RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Real Warbird Fun (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/21073-real-warbird-fun.html)

Hossfly 12-03-2001 03:53 PM

Real Warbird Fun

How much FUN do you have with Your Warbird? Well, let me tell you about REAL fun. That is Scale Warbird Racing where you get 50% of your score from standoff scale static judging and 50% of the score from the racing. Your airplane is fairly safe in that the takeoffs are made one at a time and the race starts from behind a chase plane.
There is an AMA SIG, Scale Warbird Racing Association, (SWRA) that promotes this event and is a popular item in the Southwest.
Down here near Houston, TX, lil' ol' JeteroRC Club has started an off shoot of the SWRA event.
We have revised rules for wing area / engine size. Translates to making it easier to use off the shelf products.
We are not as fast as SWRA and do not emphasize the racing speed so much. Translates to we are technology impaired ref. SWRA.
We do not get as deep in the static judging as SWRA. Translated means all the ARFs are welcome. A refinished ARF can do well in our static judging. Top Scale was an ARF at our last event, Oct. 27, simply with additional markings.
We allow any prop/recip. aircraft that had a military designation (darn near everything), or raced in any racing event and was active after 1935 (Hughes H-1 OK) either in civil or military colors. (Military colors do get a few bonus static points.)
Our max weight is 15#, max engine size is 1.30 ci. for single 2 stroke, and 1.85 total ci. for 4 stroke, gas, or multi-engine.
We fly 3 to 4 rounds and the meet is 1 day.
The ideal racer is one that: 1. Can fly repeated flights without major maintenance, 2. Is flown by a pilot that doesn't *Cut* and doesn't pass the chase plane during the race start. (I cut and pass CP) 3. Has a reasonably documented static score.
You need not even win a heat to do well. The speed fanatics will cut enough to lower themselves down. Many times slow/reliable machines are the only ones to finish the heat.
Jetero's Cash Classic will again happen on Saturday, April 6th,'02. There are $800 in cash and $200 in merchandise awards just waiting for someone to claim them. Event limited to first 16 pilots to register after Mar. 15. AMA Sanction applied for.
This event constitutes real Warbird FUN. Come and Race or start your own at your club.

Horrace Cain, CD

desmobob 12-04-2001 01:58 AM

Real Warbird Fun

That sounds like a blast! If I happen to hit the lottery during the long, cold upstate NY winter, I'll head down to TX to give it a try!

I sometimes wish the club I belonged to was larger, so we could do some stuff like that....

magnum 12-04-2001 02:10 AM

Real Warbird Fun

Sounds like fun.

I am more into it just for fun. Not really competition. The other flyers would probably appreciate that too:D