RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   How do you power your war birds? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11361759-how-do-you-power-your-war-birds.html)

mikes68charger 01-08-2013 12:10 PM

How do you power your war birds?

Ok guys I have only been doing this for 2 years now so I need some clarification

I truly believe simple is best.

In my Topflite gaints. I use a good 2000mah 6.6life for servos and reviver or 2 2000mah 5cell nicads on a Y harnes and a 1000mah 4 cell for ignition

I just got a well done TopFlite P47. And I was disapointed

He had a 2000mah 2s lipo with 2 MPI voltage regs one for reciver/servos and the other for the ignition

Wich seems to me the regulator weighs as much as a light 6.6 Life pack.

Am I old school in my thinking or dose this rout seem like there is more chance for something to go wrong<br type="_moz" />

irocbsa 01-08-2013 12:31 PM

RE: How do you power your war birds?

In my view, a regulator is just another component that can fail. I use 2 LiFe's on separate switches for the receiver and a 4.8 pack on the receiver for the ignition.

Dash7ATP 01-08-2013 12:51 PM

I'd rather have rubber bands than electric in a warbird!<div>
</div><div>Dash</div>

sparky4lawndart 01-08-2013 01:03 PM

I have a BH FW190 flying now with 3 6v 2200 NiMH packs... one for ignition (thru opto switch on channel 8), two for rcvr and retracts...

I am finishing a BH Macchi C.200 with a RedWingRC red powerexpander with two 2100MAh LiFe packs (redundancy). what's nice is that the expander has a built in isolated opti kill switch for my DLE 30 (I just gotta figure out how to shoehorn it in)

mikes68charger 01-08-2013 03:23 PM

If you chose othere please let us know what you got going on. Thanks

prop wash 01-08-2013 03:31 PM

I use 6.6 NiMH in my GS birds,but then I have all glow.
Tom

Warbird Man 01-08-2013 04:37 PM

Keeping it simple and reliable is right. On my TFGS planes I use 2 separate Life packs w/ HD switches for the RX and Zenoha engines with mag. ignitions.;)

irocbsa 01-08-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

</div><div>Dash</div>
LOL! I think you missed the bus on this topic.

kahloq 01-08-2013 04:59 PM

Voted other.......

In my more recent giant size warbirds, they have a 65cc ELECTRIC motor. So no ignition :) 12s lipo 6000mah of juice.

The ONLY gas plane I currently have has 6v nimh for the ignition, however, there are TWO 2300mah 6v in parallel run through a PCB bus that also powers the RX. No worries here because IF the voltage drops below a certain level(unlikely with 4600mah of 6v battery), the pcb will shut off the ignition to ensure I keep control of the plane.

I do have a 50cc gas motor still looking for a home and IF I ever get around to putting it in something, it'd be using a nimh pack to run the igntion module.

wphilb 01-08-2013 05:04 PM

2 LiFe 6.6v with HD switches for the RX, sometimes separate RX's other times just one. The ignitions get LiFe single cell in my Zen 20 EI's, LiFe 6.6v with regulator if needed or without for others (ZDZ has ignitions that need just 6v and others that run fine on 7.4 so 2 cell LiFe works for those) and the Moki's get LiFe 11.1 v for the new ignition.

Whit

mikes68charger 01-08-2013 05:58 PM

I tried electric I had a Hanger 9 B25. With 2 5000mah 6s lipos and 2 power .45 motors 18min flight time. The manufacturer says around 15 pounds but with my speaker set up with 4 speakers I was at 22.5 pounds

i think I'm going to go with the 2 life packs with 2 switches. I guess this gives me the reason to buy the AR9000 reciver even thow I only have a DX8. That way I can put them in 2 Chanel's in the RX<br type="_moz" />

vertical grimmace 01-08-2013 06:02 PM

I think the power question here is about the radio and servos. Not the propulsion. Anyway, I have been running large NiMh RX packs in all my big stuff, but will be converting to Life packs or A123. I have had problems with NiMh, as they have a lot of internal resistance. Especially with 2.4, you need good batteries that wont brown out.

I do not think you are supposed to run 2 batteries to the RX with a "Y" harness, if that is what you are doing in the initial post. You want to run the 2 batteries seperately into different RX ports. You can use a "y" to still have the servo utilize that port.

mikes68charger 01-08-2013 06:30 PM

So your saying when I use a AR8000 and all Chanel's are full I should plug one life in the battery port and then add a Y harness to let say the rudder Chanel that way both battery's are connected to the reciver in different ports

kahloq 01-08-2013 06:43 PM

The only reason to not have a y-harness on two batteries into the same port of the RX is if the y-harness shorts out some odd way. Other then that, the only thing you do by putting two battery packs on a y-harness is increase the mah capacity while creating a much more sustainable voltage level since both packs wouldnt be loaded down as if only one pack were in use.

Yes...you can put an rx battery pack on a y-harness on a separate channel like rudder or whatever. Just rememeber, you need to have an on/off switch for THAT battery as well as the main battery.

AFTERBURNER1 01-08-2013 08:27 PM

Top flight giant P51

Two Fromeco 2600 ions... One running through a smart fly reg for the rx and one to a step down for an ignition.
Dual JR heavy duty switches.

mikes68charger 01-09-2013 12:38 AM

<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Two Fromeco 2600 ions...

Are these different than 6.6 Life? <br type="_moz" /></span>

GerKonig 01-09-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

</div><div>Dash</div>

Nice.... now tell us how you rubber-band power the receiver, and the ignition....

Gerry

Termites Dream 01-09-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

<span style=''background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);''>Two Fromeco 2600 ions...

Are these different than 6.6 Life? <br type=''_moz'' /></span>

The Lithium Ions are different chemistry from LiFE and are 7.4 volts versus 6.6 for the LiFE.

Also have a question. I am building a Ziroli B25 and bought a regulator with 2 battery inputs and was planning on using 2 LiFE batteries into it. Do I need the reg? Servos are all Hitecs, mostly 645s but also have a couple of micro servos such as HS-55s for switches etc. Some of these servos dont seem to be rated for 6 volts.

wphilb 01-09-2013 05:51 AM

I like to put the two batteries into the RX via the two ports that are on either end of the receiver, that way the load is spread out over the whole RX bus. Not really sure it's an issue but since I can reassign channels wherever I want with my SD-10G, I do it. You could also just Y-harness them into the end channels as well without any channel reassignment. And yes, both batteries need their own switch. <div>
</div><div>I prefer the HD chargeport switches. We alter the switches by removing the signal lead going into the RX then using a standard ailerion type connector coming out of the LIFe batteries we can balance charge the LiFes through the chargeport switch. Not my idea, recommended by NoBs batteries. Works like a charm but we label the planes with battery type and capacity at the switch so we know what's in the plane.<div>
</div><div>Wit</div></div>

wphilb 01-09-2013 05:56 AM

I have used several of the standard sized Hitec servos with 6.6v LiFe should be fine there, not sure about the smaller sizes, might want to test an old one? Or call Hitec.<div>
</div><div>Whit</div>

flyinwalenda 01-09-2013 06:29 AM

Reading the title I thought this was a poll about engine choice !
All of my warbirds have magneto engines and I run LiPo packs with regulators as flight packs only because I had a lot of regulators to use up. After that it will be  LiFe packs . If I put in an ignition engine it would be an IBEC tied into the redundant flight pack to power the ignition.

raptureboy 01-09-2013 06:44 AM

You might want to modify your poll by adding NiMh batteries also, thats why I voted other. I am currently using 6v NiMh on the recvr and 4.8 NiMh on the ignition on seperate switchs with an rxel opti kill switch on the ign. I will be switching to LiFe for my receivers, then later on my ignitions with a diode. I will not use 1 battery to do both because if your ignition unit burns out it will kill your battery in no time.

oliveDrab 01-09-2013 07:02 AM

I typically use a Hydrimax 6.0 volt 2000 maH 5-cell Nimh for receiver and servos. And for power to the prop, electric only for the last 4 years. My ESM Bearcat flys with an EFlite 160 with 10S Lipos. My Pilatus PC-9 has an AXI5330/18 with 10S Lipos.

oliveDrab 01-09-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Voted other.......

In my more recent giant size warbirds, they have a 65cc ELECTRIC motor. So no ignition :) 12s lipo 6000mah of juice.

The ONLY gas plane I currently have has 6v nimh for the ignition, however, there are TWO 2300mah 6v in parallel run through a PCB bus that also powers the RX. No worries here because IF the voltage drops below a certain level(unlikely with 4600mah of 6v battery), the pcb will shut off the ignition to ensure I keep control of the plane.

I do have a 50cc gas motor still looking for a home and IF I ever get around to putting it in something, it'd be using a nimh pack to run the igntion module.
I started using NimH's for receiver and servos when I first started back in 2003 and have never done anything else. I've never ever had a problem with NimH for receiver and servos. If I know I'm gonna go flying I charge the NimH the night before and it's good to go for flying the next day. Simple. Cheap.

ARUP 01-09-2013 07:18 AM

... with fuel powered engines! Electric motors are for servo tabs and such.