RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3109744-group-build-top-flite-giant-scale-f4u-corsair.html)

rt3232 03-05-2015 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevegauth30 (Post 11996399)
Im still a bit confused about the pointing down part though, but as long as i know my wing will fly, im ok with it.

Steve and George
The comment Bob H made about the tip pointing down was in reference to the wash out in the tip. when you have you bird assembled and stand back from a wing tip the wing will look a bit twisted leading edge down.ie: tip pointing down
The reason I mentioned Post # 118 was Steve is in a good point to do this mod to the tip ribs so when he add's the tip block he will have the flat upper surface at the cord line , and the shaped lower surface at the lower cord line.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Cheers Bob T
Corsair Brotherhood # 6

PS as for the Index I see no need for a up date, but after having 2 computer crashes and loosing a lot of my notes I still us it for info.

stevegauth30 03-05-2015 02:14 PM

Ill definately be doing the tip mod. Id like this bird to be as scale as i can without going the SCALE route if you know what i mean. Im not too sure how much detail ill do yet. Im trying to keep this one light and i found out on the last couple of builds that detail equals weight. Ill just take it as it comes. Thanks Bob for the clarification.

rt3232 03-05-2015 06:50 PM

Steve go for it, also there is a rudder mod has to do with the trailing edge and the top curve but I have lost my notes and sketches on that but if you have the time look up "chad Vick" I think that is how he spells his name he would be the best person I can think of to t/t.

Cheers Bob T

stevegauth30 03-05-2015 06:55 PM

Chad Veich? Yep, he would be the one to know.

cjray 03-06-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by stevegauth30 (Post 11996619)
Chad Veich? Yep, he would be the one to know.

That's him. I had talked with him about possibly making a birdcage canopy for mine. I'm still hoping he'll have an opportunity to do that. I'm at a point with the fuse that I could actually use it to make sure the Turtle deck is the right shape, height, etc.

I'm with you, Steve. I want some scale, but not sure how far I want to go yet. I've just have to get my Focke Wulf out of the way and get back to building the Corsair. My fuse and tail surfaces are probably 90% completed, I've just got to build the wing.......and not screw it up.

stevegauth30 03-07-2015 07:32 AM

Boy oh boy I forgot what a royal PITA the compound curves of the gull were to sheet. It's coming good though. Pics to follow.

stevegauth30 03-07-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by cjray (Post 11996789)
That's him. I had talked with him about possibly making a birdcage canopy for mine. I'm still hoping he'll have an opportunity to do that. I'm at a point with the fuse that I could actually use it to make sure the Turtle deck is the right shape, height, etc.

I'm with you, Steve. I want some scale, but not sure how far I want to go yet. I've just have to get my Focke Wulf out of the way and get back to building the Corsair. My fuse and tail surfaces are probably 90% completed, I've just got to build the wing.......and not screw it up.

Jason, if your building the wing from kit, you shouldn't have any issues. The jig tabs take most of the thinking out for you. I just wish I had them.

ctflyboy 03-08-2015 10:16 AM

Hey Guys,
Is it my computer or is it RCU they seem to be running incredibly slow,seems to take forever to load the page
George

stevegauth30 03-08-2015 10:22 AM

Dinately RCU. Doing the same for me.

rt3232 03-08-2015 11:48 AM

yep

stevegauth30 03-08-2015 12:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
An update on the corsair wing. The top is sheeted. Came out ok. I know I don't need to tell you guys what a pain the center section is, but I just did anyway. Lol. I'm not going crazy on detail, and I know it's not to scale, but I made up these skins for the inside wheel wells. Looks better to me than just leaving it bare. I also got to looking at how thin the ribs are at the bottom of the wells so I first glassed the inside sheeting and laminated up a piece if 16th balsa sheet sandwiched between carbon fiber and epoxied to the tops of the ribs for strength. I'll also prime and paint inside the wells before closing up the sheeting. My plan is to tack in a false rib so when I sheet the bottom of the wing the sheeting will hold the right shape over the open wheel well so I can get the right contour when I lay up the doors. Still some more work to do before I can close up the bottom, but it's coming. Here's a few pics.

rt3232 03-08-2015 02:06 PM

Steve

All looks good, just check the wheel/tire you plan on using in the wheel well on those rib's as I had to remove nearly all of mine.

Just a heads up

Cheers Bob T

stevegauth30 03-08-2015 02:25 PM

It's hard to say without having the retracts on hand, but the wheel itself fits with room to spare. The pics are deceiving. There's only about 3/16 left on the rib. Hence the CF.

rt3232 03-08-2015 05:32 PM

Steve
I know this is not your first rodeo, but I would not do any more to the wing until you have the retracts so you can get to hole's for the wire if electric or air lines if air, you don't want to have to pull sheeting later.

Just my thoughts

Cheers Bob T

stevegauth30 03-08-2015 05:58 PM

I was just going to run the air lines and all wiring before I sheet the bottom. I have plenty of air line. I would think once the lines are run there's really not much more to do to it. Either way, there's still plenty of other stuff to do. I'm hoping to order the retracts soon.

rt3232 03-09-2015 03:52 AM

Well If I were doing again I would rough fit Ailerone's and flaps to have room for fitting servo's and linkage.

Again that is just me.

Cheers Bob T

stevegauth30 03-09-2015 08:08 AM

I certainly value your thoughts and opinions Bob. Definitely would be way easier to do now.

cjray 03-09-2015 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by stevegauth30 (Post 11997492)
Jason, if your building the wing from kit, you shouldn't have any issues. The jig tabs take most of the thinking out for you. I just wish I had them.

Yes, I am building from the kit. Well, somehow, I managed to screw up at the very start of the wing, and glue the 6 spar pieces together about 1/4" too long, so I got to pay extra and reorder those pieces to redo it correctly. So far that is all that I have built of the wing. Hopefully I can do the rest without screwing it up. Yours is looking good, by the way.

rt3232 03-09-2015 01:38 PM

Jason

When you build up the center section spars if not all ready, add some C/F in the laminations speciffically between rib 1 & 2 (the slot ware the gear lag goes), as that is ware on a hard landing the wing will buckle.

Cheers bob T

ctflyboy 03-09-2015 05:21 PM

Hey guys,
does anyone know how to contact rcu from the thread? Or should I just contact a moderator?
George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1

rt3232 03-10-2015 04:30 AM

George
Go To RCU's home page and kinda in the upper right there is a " HELP ME" click on that and I think that will get you started

Cheers Bob T

cjray 03-10-2015 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rt3232 (Post 11999073)
Jason

When you build up the center section spars if not all ready, add some C/F in the laminations speciffically between rib 1 & 2 (the slot ware the gear lag goes), as that is ware on a hard landing the wing will buckle.

Cheers bob T

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I do already have it glued, but I'll see what I can do with it.

rt3232 03-10-2015 06:43 PM

Jason

If you have time go to Post # 1 you will see an old index it's not up to date butI still use it when ensuring questions, as I have had 2 computer crashes and lost a lot of my note's & pic's. It can be a big help to you, and like I have been telling all of the guys over the years plan your build 3 steps ahead of what you are doing, it saves doing things 3 times, and don't ask how I know:(

Cheers Bob T

acdii 03-11-2015 06:46 AM

When I built the wing for my 60 Corsair, I waited until I got the retracts, and its a good thing too as the plan retract position did not work for the CJ retracts I got, and had a lot to modify to make them fit properly, but they did fit nice and work nice and smooth.

cjray 03-11-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rt3232 (Post 12000016)
Jason

If you have time go to Post # 1 you will see an old index it's not up to date butI still use it when ensuring questions, as I have had 2 computer crashes and lost a lot of my note's & pic's. It can be a big help to you, and like I have been telling all of the guys over the years plan your build 3 steps ahead of what you are doing, it saves doing things 3 times, and don't ask how I know:(

Cheers Bob T

yup, I've used it numerous times. I've been through the whole thread actually, which took quite a while, but tons of great info.

acdii,
that's partially why mine is on hold. I haven't bought those yet, and know I need them first, of course then I got hung up on other projects.