RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2671070-kmp-new-spitfire-mk-xiv.html)

Richard L. 02-17-2005 10:41 PM

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Does anyone have spy pictures of the upcoming Spitfire Mk XIV from KMP? This Spit is the long nose version with the Griffon engine. The plane is listed on KMP price list, but no pictures.

Timoteo 02-18-2005 09:25 AM

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Here you go:

http://www.*************.co.uk/4um/i...&topic=14251.0

Richard L. 02-18-2005 09:44 AM

Thanks for the link. That Spit looks decent, accept for the canopy as someone already pointed out in that thread. The canopy looks similar to the one on the CMP Spit.

SpitfireMKI 02-18-2005 10:05 AM

Oh boy ! What can I sell that I don't like ?

G-26 should motivate that puppy quite well, looks like she's got real flaps on her too.

bbuss 02-18-2005 12:19 PM

The other thing that looks wrong is the Vertical stab profile. The late mark Spits had the stretched fuselage to offset the the extended nose and the Vertical stab had a more pronounced pointed profile. I have one in my Battle of Britain Memorial Flight screen saver but not individually. If I find one I will post it.

bbuss 02-18-2005 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found these thumbnails, but I think it shows what I mean

Richard L. 02-18-2005 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also found this thumbnail:

SpitfireMKI 02-19-2005 08:10 AM

bbuss, are you sure they stretched the fuse behind the cockpit ? I do not have my documentation handy but I always thought the MkXIV was based on the MkVIII fuse but had the nose extended..........they certainly extended the chord on the rudder. I was unaware of an aft fuse change. I had the opportunity to get in the cockpit (dream come true !) of the FR MkXIV out in Camarillo,CA. Let me tell you, that nose goes on forever ! Having flown bugsmasher cessna's, that long snoot is very intimidating.

RichardL, do you mean the cowling ? How can you make out the canopy in those photos ?

As for the planeIt looks the part of a MkXIV, I think more so if the long spinner was on it. That will be a tough piece to track down because a MkXIV ain't a MkXIV without it, hope the BT fits. The cowling bulges look about right for the plane as well. With the full split flaps, more scale vertical and longer nose, it should fly much better than the CMP plane.

Being a Spitfire nut, in the ARF world that appears to be a wonderful plane, of course production may change that. Up till this plane, all the Spit arf's are too distorted in my opinion. The CMP model just didn't look right in the tail area and the "flaps" were a joke, it's rudder coupling was some of the worst I have ever experienced in a warbird. I just have never been happy with the any of the ARF versions. Maybe that will change !

I think once my Mustang 1.50 is complete she'll be on the "block" for sale. That will fund this project quite nicely !

S1

Richard L. 02-19-2005 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: SpitfireMKI

RichardL, do you mean the cowling ? How can you make out the canopy in those photos ?

S1, I mean the canopy. You can see the canopy better in the photos on page 2 of that thread. The canopy on the model doesn't "bubble" up as high as the real canopy and blends too smoothly into the rear non sliding part.

SpitfireMKI 02-19-2005 12:35 PM

I missed page two, yeah I see what you mean, that really does look like the CMP part. Maybe the BT canopy would fit or could be made to fit. The rest of the plane looks real good though. I'm sure if you check the scale dimensions there's lots wrong, but they seem to blend in. I'm not expecting exact scale, I just really want a mid size gasser spit. As it sits now, it looks the part of a MkXIV very well. But then again you hear all the horror stories of how they get changed at the Mfg when the production run starts.

S1

I did some further checking and it appears the MkXIV was built from the MkVIII fuse and no rear fuse lengthing was done, only the nose, (firewall forward) and rudder mods. I think the bubble canopy model throws you off making it look longer. It appears some may have been made from MkIXs too, although they would receive the retractable tail wheel.

Richard L. 02-19-2005 10:02 PM

Hopefully the young bloke over in the UK will make a mold to produce a more accurate looking canopy. I don't like the slip on cowl either, but I guess I can live with it.

Richard L. 02-20-2005 10:07 PM

The Spit is not even done, yet the chaps over there are already talking about doing the Typhoon of the same size. I can't wait [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

SpitfireMKI 02-21-2005 07:55 AM

Blast ! Now I'll have to sell two !

That would be a tough decision if they let them out at the same time. I know we've both been after for a tiffie ! G-26 would go in there too, real nice

S1

Richard L. 02-21-2005 10:53 AM

The Tiffie would need some serious nose weight, so it looks like the G-26 would be a great match. I will use a gasser in mine also.

Idigbo 02-21-2005 05:39 PM

"Hopefully the young bloke over in the UK will "

So pleased you think I am young!!!
So called mates reckon I look like an OLD Crusty the Clown[&o]

The Spitfire Prototype has a couple of minor detail deviations from the original drawings, all will be sorted in production, thats what the prototype bit is for, so be gentle! The rudder is pretty accurate as it is now, although when it came to me it was out on the top outline. Most Mk14 didn't have the very pointed rudder. The canopy plug has been made and sent to the factory, as the one they sent was really not the best shape, the rear bit wasn't flat, and the blown hood was the wrong shape too. To stop me getting the same comments/ridicule at the field, and until the correct factory (ESM) version comes, I have a BT canopy on order, in the hope it isn't that much too small (bt is 69" span, this is 72", so it should be OK) There were no Spits with a stretched rear fuselage, although the fin and rudder chord was increased on later versions, including the Mk14
The model is now painted and has most of the gear in, but has not yet flown as the box pics must come first. As this is the first, I haven't even put a tailwheel on it, just a small skid, so it will not be visible in the air. The object is to see how well it is constructed and how well it flies, nothing else, but I am looking forward to getting a production version which can be fitted with a retract tailwheel, and a scale finish and details. I have been instructed by Wilson at YT International, who the model was designed for, that I can't post any more pics[:o] but we might sneak a couple out of the beast flying, it'd be a shame not to!

As for the Typhoon, this will be much later on as we have others coming first, but I really can't say anything on them.

We will keep you posted, Ian.

Peter_OZ 02-21-2005 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hmm dunno about the KMP MkXIV but I have a nice Mk XII - this was the original Griffon version. Basically a Mk V Fuz mated to the Griffon.

Haven't flown it yet as I'm about to strip it back to redo the detailing and I have to redo the wing tips as it originally had thge cut off tips and however added tips on got the profile toally wrong.

Has a G38 in the nose apparantly flew like a dream. 90" wingspan so a decent size.

cheers
Peter

SpitfireMKI 02-21-2005 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Peter,

What's the weight on that XII, have you flown her before ? Seems like a lot of fighter for a G-38 ? She is a beautiful plane for sure, 91 (Nigeria) Squadron, same lot I'm modeling my XIV after, Jean Maridor's plane (DL-F) to be exact. Lost his life when he shot at a V-1 too close, took his wing off at low altitude.

Idigbo,

Crusty huh ? I guess as long as you don't fart dust it'll be ok.....:D:D:D

Seriously, that's decent looking spitty arf, hope they get that puppy to us here in the states soon, before summer ? Do you have a spinner for it yet ? BT's fit ?

S1

Richard L. 02-21-2005 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

We will keep you posted, Ian.
Thanks Ian. I can't wait to get my hands on both the Spit and the Tiffie. Please accept my apology for calling you a "young bloke" ;)

Peter_OZ 02-22-2005 01:25 AM

not sure of the exact weight but it is very light for it's size, I'd say about 20 - 22lbs. Glass fuz and built up wing.

so with that huge spit wing the G38 is plenty. I have not flown her yet but a close friend has and he says it flies beautiful. He has same plane but done as a MkXIV with a ST3250 in the nose so his will have a bit more vertical then mine.

cheers
Peter

SpitfireMKI 02-22-2005 07:04 AM

I was curious because my chippy weighs about 17lbs with an 89" span and a g38, more power than scale. At 20-22 I could see the spit not being bad at all. I was afraid you were going to say something like 25-30 !

S1

bbuss 02-22-2005 02:21 PM

I too have had the oportunity to be around the real thing. I used to work for Airworks Services down at Hurn Airport, back when Pontius was a Pilot, and I helped to maintain a two seat then owned by John Fairey. As you say the nose seems to go on for ever and the wing is huge, acres of it. I maintained the radio gear, good old STR9.

SpitfireMKI 02-22-2005 05:29 PM

Now that you mention it, that was a lot of wing, lots of chord and a long way to the tip. No problem imagining myself flying it ! Did you ever get a chance in the twin seater ?

S1

SpitfireMKI 02-22-2005 05:33 PM

:D

Peter_OZ 02-22-2005 05:35 PM

G'day S1 & bbuss,,

sould like an ex Airforce clan seting up here. Yes I did 10 years in the RAAF as a RADTECHG. Did not work on aircraft but in the field of ground electronic engineering, nav aids, radar both ATC and AD, comms in general etc etc.

I can still remember how to tune the old GRT-802 - dip, peak, dip dip, peak!! Huge ceramic valves coupled to tuned cavity filters. built like a tank and not a uP in sight!

Now my saying that the Spit is 20 - 22lbs is only a guestimate based on I had the wing on once and had to carry it. It could be lighter. I'd have to wack it on the scales to be sure.

smurfjet 02-22-2005 06:47 PM

Hey Guys,

A local flying buddy of mine flew a Yellow spit on a G-38. It weighed 26.5 pounds ready to go. To my surprise, it actually flew very well. The only limiting factor at that weight was the vertical. If you just wanted to do scale flyby's at that weight, it is a good choice in that you can hide most of the engine. You just don't have the power to do big elegant loops like a full scale. Peter, if your's comes in around 20 pounds, it will fly very nice on the 38 IMHO.

Dave

Peter_OZ 02-22-2005 08:19 PM

Dave,
like all WWII fighters the griffon spit is an energy aircraft. To perform a large loop or other vertical manourves require the storage of energy by way of trading height for speed before going vertical.

the Spit that I have has flown very successfully many times and by all acounts it is more then scale in performance so I have no doughts on it's flyability with the G38.

cheers
Peter

rrudytoo 02-24-2005 04:30 PM

What I absolutely love about this plane the most, aside from it being a Spit, is that it came in the "white". I really hope it is offered in this condition as an option as I refuse to own a "belly button".

Al

Richard L. 02-25-2005 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

As for the Typhoon, this will be much later on as we have others coming first, but I really can't say anything on them.
From reading the other threads, I got the impression that the 109 will come first? Man oh man [sm=thumbup.gif]

lownloud 02-25-2005 11:55 AM

If they made a 109, I would buy two. Right now.

BlueMax3 02-25-2005 12:02 PM

I third that and would also be very interested in a 109. It looks like KMP has a good lineup of WWII planes in the pipeline!

Travis

Richard L. 02-25-2005 12:42 PM

I certainly hope the YT forum moderator over in ************* wasn't joking when he mentioned the 109.

Richard L. 02-25-2005 08:03 PM

The question now is, which version of the 109? E or G or ???

catboater 02-26-2005 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know you guys probably don't think much of the WM Giant Spit, but it has the flattened canopy and enlarged fin and rudder. It's actually modeled after the MK 24's that the RAF had in Thailand after the war. It's wing is very large too.
I wasn't that impressed when I first got it but now that it's built and I've flown it, I'm very pleased with it. It's powered with a YS 1.40L and it weighs 16 lbs. and 2 ozs. I had to add 28 ozs. of lead to the tank compartment to get it balanced. Scale flight is at 1/2 throttle.
Richard, you had the .60 size didn't you? Did your cowls paint match the Ultra Coat? Mine sure doesn't.
Here are some pics.

Richard L. 02-26-2005 03:09 AM

Yes, I had the .60 size one. I didn't like the looks of it and the painted covering. My cowl paint did not match the Ultra Coat.

bullet65 03-04-2005 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
richard,hopefully a g model.white tail with red tullip.

Richard L. 03-05-2005 01:18 AM

I have a feeling it's going to be a "Battle of Britain" Me109, which means it will be an "E" model.

SpitfireMKI 03-05-2005 08:02 AM

Is that all bad ?

RLefebvre 03-05-2005 08:47 AM

I would hope it's an earlier model 109. I like the square-ish noses on them. Makes them distinctive for the period.

I seriously considered that WM Spit before I bought my SE-5a... but I just didn't like the looks of it. Long nose, bubble canopy with lower turtledeck, no wing fillets... just doesn't "look" like a Spit to me. Looks more like a Mustang in camo. I know it's modelled after a Mk24 which is a real plane. Which is not to insult you, I'm sure it's a fine plane. It just doesn't get me excited.

I've got a Decathlon and now this SE-5a. Both moderately hard to fly. After these I think I'll be ready for a real warbird. I'm saving up for the KMP Hurricane first, then I'll probably get this Spit when it comes out.

I wish they would make a Mosquitto too. That'd be a nice hanger.... KMP Hurricane, Spit, Mossie, and a Typhoon... The Typhoon, it'd be great if they put armament pylons on it.

SpitfireMKI 03-05-2005 09:06 AM

As a spitfire snob, I do agree about the WM spitty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it flies good then it's a great start into scale fighters. In fact, with those items compromised, it may be a better flying model.

S1

catboater 03-05-2005 11:07 AM

FYI, My WM Spit does have wing fillets. It is actually pretty close in appearence to the full scale it is modeled after.
My biggest complaint is that the paint they used for the cowl and canopy is a very poor match.