RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP 160 sized Texan (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3796502-cmp-160-sized-texan.html)

Lars N 11-14-2008 05:51 PM

RE: CMP 160 sized Texan

Mystar46 whats the negative about the flying skills on this plane? Where do you have the CG, is it like the drawings or have you moved it? Was is any reason that it snap rolled after take off?
My T-6 is sooon finish I hope:)

mystar46 11-14-2008 06:02 PM

I'm not sure what your question is. My first T6 was much heavier than the one that I fly now and I wasn't used to the way you have to handle it on the ground. I was holding too much up elevator to keep the tail on the ground and it hooked hard to the left, popped up off the ground and then snapped to the left and cartwheeled.
My advice would be the same as the others further back in this thread, hold very little up elevator, accelerate slowly and carefully and go easy on the rudder to keep it straight. Once it breaks ground, it's like it's on rails.
The CG on the plans is just right.
On your maiden just do some practice takeoff rolls to get the feel of it on the ground first. You'll see what I mean very quickly.

RCPILOT78 11-14-2008 06:03 PM

lowpaz Lars High, I have been flying mine for going on two years now and have never had a snap roll problem...mine is powered with a G-26 and takeoff and fly at half throttle..I probably have about 200 flights on her now....the hop skip and jump on landing is a common charastic of the AT-6...including the full scale one...landings require close attention to air speed and timing the flare just as the mains touch..other than that it is an excellent flyer...I am presently building the Yellow AT-6 101 inch wing span I had one many years ago and sold it to a friend he is still flying it.. .hope the comments help.

Lars N 11-14-2008 06:11 PM

Thank yo all for answers, I have a 26ccm engine and plans for smokesystem in my model. I should have finished this model years ago but thing takes time up here. I'm looking forward to test it wery soon, but not before mye exams are done.

mystar46 11-14-2008 06:32 PM

Lowpaz, don't worry man... it's a great flying plane, you just have to get used to its different feel. I would recommend keeping it light and getting some flights under your belt before adding the smoke system. You can always do it later. The T6 looks awesome with smoke!

patzane 11-15-2008 10:14 AM

Great video mystar. Like Ken said I was talk with my main guy here and he told me the same as the 26 would not be enough motor. I like to fly and 1/2 tho but 1/2 needs to be little more than scale speed. I don't want to but the 26 on and be out throttle the entrie time I fly. maybe Mystar or others with the 26 can share if they wide open or not.

ORIGINAL: mystar46

Here's my latest video with 26ei. As you can see it has plenty of power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczzAfnmOQ0

Ken41 11-15-2008 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics of the XYZ 50cc installed. I used 1" dowel stock to make the the engine standoffs, and the lengths were made to set the 2 degree rt and 2 degree down thrust. I am in the process of fitting the cowl with the carb and muffler installed. I'll post the pics later this evening.

speedpro 1 11-15-2008 03:57 PM

stupid question do you have to make a hole in the center wing section for your alieron wires to come through

mystar46 11-15-2008 08:40 PM

maybe Mystar or others with the 26 can share if they wide open or not.
Thanks for the compliment on the video. I fly at half throttle most of the time and only go to full for takeoff climb, steep climbs, loops, etc.

stupid question do you have to make a hole in the center wing section for your alieron wires to come through
If I recall, I did have to make a hole on either side of the wing center section that lined up with the existing lightening holes in the ribs. Then the extensions just go out the hole in the top of the center section.

jfckelly 11-15-2008 11:43 PM

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 160 sized Texan, and have the Sierra retracts, and an O.S. 160fx engine to go with it. At the moment I am working in a remote location in Southeast Asia, and have to use a cell phone to get internet, which is slow and very pricey. So if you guys could help me out with a few questions I would appreciate it.

1. What servos would be best suited for this plane

2.Does anyone have any experience with the O.S. 160fx, what prop size should I be running.

3. Any other bits and pieces recommended as far as hardware goes. I would hate to spend all my days off waiting on a back ordered part.

4. I fly off a fairly rough grass field, what is the biggest wheel I can run with the retracts.

Cheers
jfckelly

Ken41 11-16-2008 08:25 AM

jfckelly,

I have 4 1/2" Dubro on the one I am working on. They fit on the Sierra gear ok. I had to cut out the wheel wells for them to fit in the retracted position. The wheels are in the pictures that I posted about using the XYZ 50cc engine. I'll take some pics of the wheel wells this morning and post them.

Ken

patzane 11-16-2008 07:10 PM

i would like to see and hear how that 50 cc does on this baby. since the holiday coming mine would be a very slow build as the wife would kill me if i spend 800 plus right now. i been looking at the FTL 45 cc for mine. weight is 4 oz lighter than the g26 and the demension look the same

mystar46 11-16-2008 08:53 PM

I have 4" Robarts on mine with no modification necessary. They come with the scale wheel covers too.

Ken41 11-17-2008 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are more pics of fitting the cowl with the muffler and carb installed. The muffler lower corners required trimming to keep from opening up the cowl cutout. I'll make two little plates and braze them in place. If the muffler was on the right side, the muffler could have been modified to have the exhaust in the original position. Looking at full scale pics of the AT-6, I decided to use the 4 1/2" wheels. The wheels on the full scale look to be just about half of the cowl diameter.

Ken

Clarksville,
Southwest PA

patzane 11-19-2008 12:08 AM

great looking pic. what prop do you plan to use

patzane 11-21-2008 12:59 AM

Started on my AT-6 yesterday and now ready to order servos. I like Hitec's so I was think putting 475's for the alirons and rudder and 645 for the elevator. I did go with a 2 elevator set-up as I didn't like nitro's. You you all think the 475 would work or should I go with all 645's

speedpro 1 11-22-2008 12:25 AM

im going with 645s ive had two out of five 635s fail due to stripped Karbonite gears i see the 475 have Karbonite gears also ........................ give me metal

Chad Veich 11-22-2008 04:56 PM

If you guys have not already you may want to check out the thread on this airplane in the ARF forum. There is some concern over the adequacy of the structure in the wing center section. Just FYI, good luck with your Texans.

speedpro 1 11-22-2008 07:37 PM

thanks for the imfo

speedpro 1 11-22-2008 08:56 PM

here you go mystar46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrEua...eature=related

mystar46 11-23-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks Speedpro. Mike actually made that video just for me. Notice at the beginning he says 'Gidday David'.

Here's another one with some more closeups of the plane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4vLPunI-vE

Pretty cool huh?

speedpro 1 11-23-2008 03:13 PM

man thats a great looking plane . yours looks just like it in your video . the full scale looks like it landed at 10mph . hows yours doing

mystar46 11-23-2008 03:50 PM

Good. I have 15 flights on it now. I will be at Warbirds Over Delaware with it in July.
I'm thinking of buying another kit and making a more scale-like wing like I did with my first one. It had flaps and landing lights.

speedpro 1 11-28-2008 11:26 PM

mystar did bolt your g26 straight to firewall if not how far did you space it out to make that tru-turn spinner sit right

mystar46 11-29-2008 12:07 AM

mystar did bolt your g26 straight to firewall if not how far did you space it out to make that tru-turn spinner sit right
Yes, right to the firewall. The dummy radial engine is a Topflite 1/8 scale.