RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/1561996-world-models-60-size-p-51-mustang-petie-2nd-version.html)

taildraggerdave 02-24-2004 10:55 PM

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Hello again,
Just got the new WM .60 size P-51. Wife bought it for a birthday gift--nice huh?!
Looking for the usual feedback from others that have this plane.
Likewise, I'll post items as I find them during the build and flight tests.

P-51B 02-25-2004 09:20 AM

RE: World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang

If you're talking about the new one in the Petie scheme, please post some photos. I am interested to see if it is done in baby/tarheel blue like it appears in the ads, or if they used the correct dark blue color.

What do you think of the ARF so far?

taildraggerdave 02-25-2004 06:22 PM

I'll post some photos this evening. It's the "Petie 2nd" version. I have always been fond of World Models' ARF's. (Had some problems with them also[:o] ) So far this ARF looks great. They have basically scaled down their giant scale P-51---It has 2 aluminum wing joining tubes and the wing halves are glued together. It has flaps. It has an airfoiled rudder and horizontal!!!! It takes a single retract servo and I have one of the new JR servos that are 260 oz torque, so that should be fine. It also has the traditional non-scale WM tailwheel. Thanks for the interest and I'll be back later..........

taildraggerdave 02-26-2004 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo of the fuselage with the cowl put on the front.

Richard L. 02-26-2004 09:55 AM

Hmmm, that blue sure looks darker and better than the lighter blue in the ads. The plane still has WM familiar boxy square fuse. Looks good though.

SunShyne 02-27-2004 01:20 PM

I just saw the ad for it in the new MAN, id love to see more pics of it! Looks like it might be a nice alternative to the 60 sized Stang from H9

taildraggerdave 02-29-2004 05:20 PM

I had the maiden flight today and the plane flew excellent. Very stable and fast with a Saito 1.20 installed. Only a couple clicks of trim to get it hands off. I put in full flaps and took it up high to watch it stall. Holding full back elevator and a bit of aileron correction, I could get it to mush forward. No nasty tip stalling even very slow. I'll post some assembly photos here shortly. Landing was slow and uneventful. I plan to remove the gear and epoxy the retract bays as a precaution.

taildraggerdave 02-29-2004 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the photos: The first one has the new style aileron mounts included in the hardware package. The others are servo and fuel tank layout. I used all the factory hardware and everything went well. I set the CG at the factory recommended spec of 4.5inches.

fredscz 03-01-2004 12:06 AM

RE: World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Did you use the stock exhaust? How did it balance? Did you have to add any lead to the tail?
Fred B

taildraggerdave 03-01-2004 01:47 AM

I use a Perry Pump for fuel (shaker style pump) and use the stock exhaust pipe and muffler from Saito. I cut the end of the muffler off and ground it flat to follow the lines of the cowl. Now it is more like a megaphone type exhaust with the muffler mod.
It balanced right on CG at 4.5 inches by placing the battery just behind the wing mounting area in the empannage. I put a small piece of 1/32" birch in the floor to strenghten the balsa so the battery wouldn't blow through it during my high G turns ;)
I added no lead to balance. Final weight came out at 9 pounds, 3 ounces.

cometravi 03-03-2004 01:54 AM

Hi Dave,
I'm planning to get this plane too. Needed some advise. Will an ASP 91 4s be enough for this bird as WM recommended engines are always on the lower side (much like microsofts recommended hardware & software requirements!!!!). The other alternative I have is the WM spitfire 60 which is a wee bit smaller but a lot lighter and is rated for a 70 4S,which means a 91 4s will make it rock.

Also could you post some more pictures of your bird?

How are your retracts behaving? Will they be ok for a grass or compressed mud field? Whats the all up weight of your bird?

It is funny though that yours is really the only post that talks of the WM 60 size mustang petie. Was this bird not too well accepted?

Thanks in advance.

rcflyertwo 03-26-2004 10:33 PM

[8D] Hello I too am interested in getting this plane and I will be putting an MDS 78 two stroke in it. Should be enough power. I would like to know how the retracts are working out on yours?? I will be flying off a grass field and that would be my biggest concern as to how they would hold up on grass. thanks Butch in Niagara Falls

taildraggerdave 03-27-2004 12:28 AM

I taxi through grass now and then but that is all. The retracts are ok. Definitely use epoxy to reinforce the gear bays. Remove the retracts from the wing panels and smear a bunch of 15 or 30 minute epoxy in there. I also wicked thin CA into all the joints first. Let it dry and you should be fine. I still really like this plane.................

cometravi 03-29-2004 12:13 AM

hey dave, would a 1.20 4s work just as well without a perry pump also even if the tank is mounted a little aft like you have done in ur mustang?

taildraggerdave 03-29-2004 12:34 AM

I found that the Perry pump allowed me to turn in the mixture screw a couple complete turns. I think I was at 5 turns out on the original Dago Red with this same engine and putting the Perry pump on let me turn it in quite a bit. The exhaust residue looked like it had been running very lean in flight even at 5 turns so I felt the pump was mandatory. I was using large fuel line as well (before and after the pump installation)
Try it without the pump and see what you think. As always, your results may vary.............

cometravi 04-01-2004 08:05 AM

Thanks... will let u know how I go. My mustang is arriving on the 5th :D engine shoud be in around the same time.

marks90004 04-03-2004 12:09 AM

I'm trying to decide between the WM P-51 vs. the Hanger 9 P-51D. Both are 60 size and look nice. I've seen both in flight, and they seem to be equally matched. Which one would you guys go for and why? What qualities does one have over the other? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Richard L. 04-03-2004 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: marks90004

I'm trying to decide between the WM P-51 vs. the Hanger 9 P-51D.

Which one would you guys go for and why?
I would go for the WM P-51 for three reasons:

1) Flaps (who the hell doesn't want flaps on a warbird?)
2) Color scheme. The H9 color scheme looks like turd.
3) Airfoil shaped tail feathers.

marks90004 04-03-2004 12:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. World Models seems to be everyone's favorite. I'm shoppin' for one right now. BTW, would you know where to get WM P-51 60 for a decent price. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any online stores you recommend. Thanks again.

taildraggerdave 04-03-2004 01:52 AM

Hobby Zone in Glendale is where I got mine. Talk to Edwin and tell him Dave sent you.

marks90004 04-03-2004 10:11 AM

Great. Thanks for all the help. I'll check 'em out.

cometravi 06-14-2004 01:19 AM

Got my WM P-51 2nd yesterday...The finishing and covering job looks very good. Its got all the holes, threaded inserts etc which will make the building a breeze i guess. Its a good stand off scale model no panel lines rivets etc, the pilot also looks kinda cool but somehow does not evoke the WW2 nostalgia. basically a good first warbird. I will be putting the Magnum 120 FS like Dave has but i wont be moving the tank aft. The prop choice will be a 15 x 8 or a 16 x 5. Most of the stock hardware looks ok but i will be reinforcing the firewall and retract bays with epoxy just to be on the safe side. The plastic clevises will go into the bin to be replaced by metal clevises. High torque servos for rudder and elevator and standard S 3001 BB servos for ailerons and flaps. Futaba 136G for retracts.

Tried a mock fit of the engine yesterday. The carby lid lever of my engine kinda touches one of the screws at the back of the mount. Btw this is my first 4 stroke. What is that carby flip lid used for? to kill the engine? or to protect from dust etc while not running?

Cheers....

cruzomatic 07-21-2004 02:22 PM

Any updates for this thread out there? I'm looking at this plane as well.

viper21 07-21-2004 03:36 PM

Hi Dave, I didnt see this post before when I posted my thread asking about the same airplane. It looks real nice and I am going to buy one to fly while I build my TF 1/5 Kit P51D. I like the color scheme on the new Pettie as Richard points out the blue looks darker than the add and I think its better looking.

My question is this will my new in box OS 91 Surpass II pumped four stroke fly the airplane well? Its the stock OS pump the same one Richard has in his Kyosho Corsair? With a Slimline inverted Pitts muffler?
Thanks Viper
PS: Can I install Robo Struts on the stock retracts and if not would someone know which retracts to buy that will accept oleos or retracts with them installed?

taildraggerdave 07-21-2004 08:07 PM

I'm sure your 90 size will fit as I still have a Saito 1.20 in mine. You could get the robostruts that setscrew onto your wire struts or the complete mechanism along with the robostruts. Check their site for part numbers.