RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3401831-p-6e-curtis-hawk-build-thread.html)

samparfitt 09-28-2005 07:40 AM

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

1 Attachment(s)
A fellow club member pointed this out to me.
A real nice looking plane.
Due in Dec from Great Planes.
76" ws.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDU9&P=7

Ram-bro 09-28-2005 11:57 AM

RE: P-6E Curtis hawk

is it a ARF or in kit form? eve rmind, Isee its an ARF. WOW , builders are a thing of the past apparently.......to bad

Dai Phan 09-28-2005 12:45 PM

Hi,

It's an ARF. It looks like the most scale looking biplane in the pre WWII area that GP released. The DRI and TM are barely passable but this one looks good. DP

Jim_McIntyre 09-28-2005 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro
builders are a thing of the past apparently.......
Let's not get carried away. The pictures look pretty good but it sure has that plastic look to me, real aircraft just don't look like that.

Ever seen the 3SeeBees ARFs ... better competition for us builders if you ask me.;)

samparfitt 10-18-2005 07:35 PM

Tower now has a video and manual listing (couldn't get the video to work).
They've dropped their price.
New date has actually been moved up to late November.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLDU9&P=ML

GP also now has it listed.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1219.html

The GP says .61-.91 2 stroke but the manual says .91-1.08.
I'm tempted to believe the manual's range as a .61 sounds too weak for such a large plane.
Looks like the manual has an OS 1.20 4-stroke as an example.
4 servos of minimum 54 oz.
Manual very similar to their PT-17.

ps: the video's now working.

MANFRED 10-19-2005 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dang me! What'll they come up with next?

SunShyne 10-19-2005 11:35 AM

im in line to get one at my LHS :) Cant wait for mine. I have a spare YS 120 laying around that I might put in it

matt

gary9648 10-19-2005 03:10 PM

Gang, saw one of these flown at the NATS by Dave Johnson of the GP group in funscale. It really looked great. Can not remember what he had in it for power. It is all monokote with painted cowl and wheel pants.
Gary

flash over 10-28-2005 09:31 PM

Is this a flat bottom air foil,and if so how well will it fly inverted?

MANFRED 10-28-2005 10:55 PM

How well did the fullscale fly inverted and why?

samparfitt 10-29-2005 05:42 AM

Looks like the due date is now mid-December.

flash over 10-30-2005 12:15 PM

I don't know if the full scale flew inverted or not,But for some silly reason my planes tend to spend as much airtime inverted as upright.;)

splais 11-21-2005 09:24 PM

I have pre-ordered one of these. Tower now has a limited quantity in stock (11-25-05). I am going to start a build thread as soon as I get it. :D

samparfitt 12-01-2005 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It arrived yesterday at the LHS and I picked her up today.
Real nice: even I will be able to build this baby in no time.
Everything was well packed and all arrived in good shape.
My first warbird with two wings!
A OS 4-stroke 120 is going in her.

First pic:
The box as it arrived.

The fiber fuse to the left is Ziroli's P-51(just arrived yesterday).
The Ziroli's fuse comes in two parts.
Anyone know if anyone makes a conversion to a P-51B for this fuse?

Well, back to the main subject.

Second pic:
As packed.

Third pic:
Fuse.
Very light.

Fourth pic:
fuse bottom: facing rear.

Fifth pic:
fuse bottom: facing forward

Sixth pic:
Cowl and pants: they have nice rivet detail.

seventh pic:
Tail feathers: all built up.

Eighth pic:
Bottom wing: top/bottom sides shown.

Ninth pic:
Top wing: top/bottom sides shown.

Tenth pic:
Lots of quality parts.

prophead 12-01-2005 02:44 PM

Hey Sam what about scale exhaust?

prophead 12-01-2005 02:46 PM

Kelvin here from Keleo-Creations, I'm starting to get questions as to wether or not I'm going to build a scale exhaust for this plane. Well I have decieded if I get enough support that maybe I would consider this idea. I'm thinking that the price would be somewhere around $130 to $150 and would be a full working exhaust system both sides the cowl. I would like orders in advance and would need about three months to work it out. I would have to buy the plane and an engine to design this so I think you can see why I would want comentments on this in advance. What do you guys think?

You can look at my work if you dont allready know me at .....

www.keleo-creations.com

Thanks in advance
Kelvin

IronicRcAv8r 12-01-2005 04:56 PM

Got mine today --- RCV120 for power. Will have to say that it looks very well built and the covering does not have one wrinkle anywhere. Will get pics as the build progresses.

I would be very interested in the scale exhaust -- if you make it will it have some kind of universal connector -- as I see this will be a plane that will have many different makes of engines go in.

chasrb 12-01-2005 04:56 PM

Sounds like a plan!

prophead 12-01-2005 05:06 PM

I would make it for as many of the engines as I possibly can.

Kelvin

sseward 12-01-2005 05:45 PM

Kelvin,
I'm one of the nuts that e-mailed you asking for the exhaust. I'm in if you build it! I guess I just have to decide if I'm going to us my OS 120 pumper of buy th RCV.

Mine should be here Monday, but I'll be on travel. My wife says it will be confiscated and wrapped by the time I get back....not fair!

Steve

chasrb 12-01-2005 05:52 PM

"off topic" Steve, what club are you in? I am in the FARM and PWCRC.

sseward 12-01-2005 06:19 PM

Chas....thought I recognized your handle. I'm the PWCRCF treasurer!

Steve

prophead 12-01-2005 06:34 PM

Ok it looks like I have three of you on board is that correct? If you guys would be willing to pay up front I will purchase that arf and get busy on the design. Anybody in? It would be hard for me to make that purchase otherwise, hope you understand.

Kelvin

sseward 12-01-2005 07:57 PM

Kelvin, If it looks anything as good as the P51 exhaust you did, just tell me how to pay. The only problem I see for you is finding one of these. They've already sold out at Tower.

Steve

splais 12-01-2005 08:33 PM

Kelvin, could you give a little more explanation of how your exhaust would fit this plane andwhat kind of engines you are limited to - gas or glow, 2 or 4 stroke, etc.

chasrb 12-01-2005 08:40 PM

Okay Steve now I know who you are. How's the field coming along I have not been able to go see. It should be a good field for the P6e

sseward 12-01-2005 09:06 PM

Chas,
No progress yet. We've just been told it will be done by 6 May. I have so many planes, including the new P-6e that will not see air time until the field is redone.

I guess it will give me time to see if Kelvin can do an exhaust!

Steve

IronicRcAv8r 12-01-2005 11:29 PM

My local hobby shop has one in stock --

I am in for the exhaust -- tell me how to pay

I have the wings assembled on mine and the vertical and horzontal stabs on -- looks pretty well so far!! Hopefully my RCV engine shows up tomorrow -- if it does could possibly be flying it this weekend -- now if it would only warm up!!!!

prophead 12-02-2005 10:51 AM

Tower Hobbies has them in stock again, i will order one today so that i can get started on the scale exhaust. I plan on starting with the RCV 120 engine and will work through the others as time goes on. For those of you that have questions that i have not answered, send me an email with a phone number and i will call you and we can talk. Same for those that would like to pay in advance, send me a phone number and we will work out the details.

Kelvin

sseward 12-02-2005 02:37 PM

Well, I guess this pushes me closer to the RCV!

Hey Ironic....where did you order your 120 sp from?

Kelvin, I'll send you a note with my phone number and personal e-mail address.

Steve

prophead 12-02-2005 06:14 PM

Ok I ordered the plane and the engine today and should have them by the end of next week. I will get started right away on design and wont know until i get the model what that design will be. I will post some pictures here as I progress.

Kelvin

t_burley 12-02-2005 06:29 PM

saw one today at the LHS. very nice looking ARF.

IronicRcAv8r 12-03-2005 01:19 PM

I ordered my RCV from my LHS -- they expect it in by early next week -- Thats all I am waiting on to have mine airborne. I am making some balsa pieces to replace the plastic they send with the ARF to go around the vertical stab --- I can't seem to get the plastic to fit as perfectly as I would like -- so I figure while I am waiting for the engine I will make and cover those.

BradSD 12-03-2005 02:03 PM

What are these RCV engines, I have never heard of them? Who carries them?
Brad

chasrb 12-03-2005 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[link]http://www.rcvengines.com/[/link]

I have the 90 sp in a 1/6 sized P-51 with a 15.5 x 12 4 blade and it works great!. cooling is an issue.

[link]http://www.rcvengines.com/how-it-works.htm[/link]

IronicRcAv8r 12-03-2005 04:19 PM

Cooling should not be too big of issue with the Hawk -- there is about a 1" X 1" opening in the front of the cowl and a exit out the rear you could just about put your fist in -- at worst the preformed 1 X 1 whole might have to be enlarged some, but by far I think this engine will work the best for not having to cut up this big beautiful cowl.

sseward 12-03-2005 05:46 PM

The real P6e was liquid cooled, thus the big radiator underneath, so I guess GP took it upon themselves to make sure some much needed air got in and incorporated the opening in the front of the cowl. There is a "scoop" on top of the cowl that was for carb airflow on the prototype that I figure you can open up and direct down over the RCV as well. Since Kelving looks like he's gonna make the exhaust, I'm leaning heavily towards the RCV myself.

Steve

BradSD 12-03-2005 07:17 PM

Are you guys happy with the running and reliability of the RCV engines? You must be as it seems everyone is going that way. I have never seen these till now and have been flying a long time, no one at my field has one.
Brad

IronicRcAv8r 12-03-2005 07:51 PM

I have not ever used one personally, but have seen a few in action, and have not really read anything bad about them. The biggest thing I was concerned with was the break-in time, but I can get through that I am sure -- If you check out their website they have videos of the engines running on test stands, and a few on them in planes flying. The sound is like no other --

sseward 12-03-2005 10:18 PM

BradSD...I've never used one myself, though I've been very tempted. I've heard nothing but good things about how well they perform, the only issue being cooling. In radial engine planes where you can get lots of airflow it's not an issue, but in closed Inline cowlings, such as the P-6e you have to make sure you have enough flow through to keep them cool. The SP series engines are compact and they are also effectively gear reduced to a 2:1 ratio, so they can turn bigger props, though at a lower RPM. I know several RCV enthusiasts and they swear by them. As others have suggested above, check out their website and the forums here.

Steve