closer to home for you:

http://www.amazon.com/German-Aircraf.../dp/0887404707

Thanks

dave

t_burley 12-15-2012 08:45 AM

your are welcome Alan.

Dave I have that German landing gear book. it is a GREAT resource

invertmast 12-15-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: t_burley

your are welcome Alan.

Dave I have that German landing gear book. it is a GREAT resource

Todd,
Does that book go into detail on the Do335, ta-154 and the ar-234 landing gear? These are all future projects, and itd be nice to get some good gear (accurate) for the.

Thomas

t_burley 12-15-2012 10:47 AM

Thomas

Yes, the book has those planes in it.

They are detailed, but not dimensioned. But still a good value

I believe I have a couple of real good 335 books here that I bought
when Evo and I where to originally be building a pair of PCM335's