RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2671070-kmp-new-spitfire-mk-xiv.html)

BlueMax3 06-10-2005 05:51 PM

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Ian,

Thanks for the nice pictures. What is the wingspan?

Travis

bullet65 06-10-2005 06:30 PM

ian,
sweet,thankyou for the update.i like it very much.i was not trying to be rude about update just excited about the spit.i have wanted to get a larger spit as i have a 60 size but would like a nice arf as this to fly till i actualy build up the nerve to start builing more scale kits and this looks to be the ticket.thank you again.

Richard L. 06-10-2005 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

The Spitfire has now been painted and weathered for the box art, the model is now in production, so prepare to enjoy.

Very nice. I cannot wait until it hits the states.

vik 06-11-2005 02:12 AM

The prototype looks great
I´m interested how will the production model look like

Dave03B 06-11-2005 07:35 AM

I've just finished my Flair Spit, and am now really annoyed as that one looks gorgeous! I have to have one.

Kmot 06-11-2005 11:36 AM

What are the final specs on this model?

Radcliffe 06-27-2005 10:49 PM

So what are we going to use for power ??? Rad

Richard L. 06-27-2005 11:16 PM

The plane was test flown successfully with an RCV .91CD. I'm going to use either a YS 110FZ or a YS 120FZ in mine.

Woody 51 06-28-2005 07:48 AM

Ian, Do you know whether the production version will have decals for 610 Squadron as per your prototype?

Reason? A good friend of mine flew DW-G when he was with 610 before going on to 41 and then 616 Squadron (Gloster Meteor III,) just before the ending of WW2 hostilities.

He shot down an AR234 and an ME262 while flying Spits. The Arado when he was flying with 41 Squadron and the ME262 with 610 (Spit XIV's.)

I would love to finish a Spit XIV in 610 Squadron markings for him to see.

YT International 06-28-2005 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woody,

The Spit will come with the same decals as the prototype. The reason why the Hurricane came with different markings to the prototype was that the factory finalised the production before we had a chance to forward our new artwork.

We flew the Spit at Wings and Wheels last weekend. Several people commented on the flying characteristics after the display, especially the landings which are very floaty without any signs of tip stall. There are several new Warbirds due for release in the near future. Watch this space for more details.

Wilson
YT International.

Dai Phan 06-29-2005 10:27 AM

Ian,

Are you the designer of the KMP Hurricane and Spit? If so, I must offer you my heartfelt sincere thanks to the quality warbirds that you have brought to all of us. One thing that still bothers me is the included retracts that are included in the Hurricane. I find them even with the upgraded version that they do not perform well and must be replaced with market set. Will the same set of retracts be fitted in the Spit? Any plans to improve these retracts? I understand that perhaps the retracts are not within your responsibility but I have to inquire anyway. Dai Phan

Richard L. 06-29-2005 11:16 AM

YT International, the Spit is a beaut.

Dave03B 06-29-2005 11:19 AM

I agree. Saw it @ W&W. ;)

BlueMax3 06-29-2005 12:19 PM

Looks great! A real nice job! I will use a small gasser, perhaps a Roto25. Anyone want to buy a GSP Spitfire with a Saito 100? LOL!

Travis

Idigbo 06-29-2005 06:37 PM

Cheers for your kind words! I was indeed involved in the design of the Hurricane and Spitfire for YT International, plus others to come, so keep a watching!

They were designed by YT for ESM, the company that manufactures them.

KMP is the US distributor, for which you must thank for STILL including the retracts you are all so wonderfully HAPPY with!

In the UK, YT International have realised there is a problem with the retracts and are not including them in the kits, unless the customer is still willing to give them a go after the advice not to is given. We have been developing another set of retracts for ESM, which are being tested at the moment, they are made from much better aluminium, using CNC technology and the set I have look very good. They are a slightly bigger unit, to cope with the new range of aeroplanes being developed. If all is good with these units, they will be included in the kits, although, in the UK, they will always be optional as it seems some modellers have spare units available.

Cheers again, Ian.

Idigbo 06-29-2005 06:39 PM

Dave03B, what did you think of the Spits performance on an RCV 91 CD?

Ian.

Dave03B 06-30-2005 07:02 AM

Hi Ian, I thought it went very well. I didn't know it had a 91 but it flew very scale. I didnt see the whole flight, as I only saw it flying from near the boat area (dont know why I was over there!!) I saw the hurricane flight and that impressed me. My friend has just bought a hurricane and was pleased to see one in the air. Shame the wheels were down! I have the Flair Spitfire, but for how long I can go without the new YT one is the real question!

Cheers for some great models,
Dave

EASYTIGER 06-30-2005 09:15 AM

Cheers for your kind words! I was indeed involved in the design of the Hurricane and Spitfire for YT International, plus others to come, so keep a watching!

They were designed by YT for ESM, the company that manufactures them.

KMP is the US distributor, for which you must thank for STILL including the retracts you are all so wonderfully HAPPY with!

In the UK, YT International have realised there is a problem with the retracts and are not including them in the kits, unless the customer is still willing to give them a go after the advice not to is given. We have been developing another set of retracts for ESM, which are being tested at the moment, they are made from much better aluminium, using CNC technology and the set I have look very good. They are a slightly bigger unit, to cope with the new range of aeroplanes being developed. If all is good with these units, they will be included in the kits, although, in the UK, they will always be optional as it seems some modellers have spare units available.

Cheers again, Ian.
I'm curious as to the process...the plane was designed, drawn, and prototyped in england?

Idigbo 06-30-2005 10:03 AM

Got it in one Easy Tiger.

We draw the outlines, sections etc over here, make canopy plugs if neccessary, that lot is sent to the factory, they (ESM) make it, then the prototype is shipped back to us in the next shipment. We then finish it, alter / improve if neccessary, and the production models are built just right. This system is working very well, but we have to be ahead of the game all of the time, as the development takes time.

Ian.

Dave03B 06-30-2005 10:21 AM

In the UK, YT International have realised there is a problem with the retracts and are not including them in the kits, unless the customer is still willing to give them a go after the advice not to is given.
When we ordered the Hurricane from Als, we ordered the kit with air retracts. We weren't told that the retracts were poor quality. If my mate had known, he would have bought without, and purchased an aftermarket set.:eek:

Dave

BlueMax3 06-30-2005 03:14 PM

Ian,

Thanks for the explanation of how these planes are developed, distributed and sold. My hat is off to you for your excellent designs of the Hurricane and forthcoming Spit. Do you also determine the size of the planes to be made? Are there plans to introduce any larger versions, perhaps in the 80-100" range that have the same scale lines? It seems that the 70-72" range has been a "sweet spot" for sales purposes, but perhaps a larger version could be considered.

Thanks for your work in making such excellent ARF planes available,

Travis

EASYTIGER 06-30-2005 08:03 PM

Which other ones, besides the Hurricane and Spit, have you designed?

Richard L. 07-01-2005 01:35 AM

I believe they currently have the Me109 and the Hawker Typhoon on the drawing board.

Dave03B 07-01-2005 03:03 AM

Hope there is an Me109. People in my club are longing to see one. So far we can only plan to do routines with like sized Spit and Hurricane models;)

Idigbo 07-01-2005 04:09 AM

An Me109 is coming next, with a couple more in the pipeline, not allowed to say any more, but the Me should be test flown within the next couple of weeks.

Ian.