RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3401831-p-6e-curtis-hawk-build-thread.html)

k8bvj 08-18-2008 12:53 PM

RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

1 Attachment(s)
d

Slviper 08-18-2008 01:00 PM

Holy Hacksaw!
I stand corrected.
Steve

MLC 08-20-2008 03:11 PM

Anybody come up with a quicker method of bolting up the wings? Those 8 bolts and nuts on the struts are a pain.

k8bvj 08-20-2008 03:38 PM

Do what I do. Keep the cabane and strut's mounted on the upper wing. when you arrive at the field, mount the bottom wing and then the upper wing with all the strut's and center cabane already mounted and then screw down the bottom wing screw's. Total time 5 min's.

Jack (Owner of 2 Hawks)

k8bvj 08-20-2008 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
g

SunShyne 08-20-2008 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: k8bvj

d

k

thanks for the pics, hmmm...

I am wondering if the 26GT might fit better since it seems a bit slimmer? The rearward carb might help? I would love to go gas without the cutting up of the cowl

flyfisher431 08-20-2008 10:11 PM

Check back on page 46 and you can see what the Virginians Birellie 26 and the evolution 26gt look like. Ben

kochj 08-23-2008 06:22 PM

The rear exhuast, carb. looks best.......

Too bad that RCS no longer caries the Roto engines!.........

The 35 and 26 were great engines!......

Both were rear mounted carbs and exhuast......

kochj 08-23-2008 06:24 PM

Cox hobbies .....
Been around a long time...

k8bvj 08-23-2008 06:36 PM

What is COxs? never heard of it..

kochj 08-27-2008 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: k8bvj

What is COxs? never heard of it..

http://www.coxmodels.com/

I think I may order it up tonight.......cc
Add another plane to the list that will have a hard time finding parts...... HAWK, GIANT CHIPMUNK, AEROMASTER, 85cc Linear Yak 54 , EXtra and Dymond Bearcat.......
Man I have lots of Disct. planes.........[:-]

kochj 08-27-2008 08:02 PM

I would really like to Get a Inline Saito 200TI in this Hawk though......
Throw a big Solo 3-blade prop on it and go do some nice relaxing scale flying!!!!

Goldfinger41 08-31-2008 06:13 PM

K8bvj

I notice you have top wing assembled with outer struts arrow pointed toward leading edge.

I am just now assembling mine which was purchased 1 year ago, instructions say longest measurement towards the trailing edge.

? Does your center cabana struts fit without forceing them?

My top wing was assembled as per instructions, Flat at the top of wing.

I will have to put a 5/16" spacer at top of center cabana struts.

all struts are measured per instructions.

Thanks

Tommy_Gun 08-31-2008 08:37 PM

Here are some shots of my friends P6E with a Saito 1.50 for power.
He got the first flight on it yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/komepu/2008_08_30
http://lh3.ggpht.com/komepu/SLoYsIl0...JPG?imgmax=576

aubreyinhouston 09-01-2008 09:15 PM

Looks like your flying a 3 bladed prop. What the prop size and pitch.

Tommy_Gun 09-01-2008 11:29 PM

I'll ask him about the prop size for you tomorrow.
Another detail that can't be seen is the use of four air-loc fasteners to secure the cowl.
They are flush mounted spring loaded quarter turn fasteners that are used on full scale planes to secure cowls and access panels.

aubreyinhouston 09-02-2008 11:32 AM

Thanks Tommy Gun,
I would also like more info on the air-loc fasteners.. Sound like something I could use on my cowling for my PT-22. I'm building an Ikon N'West PT-22 which was a later all metal variant of the original Ryan STA-M. I'm trying to learn about covering the model with metal foil ( Flite Metal ) and adding rivets etc... http://www.scaleaero.com/flitemetal. Planning on putting a 5 cylinder Radial engine in it and being able to take the cowling apart ( which has the 5 cylinders sticking out ) using air-locs would make it so easy to get to the engine.
Thanks Again.

Tommy_Gun 09-02-2008 12:14 PM

Oops , slight error on the name of the fasteners.
They are actually called camlocs. Here is the info on them. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/20...l/Cat08106.pdf

You have to size their length based on the thickness of the flanges you mount the receptacles into and the thickness of cowl.

The prop used on the plane in the pictures with a Saito 1.50 is a Master Airscrew 16x8 3 blade.

k8bvj 09-02-2008 01:21 PM

Hi Goldfinger:

Yes the little arrow tape you see in the picture is correct, at the leading edge of the top wing indicating the short legs on the struts. Everything aligned perfect. If you have to force the upper wing for alignment, the dihedral on the bottom wing is incorrect or the top wing was'nt glued completely flat per instructions.

Good luck with your Hawk. Just came back from the Club field and had 4 flights with mine this morning, weather is beautiful but little on the warm side but it sure beats rain, etc.

Goldfinger41 09-02-2008 06:45 PM

Thanks k9bvj

I followed the forum instructions and it is dead wrong, wished I would have stuck with the original instructuons, I thought these guys knew what they where doing, but no way. Blind leading the blind.

Anyways evreything has lined up perfect, and I am a happy camper.

thanks
wade

tenacious101010 09-02-2008 08:09 PM

I followed the instructions on mine and the arrows on the struts as per instructions. The arrows were in the wrong place, I had to peel them off and oput them in the right place.

trysforscale 09-08-2008 12:03 PM

I built and flew mine this year , bit of a difference from a sig something extra !!!

I have a question for those of you that used a RCV 120 SP if your still following this thread . Did you use the factory tank location , and did you have a fuel draw problems ? I extended the engine mounting box and put the tank right behind the engine , in the engine mounting box , but this has made the plane very nose heavy on takeoff . I want to put the tank back in the factory location to make the plane more neutral during takeoff and have concerns about fuel draw over the long distance .

Guy.

sseward 09-08-2008 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: trysforscale

I built and flew mine this year , bit of a difference from a sig something extra !!!

I have a question for those of you that used a RCV 120 SP if your still following this thread . Did you use the factory tank location , and did you have a fuel draw problems ? I extended the engine mounting box and put the tank right behind the engine , in the engine mounting box , but this has made the plane very nose heavy on takeoff . I want to put the tank back in the factory location to make the plane more neutral during takeoff and have concerns about fuel draw over the long distance .

Guy.
Guy,
I've been flying mine on the 120SP using the factory tank location.....no issues drawing fuel.

Steve

foodstick 09-09-2008 12:22 AM

Guys I am almost afraid to tell you about my friends recent GP P6E test flight ............

It brings up some touchy subjects ;) He picked the plane up second hand with some bumps and bruises (minor) and it already had a cut or two in the cowl, so he ordered a spare cowl to keep for later, and then he shoe horned in a converted Poulan 46cc chainsaw motor !!! I swear its slower than we ever thought it would be, but it pulls good on that 20-8 prop, I don't have any numbers, but lets just say it will claw its way up vertical slightly better than scale ! ha ha

It still lands nice..sounds great, I can't tell you what it weighs for sure.., because heck as long as it balances out you are gonna fly it anyhow.. It SEEMS like it weighed near 14 lbs ?

I will try to get video later if I can...still can't believe they dropped this plane from production? The building days may be coming back the way arf prices are climbing !

trysforscale 09-09-2008 12:33 AM

Steve ,

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and reposition my tank . Should help out on takeoffs , not so nose heavy .

Guy.