RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Trouble with Expert Onboard Glow Driver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4293537-trouble-expert-onboard-glow-driver.html)

Jeffpro 05-18-2006 09:26 PM

Trouble with Expert Onboard Glow Driver

I'm just about at the end of my rope and wondered if anyone had any advice.

Last fall I installed a Saito 220 in my H9 Mustang. The engine is mounted inverted and while it runs great, it won't idle very low. (As a test, I ran the engine right-side-up on a test stand and it idles great in that configuration. In fact, I broke it in on that test stand.) I tried different glow plugs (I normally use OS F glow plugs in my 4-strokes) and different fuels with different nitro levels; nothing helped. The engine just wouldn't idle low enough.

So I installed an Expert Electronics onboard glow driver. It wouldn't deliver enough current to get the glow plug hot. I tried 1-, 4-, and 5-cell batteries, to no avail. I sent the driver back to Horizon Hobby thinking it had to be defective. They sent me a new one. I installed the new one this morning and got the same results: the driver programs just fine, and it delivers current, but not enough to get the glow plug hot. The glow plug doesn't get the slightest bit red.

Has anyone else used Expert Electronics onboard glow drivers? Has anyone gotten better results with them than I have? Or are they just junk?

carlbecker 05-18-2006 10:03 PM

RE: Trouble with Expert Onboard Glow Driver

I have never used the expert glow driver but C-tronics works every time. I use them in all my planes that have a single. I use a McDaniels with my Saito 450r. Have you called the manufacturer? I would guess there is a circuit for on and off by throttle then and positive and neg lead to the plug. Have you measured the voltage at the plug wires. Do you have a good ground?

Carl

old-pilot 05-18-2006 10:04 PM

Jeffpro;

I've used the Expert glowdrivers for years with no trouble. I'm currently using more modern glowdrivers now.. What Battery are you using? NiCd? I've found that my 'old' technology NiMhs won't put out the current.. I've had good luck using both single cell (1.2V) and receiver packs (4.8V) which is what I liked about the Expert...

scalebirdman 05-19-2006 12:19 AM

I have the same situation as you... a inverted 220 needing onboard glow to idle. I used the expert driver, and it worked fine for a while, then stopped working. When I checked it out it was only outputting .25v. insead of the 1.2 volts needed. Input voltage read fine at 5v. I junked the driver and the 4 cell pack, and went with a single cell wired directly to the glow plug with a simple on/off switch. I have enough juice for 2 hours of flight time per charge, so not worried a bit about having the plug lit from startup to shut down.

Jeffpro 05-19-2006 06:23 AM

Ground is fine. Voltage checks fine. (Interestingly, the unit doesn't step down the voltage for 4- and 5-cell batteries; you see full voltage at the glow plug, but Horizon says the current is pulsed.) Just weak current. There must be too much internal resistance in the driver.

I'm using NiMH batteries, but I tried a NiCd just to be sure. No luck there either. I'm beginning to wonder if Horizon Hobby just sent me the same old driver in a new bag to shut me up. I complained to customer support when the driver sat in line for weeks waiting to be checked out. I told them I bought in new, it didn't work, and I shouldn't have to sit in line with all the other repair jobs just to get a defective unit replaced.

It's hard to believe that Expert onboard glows simply do not work. But that's all I can conclude after trying two of them.