RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Hangar9 .60 P51 Which retracts? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3058048-hangar9-60-p51-retracts.html)

Biggles2 03-17-2006 10:53 AM

RE: Hangar9 .60 P51 Which retracts?

Thanks for that I will give them a go.... by the way your the guy on the rare bear thread too...
thanks for your input you've really helped...
steve

BaldEagel 03-20-2006 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys

New to this thread, I have the H9 Miss America still in original retract condition, I just changed the struts for real piano wire no more problems.

On the PCM or FM debate just for my 1/2 penny worth, PCM does not cure the glitch problem it just hides it from view, if you are getting glitching on FM you must cure this before going to PCM the problem is still there, safety first always.

Had a glitch problem on my YAK and semi cured it as below photo, but only totally cured when I put the aerial up the wing.

Mike

Biggles2 03-24-2006 02:09 PM

Whats sort of duration do you get out of your H9 mustang with a Saito 100 and how big is the stock supplied tank?

Rip n Bank 03-25-2006 12:24 AM

Steve,

The H9 60 P-51 comes with a 14 oz. tank. H9 makes an 18 oz. rectangular tank that will fit (tightly) into the space, if you want more duration.

A fully broken-in Saito 100 with a 14x8 prop and a 16 oz. tank (combo I have on my UltraStick 60) will fly for 12-14 minutes with a significant portion of that at full throttle, and still have about a 3 minute reserve.

Bo

kilroy52 03-25-2006 03:00 AM

I have a Saito 100 in mine with a 16oz fuel tank, I turn a 15x4 Zinger Four Blade prop. I also use a C-Tronics on board Glow Driver.

I use Cool Power 15% fuel and fly 16 min and still have a good 5 or 6 min of fuel to land with.

I fly at about 3/4 throttle most of the time and have power to spair. I don't like to fly this plane real fast, I just fly it at around at scale speed. It looks and sounds cool with that four blade prop.

When I chop the throttle to land, that prop will slow the plain down as if it had flaps, I LOVE IT

Don

Biggles2 03-26-2006 01:21 PM

Hi Kilroy 52

hat size is the stock fuel tank supplied in the kit ?
Did you any have any problems fitting a larger tank ?
I ask the question because someone else on this thread claims they ony get six minutes of flight with a saito 100 and stock tank.
I hardly seems to be worth the trouble for six minutes.
Iv ordered a H9 P51 , a saito 100 , im fitting the Keleo semi scale exhaust too.
Biggles 2

kilroy52 03-27-2006 03:30 PM

Biggles 2

I don't rember what size the stock tank was, 12 or 14 oz?? If someone is only getting 6 min from that, thay might be runing realy rich or wide open all the time, or bouth.....

I had to make the oppening a little biger but it fits in great plenty of room.

Cool on the Keleo exhaust............

Don

Rip n Bank 03-27-2006 05:41 PM

Again, the stock H9 Mustang tank is 14 oz. My apologies for not stating it clearly 4 posts ago... ;)

If you can find the H9 18oz. rectangular tank (at a LHS; didn't see it on Horizon web page), it will slide between the existing formers with a gap on each side about the thickness of two layers of electrical tape. It's about 3/4" longer than the stock tank in it's rearward extension.

No way a Saito 100 gets 6 minutes of air time on a 14 oz tank, even at continuous full throttle, unless it's running WAY rich (literally spewing droplets of gas). Maybe that poster was doing his new engine break-in in the air, instead of on the ground (or on an engine stand), like they should.

Bo

Biggles2 03-28-2006 11:02 AM

Thanks for that , I think I will go with the supplied tank based on what you've said. Looking back you state the size , my guess is that I was having a BLONDE MOMENT [:o] Im goimg to change the retracts with robart , Iv always rated them ...thanks for that

Rip n Bank 03-31-2006 09:04 AM

B2,

No worries!

A Robart upgrade is a fairly popular mod w/ this airplane. I went with the 609HD mechanicals, but many go with much higher-end alternatives. I simply didn't want the gear to be 33% of my total airplane investment!

Good luck!

Bo

sevans16 07-05-2007 08:02 PM

I am looking at upgradin to the 609HD gear. I am wondering if: I should heat and bend the wire for the axle or use the axles that slide on the strut wire and have a set screw to hold them?

Rip n Bank 07-05-2007 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sevans16

I am looking at upgradin to the 609HD gear. I am wondering if: I should heat and bend the wire for the axle or use the axles that slide on the strut wire and have a set screw to hold them?
While it's harder to do, I recommend heating and bending the strut. Think about the torque on an axle held by a set screw when landing.....'nuff said!

Be sure to carefully follow the included Robart instructions for tempering the bend, or it WILL become brittle. Been there, done that, and have the broken strut to prove it!

I'd recommend building a jig to do it right. I mounted the strut in the retract mechanism and then screwed the mechanism to a cut block mounted on a larger board. I then mounted a metal plate (actually, a couple of stacked, used door hinges, which conveniently come with screw holes for mounting) at the right height so that the retracted strut lay flat across it's top. The outer edge of the hinges is positioned where the bend has to be.

Heat the strut up with a blow torch (I used a butane one) and bend it fairly sharply around the edge, axle pointing down. Don't worry about getting it perfectly straight down as you can always loosen the set screw in the retract mechanism and rotate it. While it was still dull red, I lightly tapped on the top, and side of the strut bend to keep those flat against the plate. If there's too big a radius on the bend, then any inner wheel collar will stop sliding onto the axle well before it meets the vertical strut, resulting in the wheel mounting too far out from the strut, and hence, too far into the wing (when retracted).

Hope this helps!

Bo

bigtim 07-05-2007 11:32 PM

funny my stock ones were holding up pretty good until I made a quick turn and one of the wire struts bent sideways.
well I wasn't ready to replace so when I straitened the wire strut I tempered the wire(heated with a tourch and quenched in water) well low and behold those wire struts have held up quite good since.
the wire is so soft when they come out of the box you could bend them with little effort mine are now pretty solid although I was wondering if anyone had drilled out the stock gear mech.to accept a larger strut leg,I know there is a metal insert with a screw to tighten around the strut leg that would need to be drilled out,anyone tried this instead of a total replacement.

docfly 07-26-2007 05:32 PM

I found a good deal on a Miss America h9 p51 that is still new in the box but it looks like it has been laying around for several years. Does anyone know if there were many updates to this product from when they originally release this model?

A 4 liter V8 eater 08-27-2007 10:57 AM

Hey 270,
I've got alot of time and money invested in my H9 P-51 retracts. The mechanical portions are Frank Tiano's, the servo is a JR High Torque LP, the struts are Robart 7/16 offsets, and all the linkages etc have been beefed up. My question is what do you think can transfer over to the WM P-51? I have bought a YS DZ (Dingo) engine and it weights quite a bit more than the 1.10 FZ. I'm going to have to add alot of tailweight to compensate. I don't want my landing speed to be too high and I don't have much trust in flaperon mixing so that is why I want the WM P-51 (Real flaps). Obviously I'm going for all out speed and I also like how the WM has airfoil shaped control surfaces.

In all, What can I salvage from the Hangar 9 P-51 to put on the WM?

Richard L. 08-27-2007 11:08 AM

The WM .60 Mustang has flaps to slow you down on landing. It can land at walking pace with full flaps (I've seen it at my field).

SheriffBufordTJustice 10-05-2007 07:10 AM

I just ordered electric retracts from LADO, anyone using these?

miklos 10-05-2007 01:44 PM

I've seen a post on those retracts somewhere. You may want to try doing a search for LADO and see what comes up.

airborne14830 10-29-2007 08:42 AM

Does the Keleo have an exhaust nipple that is used to pressurized the fuel tank? Also, I have the same kit and heard how I must go up to 3/16 for a strudy retract since my field is grass as well.

How hard is it to change out the 5/32 gear to a 3/16 in the stock retract? Can anyone point me in the direction on where I can find the instruction on how to breakdown a retract and reassemble? I assuming buying a different type can be pretty expensive.

Thanks

BarracudaHockey 10-29-2007 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

Does the Keleo have an exhaust nipple that is used to pressurized the fuel tank? Also, I have the same kit and heard how I must go up to 3/16 for a strudy retract since my field is grass as well.
Yes

How hard is it to change out the 5/32 gear to a 3/16 in the stock retract? Can anyone point me in the direction on where I can find the instruction on how to breakdown a retract and reassemble? I assuming buying a different type can be pretty expensive.

Thanks
I went with the Frank Tiano arf retracts, about 100 bucks but very nicely machined, titanium struts, and problem free. http://www.franktiano.com