RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/1561996-world-models-60-size-p-51-mustang-petie-2nd-version.html)

mnmills2 08-02-2004 01:32 PM

RE: World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

I didnt get a chance to hit the flaps. I was about 30 feet on the upwind side at 3/4 throttle. I had just pulled the gear up as things were starting to go well. I was just really relieved when it came back down and worked as advertised. These are my first mechanical retracts Ive owned.

I didnt have to add any weight to balance it... it was perfect. I hit the gas on takeoff and the tail came up quick so pulled back on the elevator. The controls were so sensitive, it almost went vertical from there. Then I pushed forward to get some speed, and it did a nose dive down to a foot off the ground. I pulled back again and climbed away and shifted to low rates and everything was perfect. I highly recommend 50% of the recommended throws.

I took the advice and coated the retract wells with epoxy. I actually used a mixture of 30 minute epoxy and denatured alcohol to thin it down. With a thinner mixture I was able to get it to wick into a few corners. Mine didnt break off on the maiden voyage!

One thing I did was I screwed up my cowl in the building process. I mounted the engine mounts upside down. Its sounds weird...but the mounts are a little different than anything I had seen. THis caused my motor to be mounted 3/4" off center with out me realizing it. THen I cut the dummy cowl to fit and traced it on my final cowl and started hacking away. It still doesnt look too bad, the hole is just a little large. I called airborne models and they have already shipped me a new cowl. I had good luck with them.

Im using the 91FX in mine. Ive never used a fuel pump before. I ended up with only a 14oz (414cc) tank. Is this too small? I may have just been out of gas. I quickly refueled and didnt end up flying again so Im not sure if the tank was completely empty. The manual says that is sufficient, but I was running it pretty rich and I only got about 5 minutes out of it. I just read the post above saying 24oz and I started to wonder.

Richard L. 08-02-2004 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: mnmills

I ended up with only a 14oz (414cc) tank. Is this too small? I may have just been out of gas. I quickly refueled and didnt end up flying again so Im not sure if the tank was completely empty. The manual says that is sufficient, but I was running it pretty rich and I only got about 5 minutes out of it. I just read the post above saying 24oz and I started to wonder.
I think a 24 oz tank is overkill for this small plane. A 14 oz tank should be sufficient for the 91FX. I'm using a 14 oz tank with my YS 110, and I'm getting a full 12 minutes of flight at full throttle.

viper21 08-05-2004 06:11 PM

Well my Mustang was shipped today along with a Slimline inverted pitts muffler for my new OS 91 Surpass II:D I should have the plane in 5 days or less its coming from Quantum Models. I need to clean up my bench so I can start work on the Mustang it should fly well with the new Surpass 91 II and Graupner 14x6 to start. I
Viper

BadBart 08-07-2004 07:30 PM

Have those running a .91 4c in this plane found it to be enough power? Closer to scale I'd bet. Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of putting a Saito .91 in her.
Pat

mnmills2 08-08-2004 02:31 PM

Well...I have the 91FX in mine. It flies well on that, but if you put in the recommended 61, it would be VERY marginal. I would go to say that a 91 4C would be too small, at least if you want a plane with any power.

Mike

viper21 08-08-2004 02:42 PM

Well, I am going to run a new Pumped OS 91 Surpass II and a Slimline inverted pitts muffler and I am not worried about having enough power. I am also installing Robart pneumatic retracts and Robo Struts and I am not worried. I dont want a 3D Mustang so I will be happy I believe.
Viper

serge760 08-08-2004 03:17 PM

how do you check the CG on your p51, from the wing tips, or as close to the fuselage?????

taildraggerdave 08-08-2004 04:59 PM

They want you to check it on the wing at the fuselage. Measured back from the leading edge of the wing with the fuel tank empty.

viper21 08-08-2004 05:18 PM

Dave or anyone, can you guys tell me what size wheels the plane uses because I need to know the size so I can order my Robart retracts and
Robo Struts. I will have my plane and inverted pitts muffler will be here on Wednesday. So I am making room on my bench to make room for my Mustang so I can start work on it,
Viper

stangevil29 08-10-2004 10:51 PM

Viper 21 or anyone,
I was curious as to where I might be able to get a look at a set of the CJM retracts that you have been talking about? I went to their web site and could not find anything on them. Are they made for the petie 2nd? I have never had a set of air retracts and it would be shame if I was to chew my Fathers Day present up by leaving the stocks in it. Are they had to install? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Crazyponie

viper21 08-10-2004 11:21 PM

Crazyponie, I am installing Robart air retracts the ones I am using are 551RS and they are bored to fit the Robo Struts for the 3 inch wheels the plane needs. You can see the retracts and accesories for Robart and Spring Air at these sites. http://www.robart.com/ http://www.retracts.com/
For the Spring Airs you need the 704 retracts they are bored for Robart Robo Struts also. If you just want to use the stock wire struts they have the retracts with 3/16 wire I am installing the Robo Struts because the help in take off and mostly landing and look very scale. If you need more info about the Robarts PM ort Email me and I can give you all the Robart part #'s
Viper

PS: How do you like the plane and which engine are you installing? I am having mine delivered tomorrow.:D:D

Tony Flores 08-11-2004 02:02 AM

Are you guys using the vibration isolation motor mount that came with the kit? I'm thinking about modifying the mount to remove the rubber mountings and make it solid.
Any opinions?

taildraggerdave 08-11-2004 07:43 AM

That's what I did. Used the black plastic mount only and drilled and tapped holes to mount the engine, followed by lock nuts on the other side.

mnmills2 08-11-2004 08:19 AM

I used the included motor mount with the vibration dampners. It is a little of a pain to put together, but it works great.

Mike

viper21 08-11-2004 03:00 PM

Mike, I was planning to use the Vibration mount for my 91 Surpass are you using a four stroke or two? I ask because I wanted to make sure the mount will hold up to the Pumped OS 91 Surpass III?
Thanks Joe

stangevil29 08-11-2004 07:37 PM

Viper21,
Thanks for giving me the part #'s. Are they hard to install, any modifications needed or do they drop right into the original blocks? I havent started the build as of yet I have been pretty busy and I wanted to waite until I had everything together that I needed to complete the stang. I am putting a new saito 100 in it. I think it should be plenty of get up and go for it. I had another quick ? for you all. Did your models come with the aileron servo hatches in the wing cut out or was it covered over like mine? Thanks.

Stangevil29, sorry I didnt mean to to put my poker name ( crazyponie) on here before.

viper21 08-11-2004 08:36 PM

Stangevil29, I just got my plane this afternoon about two hours ago and I need to clear up some room on my bench for the plane. I haven't bought my retracts yet but I am going to this week. I cant tell you about whether you need to make any modifications or not yet and I probably won't get into building the plane till next week. I will post some pictures of the gear installation and the building of the plane. I Just need to jugglesome kits around for space and then I will for sure post some building pics.
I would think your plane should move pretty well with the Saito 100 I am hoping that there is enough room behind my Pumped Surpass 91 for the Slimline inverted pitts to fit should look great with the muffler exiting the bottom of the cowl.
Good Luck
Viper

taildraggerdave 08-11-2004 10:00 PM

I believe you have to cut them out and seal the edges with a heat gun. Go back to my post #8 and there is a photo. I didn't mind cutting out the covering when you see how nice the servo mounting for the aileron servos are:D

Tony Flores 08-12-2004 02:55 AM

Viper,
What model Robo Strut are you using.
thanks,
Tony

mnmills2 08-12-2004 08:45 AM

Viper,

I am using a 91FX....Im sure it will hold up to the 4 stroke.

Mike

viper21 08-12-2004 12:57 PM

Tony, I am using number 653 L/R Robo Struts and am using 551RS Robo Strut ready retracts they are already bored for the 3/8 Robo Struts.
I checked with Robart and they told me the 3/8 Robo Struts will be okay with the airplane. I am using the 188 VRX its got the variable speed valve. I am not sure how the 551's will fit but I am sure they will be close enough and I am strengthening the retract mounts and ribs but I will only be flying off pavement so they will be fine.
Hope that helps
Viper

Mike, I didn't mean to say that my Surpass is more powerful I was trying to determine if my thumper will be enough power for my plane.
I am going to start work on it next week and will post pictures. And several people told me yes so I am no longer worried.
Viper

mnmills2 08-12-2004 01:04 PM

Viper,

I dont know...What I do know is that the 91FX 2 stroke powers it pretty good. Anything smaller I feel would be marginal. Its a large plane with some associated drag. I would be very skeptical on trying the recommended 61. I think I can get some pretty good vertical maneuvers, not unlimited though. If I were to put a 4 stroke in, I would need a 120.

Just my .02

Mike

MustangAce 08-20-2004 11:32 PM

What is the prop selection??

viper21 08-20-2004 11:48 PM

Well, I am planning to try a couple of different props bit I will use a 14x 8 APC on my Pumped OS Surpass 91 that should give me enough speed and climb rate. I am using Robart retracts and Robo Struts so I should have the prop clearance. I don't think that I will need more speed so I might also try a Graupner 14x7 Grey prop and a couple of different sizes of the wood Top Flight props untill I find the best one, Depends on the ready to fly weight also.
Viper

Richard L. 08-21-2004 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mnmills

If I were to put a 4 stroke in, I would need a 120.

If I was to put a 4 stroke in this plane, I would use a YS 110FZ. That engine is roughly the same physical size as an OS .91 four stroke, yet it blows away all current 120 four strokes and 91 two strokes. My fifth YS 110 tached out over 10K rpm on an MA 15x8 K-series prop (wide blades).