RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3401831-p-6e-curtis-hawk-build-thread.html)

Baroncowboy 12-30-2005 06:55 PM

RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

1 Attachment(s)
Since the topic seems to be on modifications,I thought Id post a couple of pics to!

I dont know about you guys,but I thought the stock pilot looked a little light in the heels! Haha
Seems Great planes suplied him with lipstick,and his leather was a little to shiny for me,so I fixed him up a little with some flat acrilics....

Second pic decribes the way I installed a custom needle valve adjustment rod I worked over with left over parts... You can only do this mod if you mounted the throttle servo in the cowling like I did,as you will need the factory suplied throttle linkage components... I hope I made it simple enough in the picture for all to understand...Im unfortunately limited to windows "paint" to make diagrams,so their modest at best.... Anyhow hope you can use the idea... Josh

splais 12-30-2005 07:45 PM

Here is a link to my gasoline engine install on the Hawk. The engine is a Roto25 and as you can see the instrusion through cowl was minimal.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3700541/tm.htm

Wile E 12-30-2005 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HOOKEMUT,

I got the engine drawings from the First Place website and adjusted them to match the dimensioned sizes. I then scanned a 3-view of a P-6E and adjusted the cowling to the measurements of the one in the kit. The combined drawing is as accurate as I could make it with the available info, I'll let everyone know next week how I did when the engine comes in.
I'm also considering a more scale-like tailwheel type and location. More sketching to do. The modified one on my GP Stuka works quite well.

MANFRED 12-31-2005 01:23 AM

I couldn't handle the Gay Caballero pilot either, so I ordered one from Perfect Pilots. They take a bit of painting but are well worth the efforts when done.

hookemut 12-31-2005 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Wile E

HOOKEMUT,

I got the engine drawings from the First Place website and adjusted them to match the dimensioned sizes. I then scanned a 3-view of a P-6E and adjusted the cowling to the measurements of the one in the kit. The combined drawing is as accurate as I could make it with the available info, I'll let everyone know next week how I did when the engine comes in.
I'm also considering a more scale-like tailwheel type and location. More sketching to do. The modified one on my GP Stuka works quite well.
Hi,
Your Stuka tailwheel is a very good set-up! I plan to use it.
Do you have any use history/data on the First Place 1.3 engine? Sig apparently has a close lock on it.
Again, Happy New Year!
Jim

Strykaas 12-31-2005 09:05 AM

Nice vid ! But that pond is nasty !! thx for sharing ;)

hookemut 12-31-2005 10:04 AM

Pond?? Vid??
ce qui est celui?
Happy New Year

Wile E 12-31-2005 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: hookemut

Hi,

Do you have any use history/data on the First Place 1.3 engine? Sig apparently has a close lock on it.

Jim

Dont have much info on the First Place Engines. Chief Aircraft sells them, so they must think they are ok. The 1.3 is an odd size (21cc) but looks perfect for this application, we'll see.

Wade

sseward 12-31-2005 08:01 PM

Finished installing the electronics tonight, but I'm waiting to get the RCV on before I position my onboard glow. It may go out on top of the firewall, depending on how much weight I still need after putting on the engine and the Keleo custome exhaust.

I don't know about anyone else, but working inside I'm still amazed at how well designed this plane is. As a builder, it looks like the whole structure was well planed out. I love the ARFs, but I would love it if they'd put this out as a kit. Then I could do a scale tail wheel, mount the aileron servos inside the wing, etc as has been discussed here. This just looks like it would be fun to build!

Anyway, almost there!

Steve

GaGeeBees 01-01-2006 07:53 PM

Sounds like you're almost there, Steve! It is a very well built machine and just what I've come to expect from Great Planes. I got a couple more flights in this afternoon. Can't think of a better way to start the new year :D Regarding kit building... Royal used to make one and you see them come up for sale once in a great while. I don't know if anyone else is kitting this plane right now. It would be a challenging project.

How about some progress reports from the rest of the folks. What's going on out there?

Happy and prosperous New Year to all.

splais 01-01-2006 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after nearly a month of screwups, delays and everything going wrong that could, I finally got to fly my Hawk today with the Roto25 gasoline engine. I managed about five flights on the plane; two of which were deadsticks due to problems with the low end on a brand new engine.

My complete plane with Roto25 engine, pitts muffler and Slimline smoke system was 16.2 pounds. I don't know how, but the CG came out spot on without any changes. First time that ever happened. And I almost forgot, it took zero trim changes on it's first lift off - amazing. Flight report follows:

The Hawk is a kitty. I flew every flight after the first on high rates. I can't imagine what this plane would be like at 14 pounds, because at 16 pounds it took off and landed like a trainer. It has absolutely no bad habits at slow or fast speeds. The new Roto flew the plane well. It definitely was not overpowered, but it will fly the Hawk in any manner for which it was designed. I can hardly wait to get her broken in a little more so I can try the smoke system. The plane flew inverted beautifully with just a tad of forward stick required. On my two deadsticks she had a very long glide slope and flew at slow speed easily. I love the gear on the Hawk. Great Planes has really done a great job. Don't know what aluminum it is but the spring is just right for great landings and appears strong enough to withstand rather severe impacts without bending. the Roto25 is very stingy on fuel. Probably would fly for a good 20 minutes on a tank. I barely got below half on each of my flights. I would give this bird all the throw you can get on all control surfaces for maximum enjoyment. I didn't try any full knife edge yet, but high angle of bank straight flight was very easy. Loops, stalls turns, barrel rolls, wing overs, inverted flight - all great. The plane is striking in the air. This is one of the most solid feeling planes I've had - she is a beaut. Hopefully some video with smoke in a week or two.

I apologize for the lack of airborne pics, but my cameraman left a lot to be desired. next weekend I'll take the pics

sseward 01-01-2006 08:00 PM

GeeBees...I have a Maratuka (Royal) P-6e as well as the old Goldberg kit. The Goldberg is about 90% done and I've modified it to make it more fliable. It has carbon fiber rods in the foam wings for stiffness, and so far the whole thing is about 1lb under the designed weight!

I've built a few GP kits and I was just thinking how sweet it would be to get this one in kit form.....although having the cowl and pants painted is sure nice!

Steve

serge760 01-01-2006 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my plane in flight

Capt G 01-01-2006 08:52 PM

Great pics! mine is coming along fine. Maybe done by next week.

prophead 01-01-2006 08:54 PM

That is a nice shot Serg, cant wait to fly mine. I worked on it all weekend and I'm now real close to taking her out to the field weather permitted. I'm jealous.

Kelvin

optech 01-01-2006 09:03 PM

Splais,

Very cool! Nice report.

I knew I should'a dragged myself to the field today. Something always seems to crop up [&o].

Can't wait to finish a few projects and get started on mine. Might wait until somebody installs an FPE 1.3 and see how it goes. I've heard very good reports on that engine. Otherwise.... a Saito 1.20 it is.

Later,
Mike

sseward 01-01-2006 09:49 PM

Tonight I finished up mounting the wings and struts.

Question for the group. Did anyone else have to work the cabane struts to get them to hit the wood block? After mounting the upper wing on the N-struts, the cabanes where not exactly "laying" where they were supposed to. I had to encourage them to move up a little to make sure I was tapping into the wood reinforcement. My thougts go back to my previous post where I joined the lower wings and commented on the dihedral angle. If you recall when I was joining the lower wing the space at the wing tips was a little high (3/4" as opposed to the reco 1/2"). I worked the wing roots and joiner to get the angle right and the space is exactly right, and I even checked it again tonight. My thought is that if I had just gone with the built in dihedral, the lower wings would have been slightly higher at the tips and would have thusly raised the upper wing, and the cabanes would have probaly dropped right into place.

ANYWAY.....I got 'er done and It looks like everythings ok. All the hardwares tightened down and the wings look awesome!

Now....all I need is my metric bolts and the custom exhaust!

BTW...keep posting those pictures and flight reviews....it keeps me going!

Steve

speedpro 1 01-01-2006 11:09 PM

when i put mine together my lower wing also had more than the block spacers but i just left it that way and i still had to help the center support up also.the way i measured they were just below the hard wood strips

sseward 01-02-2006 08:52 AM

speedpro...thanks! I figured I wasn't the only one with this issue. I'm taking the wings off this morning and I'll have a look inside to see where I came through the blocks. I did lots of measurements and marked the blocks on the outside (non-perm ink) so I made sure to hit thm. I just didn't like having to put tension on the cabanes, but it worked out ok.

Steve

GaGeeBees 01-02-2006 10:09 AM

Food for thought on the cabane mounts... I had a small mishap with mine and nosed over due to the wheel pants snagging on tall grass. One of the screws pulled all the way out of the fuse and brought the mounting block with it. Repairs were relatively simple and you can't even see where it happened now. However, I put a layer of glass cloth over the hardwood blocks inside the fuse and gave it a liberal coating of epoxy. I also changed from the self tapping mounting screws to machine screws with lock washers and blind nuts. My cabanes are now rock solid. Not a criticism of the construction of the airplane at all. Pilot error was the cause (as is usually the case with me) :D

hookemut 01-02-2006 10:41 AM

Hi,
You have a beautiful model, and have given us a very nice and complete report! I'm just now starting to assemble my Hawk, and am quite envious of yours! Best of luck, and Happy New Year.
Jim

ORIGINAL: splais

Well, after nearly a month of screwups, delays and everything going wrong that could, I finally got to fly my Hawk today with the Roto25 gasoline engine. I managed about five flights on the plane; two of which were deadsticks due to problems with the low end on a brand new engine.

My complete plane with Roto25 engine, pitts muffler and Slimline smoke system was 16.2 pounds. I don't know how, but the CG came out spot on without any changes. First time that ever happened. And I almost forgot, it took zero trim changes on it's first lift off - amazing. Flight report follows:

The Hawk is a kitty. I flew every flight after the first on high rates. I can't imagine what this plane would be like at 14 pounds, because at 16 pounds it took off and landed like a trainer. It has absolutely no bad habits at slow or fast speeds. The new Roto flew the plane well. It definitely was not overpowered, but it will fly the Hawk in any manner for which it was designed. I can hardly wait to get her broken in a little more so I can try the smoke system. The plane flew inverted beautifully with just a tad of forward stick required. On my two deadsticks she had a very long glide slope and flew at slow speed easily. I love the gear on the Hawk. Great Planes has really done a great job. Don't know what aluminum it is but the spring is just right for great landings and appears strong enough to withstand rather severe impacts without bending. the Roto25 is very stingy on fuel. Probably would fly for a good 20 minutes on a tank. I barely got below half on each of my flights. I would give this bird all the throw you can get on all control surfaces for maximum enjoyment. I didn't try any full knife edge yet, but high angle of bank straight flight was very easy. Loops, stalls turns, barrel rolls, wing overs, inverted flight - all great. The plane is striking in the air. This is one of the most solid feeling planes I've had - she is a beaut. Hopefully some video with smoke in a week or two.

I apologize for the lack of airborne pics, but my cameraman left a lot to be desired. next weekend I'll take the pics

serge760 01-02-2006 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a other one

mobyal 01-02-2006 07:05 PM

Hi guys --
New to the forum here, but it's most interesting.
Just got my Hawk last week and will be starting on it soon. I have a choice of engines. I'll probably go w/ an OS120, but I also have an EVO 1.0. I haven't seen any comments on that. What's the consensus? Think that would work? Plus, someone has a pic of a tailwheel other than the kit -- which I don't like. Can you please identify it, plus a site link?
TIA
Al Carr

GaGeeBees 01-02-2006 07:22 PM

Al, I think the tailwheel shown is sold by Central Hobbies www.centralhobbies.com

I'm not familiar with the EVO 1.0. My Hawk has the OS 1.20 and it's an excellent match. Plenty of power but not grossly over-powered. You're going to enjoy this model.

Baroncowboy 01-02-2006 08:36 PM

Here are the specs for your engine,and the widely popular OS 120 4-Stroke... In my opinion your EVO should have more than enough to get the job done,as I understand a .90 will fly it fine,just not a power house setup...
I have a Saito 1.50 on mine,and it jerks a not in my plane if I have at it... Only need about 1/4th throttle for the entire flight,but if I need the extra power to get outa trouble,Its there!
You might concider mounting your weight box over the engine by makeing an over hang suport off the front of the fire wall box... Someone else in this forum did this,and it saved alot of weight being added... I used the battery in my weight box,and thats about all I needed to balance mine out without adding any extra balast...This will help to keep it light enough to be able to take full advantage of runnning a smaller engine...
Hope this helps> Josh

PS. Im thinking about buying a tail wheel setup for mine aswell,and I noticed the full scale Hawks tail wheel was quite a bit larger than the one suplied...Im concidering buying the smallest trexler balloon wheel they make and using it as the tail wheel in the correct location....Anyone else thought of this??? I thought maybe it might help with rough landings aswell since Trexler's are inflateable...

EVO 1.0 SPECS

Bore: 1.14 in (29.0 mm)
Stroke: .99 in (25.0 mm)
Total w/muffler Weight: 28.4 oz or 806 gr
Benchmark Prop: APC 14x6 at 11,400 rpm
Prop Range: 13x6-16x4
RPM Range: 1400-13,000 rpm

O.S. FS-120S-E

Bore: 30.4mm (1.22" )
Stroke: 27.5mm (1.08" )
Power Output: 1.9 BHP at 11,000 RPM
Weight-With Muffler: 33.3oz (944g)