RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3401831-p-6e-curtis-hawk-build-thread.html)

GaGeeBees 08-23-2009 04:44 AM

RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Nice work loukos! Good luck with the maiden. These are great flyers.

zdsh13 08-23-2009 06:42 AM

I just maidened mine last week, setup was with a Saito 120, the plane flew fine and would loop from level flight without a stall out over the top. I just found that I was always running at WOT and needed to be careful in sharper turns. Unfortunately I had a small mishap :( , on my 3rd landing the plane rolled into some taller grass and flipped hard to split my vertical fin. Repairs already completed and just need to recover the fin with monokote, I have also changed out the motor to a Saito 150.

loukos 08-23-2009 11:54 PM

I had a bit of a mini adventure with this kit, i love this plane, i have the old royal kit, never been round to building it so when i saw this one at my LHS i bought it. I dont like arfs, the quiality is very good indeed however mine had two bad blindnuts in the wings for the cabanes from the factory. Because of this i decided to strip the whole airframe, replace the blind nuts and recover it with solartex and paint it to get a more scale look:D

Did any of you guys modify the nut and bolt system for the interplane struts? Im worried about vibrations although im using lock nuts, which will be ok, however they will need replacing after constanly loosening and tightening them, anyone been more adventerous on this point?

teamvortex 11-27-2009 08:40 PM

This may have already been covered, but I'm considering using an Evolution 1.2 2 stroke mounted upright. Thoughts?

jdcook54 12-28-2009 07:16 PM

I read through this long thread and still cant decide what motor to use

Doug

ivancant 12-28-2009 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JD,

I have an OS 120 FS in mine and is it ever sweet. With a 3-blade Graupner 14 x 7 prop she puts along nicely at 1/2 throttle. And the sound is great! I think you will be pleased with a similar setup. Don't forget the flying wires.
Here is a pic:

Capt G 12-28-2009 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Go with gas. Any 38-45 will be great. Mine has FPE 2.4 with 20x10 prop and flys great! (the pic is the old one with YS 1.20- not enough power)

ivancant 12-28-2009 09:54 PM

Capt,

Interesting... I considered putting a US 41 in mine as well. Didn't see much info on this kind of setup so I went with the 120 fs. Do you have any pics of your setup? I would love to see this. I still have the 41 that I can't find something to put it in. I could always use the 120 in another warbird. The largest Gas engine I have is the Zenoah G62 in the 1/3rd Fokker DVIII.

Thanks,[&:]
Brent

Bob Paris 12-29-2009 01:46 AM

Hi Guys,
I have had this kit for more then a year...bought a G38 from R/C Ignitions, a Kleeco scale smoke exhaust and a Solo three bladed prop...yet never built the kit. I am considering installing either an Evo 1.20 or S.T 2300 two strokes. I've never run gas, only nitro in all my years of modeling r/c and this will also be the largest model I will have ever built. At this point I'm not sure I will build the model, and wish it was in the .60 nitro size.

What do you guys feel about using the Evo 1.20 or S.T. 2300 ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

zdsh13 12-29-2009 02:03 AM

Mine flew scale like with the saito 120 fs, I have since installed a saito 150 and like the combination. I'm thinking a 1.20 two stroke would be a good fit if you are looking at two strokes only.

Bob Paris 12-29-2009 02:08 AM

Hay zdsh13,
I have never really liked 4-strokes...for the expence and also for the problems I've seen guys in our club flying these engines. I've run two strokes up to 1.00 and a lot of S.T. G90's in my WWII fighters (mostly .60~.90 size). The Evo 1.20 has a good rap...but I'm not sure about the S.T. 2300. I'm going to have to do some research on this engine.
Thanks for the help,
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

zdsh13 12-29-2009 02:46 AM

No problem, I ran 2 strokes for many years and they are usually bullet proof. I have not had any issues with my 4 strokes, if I install it inverted I use a cline regulator setup and I have no flooding issues. I love the sound of the fourstrokes, gas is the cheapest to run but I still enjoy the nitro's better.

GaGeeBees 12-29-2009 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I have had this kit for more then a year...bought a G38 from R/C Ignitions, a Kleeco scale smoke exhaust and a Solo three bladed prop...yet never built the kit. I am considering installing either an Evo 1.20 or S.T 2300 two strokes. I've never run gas, only nitro in all my years of modeling r/c and this will also be the largest model I will have ever built. At this point I'm not sure I will build the model, and wish it was in the .60 nitro size.

What do you guys feel about using the Evo 1.20 or S.T. 2300 ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
The G38 is a wonderful engine. Easy to start and maintain and no fiddling with mixture. All of mine have been basically "set and forget". They just run and run. Best of all, you can fly all day on $2.00 worth of fuel. The Evo 1.20 is excellent. I've not owned the ST 2300. I've got a couple ST 2500's and had to change the carburetors to OS. Once I did that, they've been terrific.

lashbuick 12-29-2009 07:03 AM

Bob,
I have the the same plane. I bought a Saito 125 Gold Knight. Now 2 months ago I bought the new O.S. 120 ax. It is lighter than a 4 stroke. Several guys have switched to these motors in place of Saito 4 strokes. I am impressed at there power. The guys claim they have same power as Saito 18o 4 stroke, and surprising they claim the feul consumption is less than the 4 stroke. Plus they run reliable on less expensive 5% fuel. I was so impressed with this motor I went and purchased one for the Curtis. Seems Saito quality is not as reliable as before, more people needing to send in for reapir. Saito is good about standing behind motors and repairing for free, but still you loose flying time while they are in repair. O.s. 120 turns 16x8 same r.p.m. as 180 Saito with 16x8 I have been told. Plus this engine is very quiet. I had Super Tiger 2300 threw a rod on first Gallon of fuel, while breaking in. Tower sent me a new O.S. 1.6 in exchange for Super Tigre without any charge, No one in my club uses Evolution 120 They say these are not as reliable as an O.S. 120. Too many dead sticks. This is just my own personal experiences and observations. Hope this add's some help. The O.S. 120 is quiet. It has a vey good sound and at $259.00 From Tower, seems like a bargain compared to Satio of $459.00. Also Muffler switches 2 ways.Pitts style or conventional. Whatever you choose wish you best of luck with Curtiss. One of best flying planes I know off, very docile plane. Also this is a fact, O.S. 120 AX seems run much smoother than a Saiot 180. In my opinion Zenoah 38 is too much engine for this plane. My friend has 26 cc Zenoah Gas With has way more than enough power to fly this plane. /actually too fast with 26, He needs to run at around 1/2 throttle. DAN

zdsh13 12-29-2009 07:25 AM

I have never had a single issue with any of my fourstrokes, all that is needed is to ensure the clearance is proper on the valves and that's it. I run 5 - 15% nitro with 20% oil content, I use a tach to set the HS needle to max RPM then back off 300 RPM. I have well over 20 different fourstrokes from Saito and OS ranging from the FA-30 to the FT-300. The larger twins are awesome :)

lashbuick 12-29-2009 08:26 AM

Do you own a Saito 180? I have been in this hobby since the early 70's. I too have 20+ 4 strokes. But do not own a Saito 180. I did not say all 4 strokes are bad. No one I know owns a Saito 180 any more. Read the reviews compare to new O.S. 120 2 stroke. Have you had any experience with the O.S. 120? Also why is EBAY flooded with Saito 180 4 strokes? This motor is known for exceesive Vibration. I belong to 2 clubs, and most flyers stay away from Saito 180. Yes Saito and O.S. have some nice 4 Strokes. Friend of mine would not sell me 180 Saito he had 4 sale. He also bought 120 O.S. 2 stroke to replace 180. Compare of both motors, and power. Then make your own decison. Read all the reviews then make your own decision. Like I said this is an observation from my 2 clubs. It is not a world wide poll. thank you. I also said I had a Saito 125, i did not say I had problems with them. But in last summer have seen more bearing failures in Saito motors than in 20 years. Hear Saito is now using Chinese bearings. But have no facts to back this up.

Bob Paris 12-29-2009 10:51 AM

Hay GaGeeBee,
Thanks for the report on the G-38...and to the rest of the guys that gave me the information about 4-strokes and the OS 120...thanks.

I'll go with the G-38...I was a little reluctant because of its size of this engine and also just how to start this engine. The gentleman at R/C Ignitions, that sold me this engine, was kind enough to sell me an engine he had already broken in and had pre-set the carb. I guess its time to get off the pot...and use this engine.

As to the kit...Its beautiful. No question about it, it is not only well thought out, put together well, but the covering is flawless on my model too. Now its going to take me a week to go through all the information in this thread all you folks were kind enough to write up.

Thanks for all your advice and Happy New Years to you all...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

GaGeeBees 12-29-2009 11:35 AM

Hi Bobby,

You're going to love how this airplane flies. It's one of the best bipes I've ever owned. I liked it so much I bought a second one before they were discontinued. lashbuick is right about the G38 being plenty of engine but that's why the throttle is there. You can always throttle back. Your Solo prop is a nice piece of work as well. I wish they still made 'em. Be sure and keep us up to date as you build. Happy New Year!

Paul

flyfisher431 12-29-2009 12:20 PM

Hey Paul,
Guess you didn't here. Solo is back in Business under new owners. http://www.soloprops.com/

I was realy worried when Carl shut his doors. I'me working on my Hawk this winter. Evo 26, Kelo Scale Exahust, scale mod of the tail wheel.

Cheers.

Ben

GaGeeBees 12-29-2009 01:31 PM

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the info on Solo props! I hadn't heard that they were back. That's great news. I'm going to have to get one now :D

Post some pics of your build. You'll like the Keleo exhaust. It's a nice piece of work and really sounds terrific.

Thanks again,
Paul

jdcook54 12-29-2009 03:24 PM

Motors I was considering

EVO 26 - Already own
Saito 150 - love the sound, but had the 125 and wasnt thrilled with the vibration
Roto 35 or 35fs - cant quite figure whom in the US sells them
G-38 - but dont want to hack up the cowl, and I think it would be nose heavy
OS 120 2 stroke - good motor to have around for other things, not sure if I would like the sound

Doug

flyfisher431 12-29-2009 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

As I said I have the evolution 26GT in this plane and I’m very happy. It makes it possible to pull a loop out the level fight starting with half throttle. Anyhow, to flight scale only half throttle is necessary. What I don’t like of the other small gas engines is the side mount carburetor. You have to cut this nice cowl on the side – nah, not kewl. On the evolution the carb is in the front and the exhaust on the side. The evolution is even with the pitts style evolution muffler quiet.

The airplane flies very well knife edges, not much coupling. I was surprised how easy it was to fly the plane that way. But that’s the most “advanced” aerobatics which is this plane capable of.

My upgrades so far.
Pilot, my wife is a doll doctor and she made the hands and a leather jacket I made the control stick and the throttle lever. Made some switches and levers for the front console and of coarse the instruments.
Wings, anti skid for the pilot and handles to climb in the cockpit. Finally the flying wires are installed too.
Engine, 3-blade prop – master airscrew 16X8, works just fine. The engine pulls this prop 8600rpm. The plane climbs better with this prop then the 17X6 two blade.

Here some pictures from yesterday…

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Doug,
G-Pete has one of these birds with the Evo 26GT. above is his description. give him a shout and he may tell you more.

Ben

zdsh13 12-29-2009 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: lashbuick

Do you own a Saito 180? I have been in this hobby since the early 70's. I too have 20+ 4 strokes. But do not own a Saito 180. I did not say all 4 strokes are bad. No one I know owns a Saito 180 any more. Read the reviews compare to new O.S. 120 2 stroke. Have you had any experience with the O.S. 120? Also why is EBAY flooded with Saito 180 4 strokes? This motor is known for exceesive Vibration. I belong to 2 clubs, and most flyers stay away from Saito 180. Yes Saito and O.S. have some nice 4 Strokes. Friend of mine would not sell me 180 Saito he had 4 sale. He also bought 120 O.S. 2 stroke to replace 180. Compare of both motors, and power. Then make your own decison. Read all the reviews then make your own decision. Like I said this is an observation from my 2 clubs. It is not a world wide poll. thank you. I also said I had a Saito 125, i did not say I had problems with them. But in last summer have seen more bearing failures in Saito motors than in 20 years. Hear Saito is now using Chinese bearings. But have no facts to back this up.
Thats the great thing about this hobby, there is alot of variety to suit everyones desire. I've been flying since the early 80's and have alot of experience with glow engines, I got out of the hobby in the mid 90's to fund a full size build and got back into the hobby around 2002. Since then I have loved the Saito line and do own alot of the larger 4 strokes, 1.20, (2) 1.50's, (2) 1.80's, 2.20. I currently have the 2.20 installed in the GP Ultimate 160 and it runs awesome. Runs a 20x6 zinger at 8500 RPM and idles at 1850 RPM with remote glow heat. I agree there is more vibration with the larger 4 strokes but I found it no worse than going to a single gas engine.

I still believe the biggest problem people have with the larger 4 strokes is the fuel plumbing from the tank, I found that the cline set up has worked perfectly for me and I tend to use it with every setup, especially with my OS FT-300 and FF-240 as the carb is below the engine and it is impossible to lower the fuel tank enough to align the tank with the carb.

I also think the main issue with the Saito 180 was people trying to replace the OS 1.60 2 stroke with the 4 stroke 1.80 and then finding out they needed to run 30% nitro to make up the HP difference, when really all they needed was the 2.20 instead. I don't 3d but still enjoy an overpowered airplane like all of us, we just need to run the engine at the designed specs.

As companies try to compete with prices parts get substituted, I have not lost a bearing yet but I do run my engines dry at the end of the day and I use ATF as an after run oil to coat the bearings.

Either way, the 1.20 2 stroke will be more than enough power to fly the P-6E, the performace would probably be close to or a little better than a 1.80 four stroke.

tenacious101010 12-29-2009 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one of these with a G-38 in it. It is the magneto ignition. There was no balance issue, It came out perfect. I fly off of pavement and the plane would roll no matter what prop or idle adjustment I made. I put a small spring and washers on the tailwheel,that took care of the rpoblem. I also installed a transmitter controlled cut off switch in case the tailwheel came off.
I love the way it flies with this engine and in my opinion, the cowl wasnt hacked up bad. The best thing about the G-38 is no covering coming loose from glow fuel. After each flight, no clean-up needed,I really like that.
Denny

tenacious101010 12-29-2009 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the close-up pictures of the G-38 install, here are some of them for comparison of how the engine fit.
Denny