RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3109744-group-build-top-flite-giant-scale-f4u-corsair.html)

Auburn02 01-27-2012 10:37 AM

RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: vasek
It's for a BH with a wingspan of 90.94'' and 68.90'' long. What scale would that be?
Going off wingspan alone, that would make the BH about a 1/5.4 scale.

Made some headway on the tailwheel install. Here's the before:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6071/imagectv.jpg

And after removing that weight and adding a new former for the new tailwheel:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6910/imagelrd.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6973/imagevvm.jpg

Now I just need to attach the tailwheel and make sure it can move freely and has room for all the linkages, and I can call it done (for now), sheet in the bottom of the fuselage and get back to the wing.

I'll probably also brace the new former a bit with some balsa, maybe tying it into the former ahead of it for a little added rigidity.

vasek 01-27-2012 11:01 AM

RT, if you can find the file, I would love to see what was done. Thanks!V.

[email protected] ;)

ORIGINAL: rt3232

V

Don't know if you have the room but one of the guys made plans on how to build a scale tail wheel rettract unit that would fit, and from the fellowes that have them they all have worked well.
I think I still have a good file on my system after the computer crash, if you are intersted I'll try to look them up and send them along to you

Cheers Bob T

donnyman 01-28-2012 09:23 AM

RT 3232

All though I am not building the T.F. corsair I do have a corsair in the build cue Ziroli. that tail wheel article would be very nice, can you repost it here I need a copy

Thanks ...........DONNY

Fly2XS 01-28-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Donny,
You can look up the Earl Aune design and build it or you could contact DaddySam in this thread and he may have some. I bought (2) units from DaddySam and they are great!

booker-RCU 01-28-2012 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a tail wheel from Daddy Sam and I used an electric retract unit from Wingspanretracts.com to raise and lower the tail wheel. Works smooth and solid.

Galen

DaddySam 01-28-2012 04:51 PM

Galen,
That is one neat installation! I just changed out my Hitec 180 degree retract servo for a Hitec 5485 programmable. I adjusted the servo's throw to 180 degrees and slowed the retract down to 10%. The main and tail retracts now take about the same time to retract.
Sam
I could not resist fooling around with our new phones so we took a short video of the Corsair's retracts, etc. here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQf_KwLZSA[/youtube]

saramos 01-28-2012 07:55 PM

Great job!

Fly2XS 01-28-2012 07:58 PM

Great work Sam!
The timing looks great! Now all you need to do is to get one of the legs to lag behind the other just like we see every time an F4U takes off.
Do you have some flight video's?

booker-RCU 01-28-2012 08:47 PM

Good job Sam. Are the mains electric and if so how did you convert them?

Galen

DaddySam 01-29-2012 07:49 AM

Thanks for the kind words you guys! The mains are standard Robarts (air driven) with the Robart air control valve. I tried a restictor in one line but the operation seemed less "positive" and at this stage I am opting for reliability over realism (gasp!). I'm not sure if our winter here is as awful, I mean cold and snowy, as Minnesota, but I am having to content myself with a rare flying day now and again until my Tx "glove" (sort of a heated tent that houses the Tx) arrives from China. I hope to keep my skills up all winter (with foamies, my heli, and maybe an aerobat) and then get some flight video when the better weather gets here. By then I think we'll have a dual-membership in a club about an hour away where the weather should be 10-15 degrees warmer. So the short answer is no flight video (cause no flights, and no video equipment) until this spring! One nice thing is that I can say now that this model is finished other than dialing in the trims during flight. I really have no more excuses!
Sam

donnyman 01-30-2012 05:34 AM

Fly2xs

Thanks for the info.

I am collecting all the info and components for my build, having it all on hand before starting helps me complete what I have started

THANKS...............DONNY

acerc 02-02-2012 09:51 AM

Well I've been away for a little over a year. Thought I'd get something done. Justfinished fiberglassing the gear door's.
Looking forward to it DaddySam. Might not have been building but have been watching. Nice work.

Buckmeister 02-02-2012 10:28 AM

Reply to thboth comments below.

I tried a restictor in one line but the operation seemed less "positive" and at this stage I am opting for reliability over realism (gasp!).

Great work Sam!
The timing looks great! Now all you need to do is to get one of the legs to lag behind the other just like we see every time an F4U takes off.
Do you have some flight video's?

I'm sure there are variations of gear being staggered or simultaneous rising into the wing.
The following scale movie shows them going up simultaneously.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html

I'm sure many have seen this video before, It gets me motivated to get back to building.

Greaat Job Sam

RCPILOT78 02-02-2012 02:36 PM

DaddySam ... working gear and doors look great ... What type of actuation did you use for your gear doors ? they seem to work so smooth.

RCpilot78

DaddySam 02-03-2012 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I copied Gary M's method of the retracting gear pressing on a wire "lever" and shutting the doors. When the retracts lower there are springs that open them. Here's a pic of Gary's, which is so nice it puts my efforts to shame!

RCPILOT78 02-04-2012 06:01 AM

DaddySam thanks for the info I thought that was the system you used but I never saw it work so smooth. Thats the system I am currently installing and thanks for the pic. it illustrates the mechanism so well

rcpilot78

DaddySam 02-04-2012 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stood my Corsiar on it's nose and took a couple of pix. Here is what I did:

vasek 02-14-2012 06:10 AM

Where would one get a drop tank, bomb & a spare canopy?

Looked @ Tower, they have canopy for the small Corsair only[:o]

Thanks

DaddySam 02-14-2012 06:19 AM

Here's a link to the canopy:
http://www.top-flite.com/parts/topa0410pl.html

Thunderbolt47 02-14-2012 01:19 PM

If I ever get my Vac Former started and done ,I was thinking of making some drop tanks.
Kelly

RCPILOT78 02-14-2012 02:46 PM

DaddySam..Thanks again for the new pics...... I did them exactly the way you show and they work. I have been trying to put doors on mine since I built it about 4 years ago and I finally got them to work.

Your pics are all I needed... Thanks again Rcpilot78 Joe

DaddySam 02-14-2012 05:33 PM

Joe,
Now that is GREAT news! Your turn to post a pic or vid! Again, I have to divert the credit to Gary M.
Sam

rt3232 02-15-2012 06:09 PM

Hi guys

Was looking at my old hand written note's on the gear door system and from the notes I think the modeler that first used it (not that it realy matters) was a modeler by the name of doneysubacchue if my notes were/are right the thred is www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m 627400/tm.htm and as I recall every one followed with modes that worked smother and better. There is was a lot of good info that could be used in the t/f g/s build. This was back in 2005 about june as I recall.

But I have had 2 or more H/D craches so have lost a lot of copied pic's and notes

Hope this will help some of the new buileds also don't forget the INDEX on the first page of the thread it may ansure some of your questions/

Cheers Bob T

Fly2XS 02-19-2012 10:38 AM

Thanks Bob! You are a wealth of information!

vasek 02-25-2012 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me tap into this great collective knowledge one more time....

What is the vertical line near the canopy? some type of emergency lever marking?

I've seen it on several "late" models.

Thanks V.