RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   need photo help w/ TFG P-51 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11642635-need-photo-help-w-tfg-p-51-a.html)

balsabuff 10-29-2017 06:54 PM

need photo help w/ TFG P-51

Hi, fellow builders. I've resisted knocking Top Flite even tho there is / was plenty of things to grump about that Top Flite could have taken care of before the kits hit the market. I'll list some of my complaints at the bottom of this thread. Your'e welcome to comment, gripe or even defend TF.
My first problem is to install the retract tailwheel in the 1/5 P-51 along with the closing gear doors. The ARF P-51 has parts and instructions, related to the rear gear-doors, turn / mount method. However, my Mustang is a KIT, and doesn't have these included or available thru a side order ! What I would really appreciate are photos or drawing of these unique ARF parts being installed in the ARF, so I can try to figure out what I will need to do.
As long as I'm moaning about TP scale models, here are a few of the other gripes :
P-51 nose is awkwardly shapped so that apparently it can use a 5" spinner instead of a 5-1/2 . This looks crummy but at least you can buy the right spinner from Dave Brown, etc, and proper sized version cowl in fiberglass, from Leospycalla ;
The old F-8F " Red Kit has the same cowl as the TF Corsair, to save them production money. Bearcat and Corsair don't use a very close looking cowl, and it requires plenty of work to make it look proper for the Bearcat. ;
The TF C-47 looks terrible with the furnished plastic fuse nose piece. Why they couldn't make it right is anyone's guess.;
I've been building TF kits since the '60 and had plenty of fun building ; 60 incher P-51, P-47, P-39, P-40, Bearcat, among w/ sport models. Like to hear from you guys. 'buff

TomCrump 10-30-2017 03:53 AM

A fact about building your own model is that the builder is in complete control. He can modify the outlines and construction methods, to his heart's content. He can research solutions to perceived problems, and he can enhance scale details.

Or............................. He can start a thread and complain.

rgburrill 10-30-2017 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by TomCrump (Post 12379392)

Or............................. He can start a thread and complain.

Wow, a guy asks for help in modifying a kit and gets slammed. Thanks Tom.

TomCrump 10-30-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by balsabuff (Post 12379326)
Hi, fellow builders. I've resisted knocking Top Flite even tho there is / was plenty of things to grump about that Top Flite could have taken care of before the kits hit the market. I'll list some of my complaints at the bottom of this thread. Your'e welcome to comment, gripe or even defend TF.
My first problem is to install the retract tailwheel in the 1/5 P-51 along with the closing gear doors. The ARF P-51 has parts and instructions, related to the rear gear-doors, turn / mount method. However, my Mustang is a KIT, and doesn't have these included or available thru a side order ! What I would really appreciate are photos or drawing of these unique ARF parts being installed in the ARF, so I can try to figure out what I will need to do.
As long as I'm moaning about TP scale models, here are a few of the other gripes :
P-51 nose is awkwardly shapped so that apparently it can use a 5" spinner instead of a 5-1/2 . This looks crummy but at least you can buy the right spinner from Dave Brown, etc, and proper sized version cowl in fiberglass, from Leospycalla ;
The old F-8F " Red Kit has the same cowl as the TF Corsair, to save them production money. Bearcat and Corsair don't use a very close looking cowl, and it requires plenty of work to make it look proper for the Bearcat. ;
The TF C-47 looks terrible with the furnished plastic fuse nose piece. Why they couldn't make it right is anyone's guess.;
I've been building TF kits since the '60 and had plenty of fun building ; 60 incher P-51, P-47, P-39, P-40, Bearcat, among w/ sport models. Like to hear from you guys. 'buff

I see plenty of complaints, here. Asking for help on the gear doors is hidden among those complaints.

The OP said that he wanted to hear from builders. I spoke up.

My advice on the tail wheel gear doors would be to omit the retractable gear, and use a fixed unit. The gear doors could be then fixed in an open position, providing a scale look without the added complications.

Edwin 11-02-2017 07:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Builders figure it out. TF makes sport scale which is fine for the majority of the market. They are also open to modifying by the builder/assembler. A buddy took two giant P-51's, scratched out a center section and made a F-82 flying on dual G-62's. He didn't bother with extending the fuses, sport scale was good enough since he flys it hard.

As for the tail wheel, lots of guys down here use the fixed gear. If I want a good scale model, I'll build from plans and modify as needed. I haven't done a TF giant P-51 so can't speak to what's involved. Mine is still in the box waiting for hanger space. But I do have the corsair. Can't be like everybody else, so changed it up a bit. Still the same plane underneith.
Edwin

BobH 11-02-2017 05:28 PM

Looking at the Mustang kit instructions I see the instillation of the tail wheel. So that part IS there.
The kit didnt include any room or instructions for the Inner Main Gear doors. It was designed as a sport kit and a larger version of the 60sized mustang.
The nose IS wrong..but fixable with a little effort. ReDraw the nose over the plans and add a few formers to get the correct shape. It's where if you are a builder you can manage with out too difficulty.
Lots of things on this plane can be improved but that's all up to the builder.

metaldriver 11-04-2017 06:03 AM

Buff; if you can access the assembly instructions of the arf that will give you the info needed.
As for the comments about the errors on the kits, remember this. These are/were made for the average builder anywhere. So a guy in Podunk Nowhere could build a P-51 and when his buddies see it they see a P-51. They don't see the lines that are off some, just a Mustang. So do as a friend of mine told me, see these kits as starting points for what you want to build. Correct them when and where you desire and enjoy the hobby.
Allen